2017 Wild Card: Defense and Special Teams Lead the Seahawks to Victory

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by LtJustice, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

For the first time this release, the NFC West Champion Seattle Seahawks found themselves playing on Wild Card weekend, as they took on the Dallas Cowboys, holders of the top Wild Card spot in the NFC. These two teams are familiar foes, as the Seahawks defeated the Cowboys quite convincingly in their week 15 match-up this season. There would be no such one-sidedness this time around, as the Seahawks had to survive a rally in the closing minutes to escape with the victory here.

The Cowboys defense came in clearly fired up, as they held the dangerous Seahawks offense to field goals or punts on the majority of their possessions, giving up only one offensive touchdown on the day. Dallas Pro Bowl quarterback Jimmy Echavaria is well known for his gunslinger mentality and that was definitely on display in this game as he threw for over 400 yards passing and a couple of touchdowns, but also threw 5 interceptions on the day. The Cowboys looked to clearly be missing halfback Lance Dunbar, their leading rusher this season, who's season was ended early with a dislocated elbow. Despite a workman like effort from Demarco Murray, 62 yards on 15 carries, the Cowboys seemed to give up on their run game in the 2nd half when Seattle took the lead.

In a crazy game, where the usually sure handed Seattle receiving corps appeared to be allergic to catching the ball, the vaunted Seahawks defense was the story of this game. Playing their usual high risk, high reward style, and despite allowing over 400 yards passing to Echavaria, their five interceptions, including one returned the length of the field for a touchdown by Richard Sherman, were the difference in this game. That was one of three picks on the day for Sherman, while stand out linebacker Korey Toomer had the other two INTs for the Seahawks.

Not to be overlooked was the play of the Seattle special teams. Rookie kicker Kain Gayle was a perfect 4-4 on the day kicking field goals, including a long of 54 yards, as he racked up 15 points in this one. Veteran tight end Delanie Walker, primarily a special teamer at this stage in his career, made a huge recovery of a fumble on a 4th quarter Seattle kick return, where he not only scooped up the loose ball, but took it to the house for a touchdown!

The Seahawks coaching staff were said to be happy with contributions coming from all phases of their game, but they know they have some areas they need to work on before their next big match-up in the divisional round.

GG Moe!
    (CaptMoe)

• Like Like x 3
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

That KR FR for a TD was ridiculous. Thx for the highlights Jim. Nice win.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Delanie Walker outrunning people??? Ridiculous is an understatement. That's Madden for you.
    Regardless, 5 INTs is a huge mountain to overcome...

4. LtJustice

???...Who did he outrun (besides his own teammate running along side him)? Smh

• Like Like x 2
  5. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

the opening production with the music and pregame festivities got me hyped! lmao..great stuff man

• Like Like x 2
  6. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Can someone please tell me how there is pregame animations going on before this game? I never see that???

7. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I agree, no one was even in the vacinity after that one missed tackle when he scooped it up. Could have been a 200 yard field and no one would have/should have caught him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LtJustice

I have my secrets, muahahahahaha!

9. LtJustice

Seriously though, I started a game against the CPU the night before, to capture all of the animations. A much easier solution than when I did the Super Bowl highlights and recreated the whole scenario in a dummy franchise, that was a p.i.t.a.!

• Like Like x 2
  10. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Masterful work! .... Can't wait until we can actually watch these games live on the 4!! We'll have to set up a chat through daddy leagues or YIM so all who are watching can comment. (Without the 5-10 second delay it takes through ustream or twitch in PS Live)

• Like Like x 4
  11. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

hey those Superbowl highlights are a thing of beauty, especially those Colts highlights ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

yea yea... :p

14. Mugga

Mugga Walk On

ThaBayouChef on the 4 our friends can watch us play live ??

15. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

Great win Jim one day I hopefully can post highlights

• Like Like x 3
  16. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Yea man. On the home screen they have a PS Live section where you can watch other people who are streaming. To stream you just need a PS4 camera and a UStream or Twitch account. As long as you have that you can broadcast your games and anyone can watch.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DarkKnight89

DarkKnight89 Walk On

Dallas straight gave this game away. Too many forced bad passes. Im not discrediting Jim because he had some good disguises but you gotta take whats given.