2017 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

The Press is getting antsy, and wants to know your expectations for this season. It would be great if we all could answer a few questions before the season starts.

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    4. What are your expectations for 2017?
    5. Any predictions around the league?
    6. With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

The Press is getting antsy, and wants to know your expectations for this season. It would be great if we all could answer a few questions before the season starts.

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? The Tigers missed out on starting pitching. We picked up some journeymen in Ross Detwiler and Ivan Nova but we are hoping that McQueen and Vulcan can hold down the last 2 spots in the rotation.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? Well losing the reigning Cy Young in Grienke hurts obvioulsy but after thinking about it, I didn't want to 33/34 pitchers each pulling in 30 mil in long term deals. At 29? Sure. 34? I didn't feel like betting on father time and the Angels had a good OF with attributes I like so....
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about? Dilios Platea takes over at 1B and will give me more sock in my lineup. Raj always gives me crap for being near the bottom in Homeruns. Hopefully Platea can team with COllins to get me to the middle of the pack in the AL. I am also excited to get Helder Velasquez back. A nice 4 star that missed most of last year but will fill Grant Green's super sub role without the Titus Youngesque attitude.
    4. What are your expectations for 2017? Well, my owner wants me to win the whole thing. I think my hitting will be slightly better but my pitching slightly worse. The goal is to always make the playoffs. After that it is one big crapshoot.
    5. Any predictions around the league? Well, I don't want to jinx the Marlins and pick them again after taking a one year break so I won't. I like the Orioles and Blue Jays in the AL East with the other getting a WC, I like the Tigers to hold off the Twins in the Central and the Astros to take the West. Mariners in as the other WC. In the NL, lets go Braves, Brewers, D-Backs to mix it up a bit.
    6. With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year? Good. I finished getting the Carl Crawford toxic contract off the books as well as shaving Grienke's 27 mil. Daric Barton is the only other bad contract and he has a year end buyout. The trick is figuring out which 480K guys I sign and which one's I trade or let walk. My 480K Free Lunch Express is almost ready to close. =-(
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? Dilios Platea. I got him at the end of rd 1 a few years back. He should be a great slugging 1B. Sparta is starting the year in AAA and if he mashes, look to see him take over from the depressing Drake Hollow at 2B. Finally, I got 2 catchers on the horizon in Tim Atlantis and Ron Schloss I am positevly giddy about.
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share? Two teams to watch out for this year are the Blue Jays and the Twins. Twinkees scare the heck out of me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]

• Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    • I think we have effecdtively filled majority of our needs. We desperately needed some offense and it was bolstered by the big bats of Justin Upton and Kevan Smith from the White Sox. The bull pen was significantly improved too, by addition of Addison Reed. Rookie Jorge Rivera will control the back end and close up shop if the rotation holds up and the bats produce.
    • Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    • None really. Didn't like sending William Scott, #30 Prospect in the majors, but to get an impact bat like Smith behind the plate, we figured it was worth the roll of the dice.
    • Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    • Kevan Smith and Justin Upton... They should really do some damage in the Miller Park launch pad.
    • What are your expectations for 2017?
    • Playoffs... Really need to turn the corner... Jed Bradley and John Stilson are almost in their prime and its time to make that push now. If the Reds starting rotation holds up, they should be the favorites to win the division, as top to bottom, they're the toughest in the league in my opinion. If not, or if our squad gels like it could, we could make a serious run for the division crown.
    • Any predictions around the league?
    • I like the Seattle Mariners to come out the AL West... Tigers in the Central and the Blue Jays in the East. The O's are too tough to not easily lock up one of the Wild Cards with Minnesota stealing that final spot. In the NL, I think Miami and SF cruise in each of their divisions, and Cincinnati to win the NL Central. I think my Brewers and the D-backs will win the Wild Card spot.
    • With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    • We'll be solid. Won't be a big spender in Free Agency next season, but then again, we don't anticipate seeing any big names land out there worth the investment anyhow.
    • Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    • Tilly Boomers at SS and Paullo Peito at 2B hope to form a similar combination to Allan Trammell/Lou Whitaker for years to come. As mentioned previously, CL Jorge Rivera will have the back end of the bull pen locked up for years to come. CF Clark Francis is on the doorsteps too... He nearly made the Opening Day roster, but we'd like to see the young man get plenty of reps down in AAA Nashville before getting the full call to the bigs. Jose Garcia may not be down in AAA for long. He's Rule 5 eligible this season, at 21 years old, and his speed on the basepaths may be a thing of beauty in front of the big bats of Upton, Smith, Middlebrooks, and Wunderlich.
    • Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
    • I think Nick Ramirez out in SD will contend for the HR title in the NL, and I believe the White Sox will shock people and finish just outside of the Wild Card in the AL Central, 1 game back of the Minnesota Twins.

• Like Like x 1
  4. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    The biggest hole filled was at 2b. I let longtime Red Brandon Phillips hit free agency and signed a similar player in Ian Kinsler. Kinsler has similar ability defensively, but I expect a little more production offensively from him. I also wanted to address the bullpen, although they were not a problem in 2016 I expect them to be a strong spot on this team. I signed Edward Mujica will throw strikes and will bring a solid presence to the clubhouse. The bigger bullpen acquisition was Drew Storen who I expect to be our 8th inning guy. I also brought in Andre Ethier who will probably be our opening day LF. I don't per se have any holes, and should compete for the division again.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    I actually immediately regretted not picking up Cameron Maybin's option, but I didn't want to pay him this year for 2 months of play. I thought the money could be spent better somewhere else, but I whiffed on a few guys.
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    I pretty much covered that in question 1. I am really excited for Storen, especially since I met him a few weeks ago at WWE Survivor Series :D
    4. What are your expectations for 2017?
    I expect to compete for the NL Central. And with the rotation I have I am looking to take it home finally.
    5. Any predictions around the league?
    No real predictions
    6. With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    Finances look great for me. Should be making a decent amount this year, with room to spend a little next offseason.
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    The only guy I really see making an impact with the big club is SP Mark Biggs. He was in contention for the 5th spot in the rotation, but I went with experience.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

F the Reds.

6. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

I've had a great time F'ing the Brewers since I joined the league. :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Hate you

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    As its been since letting Ubaldo go, we went in looking for Starting pitching. We weren’t going to spend top dollar on someone we weren’t 100% sold on. Whether it be their scouting report, injury history, we had to be sold if we were going to spend top dollar. We didn’t find that, so instead we got some quality guys who we knew could pitch well within their value. We also needed some depth behind Mike Zunino after losing Carlos Santana in Free Agency. Kurt Suzuki should do a great job spelling Mike.

Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    Probably not on the field, but the fans definitely aren’t happy with how things went with Carlos. Trust me, he was one of my favorites too, but the fact of the matter is he did not produce for us. Mike beat him out of his job and there was no way Scott Boras was gonna let Carlos take a backup’s salary.

Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    Phil Hughes. He has beaten us enough times to get excited that we’ve got him on our side.

What are your expectations for 2017?
    We seem to say this every year, but I expect playoffs. We have a lineup that when you see the names you say “Wow, that’s at least 4 or 5 runs a game” and we just haven’t lived up to it. I think guys feel they have to swing for the fences, so we are striking out at far too high of a rate. Over the last 5 years we’ve had the best Bullpen in the league, we’re returning basically all of the Mafia, so I don’t see why we can’t repeat our success. Lastly, I’m excited about seeing this pitching staff come together. Barnes is coming off a career year, we feel Jeanmar is finally completely healthy for the first time since his ERA-King season, and our new additions should give us a competitive group to get us to the Mafia.

Any predictions around the league?
    Timpegoose and his Braves will fail to win the East crown for the first time in his tenure as GM.

With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    We are still turning a profit with wise spending. We just ask the fans to be patient as we will jump at the first chance to sign an FA or trade that will benefit this team.

Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    Markus Mason. The kid tore the cover off the ball in Spring Training. He has to start in Spring Training, but we don’t see any reason as to why he won’t get the call at some point. He is very versatile being able to play all three outfield positions and first base at a very efficient rate. We just hope that he will use his speed and be a little more aggressive stealing bases down in Columbus.

Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
    I’ve made it my mission to finally “Win” a trade. I will admit I have yet to win one in my tenure. This year it will be done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Hasn't everybody? Well except the Cubs...

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]
    • Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
      • We went after mostly BP help, hopefully Lowe (Pittsburgh) can find some revive his career in Washington along with Brandon League. Jonathan Broxton will be inserted into the closer role.
    • Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
      • Not signing Ryan Perry back will hurt, we were going to try and get him back through Free Agency and then bolster the BP around him closing in which we did but forgot him.
    • Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
      • Not really excited but hoping the bullpen is better which will help our team dramatically and put us through into the playoffs
    • What are your expectations for 2017?
      • Nationals keep coming really close to the post season, this has got to be the year!
    • Any predictions around the league?
      • Brewers have loaded up for a run, O's are still chasing and I'll go with the Dbacks will make a nice run.
    • With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
      • We made a lot of improvement after the Werth and Morse deals, we should be good to make money again
    • Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
      • Highly doubtful
    • Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
      • Twins are my team to watch and the Angels might do something also.
      • Pirates won't be the worse team.

11. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

No, I still have weaknesses in CF and RF and I don't get much offensive production from the SS position. Also, my starting staff is aging. However, the #1 bullpen ranked by ERA last season did get a bit younger and deeper.
    1. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    It remains to be seen whether the offense can sustain the loss of 2B Neil Walker. Walker was a solid contributor the past 3+ seasons, but demanded $16 mln in the offseason. The Giants offered to pay him $10 mln. But, he decided to walk and ended up signing for $6 mln.
    1. Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    The Giants picked up 2B Grant Green from Detroit in free agency. It remains to be seen how he will pan out. He needs to start living up to his hype. Also, MR Kelvin Herrara should be a great addition to the bullpen.
    1. What are your expectations for 2017?
    It's an odd number year, which means I will be 1 game from the division title and half of my roster will be injured for most of the year.
    1. Any predictions around the league?
    AL East - Baltimore AL Central - Detroit AL West - Seattle WC - Toronto & Anaheim
    NL East - Atlanta NL Central - Cincy NL West - Arizona WC - Miami & NY Mets
    1. With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    My finances are pretty strong this year and will be outstanding next year, once Cain's contract is bought out. He was unable to be convinced to retire, after spending all of last season in AAA. Also, Blanton's option probably won't be picked up.
    1. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    RF Pablo Pena. Pena is a solid fielder. He doesn't make contact with the ball often, but when he does it travels far.
    1. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
    Win or lose, we booze. If we win, we booze more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

This sounds strangely familiar to Shapiro's plan. Forgive me, while I puke.

13. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    Not particularly. 3B isn't exactly a position of strength, and my bullpen might struggle until we get it figured out. We did at some decent bullpen arms though.

Losing Kimbrell might hurt a little bit. But a combination of Delgado and Viscaino should do a fine job replacing him for half the price.

I think Jose Ceda and Joel Zumaya will both be key additions to the bullpen, but I can't say I'm overly excited for them.

I think we'll finish just outside of the wild card for the first time in the last 5 years. Marlins and Nats both look very tough this year, and the Phillies aren't a team to sleep on.

AL East - Toronto AL Central - Detroit AL West - Seattle WC - Baltimore and Tampa
    NL East - Miami NL Central - St. Louis NL West - San Fran WC - Nats and Brewers

With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    As good as ever. We moved our development budget back down to $8 mil since pumping money into it apparently does jack shit, so we have some money left over for trades and free agents.

Omar Estrada may get the call up late this year if he does well in the minors. He hit the ball well in spring training, and this could be the year he really takes off.

Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
    AL East and NL East continue to be the 2 best divisions in baseball.

14. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I figured a Dolan quote would fit this perfectly.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Nice! You finally didn't pick me to "take the next step" or whatever that horse shit was. Guess I have a chance this year after all.

16. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I finally realized that the "next step" is a new manager :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

Not really the pitching staff might be a little light.
    Lost a couple of relievers to free angency.
    None
    As defending champions we'd like another ring but play-offs are expected
    Brewers and O's in the WS
    Superb
    David Villasuso - He's been waiting in the wings for a year or two to take over at Catcher.

• Like Like x 1
  18. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

:mad:

20. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? I wanted to add a bigger impact bat at first base, but had to settle for journeyman Mitch Moreland, who may only be a platoon player. If the opportunity presents itself, we may try to make that addition on the fly. And you can never have too much pitching.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? No big losses in terms of production. This offseason, the Twins had a housecleaning. Gone are longtime DH/"3B" Edgar Encarnacion and 1B Justin Morneau. And oft-injured SS Yunel Escobar was not resigned either. All three were key for the past couple of years but injuries and age caught up with them.
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about? Most of my key acquisitions were made down the stretch last season, namely CL Aumont and 3B Zack Cox. The most important thing will be the continued development of Berde Lauritzen and Hector Aguilar as well as growth of Garabez Rosa and Kyle Skipworth in the lineup.
    4. What are your expectations for 2017? Well, I'm a member of the AL Central, so I'm busy battling for second place. I think I have a solid shot at making the playoffs this year. My offense will probably be a bit streaky but my starting pitching should be solid all year long (barring injury).
    5. Any predictions around the league? Friggin' Tigers win the Central.
    6. With the Rangers going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year? Finances couldn't be better. We have lots of cash to spend if the right deal comes along.
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? CF Max Kepler is going to get a shot as a semi-regular. However, I won't have a banner rookie crop like last year with ROY SS Garabez Rosa as well as SP Hector Aguilar.
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share? Former Twin Justin Morneau spent all spring camping out and trying to get the attention of the Twins front office to try to continue his career with his beloved team. Unfortunately, when they asked him to come up to the office to talk, he broke his ankle and will be out for 6-8 weeks.

• Like Like x 2