2018 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Darkwing, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Post 'em up

2. Darkwing

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

[​IMG]

2018 Wisconsin Badgers

The 2017 BCS championship was not an easy road. Faced with an early season loss to Arkansas, this team stared adversity in the eye and stormed back to win its final 11 games. The 2017 team featured a dominating defense and a powerful rushing attack. Expect more of the same in 2018.

Offense -- This unit returns 8 starters, but will need to overcome the graduation of 3 year starting quarterback Chris Frank. Senior QB Joe Thomas will finally get a chance to play and he is ready. Thomas possesses a rocket arm and nimble feet. Thomas has no shortage of weapons at his disposal, the least of which is Heisman runner up HB Joe Butler. Butler is a punishing runner, but is also surprisingly quick. Butler runs behind the best offensive line in the country, a unit that prides itself in destroying the opposing defense. Four offensive linemen check in at 96 overall or higher.

Defense -- The Badger defense, which finished the season as the nation's number 1 ranked unit, is in a state of transition. Seven starters from last year's team will need to be replaced. There is no shortage of talent, however. Three year starter MLB Adam Berg is the units undisputed leader. DT Jermaine Campbell was dominant last year and is expected to control the line of scrimmage. CB Ryne Bell is a shutdown corner on the outside and seems to always make big plays.

Outlook -- The Wisconsin Badger football program has become the gold standard in the country. Winning 4 of the last 5 BCS championships and 7* consecutive B1G championships has marked this school as the one to beat year in and year out. The 2018 team is extremely talented and features many superstars. Expect this team to factor once again in the National title picture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

The 2018 Arizona State Sun Devil Season Preview

Honoring Past Heroes
    ASU said goodbye to some great players who helped to lead the Sun Devils to their first ever national championship 2 years ago and to 2 straight BCS national championship games. QB Robbie Thomas, HB Bryan Stephens, MLB Travis Powers, and SS Thomas Lambert (ASU's all time leader for interceptions) are the ones that will be missed most.

Welcoming New Blood
    ASU's team is very young this year with only 12 SRs (only 7 of whom start) and 11 JRs and with 9 starters that are either a FR or SO. Coach Jello has worked with very young teams in the past and gotten them to gel just fine so we can expect the Sun Devils' youth to not cause any problems.

Offense = Speed for Sun Devils
    ASU has a lot of fresh faces on the offensive side of the ball. Last year SR 4 year starting QB Robbie Thomas went down in the 1st quarter of the season and didn't return until the CCG. In his place Jamel Parks started the entire season, but he proved to coach Jello that, despite his 95 OVR rating, he's not the guy for the job due to his 15/13 TD/INT ratio (Thomas had better than a 2/1 ratio over his career). This means that the #1 QB recruit in the country 2 years ago, Ken Hall, will get the starting nod as a FR(RS). As long as he can protect the ball, the job is his. Hall is just one of many fast Devils on offense.
    In the back field, SOs Brandon Richardson and Will Burks will try to fill the figuratively huge (but physically small) shoes of Bryan Stephens. ASU usually splits the carries between 3 or 4 backs, but this year, Richardson and Burks will carry the load.
    The receivers are mostly young, but have an incredible upside for ASU. They are all a threat to take it to the house every time they touch the ball.
    Just like last year, the O-line is the best part of the entire team as they are rated 89, 94, 95, 94, 90 despite the fact that there's only 1 SR and 2 SOs in the group! The 1 SR is backed up by an 87 OVR FR so the O-line is going to be ridonkulous next year!

Defense Must Replace Irreplacable Players
    The defense lost 5 starters, but these weren't your average players. They lost SS Thomas Lambert who broke the ASU record for most career INTs, CB Mike Hayes who would've broken that record if he came back for his SR season, and MLB Travis Powers who bolted for the NFL a year early after starting for his first 3 years.
    The D-line saw SR Jeff Dougherty return, despite being picked to be a 1st round draft pick. On the endsare 2 SOs who both saw a ton of PT last season.
    The LBing corps has always been the strength of a coach Jello defense, but with the departure of 2/4 starters, some new guys will have to step up early. Luckily they'll be surrounded by 4 year starters OLB Benjamin Bailey (1 of 2 first team AAs for ASU last year) and MLB Mike Griffin.
    The secondary was hardest hit with the loss of Hayes and Lambert, but ASU was deep here so the names may change, but the level of play shouldn't.

Big Legs Dominate the Special Teams
    K Pierre Mason is back for his SR season after an amazing JR year. He made 16/17 last year (his only miss was from 57 yards) and, just as importantly, he has boomed 253 kickoffs for touchbacks during his career. The ASU defense always plays very well, but it definitely helps when the offense always starts on the 20 yard line.
    P Justin Boyd led the Pac12 (and possibly the nation) in both avg yards and net avg yards. He does a terrific job of kicking coffin corner punts and, like Mason's kickoffs, not letting the other team return it.
    Kick returns is the 1 question mark for the ASU special teams. With last year's returners now the #1 and #2 HBs, coach Jello has to find someone new to return for the Devils. He'll have to play it by ear to see what he can come up with.

What To Expect?
    Starting a FR QB is always a scary proposition, but luckily the Devils have a SR to fall back on if things get rough. There are other areas of the team where youth could be an issue. ASU will also get more competition for a divisional title this year with a new coach taking over the Trojans, but as always, a conference championship is the team's goal.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Stanford Cardinal
    Offense: Pretty good looking offense as everyone progressed very well. Scott will be returning as the starting QB and I should see a great year out of him with 97 THA. His backup Cody Morris, fresh off his redshirt year, comes in with 94 THP and 90 THA, so I am not worried at all if Scott fails. The HB position is something I believe I lack in this year because Stewart has not panned out as hoped and we don't have much depth. Everything else looks great. ​
    Defense: The D Line looks strong and so does the secondary. Our soft spots looks to be the LB Core but after what Davis showed me last season, ratings do not matter. I look to Davis and Dawson to lead the defense this season and get us out of our defensive funk. ​
    Prediction: Kind of tired of losing in the Pac-12 CCG lol. But somehow I believe I will end up there again unless UofCWildcat can back up his shit talk and defeat jello1717. I see no worse than 9-3 and no better than 10-2. ​

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I don't think i shit talk that much...

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

UofCWildcat, you missed the most important part about this statement. What he's saying is that if he gets to play you in the CCG, he's gonna win. He sees you to be as big of an easy win as the rest of the OD.

• Like Like x 1
  8. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

o_O oh my i see it now. YOU BOTH ARE ASSES!

• Like Like x 1
  9. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Ole Miss
    images.jpg
    Offense
    Ole Miss loses all everything RB Kennard Todd and four year starter Brain Simpson at QB. We return all the big boys up front and will need them to play huge. Fr QB Jason Moody will take over the signal calling with SR Mike Gordon finally getting a chance to run the rock. This could be an interesting year as Ole Miss might air it out a bit more are the WR's are the strenght lead by Jr AA Derrick Weisbecker. Should be an interesting year on this side of the ball.
    Defense
    This will hopefully be the strength of the program this year. Lead by MLB Mike Butler, DE James Lott, and FS Brandon Pierce the defense is loaded with play makers all over the field. It will need to have a monster year and hold the other teams Offense in check until the Ole Miss O finds its identity.
    The Outlook
    Ole Miss is coming off what most see as a great season but in coach Edge's eyes it wasn't. The CCG and bowl game didn't play out the way the coach would have liked. Coming in this season very highly ranked the coach knows it could be hard to live up to. Just have to take it a game at a time and hope to get back to the CCG.

10. Darkwing

Booooo! If he beats me I'll be very upset

11. Darkwing

Didn't get the embedding done. But if you guys want to check out my team preview the link is in my 2nd post here....

12. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I'll get him coached up. I'm stuck like jello1717 my impact player is a QB I don't like.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

[​IMG]
    2018 Georgia Bulldogs Season Preview
    Offense

QB Casey Gutierrez will lead this unit in his 3rd year under center. He has a cannon and has improved his accuracy greatly, but will have to find another go-to WR as his favorite target Rodney Lewis left for the NFL. WR Charles Montgomery will have to step up after playing in the slot the last 2 years. After him the Bulldogs have some upperclassmen WRs that have great hands but no speed. They could be challenged by the underclassmen who are very fast, but haven't perfected their pass catching skills. TE Adrian Small had a breakout season last year and could see a lot of targets with the question marks at the other receiving spots.

With the passing game most likely needing a few games to figure themselves out, the running game will be as strong as ever in Athens. The offensive line returns 3 starters and all 5 starters are rated 91 or better. They will block for HB Brad Knox who is a physical monster at 6'2" 249 lbs with enough speed to take any run to the house. He will get a lot of touches in the run game as he is backed up by a FR(RS) and a true FR.

Defense

The defense is solid once again, and it has a chance to be one of the best as the secondary has really improved in talent and depth. The leaders of this group will be the defensive line. The coaching staff has plans to rotate in 6 different linemen on a regular basis to utilize their different strengths. In the LB group will be strong and fast with OLB Cory Smith as a huge playmaker with his 99 hit power. MLBs Joesph Quinn and Erik Mitchell will be solid up the middle in the 3-4 look.

The secondary will have to replace the loss of both safeties and their #1 CB. Thankfully their replacements will be just as good, if not better than the guys last year. FS Brandon Wilson and SS Mike Cooper are ready to step in to cover the back half while CB Ryan Avery is the highest rated player on the defense at 96 overall. He should be a shutdown corner a leader for the defense this year.

Outlook

This team should play for a conference championship and a National Title. It's a lot of pressure to put on the team but with the talent this group has, they should win every game they get to play. Two road games to start the year, but then 7 of the next 10 will be Between the Hedges where the Bulldogs have won 34 in a row, tops in the nation by a landslide.