2016 (Season 6) Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Loaf31, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

[​IMG]

2. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

6-1-1.PNG

Exposed a weak secondary for 381 passing yards. Almost all of it came out of pro sets - no shotgun pitching it all around stuff. Threw a couple picks, got sacked a couple times, tougher to run, and tougher to stop the run than last season. I like the feel so far.

Let's keep the blog in place and post here now and then. If history holds, I'll end up taking down some team threads at some point, so we need a place to post once guys start slacking. My main posts will be in my thread, but I'll post duplicates here, just to be thorough.

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]
    In a surprise to most throughout the Nation, the Wolverines coaching staff kept the baton in Senior QB Ryan Gay's hand for the first start of the season, as the Wolverines unloaded on the visiting Buffaloes from Colorado. ​
    [​IMG]
    Colorado got on the board first on a nice run by HB Aaron Thorne. TD's were exchanged and Michigan had a 17-14 lead at the half. After some defensive adjustments and Gay gaining confidence, Michigan blew the doors open on the game to take a 31-14 lead into the 4th quarter. ​
    Ryan Gay would finish the day 18/24 passing for 330 yards and 3 TD's. Bryan Brown replaced Corey Royal admirably, racking up 147 yards and a TD, until he went out of the game with a sprained shoulder. The Michigan training staff project Brown to be back for the Notre Dame game, but RS Freshman Andy Ramsey showed some promise, averaging 4 YPC and got into the endzone himself late in the game. The big story for the Wolverines on offense is the growth of the receiving corp. Moving Lance Garcia from TE and allowing Jarrett Mueller to start came under scrutiny by some of the MGoBloggers, however Mueller quickly silenced his critics by hauling in 6 catches for 117 yards and a TD. Senior WR Art Johnston added 5 catches on his own accord. On the offensive line, it appears LT may be a problem for the year, as Colorado's DE J. Spicer abused Michigan's offensive line with 3 sacks and 1 FF. Overall, with Ryan Gay running the offense, Michigan is clearly back to the days of Tom Brady and Chad Henne, with their prototypical pocket passing QB. ​
    [​IMG]
    Defensively, moving to the 3-4 appears to be a work in progress, but the pressure packages are definitely more plentiful early this season. Michigan was able to rack up 3 sacks on the day and forced a fumble. ​
    [​IMG]
    On the recruiting front, Michigan picked up their first commit, in 4* WR Brett Nicholson from Whitefish Bay, WI. Brett grew up a Michigan fan and was ecstatic when the staff extended their offer. This commitment allows Michigan to move their focus towards the offensive line and defensive side of the ball for the rest of this class.​
    [​IMG]

4. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lost all the stats when I edited the headlines, but anyways the story of the game and the season is 2nd team HB Daylen Parks. The junior running back is explosive, and the storyline involves keeping Parks from lighting it up so much he goes pro early. With 5 carries for 155 yards 2 TD's a called back TD on Kickoff Return and several close calls on punt returns, he may be going to the bench for a few games. Goes without saying starter Danny Harris will be given every chance to succeed. Starting QB Andre Benitez played well before going all true freshman on me in the second half. Score was much closer than the game as the Trojans dominated this "tune-up" before facing the Crimson Tide.​

5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Michigan welcomed the Toledo Rockets to Ann Arbor after tough loss in South Bend.

The game was surprisingly close through the first half, with Michigan leading 17-13 at the half.

In the 4th quarter, after Ryan Gay's 3rd interception, Michigan's coaching staff decided to pull the plug on Gay and insert Sophomore QB Derek Mann. On the first play from scrimmage, respecting Mann's running abilities, HB Bryan Brown broke an 80 yard TD on a read option play to take a 24-13 lead. Toledo would stall on the following drive, and again, Bryan Brown would take another read option from Mann 79 yards this time for paydirt.

Brown ended the game with over 200 yards rushing and 3 TD's, mostly in the 4th quarter, leading Michigan to a 43-26 victory.

Moving forward, rumor has it that Ryan Gay may have taken his last snaps as starting QB for the Wolverines. After his dismal showing in South Bend and his consistently poor decision making this week against an inferior MAC opponent, the keys to the offense may have been handed off to Mann for good. As B1G play closely approaches, look to see more of the sophomore sensation to lead the Wolverines on offense.

6. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Utes got out to a fast start, but once SC found out what they were up to it was all over....lotta fumbles this game for some reason ​

7. Texas upsets Notre Dame
    [​IMG]

AP - Austin

Texas used a strong defensive effort and its best rushing output of the season to finally get its first win of the year. Notre Dame started the scoring early taking their first drive of the game and putting 7 points on the board off of a David McBride 49 yard TD grab. Texas was able to tie the score early in the 2nd quarter when QB Will Morrow connected with Dylan Scales on a 32 yard strike down the middle of the field. The Irish quickly answered off another Robert Payne 49 yard TD pass to Brian Lyles. Texas was able to salvage 3 points to cut the lead right before half to 14-10. Taking the opening kickoff, Texas methodically drove down the field aided by a huge 26 yard run by QB Morrow to get in scoring position. Texas took the lead 2 plays later when Morrow found Travis Sullivan for a 10 yard TD pass to go up 17-14. Notre Dame tied the game early in the 4th quarter however Texas immediately answered the bell on their next offensive play. Hoping to rely on their ground game to get points and drain some clock, senior HB Brett Butler took a handoff and scampered 84 yards to put the Longhorns ahead 24-17, a lead they would not give up. Having held Notre Dame to a 3 and out on their next possession, the Longhorns added 3 more points to push their lead to 10. Having already forced 2 interceptions the Texas defense sealed the game when the Longhorns picked off their 3rd Robert Payne throw of the game. Running out the clock the Texas players celebrated wildly having upset a top 10 team. More importantly the win hopefully give them confidence heading into the next two weeks when they face Oklahoma State and hated rival Oklahoma. gg The Dude

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HB Parks explodes for 4td and 215 yards on only 16 carries vs the ASU defense​

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Another bye week... :doodie:

Hurry up so I can play a damn game... :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

11. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Michigan 63
    Minnesota 0
    Michigan waltzed into Minneapolis for the Battle of the Little Brown Jug and came away victorious in a huge way, thanks to an unbelievable performance by Michigan's defense. Michigan held Minnesota to 35 yards passing (!!!!) and completing nearly as many passes to Michigan's secondary as Minnesota's receivers (4 completions vs. 3 interceptions).​
    Maurice Battle and Marcus Wright both took INT's to the house, and the defense racked up 6 sacks on the poor Golden Gopher QB.​
    Offensively, Michigan's offensive line overpowered Minnesota to the tune of 349 yards on the ground and 5 TD's. Bryan Brown and RS Fr Andy Ramsey both eclipsed 100 yards rushing, with QB Derek Mann coming close also thanks to his 60 yard TD run. There was no passing game needed, as Michigan's Mann completed the only 5 pass attempts all game, including the only passing TD to S. Bullock. Juco, Junior CB Chase Lawson returned a punt for a TD late in the game as well for Michigan's final score on the day.​
    Minnesota is going to have a long way to go if they're going to compete with the big dogs in the B1G, cause 19 total yards of offense just isn't going to cut it.​
    All and all, the most complete game this Michigan team has played all year, setting them up for a very challenging B1G schedule, with trips to Happy Valley, Lincoln, and the Hor$e$hoe.​

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. The Dude

I wonder if there's been a tuning update lately that we didn't know about. Guys are really smashing the CPU lately.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Yeah... Couldn't believe it... I mean Minnesota isn't full of superstars, but they were awful...

Very different from my first two CPU games against Colorado and Nevada. Miami could move the ball on offense, as could Nevada from a running standpoint, but Minnesota was like playing a high school squad.

Maybe the settings/sliders now make good teams decent and the bad teams just down right atrocious? Michigan State vs. Ohio $tate should be more telling?

14. In my game vs Oklahoma the CPU was making horrendous decisions. Even though they were a better team rating wise across the board they could not move the ball or score vs me. The only score they got on me late was when I simmed a possession and obviously their ratings were superior then mine and they got a TD. The CPU was turning down field goals to go for it on 4th down constantly, hell they even went for it on a 4th and 15 one time...

15. The Dude

Might be something to it. I just beat Florida with bdubs LSU team. They were perfect and unstoppable early, and then kind of fell apart. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

16. The Dude

Holy sheep shit. Skill is set to Freshman. I swear I did not do that. I'll set it back, but it won't take effect until we advance. Please keep things in check until we set it right.

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

That'll explain everything.... Shit

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Do I get Sparty on Freshman too or is there some typical O$U shenanigans going on??? Figures I'll get them when we move back to Heisman...
    [​IMG]

19. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I thought the same thing, Just played #3 Wisconsin..... what a game. I'll post a report sometime today.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Dude

It was all part of a big plot. I thought maybe I could prop up the Buckeyes and make things harder for everyone else. It has worked out precisely as I planned.

Oh, and I'm point shaving, too. :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Typical...

Got that tattoo appointment set too? Fuckers. Hate Ohio.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bdub

bdub Walk On

Between OSU, Penn State, and Michigan I cant figure out who I hate more. I hate you all!

23. The Dude

6-7-1.PNG

6-7-2.PNG

Looks like the Irish are going to have to earn back some respect in the eyes of the national media. After consecutive wins in rivalry games against Navy and Boston College, Notre Dame actually dropped a spot (from #13 to #14) in both the media and coaches' polls. The Golden Domers are taking it all in stride though, choosing not to comment, and referring all questions about the polls to their coach, who simply said:
    • Look, we're going to play a lot of good teams before the year is out. We're going to GTech this week, we have Miami coming in, Pitt will be here in a few weeks, and then there's the trip to Pasadena. We've got our work cut out for us, but if we manage wins, no one can say we haven't been tested. Right now, I'm just thinking about Atlanta and the Ramblin' Wreck. The rest will take care of itself.
    While the national press might be mistreating the Irish, some major recruiting prospects haven't seemed to notice. The Irish signed five top recruits in week seven, including a couple of five star defensive linemen who look downright scary. Check out the latest recruiting news for details.

7.PNG

24. The Dude

At least our quarterback has the sense to tie his shoes :)

25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Who needs shoes when you run as fast as that kid can?