2016 Wind-Down

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Apr 17, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

As our current season comes to an end, lets look ahead and get some interest and anticipation up for 2017. I know some of you have title hopes left for this current season and have your attention devoted there, so feel free to defer responding to this for the time being.

1. Are you losing any key components heading into next year? Who are you looking to replace them with at the current moment and what do those players bring to the table?

2. Do you anticipate any spring position battles?

3. Is there anything from this year that you wish you would have done differently? How do you plan to address that in 2017?

4. What do you anticipate being the strength/weakness of your team next season? Any significant philosophy changes?

2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

1. Are you losing any key components heading into next year? Who are you looking to replace them with at the current moment and what do those players bring to the table?

My most significant loss is QB JT Austin. Austin hasn't been completely dominant but he has put together a very solid career at MSU. He will be remembered for his gaudy numbers, but also his ability to disappear in big games.

He will be replaced by this guy: [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Brunner will change the way MSU plays football. He has spent this season as the #4 HB and #6 WR and has gotten playing time at both positions. He broke his first 2 carries at HB for long TD runs.

Other new starters that will make an impact next season are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allen and Ramsey will have to step in right away and hopefully improve a very suspect secondary. Martin is a transfer from UofM who will suit up for the Green and White in his final season of eligibility. Bonds has received significant playing time this year in the 3-4 and is the teams 2nd leading tackler. He will be one of focal points of the defense next season as MSU switches back to the 4-3.

The only battles I foresee are are at WR and CB. I loose a lot of talent at WR, however I have solid guys to fill in. They are all fairly even and will battle it out to see who gets the title of #1 and #2. It will be interesting to see if either of the two freshman CBs crack the starting lineup.

3. Is there anything from this year that you wish you would have done differently? How do you plan to address that in 2017?

I wish I would have gone with a different defensive system. Since switching to the 3-4, the only user offense I have been able to stop was Suge's option run attack. I have been helpless against any other style, which I think is due to the broken zone defense and the fact that the 3-4 uses a lot of zone blitzing to get pressure and if I go with man blitzes my defense telegraphs the play before the snap.

4. What do you anticipate being the strength/weakness of your team next season? Any significant philosophy changes?
    The strength of the team is going to be the two lines and quarterback. Both lines should be rated in the 90s and Brunner will make the Spartans difficult to gameplan for. The weakness will once again be the secondary, though it should be improved from this season.

I plan on running the 4-3 or possibly the multiple D set next year to better stop some of the pro-style offenses we have in the Big Ten. On offense, I am going to have to switch the scheme to make full use of Brunner, but I haven't decided how I want to do that yet. It will either be some sort of one-back set or a semi-pro version of the spread option (something like what OSU uses).

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

JC that qb coming behind Austin doesn't look too shabby. He will add another dynamic to your O. You have built up a pretty decent D there too, you should be able to put a damper on a lot of O's.

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

If Watson doesn't declare early then the biggest part of my Offense that I will be losing will be WR Ronnie Stevenson. This guy is a damn Beast!
    Capture.PNG

The battle for coveted MLB spot. Who ever doesn't get the nod at that position will be playing LOLB.
    Capture.PNG

I wish I could have recruited better and not lost that WR to Clemson. That WR would have been an impact player from day 1.

If I cannot land this RB that I am currently in contention with OU for, my running game will be non-exsistent next season.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Oh, and Brunner will only be a Sophomore next season (y)

6. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

We're only losing two key guys but both are huge part's of our offense. First is All-American Joel Coleman. He's had a monster season and won't be easy to replace but RS JR Steven Clark will most likely get the first chance to replace him. Clark was a 4* Juco recruit last year and spent this year redshirting. He's a brusing back without a ton of speed but he'll fit in well with this big physical offensive line we have.

The other is SR Wideout Jay Roberts. He's a great possession receiver and great complement to SO stud Lance Stewart. We don't have exceptional talent at that position so it may very well end up being prized recruit Dan Gross that see's plenty of time opposite of Stewart. If not Gross look for SO Aaron Riggs to get the assignment across of Stewart. Don't be surprised to see TE Josh Woods to get reps at receiver as we have already begun utilizing him out there as he is a freak.

The before mentioned Running Back and Receiver battle should be interesting. We have a ton of very talented depth at all positions right now so every position will have to be won during spring. We have two young Offensive Tackles that are extremely talented that will be fighting for the spot in spring. Trent Ingram and Johnathan Clark were both Freshman this season and both are already 82 Overall's. Whoever seems to progress better should win the starting job. Both are completely different tackles so that will be taken into consideration also.

I wouldn't change much. We had a fantastic season winning every game we played. Obviously, we wish we wouldn't have had to take a SIM loss against the Buckeyes but we will surely be ready for the them next year.

Man, we will have a ton of strengths starting with our QB Andy Wesley and All-American Wideout Lance Stewart. As long as both of those guys stays healthy, we should score points. As always, the interior lines on both sides of the ball will be a strength. The linebacker unit should be great also.

A possible weakness could be the Running Back position. We hope Stephen Clark can step up and win the job but if he progresses poorly, we may have to be a pass first offense and that's not what Penn St football is all about.

No philosophy changes for next season. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

7. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

If this guy has the stats to be on the goat be sure to submit them so we can get him on the list

8. AJ Hart MN

He only started for his Junior and Senior season so I doubt he has the career stats for something like that..

9. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Are we talking about Chris Quinn here?

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I think so, there was a 5* wr recruit that I couldn't get in early enough for a visit and you leap-frogged me to nab him with a visit before me.

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I just realized OSU has allowed an NCAA low 137 points this year. That is crazy!

12. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

He was a 5* ATH that everyone was after. I don't remember who I jumped specifically, but he is from Vermont anyways so its not like anyone had the inside track on him.

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

1. Are you losing any key components heading into next year? Who are you looking to replace them with at the current moment and what do those players bring to the table? QB and CB. Will be heading into next season with a new QB (not sure who yet). Highest rated returning QB is Junior Adam Bond (68), so things could be bleak in that department. On defense, my pass coverage was already terrible, but with 3 senior CB's leaving, its only going to get worse. Not sure what to do about that. Gotta play with who you have.

2. Do you anticipate any spring position battles? QB again...not sure how progression will go but this position will be wide open. Also look for highly recruited Lee Jolly to push for the starting HB position. Gatewood will be a Senior and with his stamina, might make the move to being strictly a 3rd down back.

3. Is there anything from this year that you wish you would have done differently? How do you plan to address that in 2017? Not really. I did what I could with this team. Beating Miami was a minor miracle. I wish we would have played better against the Hookies at the end of the season but they are too tough in their home park. I hope to compete a little better against the users next season as well.

4. What do you anticipate being the strength/weakness of your team next season? Any significant philosophy changes? My philosophy will be the same...try to establish a running game. I can't drop back and throw the ball 50 times a game. Just doesnt work for me. We'll rely on all of our HB's and try and smash our way to victory. Throwing will be based on how well we run the ball. Hopefully, we can limit the pass attempts to around 20-25 a game and really control the clock and the game next season. Thats the goal anyways!

14. AJ Hart MN

That was last year so he's not talking about Quinn and you jumped me you SO..... :p I had a good lead on him but of course you got the early rival game at home and got the huge 10,000 point visit.. No, I'm not still bitter ;)

15. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

On offense I would say not really. Senior WR Isaac Gaddis will be departing, but my focus when taking this team over was getting good, and fast receivers. With Sophomores AJ Walker and Tyrone Holmes I will be set at that position for a couple of more years. On defense I think things might be interesting. Ever since taking the program over the defense has been rated a B+. And if anyone who has followed this program knows this team hasn't had that great deal of success until this season. I will be losing RE Thomas Holley and MLB Travis Nobles, but the defense still looks to be solid.

I would say the big position battle will be who wants to be my starting center. I currently have walk ons, and am playing a guard at the position. I have recruited a center, and will consider several position changes before making a ruling. I would say the DT would be a tough battle, but I think I finally have recruited enough DTs to switch to the 4-3, thank god. Lastly the FS battle position will also be interesting. Remember when the CPU recruited 4 or 5 4 star FS, well 2 are currently my starting CBs, one is playing SS. One transfered, and the other two are currently ranked 88. Jason Scott and Justin George are going to have to train hard if they want to be the starter, while the other most likely will be my nickel back.

I don't know what I could have done differently. The Yellow Jackets won 10 games after winning 3 two seasons ago, and 7 last season. The two losses came against Clemson and Georgia, both user games. Against Clemson I was starting a back up so that loss is somewhat excusable. In the Georgia game the team came out flat, and we simply couldn't get the offense going.

4. What do you anticipate being the strength/weakness of your team next season? Any significant philosophy changes? This team is just going to get better. If Brent Edwards stays healthy could be a candidate for the Heisman and the coveted The Experience MVP. He is just getting better. I expect to break the Georgia Tech's single season passing record, Edwards broke it his freshman year, the single season TD passing record, and if I knew the career passing record he could break that next year as well.

On the defensive side of the ball there is going to be a change in philosophy. We are changing from the 3-4 to 4-3. I think I have recruited enough defensive tackles to make the switch. Currently I have two juniors, Spencer Fagan and Anthony Wood both are rated 81 and 83 respectively.

16. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

We will be losing 4 senior WRs after this year. Tom Moore, Christian McNeil, and Michael Pittman were all starters this year and will be missed next year in the passing game. On the bright side, FR Chris Quinn will be stepping into a more prominent role and will be making big plays for the Tigers. He will be joined by SO Shawn Bryant and JR James Harris as starters. The 4th and 5th spots are up for grab.

We will also be losing both OTs to graduation. Good news is that there are 2 :5stars: recruits waiting to take over the jobs. Mark Fellows will start at RT and look for Dustin Massey to be in at LT.

On the defensive side of the ball only 3 starters will need to be replaced. On the d-line #2 DT Cory Leonard will graduate, along with LE Adam Lane. Lane will be replaced by :5stars: recruit Jeremy Nelson, but Leonard's and OLB Derrick Harris' spot are up for grabs.

This spring the DT battle will be between 3 different guys. SO Corey Smith and FR Marvin Stone are front runners, but FR Sean Richardson could crack the line up depending on how he progresses in the off-season.

I don't think there is anything I regret, but I always wish for more x2s in recruiting lol!!

We will be stronger across the board on defense. With the majority of the starters returning the defense should be leading us to a lot of victories next year. But don't count our offense out either as QB Andre Sanders, HBs Marcus Smith and Jorge Irvin, WR Chris Quinn, and TE Dedrick Smith should be putting a lot of points on the board as well. We won't be changing a thing offense or defense, we will just continue to improve!

17. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

You already get enough of those, my friend. So random...........

18. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

MLB Seth Samuel leads the country in tackles and will be missed. rsSoph Todd Cannon will step into the MLB role and hopefully the defense won't miss a beat. Junior wide receiver Derek McCray is expected to turn pro, leaving behind a record setting career at FSU. Although McCray never won a Heisman as advertised when he signed 4 years ago, he has never disappointed the Noles.

Having a returning 2 year starter at quarterback, you wouldn't expect any controversy at that position. But that isn't the way coach dakota is approaching the spring in Tallahassee. rsJunior Colt Thompson is the incumbent, but truth be told coach d has never been that happy with his play. Thompson lacks the accuracy that the FSU offense favors. Thompson will be challenged by rsSoph Cornelius McNair and true freshman :5stars: Jameel Huffman, who possess the rocket arm coach d covets. This position is wide open.

We had a poor gameplan for the Ohio State game and really feel that was an educational moment. This mistake won't happen again for coach d.

The Seminole defense should be outstanding next year, as 9 starters return and multiple other VHT players will be ready to challenge those 9 for playing time. This is a young unit that is only getting better. Our offensive line looses 2 starters, but the players stepping in will be very talented.

Our only question mark will be running back, as this unit graduates 2 90+ ovr seniors. Filling the position will be rsSoph Eric Gibson, rsFresh Jimmy Hoffman and :5stars: true freshman Gerry Alexander, the #1 overall player in the ESPNU 150. :5stars: ATH Alex Chase could also be in the mix at running back. These are four very talented, fast players who all lack experience. If the Noles are going to challenge for an ACC title next year, these players will need to step up and perform.