2016 Week 1

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by InfiniteMTX, Jun 25, 2011.

1. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Navy -21
    Penn St -48

In the 2016 kickoff classic. #10 Penn St beats on #20 Navy in a dismal effort by the Nittany Lions. After jumping out to a 21-0 lead in the 1st qtr, Penn St looked liked a division 2 team until the 4th qtr. At the beginning of the 4th, Navy had cut the lead to 24-21. The only bright spot for the Lions was Sr. Tailback Zach Mason and the Penn St run game. Mason shredded the Midshipmen defense for 235 yards and 3 touchdowns. Although Navy was the heavy underdog, they impressed Penn St with their never say die attitude. Navy also displayed a strong running attack, rushing for 120 total yard and 3 touchdowns.

Penn St press conference. Coach InfinitMTX:

"We learned more from Navy than they learned from us today. How to be 60 minute men."

"Our run defense and our whole defensive scheme left alot to be desired. I just watched one of the top defenses on paper get pushed around for 3 rushing touchdowns"

"If this is an indication of our passing game, the Big 10 Championship is out of the question."

"We may very well lose to #2 Alabama next week. We have alot of work to do during this weeks practices."

2. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tight end Joel Davis scores a touch down during third quarter action Saturday

AP Columbia, S.C.​

The South Carolina Gamecocks opened up the season hosting one of the PAC-10s toughest teams and most confusing offenses. The UCLA Bruins and their famed fleXbox One offense traveled to Columbia looking to knock off the #23 ranked Gamecocks and send the masses home disappointed. Fortunately for the Garnet and Black faithful, those plans never came to fruition.​

Carolina freshmen and local product Tyrone Madison took the offensive reigns and never looked back. He led a herculean effort driving the offense down the field at will. Madison completed 22 of 27 passes for 282 yards and 3 touchdowns. The standout freshmen looked poised in the pocket all night, even after taking several jaw rattling hits from UCLA defenders.​

UCLA opened up the game on defense looking to blitz and confuse the young quarterback, with exception to a few sacks they did not succeed. Madison's pin point accuracy completed passes to six different receivers and threw no interceptions. The young quarterback can also thank his offensive coordinator for putting him in a position to win. "Well we saw right off the bat they were going to blitz and blitz often. So we had to change our game plan and throw in some screens and flat passes to keep them on their toes. I think Tyrone will probably thank our running back, Erik Little, back in the locker room because he caught a few check down passes on third down to convert for the first down" offensive coordinator Tim Gardner said during the post game press conference.​

Head coach Jackson Brantley was very impressed with his defense and offense during the post game conversation. "Well to come out and handle business at home, against a tough quality opponent, it just speaks volumes about the progress our team made during the off season workouts. We knew we would have to be disciplined and execute well to hold that option offense in check. It helped that Tyrone had a good day out there directing the offense and putting touchdowns on the board instead of field goals. When you have an offense putting points up, it only takes a few big third down stops against a strong running team to get a little breathing room. I think we are very fortunate to get a win today though, teams that run this offense can be very deadly and I'm very confident that UCLA is going to give some teams fits this year."​

[​IMG]
    OLB Brian Bower gets the sack on UCLA quarterback Bryan Bower during Saturday's game.

[​IMG]
    HB Ronnie Johnson drags a UCLA defender for a 34 yard gain
    [​IMG]
    Carolina defensive back Garrett Clemens intercepts UCLA's Brian Bower in the second half
    [​IMG]
    South Carolina's defense harassed UCLA quarterback Brian Bowers all game long

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

Good game chucktown.

4. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

it certainly was kind of heart pounding in the first half. I had a lot of trouble stopping the flex at first, so I was under pressure to score on my first possession to avoid falling behind by multiple scores.