2018 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Jan 15, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It's that time gentlemen... the Media wants to know what we can expect from your clubs this year. The preseason will be here tonight, and then it is time to play some actual games...

So please, take some time and answer these questions from your local media.

1. Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year?
    2. Any signings or trades you are excited about?
    3. In your short time with your ballclub, which ONE player has been your favorite?
    4. What are your expectations for your team this year?
    5. Discuss your division and your expectations and thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. PAgamer07

3. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

1. Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year?
    Just got on the team as of a few days again and have not looked at who I have lost. I am only worried about the future of the Boston Red Sox

Just signed first baseman Anthony Aliotti and also signed pitcher Lance Lynn who should be a solid 2-4th man in the rotation.

3. In your short time with your ballclub, which ONE player has been your favorite? My favorite player would have to be Lynwood Abbott. Very young guy with a lot of speed and a bright future of locking up right field at Fenway Park!

I am hoping this team can turn from being 13 games under .500 to a few game over. Depending how we start and look in spring training the expectations may rise.

Toronto and Tampa Bay look like to still be the two top dogs in the division. Think it is going to be a battle between those two for the Al East Title. Then the loser will get the wild card and be a force in the playoffs. With an improving Baltimore and New York squad it will be a great battle to see who finishes in third place.
    Looking forward to the BIGGEST rivalry in all of baseball.. SOX and YANKEES!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

• Like Like x 4
  5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year?

The Giants were unable to resign SP Yu Darvish. Darvish wanted an 8 year contract worth appx $21 mln per year. Even though the club could afford that contract, it would hamstring the club in future contract negotiations. SP Joe Blanton also became a free agent. Blanton pitched well for the Giants, but his age and diminishing skills resulted in him not be resigned.

Any signings or trades you are excited about?

The biggest offseason signing for the Giants was SS Steve Lombardozzi. Lombardozzi brings the top of the order high OBP guy the Giants have been lacking the past 6 seasons. Now, there may be someone on base when Posey, Sandoval, Fuller, and Oropressa start mashing. After losing out in the Kershaw sweepstakes, the Giants signed SP Brian Matusz and Matt Garza to hold down the #3 and #4 roles and replace Darvish and Blanton. Giants management hopes their ability to get the ball over the plate will translate well into AT&T Park, which is pitcher friendly.

In your short time with your ballclub, which ONE player has been your favorite?

That honor goes to Brian Wilson. He has been solid every year at the closer spot and didn't spend much time on the DL until last season.

What are your expectations for your team this year?

The Giants were not as successful in the offseason as they needed to be. The holes in the starting rotation, along with holes in CF and RF will probably lead to a mediocre season in 2018. However, finances are in great shape to make some moves at the trade deadline. They are also in great shape to take on some large contracts in future years.

Discuss your division and your expectations and thoughts?

Arizona has to be considered the favorite again this year. The other teams in the division seem to be in rebuilding mode.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 2018 Philadelphia Phillies Media Days [​IMG]

Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year?

Definitely Miguel Cabrera- the fans let us know they were upset after we lost the perennial all star, but this is a business and we had to make a business decision. We recently acquired KC Hobson from Toronto, so hopefully he can fill those shoes.

Obviously Hobson was a huge get for us- which I addressed on the last question. The addition of closer Daniel Schlereth is also a big one- as he will give us a good closer to hopefully close out some wins from our strong pitching staff.

Well, I haven't coached a game with them yet, but I really like my second baseman Donald Walker. He appears to have all star potential and should be exciting this year.

I expect us to be there in the playoffs- anything short of making the playoffs will be a failure this season, even if it is my first with the club.

Miami was right there with us last year, and Washington has plenty of talent to keep at the top. Obviously beating Washington when we play them will be priority number one, as will any divisional game. Atlanta has an experienced coach at the helm so they could really bounce back this year and make a run I think. New York and Ike Davis will likely be there when it is all said and done as well. It should be a tough division and I don't see anyone winning it by more than 4 or 5 games. As I said before, anything short of playoffs is a failure this year, so my expectations are to be playing in the post season.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year
    C Jason Castro had been a mainstay in Houston, produced very well vs RHP last year. SP Derek Holland was out half the year but was a solid #5 for me when he came back. Depleted my thin farm system in the offseason, hope it doesn't come back to bite me

Missed out on Kershaw, signed a good looking MR Michael Kohn. Grabbed one of the better hitting C's in the game and a power hitting RHB to bolster my lineup.

I would say SP Armando Flores, my 1st ever draft pick, always rooting for him to do well.

I expect to be the first to win back-to-back WS

OAK and LAA came on strong late last year. SEA has 3 good SP's but offense can't compete with me. I still believe HOU is the class of the division at this point, but wouldn't be surprised to see one of these 3 to make a Wild Card spot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

We didn't lose a whole lot. We may miss Ian Kinsler a little, but his health was always a concern.

I'm excited about the signing of Miguel Cabrera. He should bring some consistency to the middle of out lineup that was missing.

I guess my answer would be Billy Hamilton. He's probably the most exciting guy in baseball right now and flies completely under the radar.

I expect to get back to the World Series and take care of business this time. The pitching is there along with the fielding, but will the offense be enough?

Pittsburgh really added some quality players that should help improve on their 97 loss season last year. They could be a surprise team. St Louis also had a decent amount of turnover. I like the signing of Avila, but losing Lance Lynn will hurt. Honestly, I like our chances in the division again and don't see anyone really giving us too much trouble.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

Oakland A's Press Conference
    We might miss Anthony Aliotti a little, but I think our new first base options will be a fine replacement.

We're happy to have Josh Harrison on board to finally round out our infield.

I think I would say Carlos Mendoza. His style of play really works for me.

It'll be another rough year in this division, but I think if we aren't too buffeted with injuries we have a decent chance at getting the wildcard.

This division is the most competitive in the league, and I didn't see anything this off-season that would suggest that that has changed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]
    2018 Washington Nationals Press Conference
    [​IMG]

The big loss is SS Steve Lombardozzi, he wanted a pretty decent sized contract and we have a pretty good supply of middle infielders in the minors along with Rob Ames and Curt Agan currently at the big league level. Our biggest need was getting another #2 potential starting pitcher and we believed, as hard as it was, that we had to let Lombo go in order to achieve that.

We were entered into the Kershaw sweepstakes and our next target was bringing back Gio. Those two options were scratched and Yu Darvish and Lance Lynn were still out there, we chose Yu and he signed. Little did we know, not doing our research, that he was a comp guy and we lose a pick.

In your short time with your ball club, which ONE player(s) has been your favorite?

Well from the existing roster, of course Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg even though the flame thrower hasn't exactly dominated in The Dugout. The guys that have been drafted or picked up include: OF Howard Strickland, INF Curt Agan and frustrating SP Marcos Mendoza.

I am afraid we had our one hit wonder even though the talent has been in Washington from day 1. After losing a 3-1 advantage in the NLCS, we look to get back there and then advance to the World Series. Must have good play and fortune come our way again.

As always Atlanta scares the hell out of our team, then Miami with Yelich leading the way, now the Phillies take over the 3rd spot with Kasper taking over and last but not least in this tough division, the Mets.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sonn

sonn Walk On

Only real big move I made was trading Hobson to Philly in order to free up a spot for Gabe McPherson. Tommy Hanson left in free agency so the 5th starter spot will be decided in spring training. The rest of the team remains largely intact.

The Jays were relatively quiet in free agency and decided to spend money locking up abritration eligible players. The biggest move was locking up ace Chris Sale to a 2 year extension with a team option for a 3rd.

Probably John 'Seaweed' Watkins. He has come back from 2 major injuries including Tommy John in his first year, worked himself back and has turned into a key part of the rotation.

Playoffs at the very least. The Jays have made the ALCS the last 2 years and with almost everyone returning expectations are high. While the trade of Hobson hurts a bit, McPherson has the ability to be the best hitter on an offense that already was one of the best in the league the last couple of years.

The only real challenger I see in the division right now is Tampa, I see Baltimore and their self proclaimed best GM in the game (hahahahahaha) hovering around .500 again even with the best hitter in the AL in Dave Moore. New York and Boston seem to be bringing up the rear again but as the Yankees' signing of Clayton Kershaw shows they'll always have the financial muscle to stay around. Of course a few injuries and all this could change drastically.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG] 2018 Milwaukee Brewers Media Day [​IMG]

Not particularly... We are actively fielding offers for some of our pitching to address some concerns down the road.
    Will Middlebrooks was not offered arbitration and went into Free Agency, but that is really about it. We'll miss his glove and pop at the plate, but he struck out far too much and his hitting really fell off in 2017.

Not really. We brought in BJ Upton to pair with brother Justin Upton from time to time, and to help groom young Clark Francis and Jose Garcia in the outfield. A little pleased by signing Rick Porcello for a low risk deal. Hopefully he can redevelop a bit at a lower cost and we can ink him for a little longer.

3. In your short time with your ballclub, which ONE player has been your favorite?
    The player I like the most is my current 2B Paullo Peito. I drafted him in the 2nd round of my first draft and he's developed into the exact player I hoped he would. Speed, great glove, great contact. It would have been Ryan Braun had his vagina not fallen off on several occasions to make him the most overpaid lump of dog turd in this league.

It's hard to say after last years disappointment, but anything less than a playoff birth and it will be hell to pay for some of the guys on the team. We're a "Win now!" team this season.

Year in and year out the NL Central beats up on itself, top to bottom. The Reds seem to be the leaders of the pack, with stout starting pitching and always a solid offense. The fucking Cubs never go away, and the Pirates are never one to overlook either. The damn Cardinals are a consistent threat as well... They may have one of the best lineups in the division, between Wong, Avila, Jefferies, etc... It's a fun division to play in, but you can't overlook anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year
    Gabby Sanchez was an on base machine.

Just signed a few pieces that hopefully will play up to the standard.

Christian Yelich

Who cares. I live in Miami.

Where did Philly come from last season? Looks like Atlanta is on the decline. Every is happy about that. Sometimes I forget the Mets are in the division.

[​IMG]

14. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    - My roster wasnt exactly solid to begin with, obvious by the fact that I didnt even win 60 games, so its hard to really miss anyone. The biggest losses for me will probably end up being Tyler Clippard and Rick Porcello though. Porcello really isnt a huge loss though as he definitely wasnt worth the $16 mil I was paying him.

- We threw our hat into the ring for Kershaw (admittingly knowing we had a snowballs chance in hell of signing him) but that didnt work out. Its hard to attract players when you've been as bad as we have the last few years. Regardless, we did sign some cheap filler SPs that hopefully will help rebound from a horrible starting staff we had last year.

- While I do love Hegwood and the potential to have him at 2B for the long term (signed him to a long term deal last year), Nick Ramirez is really growing on me. He hit 34 HR's and had 98 RBI's last year playing in SD with no protection. His future is very bright, especially if I can get him some help in the lineup. Hes probably one of the best left handed hitters in the game.

- Not good. We're one year away from being out from under all the bad contracts I burdened the team with. Hopefully in that year my prospects continue to improve. I know its a big "if", but I feel that our in field is solid and if my SP / OF prospects continue to develop we have a definite shot a starting to compete next season. This season though is looking to be another bottom of the division snooze fest.

- Arizona and San Francisco are looking to be the heavy favorites. Both are going to be very tough to beat. If I had to predict a winner right now, I would probably give the nod to San Fran.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

[​IMG] 2018 Arizona Diamond Backs [​IMG]
    2017 N.L. West Division Champs (92-70)
    #1 Attendance in Major League Baseball (4,046,927)
    N.L. Rookie of the Year (1B Eduardo Lozano)
    School yard bullies and just better at everything than all you other turds.

Well we let Joe Patterson go to free agency, the talented lefty has been a staple in our bullpen since year one and one of the best lefty relievers in baseball. Unfortunately an increase in age and decrease i performance earned him his walking papers. Other than that our club is set up solid and any guys who leave will be for the betterment of our organization.​
    Haven't made too many moves. Our biggest weakness, pitching, was a great strength two seasons ago so we are going to ride it out and see if they can regain their form. We did add minor league 1B Josh Vitters who hit 42 homers in AAA last year to back up Lozano and 3B Eduardo Salcedo to bring a great defensive replacement and give Tomshaw some rest against leftys.
    Probably Trevor Cahill. While a part of my team he always pitched above his ratings and kept us in ball games when others couldn't. But more importantly he was the key to us acquiring catcher Patrick Tolentino from Cleveland who has become an on base machine hitting in the 2 spot ahead of monsters Lozano and Tomshaw.​
    Well if tradition holds our #1 offense will shit the bed and our poor pitching will be lights out causing us to be mediocre and fight for a wild card spot. With a loaded farm system and a very young ML roster we have tools to make moves within the season though, if there are willing parties.
    San Diego sucks, the Rockies suck but always beat us, we are San Francisco's daddy so hopefully the rest of the league can get some wins against them and allow us to hang another banner in front of our 49,000 average attendance. And I think we should bring back waiver trades after the deadline.​

• Like Like x 2
  16. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    (y)

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

LOL

18. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

[​IMG]
    2018 Atlanta Braves

Brandon Beachy. He'd been on the team since we started, and had some good seasons, so it stung a little to let him go.

We basically revamped our entire bullpen after we finished near the bottom of the NL in bullpen ERA last year. They had a combined 25 losses for us, so it was time to make some changes. One that stands out in particular is lefty Joe Thatcher. He's going to come in and play a huge role as the lefty setup man against some of these offense powerhouses in the NL East.

Julio Teheran without a doubt. The guy has been absolutely sick for me. At the age of 27 he already has 120 Wins and 1737 K's in 270 games. He also boasts a career 2.94 ERA and 1.12 WHIP. One of the best pitchers in recent history.

I expect to be right back in the battle for the NL East crown this year. Without the bullpen problems, I think we can make a run at being successful again this season. Our offense has another year of experience under there belt, and should produce a little bit better this year.

The NL East is going to be the best division in baseball top to bottom. Last year we finished last at about 8 games below .500. Miami and Washington are both going to be incredibly tough to beat again, but I think I'll be right up there with them, with Philly and NYM just behind us.

19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

That blue....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

No one I lost but there are certainly guys I would like to lose.

Last year I set my team up to be set for a few seasons (hopefully) so no major signings or trades for my team. A couple trades I made last year didn't pan out as well as I would have liked though...see Ubaldo Jiminez and Zack Greinke. Jiminez was injured and his ratings significantly dropped. Greinke was decent but didn't perform at the level I had hoped.

Huck Donahue without a doubt is my favorite player. He developed fast and exceeded my expectations. I knew he would be a solid everyday player but never to the level he turned out to be. He should be fun to watch for years to come.

Some of the youth on my team really developed last year while some guys (Ubaldo Jiminez & John Hellweg) I was hoping to rely on were injured early and out most of the season. With the developed youth and players recovered from injury I believe I have a team that can compete in the division. Huck is still a beast (although contact dropped from 80 to 75) and should have another solid season. Realistic expectations would be a Wild Card spot.

The AL West was very solid last year and I have no reason to think it won't be again this year. It should be another fun year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Not really, good riddance for the most part.
      Clayton Kershaw is definitely the biggest name, I'm hoping he doesn't tank like every other pitcher has done after coming to New York. I'm also interested to see what Ian Kinsler can do for us, at the very least I hope he can stay healthy and play good defense.
      I'm going to go with Justin Lumsd. He was the first guy I drafted and he has turned out to be a damned good player...when he's been healthy.
      Expecting to play .500 ball, hoping to sneak into a wild card spot.
      Hard to say, this is a killer division to be in. Sonn really seems to have the Jays rolling. Baltimore still has a ton of talent but they just can't seem to put it all together. It should be interesting to see what the FNG in Tampa can do, as they are loaded as well. And I hate Boston so they fucking suck. In the end, I expect the Blue Jays to win the division and the Rays to take a wild card spot.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

1. Anyone you are going to miss from your roster that may have either been traded or gone to free agency that was on your team last year? Wilhelmsen is probably the biggest blow to our team but I think we'll be fine in the pen.
    1. Any signings or trades you are excited about? We have hopes that Runzler will be able to take over the closer role after we lost Wilhelmsen.
    2. In your short time with your ballclub, which ONE player has been your favorite? Blake DeWitt without a doubt. Nobody knows how he became the beast that he was for us.
    3. What are your expectations for your team this year? A wildcard spot is probably our goal, and to knock Houston out of the playoffs of course.
    4. Discuss your division and your expectations and thoughts? Houston looks strong again, but they seem to be injury prone at times so we'll have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

17 teams talking at media day.. that's got to be some kind of record.

• Like Like x 2
  24. PAgamer07

Someone check Dewitts playoff stats

25. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Yeah, when the hell did this league get active outside of sim posts again?? Hopefully we can keep it up this time :)