2016 Week 2 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CharlestonUSC, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG] vs TEMPLE

[​IMG]

AP​
    Philadelphia, P.A.​

A 21-0 first quarter rout was not enough to give Carolina head coach Jackson Brantley the confidence to put in the back ups. As it turned out, that was a smart decision as Temple used its home crowd and an offensive explosion by Owl quarterback Cedric Brooks to give the Gamecocks all they could handle.​

Brooks, the seasoned Owl quarterback, completed an astounding 31-50 passes for 669 yds and 7 TDs with one interception. The Garnet and Black defense had no answer whatsoever for the Temple quarterback or his underrated wide receiver corps.​

Luckily for the Carolina defense, the Carolina offense came to play today also. Carolina freshmen quarterback Tyrone Madison completed 17-25 passes for 409 yds and 4 TDs with one interception. "We saw the field very well today and managed to get some great matchups against their man coverage" Madison said after the game.​

The fiery quarterback can't take all the credit for the win today though, as senior running back Ronnie Johnson rushed the ball 21 times for 256 and 3 TDs. The Temple defense's inability to tackle Johnson cost them dearly. "They just had a hard time wrapping him up all game long and he just kept the legs moving and powering forward" Coach Jackson stated happily after the game.​

Up next the Gamecocks look forward to a major match up with the Pittsburgh Panthers.​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

I'm slacking with my summaries. 0-2, my defense is no doubt the slowest in the league. Cocky & Kapono are great players, but how can Pitt be this bad?? Rethinking my team selection for 2012....

3. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Navy 56
    Pitt 49
    Final-OT

I got up 14-0 then had the ball at the Pitt 5. I figured the game was over and was kinda just wondering when the game would end. Then I found out BigKing was much better than I thought. I picked off a pass in the endzone and scored. After that nobody could stop each other. In the 4th I had the ball 42-42 but couldn't move and punted. With around 2 minutes Pitt scored to go up 49-42. Navy drove the field easily and scored with 16 minutes left. In OT, Navy scored in 3 plays and was able to hold Pitt to 4-and-out.

Corey Norman (Navy HB)- 22 carries for 242 yards, 2 TD
    Josh Williams (Pitt QB)- 26-58 for 592 yards, 5 TD, 3 INT
    Stanford Clark (Pitt WR)- 8 receptions for 203 yards, 3 TD

4. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

well now im feeling pretty good because i held south carolina to only 44 points

5. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Man the game between Temple was just ridiculous. I think the longest scoring drive might have lasted maybe two minutes, the majority of the scores were quick strikes. Certainly happy to get out of Philadelphia with a win b/c I was nervous until the end of the game.

6. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Penn State Delivers!
    Nittany Lions deliver the first major blow of the 2016 season

Alabama - 7
    Penn State - 44

Looking to rebound after their non-inspired route of Navy, the Penn State Nittany Lions did just that. In a big way! The visiting Alabama Crimson Tide entered Happy Valley for their season opener with a #2 national ranking. Alabama was the early favorite to play Ohio St for the 2016 National Championship. The 'Tides high hopes would take a shock early. On the first offensive possession of the game, Penn St's So. right corner Xavier Johnson caused an Alabama receiver to fumble the football near the Alabama 20 yard line, then Sr. right outside linebacker Michael Miller scooped up the ball and rumbled in for the score. The Lions took a 7-0 lead within the first minute of the game without taking an offensive snap. After an Alabama punt, Penn St would then put three more points on the board from a long field goal. On their third possession of the game, Alabama would make their one and only score of the game. The 'Tide Made it a close 10-7 score in the second quarter, but the tone set in the opening drive would remain for the rest of the game. Alabama would suffer 3 more fumbles, losing 2, and also delivering 2 interceptions to the Nittany Lion defense for a total of 5 turnovers. Alabama could muster only 251 total yards. Penn St implemented their normal ball control attack. Displaying a balanced run /pass attack, led by their steady Sr. Halfback Zach Mason, who banged away at the Crimson Tide defense for 128 yards and 2 short scores. After a bye week the Nittany Lions resume their interstate rivalry with Pittsburgh.

Penn St press conference
    Coach InfinitMTX:

"Today we got to see the best football that PSU can deliver. Our challenge will be to play this type of ball on a weekly basis. If we can do this then a Big 10 and a National Championship will be within our reach."

"I thought our Linebackers would be the strength of our team, and early on, they have made my prediction correct. After the first 2 games of the season, our linebackers have produced 6 sacks, 3 forces fumbles, 1 recovery, and a touchdown. The middle of the field is a danger zone. Enter at your own risk."

"After what Ohio St did to Clemson, I don't think their momentum will stop any time soon. I don't know what Miami can possibly do tonight to upset the defending champs. I think the Buckeyes win going away."

"The Best football is played in the Big 10." "Period."

7. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

LOL this is getting pretty damn entertaining. I feel like we have our very own Lane Kiffin stirring up controversy in the league! Hey infinite what offensive and defensive playbooks do you roll with?

8. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

What happened to Gameday?

9. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

I use the Pittsburgh O, and a 3-4 defense.
    Might change to a 4-3 though.

10. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

I would stick with a 3-4 with 12 coming out. It is a lot more versatile than the 4-3 and it keeps your OLBs spread out more to defend the flats against speedy little running backs.

But, it all comes down to what kind of defense you want to run and if you think you can impose onto the offense what you want them to do.

11. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

I might need a little more beef up front. But my Linebackers are flying to the ball and hitting. I mean Hitting. After 2 games - 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles. Linebacker U is back. Who wins tonights OSU-Miami game?

12. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

I haven't had a chance to look at either of their depth charts, b/c I don't play either of them, so I can't say for sure. I know Cocky lost to CLay in the ACC title game last year and Clay had a hard time with Gwill last week, but you can't really approach predicting games that way. I won't make a prediction but I will say that I hope it is a close time of possession type game that comes down to the last drive or two.