2016 Tigers Mid Year in Review

Discussion in 'Team News' started by Sharkman37, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Mar 20, 2012
    The Tigers roll into the break with a 59-20 record and have quite the leade in the AL Central. The season so far has gone as hoped in Detroit but there is still half a season and untimely injuries or ineffectiveness still can rear their ugly heads. The Tigers, AL only stats, rank first in defensive efficieny, 1st in all the pitching stats, 3rd in runs, 1st in OPS, 1st in average, and 13th in Homeruns. They make up for their HR clout with leading the league in doubles and triples.

The "Eat that Joba!" Award:
    To Jonathan Papelbon for already saving 33 games to start the year. The ERA is a little high but the 9th is now on lock down for the Tigers and management now has zero worries in the 9th.

Surprise Hitter Award:
    I would be inclined to pick CF - KK Ashley here with his .340 BA and in the top 3 in doubles and SB's. However, we will have to go with LF/DH - Tyler Collins who is batting a svelte .316 and is blowing away the competition in RBI's.

Surprise Pitcher Award:
    I would like to say my bullpen collectively which was a sore spot last year but I would be remiss in noting Zach Grienke and his 13-1 record and league leading ERA. I guess he is ramping it up in his contract year.

Sign of the AL Apocalypse:
    The top 4 starters are in the top 6 for ERA. Go go "Four Horseman"

Cool Stat that I am the only one that cares about:
    I lead the league in doubles/triples. How the hell did I do that? And who gives a crap about home runs??

Get on the Stick Kid or I am Cutting your Ass Award - Hitters:
    What the hell Daric Barton? You play great defense yes but after you signed your contract, you have gotten real lazy at the plate. You need a good second half or I will replace you full time with Francisco Grinaldo.

Get on the Stick Kid or I am Cutting your Ass Award - Pitchers:
    AJ Vulcan. Come on kid. You are in a great position and your 5.00 ERA looks bad. Get your crap together or its back to AAA for you. This season won't be mucked up by your lack of production and intensity. Shape up or ship out!

New Kids on the ML Block:
    Its been a so so 1st half for the rookies. Vulcan has struggled, MR - Darwin Frias went on the DL for 3 months, and Francisco Grinaldo has done solid in a platoon situation.

Soon-to-be New Kids on the Block:
    Top pitching prospect Lance McQueen just made it to AAA - Toledo and will be pushing Vulcan very soon. Top Hitter Dilios Platea will be getting the AAA nod as well.

The Free Agency Headache Award:
    Zach Grienke is pitching lights out but he is being a bit a a douche in contract talks. I am thinking this one will go down to the wire.

Second Half Prognosis:
    I hope to keep dealing but injuries will play into everything. Praying everyone stays healthy (or healthy enough)

Rock on Tigers....
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Mar 20, 2012
    The Tigers Management would like to extend it's congratulations to the Tigers reps (both starters and reserves) for the 2016 All Star Game. Roll Tigers Roll:

SP - Justin Verlander
    SP - Zach Grienke
    SP - Kree Falcon
    SP - Tyson Ross
    CL - Jonathan Papelbon
    CF - KK Ashley
    RF - Nelson Perez
    LF/DH - Tyler Collins