2019 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Feb 27, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Time to hear about your team and the outlook for this season.

1. What additions are you excited about this year?

2. Any weaknesses you really wish you'd have addressed?

3. Any prospects looking to debut this year?

4. What is the strength of your ballclub this year?

5. Who is the face of your team?

6. Who wins your division? And how do you like your chances?

2. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Time to hear about your team and the outlook for this season.

None

None

Augusto Martinez is having his real debut the last was a stupid ass decision by me. Looking to also call up Ocampo and possibly Scarlett by June 1st

4. What is the strength of your ball club this year?

Bullpen as usuall for me. Only thing i can consistently do well

Augusto Martinez (the new Pedro Martinez)

Detroit will.......... I don't like my chances i was 54-108 last year

3. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

Cincinnati Reds Media Day

I am really excited about the addition of OF Nick Williams. He is very similar to our current LF Kyle Waldrop, who has enjoyed a ton of success as a Red. Williams is one of those guys that wont get the notoriety, but he will put up solid numbers and help the Reds continue to win.
    I am also excited about the addition of SP Alex White. We traded Mat Latos in order to get Nick Williams, so there was a need in the rotation and White should be able to produce similarly to Latos this year at a fraction of the cost.

I really like our team again this year. I was able to add some pitching depth in the final stages of Free Agency that I thought may end up being a problem. That said, I really feel we found some great role players that should fit into our team.

We have some very solid guys making their way through the system. I feel our biggest contributors are still another year away. Guys like OF Alfredo Lopez, OF Francisco Reyes, 1B Jose Navarro are all getting there, but it doesn't look like this will be the year.

The strength of this team, as it has been since I've taken over is pitching and defense. Particularly the front end of the rotation and the back end of the bullpen. Defensively the strengths are up the middle and also great reserves that can play multiple positions well.

I think the faces of the team are SP Mark Appel and SS Billy Hamilton. I have so many solid guys though that don't get a lot of recognition.

Until someone knocks us off I think I have to say the Reds will take the division. You have to think the Brewers will have a say in the division race again, and the emergence of LF Jason Parrish is astonishing. The guy spent last year in A-ball as a 50/35/40 talent and has shot up to 75/45/55. I am thinking this guy needs to be tested for roids because that improvement doesn't seem normal. Concerns that his top 3 SPs are all left handed are real.

The Cardinals gave Liam Hendriks a lot of money - that's all I got for them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

The entire team is different this year, the only returning starters are SS Calixte, DH Scotty Clay, RF Paco Luna and CL Bill Rigney. Other than that, the entire active roster is new. Hopefully got rid of the losing atmosphere in KC and in with the good.

The SP rotation seems like a weakness now and i wish i could have gotten a few better starters but the best is yet to come and hopefully everything works out fine.

Maybe CL Matt Adams will come up in July or so if we are competing, if not hes staying in the minors. Almost everything is maxed out for him except his control, which is
    very important.

Defense. Last year, we couldnt hit, couldnt pitch, and couldnt field a ball. This year, we are all about fielding and double plays. We'll play small ball and pray for the extra base hits but we are all about defense from this point on.

There is no face just yet, but i would say Scotty Clay because he is the only hitter we have. If he struggles, the team will struggle.

Got a feeling it will be Detroit, even though i hope to compete i dont see KC going from 61 wins to a playoff berth. If we do, then im taking ryalaman 's title as self proclaimed OOTP God ;)
    I plan on finishing 3rd behind the Twins and Tigers.

• Like Like x 3
  5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Los Angles Dodgers Media Day

• SP Brian Matusz, SP Clay Buchholz, MR Kenneth Toves, and MR Bobby Parnell. Pitching was going to be the first thing I worked on because of how weak it was last season. Even though Matusz and Buchholz are older they are definitely a huge upgrade over Rubby de la Rosa and John Ely. With having a very young closer starting this season I wanted to bring some solid MR pitchers in to help out. After resigning Justin De Fratus I was able to reel in Yao-Lin Wang from Free Agency but I still felt I needed more. Thankfully Ken Welsch and I were able to iron out a trade to give me some great depth and him a young prospect. Toves and Parnell worked well in Minnesota and hopefully they do the same in Los Angles.
    • I was able to bring in some pitchers but my RF and SS is still a weakness. RF Rymer Liriano is definitely a short term solution but hopefully SS John Guisto/Ken Spell step it up a notch.

• 1B Matthew Bass and CL Harry Johnston. Bass ripped through the minors last year and got promoted twice (A -> AAA -> ML) last year. His ability to hit the ball is phenomenal but he still lacks the defensive skills to make him that 'elite' player. Johnston on the other hand is still very much green. After not resigning our CL we felt like Johnston was our best option.He has some wicked movement but really hurts him is his control. If he can hit his spots consistently he will put up some respectable numbers but if not he may be replaced.

• I feel like it will be our pitching staff and our defensive play in the OF
    • 3B Mel Lovelass. Lovelass is by far our best player and he will be for some time.
    • The Arizona Diamondbacks. The talent they already have plus the moves they have made puts them in the driver seat. The Dodgers will be competitive and hopefully finish around .500 :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Tyler Matzek adds a left handed starting pitcher. Dykstra comes in to take over at first base.

Maybe a better middle infielder or find a backup catcher when FA prices go down.

Don't think there are any. But the injury bug seems to hit a lot and thus prospects get called up before they are ready.

Bullpen and outfield.

I'd say the heel is Christian Yelich. Everybody hates that guy for being the best.

Atlanta most likely. Probably fighting for a wild card spot and hopefully better than the 77 wins predicted.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I didn't really add anyone major to the roster. The big newcomers are probably Yu Darvish and maybe MR Cody Gearrin. Yu sucks, but Gearrin was a monster with the Braves last year. We hope to throw him into some high leverage roles immediately and hope he can fix the leaky bullpen we've had.

SP I guess. I lost 2 of the top guys who were FAs (Buchholz and Hendriks) and I replaced them with Yu Darvish and Chris Patterson/Mario Gonzalez. It's not exactly as strong as last year's rotation.

I think we could see 2B Raul Barnett and SP Takechi Ogawa this year. Barnett is a monster, power hitting 2B who is very very close to being ML ready while Ogawa is less than a year removed from being the team's first round pick and is possibly already ready for the majors skill wise, we'd just like to see more production out of him in AA and higher before bringing him up.

As usual, I score runs. Lots of them. My OF has 2 legitimate MVP candidates (when healthy), my 1B is a favorite for the HR crown, and my young 3B is the best baserunner in baseball... and his power swing is so very close to being fully developed.

Future HOFer/current reigning MVP Dave Moore. The 45+ HRs a year, the .400+ OBP, and the GG defense are all kinda nice to have.

I win the division. Toronto may be more talented on paper, but they're also the Blue Jays. They will find a way to screw things up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

I decided this year to not go out and overspend on free agents. I've got plenty of salary coming off the books the next few years. I wanted to try to continue to find young prospects to bring along. I'm hoping Andry Ubiera and Josh Burris can come in via the Rule 5 draft and help my bullpen.

I'm still pretty weak at first base and right field. After my top two starting pitchers my talent falls off pretty quickly.

I'm hoping that Pir Hassani can play up to my expecations in Triple A and end up in The Show this year.

Hopefully defense. We were terrible hitting and pitching last year and without much change on the roster I can't imagine hitting is going to be our strength. We have decent pitching, I've tried to put a good fielding team behind them.

I know everyone expects Sixto Bruno or José González here, but J.P. Arencibia is the man for the Cubs at this point.

I think its hard to bet against the Reds, no one else in the division has enough pitching to compete, in my opinion. If we go .500 I would be shocked, but we are looking toward the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

[​IMG] 2019 Arizona Diamond Backs [​IMG]
    Back to Back N.L. West Division Champs (105-57)
    Back to Back #1 Attendance in Major League Baseball (4,194,963)
    N.L. M.V.P. (3B Conrad Tomshaw) .305/.402/.582 39 HR's 104 RBI's
    N.L. Manager of the Year (Senior Technicalipee)
    School yard bullies and just better at everything than all you other turds.

What additions are you excited about this year?

Hmmm, this is a tough one. We like the addition's of Paul Goldshmidt and Jerry Sands and the power they bring against left handed pitching. Speaking of pitching we were able to add top end starter Matt Latos from the Cincinnatti Reds in a deal for young Nick Williams and perennial Cy Young candidate Matt Moore in a multi-player deal with the Rays. Moore is coming off a sub par 4.9 WAR season but we are hoping we can hide him between our three 5+ WAR starters Joseph Bolden, Tyler Skaggs and Latos with underrated and consistent veteran Jacob Turner taking up the 5 spot.​
    Any weakness you wish you would have adressed?
    Our main weakness was that despite having one of the top offenses in the league we were not consistent enough against left handed pitchinga and we needed to add another top end arm to our rotation both of which were adressed. We think our team is pretty solid but may need to look for a better arm for end of the game situations if Josh Lindblom and Eury De LaRosa let their post season struggles continue into the season.​
    Any prospects looking to debut this year?
    Juan Chavez will be making his full time debut in the league after a September call up last season earned him a spot on the playoff roster. In 10 postseason games Chavez batted .400 with 14 H's, 6 2B's, 1 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI's and 8 R's scored. Also look for Robinson Rodriguez to get a chance if one of our bullpen arms faulter, Robinson struck out 50 batters in 34.1 innings in AAA last season and has his 100 MPH heater under control enough to produce in the majors.​
    What is the strength of your ballclub this year?
    It's hard to say. Our pitching was top 5 in the league last year, our defense was top 5 in the league last year, and our offense was top 5 in the league last year. We've improved on all 3 this offseason except defense where we will take a drop off at short stop as Heath Fletcher moves to second base to make way for the offensive minded Ben Donnelly. Some may say the strength of our team is the weakness of the teams in our division, but don't kill the messenger. ​
    Who is the face of your team?
    Eduardo Lozano, the most productive 1B in the league and 2017 N.L. Rookie of the Year who hit .349/.397/.647 last year in only 289 at bats was the face of our club but then he died. After a broken knee cap late in the season ended his year he suffered two two month set backs in the offseason and his career looks to be over. So how can a dead man be the face of our team you ask? It's quite simple, despite year after year of brutal injuries to our best players we continue to plug in replacements and keep on chugging just going to show that there is no one face to our team.​
    Who wins your division and how do you like your chances?
    Arizona Diamond Backs win the West and should be favorites to represent the National League in the World Series. This is the part where I talk about how crappy the other teams in the division are but I won't waste my time tagging teams without a winning record.​

• Like Like x 3
  10. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

San Francisco Giants

Due to a 23% drop in attendance last season, management was not able to spend much in the offseason. It also led to the trade of the former face of the franchise, 3B Pablo Sandoval. In return for Sandoval, the Giants received SP Jarred Cozart and 1B Keon Barnum from the Astros.

Management wanted to add a little more strength in the starting pitching, and the team needs some help in CF and RF.

There are quite a few prospects that could make the jump this season, depending on how the first couple months of the season go. LF Jason Smith, MR Daniel Jackson, MR Charles Sanchez, SP Eduardo Pimentel, 3B Edgardo Avila, and 2B Alexandre Drouet could all see playing time this season.

The bullpen is definitely the strength of the team. Brian Wilson anchors a group that is typically in the top 5 in the NL in ERA every year.

The Giants still have C Buster Posey, SP Tim Lincecum, SP Madison Bumgarner, RP Jeremy Affeldt, and CL Brian Wilson who have played for the team every season so far.

Arizona probably wins it this season. It will take quite a few huge performances for the Giants to be competitive. However, the team should be sitting on a bunch of cash next season to pursue some talent in free agency.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PAgamer07

goldenglove2 good to see Appel and Hamilton both developed well.

Gngsta4Lyphe You guess scotty clay? Dude is the first player I think of when I think of KC. It used to be Odirizzi (#blameraj)

sawemoff Mel Lovelass is awesome. Hope he does well in LA.

JohnnyClutch Nice signing on Dykstra. Very underrated, but he wanted half what he signed with you for to stay in Pittsburgh :(

ryalaman disappointed in your inability to shore up that pen. It cost you last year.

Shaun Mason Good to see Hassani didnt disappoint during his trip through the minors. Hope he turns into a good one. And yeah... thought for sure Sixto would be the face of the Scrubs

Colemanchu That was pretty good stuff. Was expecting moore disrespect towards the NL West, but at least we got something.

abolishthefed Tough loss to Lincecum in Spring Training. Although you dominated that division for so long... someone needs to shut Cole up. Maybe HAL9100 can

• Like Like x 1
  12. PAgamer07

We really didn't have much money to spend this offseason. Eff You Nutting. We did sign SP Austin Hyatt to a 3 year deal at relatively low cost. He adds some depth to our rotation which eagerly awaits Martinez and Silva. We also added a platoon bat in 1B Joe Mahoney in a trade with ryalaman

Well we didnt add any arms to our pen. NeuroticTruth got all of the good ones in Free Agency. We also could have added a RF, but until Santiago Martinez is ready, Ozzie Lewis will hold down that position for awhile. Lewis was also picked up from Baltimore and is a good bat in a pinch and plays solid defense.

We really want to see Santiago Martinez bust out, and if he performs in AAA, we may see him by July. We will also be closely watching Ivan Martinez and Alfredo Silva and if we are in the race and they are pitching well, we may call them up as well.

Defense is the biggest strength. Unfortunately we don't have many big bats outside of Brock Holt and Pablo Morales. And our current rotation and bullpen are mediocre at best. We're just biding our time...

2B Brock Holt. He should get his 1000th hit last year, and before long will start appearing on Pirates career leader boards. Until another 2B starts putting up numbers like his, he is still the best 2B in the game.

Cincinnati continues to be the best team in our division and with some very good young players contributing, I dont see them slowing down. Milwaukee is close, but they need more pitching. I feel we finish 3rd in the division this year ahead of Chicago and St. Louis. Last year we were very unlucky and our bullpen was a big reason. We kept the majority of our relievers from last year, and I think with another year of growth they will be solid.

• Like Like x 1
  13. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

We signed Joe Mauer and Josh Sale on somewhat of a whim. I think we surprised some by getting Mauer early in free agency. He won't play catcher for us unless something happens with injuries. He will DH and play ever so often at 3B. Sale was a last day signing in FA, now I just have to figure out where to play him. Right now it looks like Lumsd will move to RF to make room for Sale in LF with Mason Williams and the youngster Sandoval splitting time in CF.

I would have liked to get one of the better SP available in FA, but we whiffed on them and had to settle for 3rd or 4th tier guys. They were really just injury insurance, I don't want to repeat what happened last year where we ran out of healthy arms late in the season and faded out of the WC race. We'll see what happens just going with the guys we had last season.

Our top prospect SP Wes Norris was due to be called up last year but he went down with a season ending injury before I could call him up. He is due back in May or June, odds are good he will be in the majors before the end of the season since he is ready barring any setbacks.

I think we are solid across the board but I really worry about our infielder depth. If someone gets hurt or underperforms, I really don't have anyone else to step in, especially at the corners.

I'm going to go with Kershaw or Justin Lumsd, although the fans sure loved the Mauer signing.

I'm going to go with the Jays, with the Orioles, Rays, and ourselves fighting for wildcard spots. The AL east is killer, I'd feel good about our chances in just about any other division, but we could easily finish last in the East with a winning record.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

Clay didnt live up to expectation, barely hit anything last year.

15. PAgamer07

Trade him to Pittsburgh.

16. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

We made only minor additions, so we aren't excited about any of them.

Starting pitching. We talked with many teams during the Winter Meetings, but deals just couldn't be reached.

Markus Mason take 2. He started last year and we decided he just wasn't ready so we're hoping another opening day roster spot chance will do the trick.

Our outfield. Rico, Mason, and Jones seem to be ready to go.

Well the media guide has a picture of Max Scherzer, but in reality its probably Markus Mason. He is who our fanbase is most focused on.

Tigers will take it again. I don't like our chances at all. I'm thinking we're more likely to lose 90 games than we are making the playoffs.

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

You could lose 90 games AND make the playoffs in that division.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

[​IMG]
    1. What additions are you excited about this year? No Additions as we are trying to clean up this mess here and get out of these financial difficulties

2. Any weaknesses you really wish you'd have addressed? Pitching, starters and bullpen are pretty weak

3. Any prospects looking to debut this year? Catcher Kelvin Pearce is going to probably start the year in AAA but im sure he'll be called up probably June 1st at the latest

4. What is the strength of your ballclub this year? Speed, inherited a really quick team if we could just get on base more to utilize the speed

5. Who is the face of your team? Josh Hamilton, hes turning 38 this year and would really like him and his 21 million dollar salary to retire at the end of this season, but he did have a pretty good year last season

6. Who wins your division? And how do you like your chances? Seattle probably wins the division, and id like to just finish above .500

19. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I think my pen will be fine this year. I signed the best bullpen arm in FA and picked up a few others with some history of success. The main thing I'm still lacking is a good LH bullpen arm. I had one, but I had to trade it to the Astros to try to find a solution to the #5 spot in my rotation.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I think I jinxed my pitchers, they got shelled in Spring Training. Team ERA over 5.50.

21. PAgamer07

Check their FIP and BABIP. That gives a good representation if they are actually struggling or if the defense behind them is struggling. Its always difficult to read too much into spring stats though too.

22. PAgamer07

It's time for you to tank Justin...

Youve got two power house teams in Seattle and Houston in your division. You may have to just hunker down and stockpile talent until they start trailing off.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'm waiting to see how they do in real games. My minors are a mess. Losing a bunch of them because I didn't resign them really fucked up my minors.:)

24. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

- Terrance Gore, Orlando Castro, Jesus Sucre, Johnathan Torres, and the handful of MRs that I added in FA. The team is much improved this season over last, especially our bullpen and OF. The bullpen issue was a big focal point for us as we lost a lot of games in late innings. Our outfield is much improved and hopefully it pays off in the runs category. One of my biggest issues last season was our hitting (or lack there of), so hopefully the additions of Gore and Castro help spark the lineup. Torres also gives us a legitimate #1 pitcher, something we lacked last season. It also takes the pressure of Mike Smith to carry the load.

- Were still missing the pure power hitting rightie in the lineup. While we do play in Petco, it would still be nice to have atleast one guy that can produce some power for us consistently.

- I was hoping to be debuting Rivers this year but his low average in spring training coupled with his injury pretty much relegates him back to AAA. He still needs to develop his contact a bit more before he'll be ready for the bigs.

- At this point our strength has to be our pitching staff. While our lineup is much improved, it still needs to prove itself before I can consider it a strength.

- At this point it would have to be Rob Ames. He's by far our best player.

- The favorite has to be Arizona. They're by far the best team in the NL and they made some great moves in the offseason to bolster their chances. Easily the early favorite in the NL for a World Series bid. As far as our chances this season, if we can scratch and claw our way to a .500 record I think we may have an outside shot at a wild card birth, but in reality thats probably very unlikely. If we finish in the high 70's in wins, I would consider this season a success.

• Like Like x 2
  25. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    The Rockies didn't have much room for FAs, but came away with 2 players that they think will contribute really well. First, Justin Morneau is making a comeback after 2 years of being without a team. He's up to 37 years old now but the ratings are still there and he batted .450 in Spring Training. The next player is Tony Wolters and the Rockies are excited to see what this 26 year old can do. Wolters spent the last 4 years as a SS for the Pirates and put in quietly good numbers. His VORP over the last 3 seasons were 27.0, 41.7, and 26.7. We ended up moving him to 3B though as that is the greater need and he's better defensively there.
    Our pitching staff really needs some work. We just didn't have the budget to address this in the offseason. Fortunately, we have a few pitchers on the horizon that are close to MLB ready so it may not have been truly necessary to address this. We have a few other question marks, but none as big as this.​
    There are 3 prospects that will debut in the starting lineup of the of the opening roster for the Rockies.​
    SP Manuel Salinas has really risen quickly through the ranks. His strong season last year in the minors, solid performance in Spring Training, and the injury to Peter Tago, have made it impossible to not give him a shot. The real surprise about Salinas is that he's also basically an MLB ready OF as well(check his ratings on OOTP). So watch out for him when he bats this year as he is not an easy out.​
    CF Alfred Ricaba will be taking over in CF for Rafael Ortega and batting lead off. We really like what Ricaba offers and have been happy with his performance in the minors. He's got the bat and defense to be a very good player in the majors.​
    SS Jose Cervantes is a bit of a surprise and hasn't really been particularly impressive in the minors. However, he was given a shot in Spring Training and out performed the returning starter Jake Lemmerman. With Cervantes' ratings and already being 26 years old, it had gotten to the point where we didn't want to wait too long if he could make an immediate impact, so he's getting his shot.​
    Definitely our outfield. LF Tyler Massey was #2 for the NL MVP last season, RF Luis Perez won the NL ROTY last season, and CF Alfred Ricaba is a promising young player that should fit in well with those two.​
    Tyler Massey is the face of our team. Back to back All Star, #2 for the NL MVP, batted .368 in Spring Training, and is just 29 years old and under team control for 3 more seasons.​
    The Diamondbacks are the clear frontrunners. They've only improved from last season where they dominated the NL West and will be tough to overcome. For the Rockies, if we can get a good performance out of our pitching staff, then we could surprise. Our offense and defense will be good so our season will depend on the performance of the pitching staff.​

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 3