2017 Rules Changes

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Nov 24, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Everyone's input would be appreciated :)

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are?
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately.
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year?
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer?
    6. Any changes you want to propose?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

1. Ok... Not understanding the rationale. Please explain.
    2. Sure. The more seasons the better. An alternative suggestion... Keep 10 days but go to 24 hour advances? Possible?
    3. No preference.
    4. No, I thought it was fine. There are only a handful of immediate impact type guys and I think that's pretty well in line with the real deal.
    5. Would like to see us all get together and try to hammer out the offseason like most do in NCAA leagues... Set a schedule for two-three sims a night during offseason with export deadlines say at 8 est and 11 est or something like that til we are done?

3. PAgamer07

I added a question about Skype/Google Chat room

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Have no preference... Other than I like google more. I'll be a lemming and roll with the majority. I actively use both.

5. PAgamer07

1. With more cash on hand, that means there is more money floating around and therefore free agents ask for more.
    2. I cant get to the PC every day. The only way we can do this would be to add more simmers, and right now Im not even sure I like having as many as I do.
    4. The problem I felt was that the depth was very good (although could have been a tad deeper), but there were some very OP top picks. Hoping this levels off.
    5. If others are on board, that is fine.

6. PAgamer07

Well Shaun Mason mentioned this as the TMFL draft will be using it, but I have no idea where it is? Its not Google Hangouts because those only have a max of 10.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Hangouts have an upper limit? We may use Skype then.

8. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

1. My owner takes all the cash anyway so no big deal for me.
    2. 15 days sims are good with me.
    3. Yes, prevents the temptation to circumvent the draft pick trade rules.
    4. Draft was ok I think.
    5. I'd like to try google chat, but if there is a limit I guess we have to stay with Skype, which has been fine.

9. sonn

sonn Walk On

1. Okay.

2. I like the 10 day sims especially since we'll just be moving this file into next year's release.

3. I like the one year rule.

4. I think there could have been a little more depth in the form of more 3*s or 2.5*s.

5. Prefer Skype.

6. Nope.

10. PAgamer07

Yeah 10

11. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line. I don't see a current issue with the demands of free agents. They seem to be in line. Teams can always choose not to offer the players contracts.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are? I am in favor of any rule change that leads to more seasons being played. We are more than halfway through the cycle and only have 5 seasons completed.
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately. I'm indifferent on this one.
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year? I'd like to see the strength of the draft pools fluctuate. It would replicate real life drafts, where some are deep and some only have a few superstars and the other plays are mediocre.
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer? I guess I would prefer skype, since I'm already in that one.
    6. Any changes you want to propose? I would like to see more seasons played. Currently, we will only see a couple years of major league service from players who were just drafted, if we stay on the current pace.

12. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Everyone's input would be appreciated :)

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line.
      Don't think i'm ever in danger of this so i'm good.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are?
      Seeing as my team is one that is frequently injured, i'd prefer to keep them at 10 days
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately.
      I personally love that rule
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year?
      I loved it. Could have been a tad bit more deeper, but overall it was great.
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer?
      Prefer skype, but always willing to try something different
    6. Any changes you want to propose?
      Any changes that would all the Tribe to win the World Series

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

1) Ok
    2) I have no problem with 15 day sims
    3) I'd prefer if we went to the real MLB rule of 1 year after being drafted. If you can trade them before that, there's no reason that draft pick trading shold be off.
    4) I was very very unhappy with the draft pool last year. It was far too strong to be reasonable. I know people want more depth, but that's not necessarily realistic. Most of the guys you'll get after the top few rounds in real life are projected to be UTIL guys or fringy #5 starters/swingmen. A 3* guy is almost certainly a ML starter or a mid-rotation starter. There's no reason that they should be available late in the draft. And the top of the draft was FAR too strong. It bordered on insanity. The drafts were very good before. They're almost broken since we decided to up the draft strength.
    5) I'd prefer skype since all of the other league chats are already there too.
    6) Boot sonn

14. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line. Sounds okay.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are? I kind of like the current set-up, but I wouldn't mind trying 15 day sims.
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately. I don't really care either way.
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year? I wasn't around for it.
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer? I've never tried Google Chat. Honestly I would prefer an IRC room. Those are way more manageable.
    6. Any changes you want to propose? No. I don't think so.

15. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line. I'm not sure this will have much of an affect. I feel like the budgets have been on a steady rise and thats why the FA's are asking for so much.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are? I prefer 10 day sims, I was actually hoping someone like me/Timpe/Cole/Smooth would be able to be a dedicated live simmer.
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately. I'm fine with it the way it is, its nice to have a recent draft chip come trade deadline
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year? I thought it was fine
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer? Skype
    6. Any changes you want to propose? Figure out 3 way ties:). On a serious note, I wish one of us could become a dedicated live simmer, there is always about 5 or more in the chat room come sim time, and it would be nice to see them run live. Possibly some kind of contract rules, avoiding the 1 year 40M deals (like having the highest paid player being no more than 25% of payroll or something)

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

1. sure
    2. daily 10 sims would be the best
    3. yes, no more back door draft pick trading
    4. i thought the draft was heavy on talent but that we should run atleast two classes with the same settings before making an adjustment
    5. skype

17. yasky33

yasky33 Walk On

1. $5m max is good
    2. prefer 10 day sims
    3. impose ML rules
    4. draft pool was fine
    5. keep skype

18. PAgamer07

The league will be continuing indefinitely. When OOTP 14 is released we will still be using this save. Nothing restarts.

This is what I want as well. Id still like to see 3* guys around by the 4th round at least. The problem was that the top 5 guys were just crazy good. After that it got better. abolishthefed I have no control over what is generated, just the quality. The game does compensate though by either creating positions which are weak, or if we lose talent, create deeper classes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line. - OK.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are? - Switch to 15 day SIMs imo.
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately. - Keep it the way it is IMO.
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year? - I thought it was fine.
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer? - Google talk.

20. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

1. Sure
    2. I wouldn't mind the switch to 15
    3. No preference really
    4. It was fine
    5. I would keep skype just because I already am using it now, but don't mind a switch.

21. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

1. (y)

2. I like 10. 15 seems to be a bit too long if your team hits a cold stretch, or an injury or 2 you're not prepared for.

3. Yes. I'm all for this being as close to MLB rules as we can possibly get.

4. Yes. The top guys were a bit too outrageous for me. I didn't think the previous classes were incredibly weak, but it was definitely more of a crap shoot to find those guys. There's been plenty of 1* guys who have blossomed into studs, that having to grab a 1* player in the 4th or 5th round isn't a huge deal.

5. Sounds like Skype is our best option.

6. Nope, everything has been running pretty smoothly so far. I'll mention StatsLab to Shaun Mason during our TMFL game tonight and see if its a possibility still or not.

22. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It is, I just need to do it.

23. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

1. :)
    2. 10 day sims
    3. Should be imposed
    4. No
    5. Skype
    6. Miami moves to the AL East

• Like Like x 1
  24. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

1. No opinion either way...I'd say ok.
    2. Both 10 days and 15 days work with me.
    3. I can see why we would want to do this but I'm ok either way.
    4. No, I liked the draft pool from last year and was happy with the change.
    5. I'm on a computer all day at at work so by the time I get home I'm usually only on the computer for about 5-10 minutes before going to bed...so as I'm sure you already know I haven't exactly been one to take advantage of chatting in the evening :) Now if I were I'd probably vote for option B.
    6. Nothing to propose at this time.

25. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

1. This one is non-negotiable... Cash Maximum will be lowered to $5 million in an attempt to get free agent demands a little more in line. Are you referring to money put in a trade? Sorry - confused on what this one is.
    2. Should we switch to 15 day sims during the season, or keep things as they are? What Timpe said above on injuries/cold stretch - especially with a a rotation guy going out
    3. Should we impose the real ML rules about not being able to trade a DRAFTED player until he has been on your roster for 1 year? Currently players can be drafted, signed and the traded immediately. As Ty said above "I'm fine with it the way it is, its nice to have a recent draft chip come trade deadline" Concur
    4. Were you unhappy with the strength of the draft pool last year? Nope. And don't listen to Raj. He is like Ebeneezer Scrooge.
    5. I will either A) be creating a new Skype Convo which I can boot inactive members from OR B) creating a Google chat room. Supposedly this is a lot better than Skype. Which do you prefer? Flexible but prefer Skype
    6. Any changes you want to propose? Just a reminder that even though we are simming baseball, it doesn't mean we have to have ever single rule that the ML does. They have an office of people tracking all these things. If it isn't a button or setting in the game, we should keep manual changes to a minimum so we don't have a bunch of excel workbooks to track all the house rules everyone wants. And we aren't MLB as we already cut out August Waiver Wire trading (which I 100% agree with Pag that it was a logistical nightmare to track) so you can't waive that 100% authenticity flag.