2017 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Stanford = A- Overall (92)

Offense = A Overall (97)

We don't look too bad on offense especially after losing all of those WR's and my Heisman winning QB. We have a familiar face leading the offense this season with QB Rufus Warren in his Senior season. There are some newcomers in the HB position with Pettit and Miller. I expect to give Stewart more carries this season because he will need to get just a bit better to become my starter (he went from a 74 to an 84). I

I was quite worried when it came to my WR core after losing Peterson, Nelson and Johnston all in one sweep but I was pleased with the progression of my other and of the skills the FNG's bring in, shouldn't really miss a beat here.

The O Line lost a couple good players but is still as strong as ever. They should provide the same path for my HB and hopefully better protection. I want to continue to work on dropping back more than I have in the pass in hopes my sack total drops.

Defense = B+ Overall (87)

This is where it gets scary since my defense went from A- overall down to a B+. Losing my star players at just about every position really hurt. But there is some good news with the return of Star DT Brooks. Next to Brooks we will have FR DT Todd Smith. The most area I am concerned with is the LB core but only a small concern and that is with depth. Each player can hold his own on the field.

The secondary should have no issues as most of them are young and ready to play after a year or two behind stars such as Ford, Hall and Smith. I think my defense is a bit underrated this season and should not be underestimated by far.

Prediction

Why not, let's go for 7 straight Pac-12 CCG appearance, this time getting our 3rd crown. I would expect to lose more games this year as my defense isn't nearly as good as it was last year. At best I think I am 10-2 and at worst I believe 8-4.

This is definitely a rebuild year for The Cardinal and while we still aim to win our games, Coach Masler will be focusing a lot of his time into recruiting primarily defensive players. The lack of depth really bit us this offseason, especially with the no persuasion rule, so I need people to be able to step up if people decided to jump ship early.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

• Like Like x 1
  3. jello1717

The 2017 ASU Sun Devil Preview
    [​IMG]
    The Sun Devils are coming off of the first national championship in school history and they look to hit the ground running. They lost a lot of talent from last year's squad, but the 2017 version of the Sun Devils is arguably the best team to ever step on the field for ASU. Because of that, expectations are very high in Sun Devil country.
    Offense (97):
    ASU's 5 pronged rushing attack from last season, which led the country in rushing yards, lost 3 major players with the graduation of Clifton Love and Zach Parrish as well as the early departure of John Yates. All this means is that much hyped Bryan Stephens will see more carries than normal. In addition to Stephens, QB Robbie Thomas, in his 4th year as a starter will contribute to the ground attack. Along side Stephens are 2 true FR phenoms, Brandon Richardson and Will Burks. With these 4 guys, ASU's ground attack has even more speed than in past years.
    ASU lost even more WRs than they did HBs and this is the weakest point of the offense. SR Jeremy Grant will serve as the deep threat as well as the go to guy for Thomas, who has developed very nicely into a true dual threat QB. You can also expect to see some 1st year players lining up at receiver for the Devils, including last year's #1 WR Tyler Ward. He should have an immediate impact and will be a true monster in years to come.
    Despite the return of Thomas and Stephens, unquestionably the strongest part of the offense is the line. It has taken coach Jello some time to build the line that he wanted, but he now has arguably the strongest O-line in the country (and if not THE strongest, it's easily one of the strongest). The best part about the line is that coach Jello has gotten depth in place as well with very strong underclassmen ready to step in once the SRs graduate. You can expect the line to be a strength for many years to come.
    Defense (93)
    As always, this ASU team is led by their defense. Unfortunately, the line is made up solely of new players. JR Dominic Williams and true FR Matt Randle will be the bookends. Randle has the potential to be one of the greatest ever, but he's still very green right now. After 2 years of backing up superstar Trey Robinson, Williams finally gets is time to shine and should be just fine. The line will be anchored by JR DT Jeff Dougherty. He's put in his time as a backup and has played very, very well whenever he's seen the field. I expect him to have a major breakout year as a first time starter.
    The LB corps is once again the strength of the team. LOLB Dan Marshall is the weak link as he's this year's SR(rs) that finally gets his shot to start. The other 3 all came in together 3 years ago and will wreaking all sorts of havoc on opposing offenses. Impact MLB Eric Griffin had to step out of the starting lineup last year with the addition of transfer Mark Seals, but he's the most talented of the bunch and he will be tackling anyone that's stupid enough to run in his direction. Fellow MLB Travis Powers is our enforcer as he led the nation last year with 6 forced fumbles and was 2nd on the team in tackles. You had better cover up if you see him coming your way. ROLB Benjamin Bailey is the pass rusher of the group, with 5.5 sacks last season, and is our fastest backer who flies all over the field.
    With as strong as the LBs are, the secondary can't hardly take a back seat as they have to be one of the best in the country. JR CB Mike Hayes and SR SS Thomas Lambert both led the Pac12 last year with 8 INTs and look to continue that type of ball hawking this year. I strongly suggest that teams don't throw it to their side of the field. At FS, Bill Williams started as a true FR last year and he was a true swiss army knife out there. He could fly into the backfield for a TFL, INT balls thrown his way, forced and recovered fumbles, even had a safety, and led the team in defensive TDs and tackles. I almost feel bad for any team that tries to throw the ball against this secondary or run against my LBs.
    Almost.
    Overall (97)
    As stated, this is the most talented team the Devils have ever seen, and fairly significantly better than last year's championship team. Given that, anything less than a national championship appearance will be a disappointment. Goal #1 is to keep the bitch ass Wildcats in their place. Goal #2 is to win the Pac12 championship. Goal #3 is to make it to the title game.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Arkansas Razorbacks
    2017 Team Preview
    [​IMG]
    OFFENSE
    [​IMG]
    After a decent season(9-5) and a Chick-fil-A bowl win, the Hogs don't lose much on the offensive side of the ball. A big decision to make for the coach as he has 3 very good quarterbacks. Noah Johnson returns for his senior season after being injured when Coach controllerabuser took over. He was unsure about entering the draft so he came back and took a chance on starting for us. Nick Collins, now a sophomore is the leaning choice as he led the team very well under Coach CA, taking the team to a bowl game. However Demetrius Brown, rating wise, isn't far behind. Tough choices for a coach to make. Of course, we get Wesley Johnson back and boy will he be a workhorse. Speed, elusiveness and moves make for a dangerous running back to contend for the Heisman. He has some young talent behind him so look for us to get them clock during blowouts. The only weakness on our offense is our depth at wide receiver. The top ones are very good. We brought in 5 freshman though and will have to rely on the 2 seniors and 1 junior to lead the pack. The biggest thing you need for all of these pieces to come together, a line. We have that as well. Look out for us to make a splash this year!
    DEFENSE
    [​IMG]
    Our defense will have to step up big this year. We lost some good guys that were team leaders. They're going to have to work hard during practice and condition extremely well because I expect them to be on the field a lot due to our star studded offense. Robert Pierce and Clint Sanders, both juniors, will anchor the defensive line. Don't get me wrong, these aren't the only guys on the line, these are the top tier guys we have. Our linebackers and secondary are great. The linebackers are a little under 90 but fast and have experience. Bo Simon, from Abbeville, South Carolina, is our top corner this year. He is a monster. Speed, pursuit and play recognition along with top notch man and zone coverage skills. Our only weakness on the defense is that our starting Free Safety left for the Pro Draft. We'll be starting an inexperienced RS Sophomore from Moody, AL in Chad Breedlove. I do expect our defense to hold strong for us and make our team a contender.
    PREDICTION
    A dangerous offense plus a stout defense should make for a big run at an SEC title perhaps a major BCS Bowl. I can't predict that though. Not in my second season. I did get blown out by Bill and the Georgia Bulldogs but we were in it for awhile and 1 big play turned things around. I believe though that we'll be the SEC West representative again this year. Hopefully, we can give the East a better game. It all comes down to the quarterback play.

• Like Like x 3
  5. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

2017 Georgia Bulldogs
    [​IMG]

Offense (99)

The UGA offense grew up a bit last season and it was due to the improved play of 1st team FR All-American QB Casey Gutierrez. Casey finished the season with 30 TD passes to set a new single season record in Athens. His favorite target, WR Rodney Lewis, also set a single season record by catching 14 of those TD passes. These two will lead a very strong passing game with multiple targets for Gutierrez including, Newby (92), Lewis (91), Montgomery (90), Morris (90), and Inman (88). These guys should be open often as Gutierrez could break his own record with this talented attack. Along with the entire QB and WR corps back, the entire offensive line is back as well. They are very experienced as 3 rsSR and 2 rsJR make up the starters. They have all improved and look to protect the QB better than last season after they gave up a lot of sacks.

The new face in the huddle will be HB Jerry Holland. He probably hasn't gotten as many carries as he would of liked, but this year, he will get all he can handle. Holland busted his butt in the weight room during the offseason and is now the Bulldogs highest rated player at 95. Jerry will be the elusive/speed RB while rsSO Brad Knox will be the power back in the offense. Also new to the huddle will the TEs. Incumbent starter Adrian Small is a great pass catcher with good speed for his size. However, he is a terrible blocker. This may lead the way for the #1 and #2 TE recruits to see the field as they have far better blocking skills.

Defense (97)

Believe it or not, the defense has improved on paper over last year. They return 7 starters and look to be a real force once again for the Bulldogs. Leading the way this year will be a tremendous defensive line. DT Scott Cowan is the best player on the roster at 6'6" 307 and rated 95 overall. Returning along with him are both DEs. Bryan Marshall is a 3 year starter and looks to have his best season yet, and on the other side is rsSO Kerry Jones who is very fast off the edge. These guys will set the tone for the defense and be a headache for the other team all year long.

In the LB corps, the Bulldogs will have to replace 2 of their best from last year. LBOTY Chaz Johnson will be succeeded by Corey Smith who has the speed, acceleration, and hit power to remind Georgia fans of their hard hitting, award winning LB from last year. Also needing to be replaced will be impact MLB Ron Robinson. Two guys will get a shot to fill his shoes as Joesph Quinn and Evan Alvarez will be 1/2 at MLB, but who will be 1 and who will be 2 is TBD.

In the secondary, the Bulldogs will lose both starting CBs, including NCAA record holder Derek Russell. Russell hauled in 15 INTs last year and will sorely be missed. His replacement, however, seems to be as talented as Russell was as rsSR Dan Galloway will take over as the #1 CB. Right on his heals is rsSO Ryan Avery who is faster and has better coverage skills, but lacks the awareness the senior has. Backing these two up are FS Chris Gonzalez and SS Chaz Sullivan who will be in their 2nd years as starters after a solid year last year.

Overall (99)

This team will be good. It's by far the best offense I've had while at UGA and the defense isn't that far off. I expect to win the SEC again and compete for a National title.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Wildcats 2017 Preview
    [​IMG]

The Wildcats are coming off their best season in school history clinching their first Rose Bowl win. This team has a decent amount of turnover so the question this season will be who are the playmakers?

Offense:

Key losses: QB C. Doucette (school passing leader), HB E. Johnson (draft)

The two guys above played a huge part in the NU offense last season. No worries though as RS JR QB Laurence Burton, the highly touted QB recruit will finally get his chance to shine. Burton has played sparingly over the past two years and has been exciting. At HB, the early departure of Johnson resulted in an open competition for the starting job. JR Michael Rankin split time with Johnson last season and looked to have the inside track, but slippery hands in the spring game has put his PT in jeopardy. In coming VHT freshman recruit Howard Smith has already put his name in the fold and may well be the opening day starter. SR Marcus Smith and SO Eric Owens will also compete. It looks to be a running back by committee this season is my guess.

The star of the offense this season may be SR WR Mike Carter. He's had a very good career so far for the Wildcats and he's this years most dangerous offensive weapon. He'll be complimented by JR Ben Lewis at the other flanker position and sensational SO Montrell Brooks in the slot.

[​IMG]
    The front line is also one of the best NU has had in this edition of NCAA so this offense should have potential. (Average 82 overall for the OL)​
    Defense:​
    Key Losses: CB Stephen Perkins, DE John Swain, DT Jesse Hill​
    The loss of the three guys above could be big. The DL was a huge factor of NU's success last season getting after QB's and containing the run. Swain and Hill were both monsters in stature and aren't easy to replace. DE Larry Powell is returning however, and he's ready to have a big year as a true JR.​
    [​IMG]
    How the guys play along side of him though will be a big factor of his success.​
    The LB corps is sound as two of four starters return. SR Ryan McKinney will be the leader of this unit along with Powell. Darren Waters is back for his SO season after garnering FR AA honors last year. The coaches are expecting big things from him this season. In addition, Ricky O'Brien and AJ Smith will man the other LB spots as SO and RS FR respectively. ​
    The secondary is where a lot of the interest is. The departure of Perkins hurts as he set a school record for INT's last season. Terrell Miller and JUCO JR Tyson Quinn will step in at corner and try to be just as good. The safeties behind this unit is unlike any safety tandem coach KSherm has had at NU and should really help the front 7. FS Tim Powell returns from a season ending ankle injury last year and has reclaimed his starting spot. True SO Loren Brown has moved from FS to SS and looks to be taking to the change quite nicely. ​
    Overall​
    This team has a bunch of new faces at some big positions compared to last years team, but overall, the talent level has increased. This team is still young, but it's getting better every day and will look to have another strong season. A back to back trip to the Rose Bowl is probably out of the question as the OOC schedule is daunting. NU also gets Michigan and Michigan State in back to back weeks so things won't be easy. Thankfully Wisconsin travels to Evanston this year and NU will have it's best shot yet at taking down the Badgers. It's still a ridiculous mountain to climb however.​

• Like Like x 2
  7. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Spartan Preview 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Offense (96 Overall)
    The offense looked like it was going to turn the corner last year with a big win over USC in the opener, but things went downhill from there. It became evident as the season progressed that the Spartans lacked a go-to guy. There was a severe lack of consistency and eventually the playbook had to be thrown out, forcing the offense to go back to the basics. 2016 saw a number of long time Spartans graduate on the offensive side of the ball, especially at the WR position. On the surface it looks like it may hurt the offense further, but it also may be a blessing in disguise. MSU has always had the talent at QB and a decent enough O-line to produce, but as I said before they have sorely needed a playmaker ever since WR Keith Mumphrey departed. The offense now looks towards new life, bringing in a number of young guys that haven't seen the field much due to depth on this side of the ball. On paper, it looks like QB George Chase finally has the weapons around him to challenge for the B1G title. At HB, the Spartans boast 5 backs all above 82 overall with speed and power. The top back is JR Kevin Tucker, who saw his speed increase by a couple points this offseason. At WR, Blake Lewis and MJ Houston finally get to start after both of them have sat on the bench for 4 years. 2015's #1 WR recruit Nate Gibson will also see the field for the first time. All 3 of them are extremely quick, possess great hands, and most importantly they run exceptional routes. Add the size and ability of MSU's 3 TEs to the mix and the passing game could shatter records this season.
    Defense: (96 Overall)
    The biggest losses to graduation were felt on this side of the ball. MLB Barrett Hayes, DT Antione Smith, FS Justin Thompson, and MSU's top 4 corners said goodbye to the green and white. Obviously, the most difficult task is replacing the 4 CBs. There is some talented youth in the secondary, but they are all very inexperienced, so this unit will probably not live up to last years standards. Replacing linebackers is no sweat, with SO MLB Larry Parrish filling in for Hayes. Parrish may already be more talented than his predecessor. Along the line the Spartans should continue to be strong with their stable of DEs and highly touted DTs Buster Lambert (JR) and Lionel Frye (SR) starting for the first time. Watch out for SS James Morris (97 overall) who surprised everyone by returning for his senior season and former #1 FS recruit Terrance Hill (JR) finally gets his time to shine now that Thompson is gone.
    Overall (97)
    As before, this team has all the pieces to make a run at a title or two, but will need to avoid the letdowns and mistakes that have plagued them for the last several years. There are no more excuses for Chase this season as he has all the tools around him to showcase one of the most prolific offenses in Spartan history.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jello1717

Tee hee!

9. GoGators

Hey, 82 is huge! I think two seasons ago I was around a 76 overall upfront.

Also, any idea what my overall and offense/defense rankings are?

10. GoGators

Going from this, it seems you really like Bill Belichik's latest offensive creation.....you taking the Pats Sunday?

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha the reason I have 3 good ones is because I had my original guys all graduate in one single season, leaving me to scramble for replacements. Dakota beat me out for all of the guys I wanted during the regular season, so I had to settle for a 3-star JUCO Sophomore who I didn't think would be any good (Long, who is now an 88 OVR JR) and that offseason I landed the #2 TE, John Fountain, who is my #1 guy (91 OVR). The following season I was able to land the #1 TE because he had me #1 to start the season and Dakota had already filled his spots the season prior.

I like using the TE, but it's not often that you are a good team with the TE being your focal point. The Pats are amazing to me in that they are able to use those two guys so effectively. I am not taking them for the win, however. As much as I dislike Eli and Coughlin, I think the Giants will win because of that Dline.

12. GoGators

Same boat here.... I'd put money on the Giants, but I'll be rooting for the Pats.

13. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I'm going down tomorrow and Wednesday to try and get tickets for Madden Bowl. It'd be sweet to rub elbows with some NFL gamers. Also trying to win tix to maxim and playboy parties. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jello1717

I have 4 of 14 O-linemen (all 4 are FR) that are rated below 82 (77, 79, 79, 80). My starters average 93.

Your team is: 84/85/82 (ovr/off/def)

15. GoGators

Good luck man. If you need any tips on a playboy party, I'm sure Randiesel75 can pass along a few......lucky bastard!

16. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

One of the best parties of my life!

17. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

[​IMG]

The 2017 Wisconsin Badgers begin the season in unfamiliar territory, for the first time in 3 years they are not the defending champs. This is a talented team that is hungry to get back to work to get the bitter taste of defeat out of its mouth. Despite the fact that only 9 starters return from last years team, the 2017 Badgers begin the season at #1. An early season test against the Arkansas Razorbacks will see if it is deserved.

Offense -- This unit returns only 3 starters from last years squad, but on paper should be every bit as good. Senior QB Chris Frank returns for his fifth year in Madison and his leadership and experience will be heavily relied upon. Freshman HB Joe Butler, the number one rated recruit two years ago, has earned the starting job and will be featured. (he rushed for 240 yards and 2 tds in the season opener) Wisconsin is known for its offensive lines and this unit shouldn't disappoint. With each starter rated at 91 or above, expect big holes in the running game.

Defense -- With 6 starters returning, this unit will have a nice blend of experience and youth. DE Jim Sims decided to wait one more year on the NFL and leads this unit. Sims is a beast, rated at 95, and will terrorize B1G QBs. Inside is DT Mike Wilson, who rates at a 94. Wilson is excellent at getting off blocks, so expect him to be spending some time in the opponents backfield. Junior MLB Josh Berg is the leader on the field and is counted on to make plays all over the field.

Outlook -- The Badgers' goal every year is to win the B1G title, so that's where everything starts. Three early season top 10 opponents will certainly test this young team and set an early tone for what the season could look like.

18. GoGators

This makes me nauseous. The #1 recruit in the nation takes a redshirt......incredible.

19. dakota7

He still isn't even the highest rated guy on my roster. He's slightly behind a soph, 88-86 overall. And if the two guys hadn't left early, he definitely wouldn't be the starter in that case either.

20. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

When the #1 recruit is only coming in 3 or 4 points better than the 125th guy, there isn't much parody in overall with the top recruits.

No EA recruits come in like a Julio Jones or Sammy Watkins. There is a cap of about 82 which wouldn't garner a starting spot on Alabama or Wisconsin. Overall recruiting needs an overhaul and they should add these once every 4 year type guys along with some 3* diamonds in the rough (ie Ryan Kerrigan 3* to 1st round pick).

21. jello1717

I think a lot of the problems with not redshirting studs comes from the way most of you (everyone except me?) do your depth charts. A lot of times I'll see positions with open spots (IE. only 2 QBs) or guys out of position (like LBs @ DE and I've even seen a LB at DT before). If you actually filled your depth chart with guys at the correct position, it would lead to much less redshirting.

As an example, take a look @ my HBs:
    [​IMG]

Now I'd bet dollars to donuts that the vast majority of you (all of you?) would be redshirting the #4 guy I I'd also bet that some of you would be redshirting BOTH of the FR HBs in this situation and just fill your #3 and #4 "HB" spots with FBs or something. But I fill every position on my depth chart the way it's supposed to be filled so even though I have 2 true FR HBs (#4 and #11 from last year) and 2 upper classmen, both of my FR will see the field (and have already gotten carries in our first game).

22. GoGators

I think we can say with almost 99% certainty that both those guys are getting redshirted for majority of the teams here. Same can be said for WR's. Typically guys will redshirt that 5th or 6th guy rather than filling out their depth chart.

I think it'd be pretty interesting to implement a redshirt rule along the lines of what you're doing here. It'd need a lot of thought though because I'm not sure how you'd go about the OL where there's 3 slots for T/G's.

One of the scenarios I think we all run into is using your example, say we have 5 rostered HB's. The bottom two overall guys are as follows:

RS SO 74 Overall
    True FR 75 Overall

Which player would you put in your #4 spot on the depth chart?

Also, the argument you're going to get is most guys don't use 4 running backs. They only use 2 so why can't they redshirt the other two.

The other problem is we just don't see enough injuries and there's no season long fatigue to contribute to needing depth. It'd be cool if that was implemented next year.

23. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

But won't they still redshirt if they don't record a stat?

So if Burks never carries the ball, and never sees the field even when you mass sub, he will still get a redshirt, right? You have to conscientiously think about getting him a stat via formation subs or depth chart changing in a blow out.

24. jello1717

He will redshirt with no stats, but another problem I see is that the guys lower on the depth chart see entirely too little PT on everyone else's teams considering the very high number of blowouts that we routinely see.

For me, if I'm in a blow out, my #3 and 4 HBs are coming in and my #6,5,4,3 WRs get in as well as #2 (IE doe DEs) and #3,4 (for MLBs) and #5,4,3 for CBs.

25. dakota7

When the CPU creates your depth chart to start the season, it puts the "best" player on the depth chart. If someone has a LB at DT, it's probably because that person didn't edit their depth chart. Are those the only 4 HBs on your roster? If so, I would redshirt Burks but not Richardson. I have had three HBs always available.
    On the offensive line or possibly in the linebacker crew or safeties, I have mixed guys on the depth chart. But I never put linebackers at DE or safeties at LB or HBs at QB. I am able to redshirt guys because I have balanced my recruiting and am never in a critical situation at any position.