2019/2020 Top 10 Free Agents

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 6, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I thought I would take a look at the top free agents, and a projection as to where they end up. Although the class isn't very deep, there are some standout guys who will come at a premium but can make any team a contender.

[​IMG]

3B Evan Longoria

Longoria is very injury prone and since 2010 he has only had more than 500 ABs twice. When healthy he is a dangerous hitter and an on base machine. Last year he put up an OBP of .390 and should put up close to that this year. He also plays gold glove caliber defense at 3B. He is a huge risk but will go somewhere and probably sign at over $15 million

Projection: New York Yankees. The Yankees have nearly $100 million to spend and no one to play 3B. Longoria ends up a Yankee this year.

[​IMG]

CL Jordan Walden

It's no secret that a lot of the teams need bullpen help, and Walden is the best bullpen arm available. There is no way he signs for anywhere near what his demands are. I expect him to sign a deal around the $18 million per year range.

Projection: Colorado Rockies. The Rockies have a ton of payroll room and are expected to throw a lot of money at Walden. This shores up a very, very bad bullpen from last year.

[​IMG]

SP Johnny Cueto

Cueto is one of the best pitchers on the market, but he is also a compensation elligible signing. I would expect a team who is "all in" to sign Cueto, draft pick be damned. Unfortunately, with the value of draft picks combined with his asking price in the range of $17 million per year, this won't happen.

Projection: Cincinnati Reds. The only team who won't lose a draft pick for signing Cueto ends up getting him back at a discount.

[​IMG]

SP Justin Verlander

The other legitimate "Ace" on the Market, Verlander has the same downside to Cueto. Compensation and an asking price of around $18 million. I just cannot see someone throwing a draft pick away and this much money at a 36 year old pitcher.

Projection: Detroit Tigers. Verlander retires as a Tiger and everyone is happy.

[​IMG]

SP Zack Greinke

At 36 years old, Grienke continues to pitch well and hold onto his ratings. There is a huge risk though in adding a guy for this kind of money, and few teams can afford to absorb or even buy out the tail end of a deal.

Projection: New York Yankees. Disposable income is a good thing to have right briosu99

[​IMG]

CF Matt Kemp

36 year old Matt Kemp is at the tail end of his career, and all scouts agree that he is "wrecked". His injury history has been a major concern for LAD, and now he is asking for a long term deal in the range of $18 million. No thanks.

Projection: Unsigned

[​IMG]

MR Houston Street

At 36 years old Street shows no signs of slowing down. Like mentioned above, demand for relievers is high and someone is going to overpay for him. I see a trend here...

Projection: Colorado. Their biggest weakness gets a whole lot better as they add a second great arm for the pen.

[​IMG]

3B Sean Rodriguez

Rodriguez is a very underrated player who has not performed well at all. He plays all the infield positions very well, has excellent patience and some power. He also has very favorable contract demands, and no injury history.

Projection: Seattle. Seattle has a lot of money to burn, but knowing their history of only overspending on pitchers, Rodriguez' contract demands and skillset are a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

DH Dayan Viciedo

One of the best power hitters available, Viciedo does not have the defensive ability to stick in the NL, so that leaves an AL team. His demands are pretty high and he has some injury trouble. But his bat is too much to pass up.

Projection: Oakland. The A's need some offense, and a power hitting righty fits with their park dimensions. They have some money to burn, and I feel this is the surprise signing for Oakland.

[​IMG]

MR AL Alburquerque

THe final close on the books will probably not go to Colorado as the other two premier pitchers have. His demands are good, and he is in his lower 30's. He does have some injury trouble, but guys will pass on that to add a good BP arm.

Projection: Texas. They need a serious upgrade in the pen, and Al is the guy.

• Like Like x 11
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Nice work... Don't be shocked to see the Crew negotiating with a few of these guys... Red ass is a hell of a motivator.

3. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Should be interesting to see where some of these guys end up. The Yankees are certainly looking to add a few players, I'll leave it at that.

4. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    Went after both and got neither. :(

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

3B Evan Longoria

Projection: New York Yankees. The Yankees have nearly $100 million to spend and no one to play 3B. Longoria ends up a Yankee this year.
    Landed: Houston Astros

[​IMG]

CL Jordan Walden

Projection: Colorado Rockies. The Rockies have a ton of payroll room and are expected to throw a lot of money at Walden. This shores up a very, very bad bullpen from last year.
    Landed: Cincinnati Reds

[​IMG]

SP Zack Greinke

Projection: New York Yankees. Disposable income is a good thing to have right briosu99
    Landed: Cincinnati Reds

[​IMG]

MR Houston Street

Projection: Colorado. Their biggest weakness gets a whole lot better as they add a second great arm for the pen.
    Landed: Atlanta Braves

• Like Like x 1
  6. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Longo + Sandoval + Davidson, Maybe I can actually win the West this year.

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

it doesnt take all of that to win the west....