2017 Philadelphia Eagles Preview

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by ThaBayouChef, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles are set and ready. The Eagles come off of a bazaar season in what seemed to happen in a blink of the eye. They made the playoffs and eventually lost to division rival Dallas, but really; who counts those games?! The season before, Philly turned around an apathetic start and wound up winning the NFC East once again en route to a spot in the NFC Championship game. Dissappointingly, they would go on to lose that game to what was then the hottest team in the league, the Chicago Bears. Since then, however; the Eagles have made some changes along the way while keeping their core still intact. Coming off of a huge off-season of resignings it was a question around the City of Brotherly Love as to whether or not the Eagles would be able to afford their key guys. And we are happy to report that they did in fact succeed in that goal. They wrapped up franchise QB Ryan Tannehill for four more years for a number that they thought would have been much higher. They also got linebackers Demeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks inked up, as well as all-pro defensive tackle Fletcher Cox. In the off-season before the "Don't blink or you may miss something" season, the Eagles acquired defensive tackle Desmond Bryant from the Raiders. A move they made to beef up the middle of their defensive line, and to this point it has seemingly paid off. In that same off-season, they also brought in 6'3 defensive back Sean Smith (who Coach Lazaroe admitted he has always been a big fan of) and he played the nickel back position last season for the Eagles. However; there have been rumblings that the secondary might get shaken up in Philly this year. With Nnamdi Asomugha inking a new two year deal this year, it is thought that the Eagles may plug him in at free safety a-la Charles Woodson and Ronde Barber. Either way, this Eagle secondary will no doubt be a focal point for any offense. On the other side of the ball, aside from Tannehill, the Eagles signed QB Christian Ponder as an insurance policy on Tannehill in case of an unfortunate injury. Ponder is a pretty good step up from their previous back-ups and while admitting his career has not gone the way he had hoped to this point, he's said that he is extremely excited about playing in Philadelphia. Lesean McCoy is coming off an unbelievably dissappointing end to his year in the 2015 season. While killing time in their divisional matchup, McCoy went down with an injury that would end his year. He was forced to miss the NFC Championship and was left, as the rest of Philadelphia was, asking himself 'what if?'. McCoy has since bounced back and is ready to go this year and looks forward to another 1k yard season. On the outside Tannehill has his usual suspects; Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Danarius Moore. They all look forward to splitting touches again and punishing opposing secondaries. It will be an interesting year in Philadelphia, where the NFC East champs have resided in the previous two years that actually "mattered". Can they three-peat, or will they be dethroned?! Stay tuned and find out!!

A Look at the NFC East from afar:

New York Giants - Revamped and reloaded! The Giants no doubt will come into this season with one of the youngest teams in the league. Hitting on nearly all of their draft picks a year ago, this team may be the ones who take the crown from Philly. Their biggest acquisition though is no new comer. Tight end Rob Gronkowski now plays in this division. And he will command a lot of attention from any defense. It will be exciting to see how the Eagles/Giants matchups play out from here on out.

Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys are coming off a Superbowl victory. Of course it came in the "What is that veelvvett?!" season, but a Superbowl is a Superbowl. Quarterback Tony Romo finally got that ape off his back and quietted the naysayers. However; their rookie running back was the guy who got most credit. Having an outstanding season out of the backfield, he pretty much single handedly won the Cowboys that Lombardi. Or so I'm told. Either way, Dallas is obviously a much better team and should be serious contenders in this division.

Washington Redskins - If there's one question mark in the division, it is the Washington Redskins. Opting to play the quiet game in free agency and the trade market, Washington seems to have the same talent as they did during the 2015 season. But with a guy by the name of RGIII, they may not need much more.

[​IMG]
    DRC and Nnamdi watch as second stringers practice tackling drills.

[​IMG]
    Desean Jackson makes a great catch in stride over Jerome Boykin.

[​IMG]
    Franchise QB Ryan Tannehill under certer.

[​IMG]
    Lesean McCoy tries to bounce to the outside with a stiff arm on Trent Cole.

[​IMG]
    These fans are ready for some football!!!

• Like Like x 9
  2. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

This division is just getting started...

• Like Like x 1
  3. ferocious

ferocious Bring it

Very Nice Loren, glad to see an owner taking pride in Managing my Eagles. Good Luck this season.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

who counts those games??? who??? Me...LOL!!!
    Like you said, a SB win is a SB win. I'll take it. Makes me think I'm doing something right as a GM. Though, if I go 5-11 again, I'm obviously doing something VERY wrong as a player.
    Great article bro!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Great read!