2016 Season (Year 7) Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Nov 27, 2010.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

G', feel free to edit this thread to include whatever subjects you planned on addressing, I just wanted to generate some conversation before Sunday. We've yet to start talkin' about potential Week 14 match-ups or any proposed/potential rules changes.

The one rule I'd like to see added next season applies to playbooks. Perhaps I'm just too geeky, but I can't stand to see when a particular PB is used by more than one user coach in the league. For instance, if Funk sticks with 'Cuse's book, I think it'd be a bit lame to see another coach (or two) run the same system. Why?

1) If we're operating under the premise that a coach is running "his" system (which cannot be changed throughout the year), then it should be untouchable to others.

2) There's a lot of good books out there to choose from. If we're all utilizing different books, it adds a nice variance to the league. Every team's going to at least have a couple of plays/wrinkles that another team won't have, and you'll have to prepare for it. It gives the league an even greater simulation feel.

3) Sticking with the Funk example, if two users suddenly decide to take Cuse's book as well, it could potentially ruin (or at least diminish) 'Bama's effectiveness. Users will see it more often, and naturally, become better at defending it. Sure, Funk could change his playbook, but I think that unfairly punishes the original system holder.

I've run with Clemson's PB for a while now, but with Thoov grabbin' the Tigers and rollin' with the team's PB, I'm going to change over to Michigan State. I'd like for him to be able to keep his program's assigned book.

But going forward, I think this new rule would add to the league's "realness".

2. thoov08

thoov08 Walk On

I don't plan on sticking with Clemson's PB. I didn't have a PB that I knew would be a good match for my team's players when I took over so I just used the Clemson PB by default. Now that I have half of a season under my belt I plan on finding a different type that best matches my team.

Having said that, I disagree with having everyone take a different PB. If two or more guys are very comfortable with the same PB it will put the team(s) who can't use it at a disadvantage. Also, there are so many plays within a single PB that two users could use the same one and still play very types of offense. I wouldn't be greatly upset if we made that switch to the rules, but I wouldn't vote for it.

3. egofailure

To clarify, I'm in the same boat as you, meaning that I wouldn't be upset either way. I just think it's a topic worthy of league discussion. At least it's something to talk about, right? ;)

This is a fair point, yet I hear similar arguments when players are choosing programs to operate. If a new member comes in (such as bamagrad) and happens to be a huge Alabama fan, isn't he at a disadvantage having to play with another team? Perhaps he'll be less passionate about coaching another program, or maybe he's used to having a 6-star level and several key pipeline states? Still, for the best interest of the league, bamagrad and others in similar positions choose other programs to coach. If we were all Alabama, (or all chose to run GT's offense), the league would lack the variability needed to offer real-life, simulation football.

In addition, how many leagues have you been in where you've seen a coach keep the same PB season after season? I've yet to have one. I think all of us are good enough to succeed under many playbooks. You used Clemson's and will now be using another. JCA's going from Miami to Boise. Funk's using Cuse's now, but he didn't last year. I've used Clemson's for a while, but will now be using Michigan State's. In other words, similar to the bamagrad example, a coach might be at an initial disadvantage in having to choose an alternative PB, but there's no doubt in my mind that he'd eventually become just as dangerous with another, all while contributing to make the league more diverse/sim. This rule would only prevent more than one specific PB/system being operated at one time.

This also adds a strategic element to the league. If you as a coach feel your team needs a new spark or different look, do you give up one playbook for another in the off-season, knowing that another member might snatch it up? This rule would really make you think twice about the system changes you make. As a result, you'd also see more members keep a preferred PB for more seasons, again, making the league more sim. RTP might keep a strangle-hold on USC's system, not wanting to lose it, which would keep him running the same book for season after season. When JCA's Miami Hurricanes face him for the 20th time soon, how good is Run's play-calling have to be to remain successful?

But, hey, in reading over my argument, I can't help but think that I'm being way too geeky here. I just always laugh when I pop on to other league forums, read their description thread, and see that three coaches are using the same playbook and a couple others are sharing another. It's just kind of ... lame.

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I see your point and where you are getting at with the playbook rule, but I am not a "fan" of it personally b/c I do not want to limit my guys from wanting to run the scheme/style they want.

My question is, where have you had this issue at? I sure haven't had it/came across that.

With Thoov changing his PB this year, will we even have anyone using the same playbooks in the 2016 season?

5. Iron Mickey

I also have some breaking news to announce, after weeks of discussion, Coach Runthepound will be making his way to the University of Georgia to solidfy the SEC as the POWER Conference in the Cream of the Crop. In order to make the shift, Coach GSUtiger will be making his way back to the Atlantic Coast Conference and taking the Head Job at Virginia Tech in Blacksburgh.
    Main reason to this move is runthepound's desire to balance the power of the SEC which has been all The Alabama Crimson Tide.
    Should add to an already exciting conference!!!
    [​IMG]
    (runthepound)​
    [​IMG]
    (GSUtiger)​

6. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Piss poor excuse. Bama hasn't dominated the SEC, I lost 2 straight SEC championships to a 15 year old. Don't church it up, RTP is a UGA fan and they have a strong team and that's where he wants to coach. I'm cool with that but let's call it what it is.

7. Iron Mickey

Well that too, I am sure.

8. Iron Mickey

And yes, Georgia is a pretty well-stocked team. Keep in mind though, runthepound is leaving behind a powerhouse North Carolina team, including the best running back in the country.

9. JFunk34

Nah it's all good. Glad to have the competition.

10. JFunk34

Maybe I will finally figure out the key to beat RTP.

11. Iron Mickey

All u got to do is cheese

12. JFunk34

Consider it done.

13. egofailure

G', I'm on the road/iPhone, but I think we have two coaches rollin' with Cuse right now. I know last off-season, some folk discussed grabbing RTP's PB (SCAR), but I'm not sure of that went down. But if it's not a huge issue now, it doesn't mean it can't be. We're potentially one new member/Cuse fan away from having an Orange trio! ; )

Haha, like I said earlier, I'm just a geek. If I'm pretending to be a coach running my own unique system, I'd like it to remain unique. If another coach grabs my book, it takes a way from that a bit.

Also, I'm just always big on promoting league variability. The more playbooks in use, the better. That means we're seeing more plays, formations, etc. Whether you dig pro, the spread, option, etc., there's a ton of books to choose from that implement those offenses.

14. JFunk34

Who is the other player running the Syracuse playbook?

15. JFunk34

As far as that playbook issue goes, I do agree that I think we should all run unique playbooks. I don't like running the same playbook as another player but I don't know if we need a rule about it.

16. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Dang...

17. Iron Mickey

thats where I am getting at. We shouldn't have to put a rule in for that. Be unique, and do it a little different.

18. egofailure

Dang, JCA kicks his ass this year and now he's running scared? ; ) Haha, but seriously, that's a lot of punch in one conference! Whew, winning the SEC will be NO joke going forward. In truth, I get fucked the most in this, as I now have to face two of the best users/programs in the game every season. I better get two user cupcake games on the side ...

19. JFunk34

That's true. I mentioned that to David. I'm sure you will get taken care of in scheduling.

20. egofailure

No wond
    I knew this was coming when Run' showed ZERO restraint in his Bowl game. 200 yards and 4 TDs? Hello, NFL!

21. Iron Mickey

I am going to the Bar to watch the Bedlam, and Tech/UGA game.

I will have JFunk handle the first few advances to players leaving, and transfers, he will also cover mine for me since I will not be back till late tonight. So if we get thru a couple stages cool.

JCA is covering Tuco's (Oklahoma's) off-season @jca312

JCA, JFunk, GSUtiger, and Egofailure are responsible for posting the players not swayable here.

@jca312
    @JFunk34
    @GSUtiger
    @egofailure

Swaying Players

A player may not be swayed into returning if he meets any of the following criteria..

Rated 95+

Has won any major award /been named to AA Team (In that current season)

You CAN sway back players that have been named to the AA team but haven’t won any awards if they are rated under 90

Reminder on the 5-Star Players CAP:

(5) Five-Star Signing is the Max for a single team in a single recruiting Year

22. egofailure

I think he meant that we shouldn't need a rule to let mofos know that you shouldn't take another coach's PB. It should be an unwritten rule, so to speak. Funk, mind enforcing this? ; )

23. egofailure

G', I'll be home at 4 and ready to rock ..

24. Iron Mickey

how bout you watch the unwritten rule? you will do a good job, like usual

25. JFunk34

I do STRONGLY ENCOURAGE people to not use the same playbook but in the end it is what it is. If sabo is gonna use Syracuse's playbook next year then I may change mine. Other than that I don't know of any duplicates.