2019 Round 1 Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Mar 9, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Now that Round 1 of the 2019 Amateur Draft is over, time to take a look at my own assessment of the picks. I am sure OOTP will prove me wrong (y)

[​IMG]

SP Marcus "Spooks" Romero

It's no secret the White Sox have been one of the most maligned franchises in the Dugout's short history. With poor player management and development, questionable trades, and just ineptitude both on and off the field, they need to come up with a plan and stick to it.

soxandgators is hoping to address these woes with the #1 overall pick in the 2019 draft in SP "Spooks" Romero. Is this the most offensive nickname in The Dugout? Perhaps... but "Spooks" has the potential to be a great player.

He has some of the highest potential ratings we have seen for a SP in the draft. Not only does he strike guys out, but all of his pitches have great movement. He keeps the ball down in the zone, highlighted by the potential for one of the best sinkers in the game. Unfortunately... he is only 17 years old. An awful, awful lot can happen in that period of time. He can turn to shit, or he can turn into an All-Star in which at this very young age show him to be. Graded purely on potential and draft position, this would be an easy A+. But High Schoolers this high in the draft and without that extra "drive" scare me to death.

Overall Grade: B+

[​IMG]

SP Randall Walker

After winning the first ever World Series in The Dugout, the Royals have been a complete mess. Little to no leadership outside of the CPU throughout the organization, and the inability of whoever was running to the team to sign draft picks, left this team a bit of a mess.

Brandon S. is here to change that, and so far he is on the right path. Since taking over, he has gone 69-84 (.451) and is currently in 1st place in the AL Central. A complete reshaping of the roster (which came with his own questionable moves) and a little bit of luck have been the difference.

Randall Walker is a pretty big drop off from Romero. And it is obvious the Royals drafted on need. Yes they add a SP to the system, but at what price? There were better players available and once again, a huge risk taking a high school player this early in the draft. The good news? Walker is listed as durable, and already has a high work ethic. Does this gaurantee success through the minors? Of course not, but there is less risk with this pick, just not a player worth going #2.

Overall Grade: B

[​IMG]

SP Greg "Cracker" Ludlow

sawemoff inherited a great franchise which was poorly run. Missed exports, poor moves, not signing draft picks.. what a mess. And boy did this market size and fan loyalty take a hit. Now he is left to pick up the pieces and is doing an admirable job (62-80).

His pick this year was the second most offensive nickname... "Cracker". Yes his in game photo has been changed to a white dude... Anyhow, "Cracker" is a pretty solid pick at #3. Higher potentials than the guy who went #2, better pitches, and really just better overall than Walker. He's also a lefy. Unfortunatley... he is another high school pitcher, but he does have the drive to succeed. At #3, I like this pick a bit better than the last.

[​IMG]

SP Ron Fellhaue

Shaun Mason is now running the "Lovable Losers". Or the "Scrubs" as us White Sox and Pirates fans call them... And boy does he have some work to do. This organization although ranked #9, is not very deep. I honestly can't remember who ran this team other than the CPU, but this is one of the toughest gigs in baseball. Thankfully the fans are loyal and his market size and interest are still pretty high.

With the #4 overall pick, he went SP as did the previous 3 GM's. Of all 3 before him, and the one immediately after... this is my least favorite. Especially with Bryant and Longerhan still in the pool. Where do I start with this one?

Let's start with the good. His stuff is electric highlighted by a 99 MPH fastball that rates as a 70. He has an excellent "drive" and will work really hard to prove this grade wrong. Unfortunately in this scouts humble opinion, there is not much else to like. His stamina, GB rate, other pitches and CON and MOV are both just above average. And he is a righty... This pick is one of my least favorites so far for a multitude of reasons.

Overall Grade: C

[​IMG]

SP John "Smiling Stan" Bryant

JFace907 has been the unluckiest GM on the planet. I think he has finally embraced the rebuild, but really needs to be patient and let his guys develop. Last year's pick was dubbed "The Most Sure Thing". That hasn't worked out too well, and so far Jared Wallace hasn't lived up to the hype.

This year (for the first time I can remember) Justin drafted a SP in the 1st round. Certainly a change in philosophy for him and I agree that he should address his rotation 1st. Bryant is an interesting player... his potentials are head and shoulders better than a few guys picked ahead of him. He has excellent intangibles and a 70%+ GB rate.

The problem? His stamina. He only has a 3 on the 1-10 scale and I have to wonder how that translates in the rotation. This is a strange player and one I will be very interested in watching. Can "Smiling Stan" go late into ball games? Can he even make it through the minors? On potentials alone, I have to grade him higher than the player ahead of him. But not much..

Overall Grade: C+

• Like Like x 3
  2. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

C Wayne Barnes

NeuroticTruth has been with the Padres for 6 seasons now and has struggled in every one of them. The Padres job is another difficult one and this one looks like it may take a bit longer to turn around. His minor league system is currently ranked in the middle of the pack I am not sure if this team is trying to win, trying to rebuild, or just constantly retooling.

In any event... this was our first hitter of the draft. Yes at #6. And this is primarily what he is. A pure hitter. A very odd pick for a National League team. He is already 22 so there will be little to no change in his defensive ratings. He can't play 1st or really be effective behind the plate. And in the NL he can't DH. But he can hit. Above average hitting abilities across the board, with ++ Power. He also adds a solid amount of speed to his arsenal.

I want to like this pick. Honest. And I feel my grades aren't the best for everyone. I just don't understand this pick in the NL. On hitting and draft position alone, this would be an A or an A+

Overall Grade: B-

[​IMG]

SP Charlie "Hit Squad" Rolston

Confucius Rex has been here several seasons as well, and has performed well enough. Unfortunately the Dylan brothers in the same division have been much better. He's also had a lot of bad luck and horrible injuries. This team is not as bad as it has played, and really.. just unlucky. As long as he keeps this quote from his namesake in his mind, he will be fine: "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop"

His first rounder this year is *shock* ANOTHER SP. I really like this pick. I know that he is primarily a glorified reliever but I see more than that. He has some of the best stamina in the draft, high potentials, high GB rate and excellent intangibles. On the downside... he really has only 2 legitimate pitches. His changeup is horribly underdeveloped. But here's the thing with a high schooler. Yes he has plenty of time to waste away. But he also has plenty of time to get better. I anticipate that changeup improving drastically as he works on his game. This late in the draft, I feel this pick is a steal.

3. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

1B William Madgouran

We are currently in the middle of our 5th straight losing season, and have fully embraced the rebuild. Our minor league system is deep and at this point we are having trouble finding places to play for guys who are ready (shameless trade block plug). The thing missing is a legitimate power threat.

With our 1st round pick, we addressed that need in a big way. Another scout says,"If I had the #1 pick, Id have taken Madgouran. Screw High School Pitchers." That's enough for me. The left handed hitter has a tremendous power stroke as well as one of the best patience in the draft. Defensively he is very solid for a first baseman and all of his intangibles are High. There is not a thing that I can find wrong with this guy.

Overall Grade: A+

[​IMG]

SP Ramon Ramos

HAL9100 is one of our newest members, but so far he has shown excellent knowledge of the game and is going to be a real threat in the NL. In fact, playing the Rockies now is no gauranteed win. He's in a very winnable division, and it's only a matter of time before the Rockies are back to prominence.

Their minor league system has a lot of holes, but one of the biggest is at SP. This was a great pick, and I like Ramos better than most pitchers in this draft. He is a lefty and has + stuff. Something needed in Coors. His intangibles are decent and of course he is a bit older than the other pitchers drafted so far. Like I said.. at #9, this is a very safe pick and a good choice.

Overall Grade: A-

[​IMG]

SP Carl "The Grey Eagle" O'lonergan

abolishthefed has been one of the most successful GMs in the dugout. He has 4 playoff appearances since taking over and his Giants have always been one of the best regular season teams until recently. When it came time for the playoffs though, they never really got very far and this has kept Doug hungry I am sure. It is now time to rebuild for the Giants, and this pick is the start of it.

"The Grey Eagle" is my favorite pitcher of this draft both due to position, the way the draft has played out, and of course his ratings. His potentials are all + and he throws an excellent cutter and forkball. High work ethic and an already well developed kid at age 21 and this guy should be a real stud. Excellent choice here.

Overall Grade: A

• Like Like x 2
  4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

You mean you couldn't find anything wrong with him besides the fact that he's a platoon bat at a position where his bat offers the least value? Barnes and Noles' pick were both better.

5. PAgamer07

First of all... These are my opinions. Feel free to disagree. In the many years I've done this, this is the highest grade I've given my own pick.

As for your comment, he's no more of a platoon bat than the catcher. And... I haven't even graded Noles pick.

6. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Sure he is, Barnes' ratings don't indicate any possible big platoon splits and Madgouran's do.

7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

If stamina is his only issue, i'll take it. Its gonna be funny when my kids make it to the bigs and i have a staff of relievers that can only throw 2 pitches with 9 and 10 stamina and a starter with a full arsenal with only 3 stamina.

8. PAgamer07

I honestly don't know how to grade him. I've not seen a prospect like him before

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

In regards to Spooks being the most offensive nickname we've had, you obviously missed Genocide. Other than that good stuff :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I really liked this prospect and was set that he would drop. That was before we knew a slew of pitchers would be taken in the first round.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

SP Mal "Warthog" Krause

DrunkenSoldier took over one of the most mismanaged franchises in the game. Horribly bloated contracts, a lack of any real talent and poor drafting and signings. The good news for him is that with this budget and market he can afford to make mistakes. This is one of the top revenue generators in the big leagues, and if he is smart, he can dominate the division.

"Warthog" was a bit of a reach in my opinion. Especially for The Ballpark at Arlington. I have a feeling his lack of movement and GB rates will hurt him. Yes he will get his share of K's with a 95 MPH heater and a devastating changeup, but he has a propensity to leave pitches up in the zone. At 22 years old he is already nicely developed and should be in the show within a couple of seasons. His intangibles are solid. I don't really like this pick with the talent that is still on the board.

[​IMG]

CF Shawn Schraeder

With their second pick in the draft, sawemoff made a great one. Schraeder is an excellent outfielder and just a few tools short of a 5 tool player. He is solid defensively, but does commit his share of errors. Solid baserunning and an excellent power hitter. His intangibles are all average and at 22 he is a bit underdeveloped. I still like the pick.

Overall Grade: A

[​IMG]

3B Luc Combes

KnightNoles has been with the league since his inception and unfortunately has been one of the most disappointing GMs. He does have 1 playoff appearance to show for his work, but has really mismanaged this team from a development and financial standpoint. His owner has been horribly displeased for years, and Nick is lucky to have a job.

With his 1st round pick, he grabbed probably the best pure hitter in the draft. When I looked at Combes the player I thought of was Wade Boggs. But with speed. Combes can hit anywhere from 1-3 in a lineup and is a switch hitter, and unless Nick ruins him this was a great pick.

Overall Grade: A+

[​IMG]

CL Jimmy Dillon

CPU Pick nothing to see here....

• Like Like x 3
  12. KnightNoles

Well if it wasn't for Saw, I would have overlooked Combes. Grey Eagle and Schraeder were top 2 on my board. Schraeder would have made either Soto or Strickland expendable and he reminds me a little bit of Howard Strickland.

Combes will hopefully progress at a decent pace with Zimmerman's contract being up after next year. He will have a good 2 years to develop, probably going to Single A Potomac and then AAA for one entire year. Hopefully he can bypass a Double AA stint but we shall see.

13. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

CL Jose Mercado

Drifterbub is one of our newest GM's and really doesn't have much of a history here. He has been an excellent manager so far and is getting the most out of a roster that has a lot of holes. Although there is still a lot of the season left to go, the Mets are currently in 1st place. They are in a 3-7 stretch, and hopefully he can get it turned around. One can only take so much Timpegoose.

For his inaugural pick in the Dugout, drifter went with a Closer. I've been pretty opinionated about taking relievers in the 1st round, especially early. I don't really agree with it very much, but I can understand the thought process. One of the biggest weaknesses in this organization (And really every organization) is good bullpen arms. They have always been hard to find both in the draft and through free agency, so it's certainly something that guys like to address. But looking at some of the guys taken after this pick, I don't like it.

As for the player himself, he is a pretty solid player. He has a diving fastball which he calls a sinker which tops out at 96 MPH giving him an extreme 78% GB rate. In addition, his curveball is top notch too. That is the extent of his arsenal and he has plus control to add to the ++ movement and stuff. Certainly a bit of an extreme GB rate at home, but one that will come in useful on the road. He has a solid work ethic and is only 20, so he has plenty of time to develop, but is not too underdeveloped. One of the best things in his favor is that high stamina. This guy can probably be his own setup man and easily go the 8th and the 9th inning. Skillset alone, Id give him a nice rating. It's just that it's a closer in the 1st round.

[​IMG]

RF Victor Guillen

Ken Welsch is one of our quietest GM's and is known as one of the most shrewd trading partners out there. He has run a very successful franchise and been very good drafting, developing and managing his finances. It's only a matter of time before he makes a deep playoff run.

As for this draft pick. He's a pretty well rounded RHB with an already well developed contact rating at 20 years old. He has plus power and speed and really the only weakness I see is that his defense has room to grow. His low work ethic worries me a bit for a 20 year old, and he needs to take things seriously. With his speed, and gap ability he should be a 40+ doubles guy easily and fits in well as a solid #2 hitter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PAgamer07

Combes was one of the first guys I looked at, but I am deep at 3B already. He's a really good player and I honestly cant think of anyone in history with his pure hitting ability and speed that played third base. He's really got the skillset of a CF or MI.

15. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

I never took into consideration the difference between HS players and College players. Looking back, it was very risky. However, you live and you learn but when you pick top 5 you will always be second guessed.

16. PAgamer07

I mean.. there are a lot of HS players that turn out well. There are probably the same amount of busts. The problem is they have to spend SOOO much time in the minors to be able to contribute. A lot can go wrong during that time like injuries or just "lumping"

17. Brandon S.

Yeah doing your 1st draft and having the 2nd pick overall can be a lot to think about. Im happy with my pick as long as he pans out. A solid Lefty sinker ball pitcher is perfect for me.

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Noles would of never picked him if the guys in the chatbox weren't screaming "just pick that 3B so we can get a move on."

19. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Romero is a huge gamble totally agree. But with the upside to be the best player we have seen drafted in 8 years I will gamble on him 10 outta 10 times. Great breakdowns today Jesse really enjoyed them all.

20. KnightNoles

I think it was discussed somewhere in skype, it would be a plus if he knew 2B.

21. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

LF Valentin Lopez

JohnnyClutch has been one of our most successful GM's. He's had 6 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances and been very good in all of his negotiations and trades. Unfortunately he has had the evil empire which is the Atlanta Braves beating him down every step of the way.

Valentin Lopez now arrives in Miami as the 19th player drafted. Another "toolsey" guy, Lopez is a decent player who doesn't really excel at anything outside of running the bases. He's very good, just nothing exceptional about him. Really just your run of the mill corner OF. He has a solid eye and can play all 3 OF positions. Like I said.. nothing special here.

Overall Grade: C

[​IMG]

CF Morgan McCullough

BigSmooth33 is one of those unlucky GMs. This guy makes some of the best moves with his organization, always does well with his budget and yet never finishes first. He's put some great products on the field and has yet to win the division. This year that could change as this offense is one of the best in baseball.

For his pick... a very, very interesting player in CF Morgan McCullough. I am not sure who I would compare him to. His positives are explosive HR power, excellent speed and defense. Think Curtis Ganderson'esque. Unfortunately his contact and eye, as well as his high strikeout rate really worry me. When he gets on base, he will score for you. When he gets a hit, its most likely going over the fence or extra bases. The problem is, I dont expect him to be more than a career .250 hitter with an OBP of maybe .285. Once again... a decent player who has a unique skillset, just not sure how well he contributes. Thankfully, his CF ability offset a lot of this, and he plays Gold Glove caliber defense.

Overall Grade: B-

• Like Like x 2
  22. Brandon S.

I dont think Ludlow is better than Walker. Walker is a sinker ball pitcher at 94-96 mph, while Ludlow throws 91-93 fastball. Walker has more pitches, higher GB %, their movement potential is the same and Walker has higher control potential. While Ludlow has a higher stuff potential, its only 5 and thats probably because he has less pitches. Also, Ludlow is very greedy and not a leader. While comparing the two, i didnt like Ludlow's lack of leadership and high amount of greed. The only thing that isnt great about Walker's traits is that he isnt loyal. Either way, i liked Walker more because of his pitches. He'll probably pitch in the ML longer too than a guy who throws a 91mph fastball.

23. PAgamer07

The only thing I pay attention to for prospects is intelligence and work ethic. Maybe I am wrong here and once again, this is my opinion. Id have to go back through these to see how many hits and misses Ive had. I think Ludlow has better intangibles at the two things I mentioned. They are very, very similar pitchers. I just like "Cracker" better.

*edit* and really just splitting hairs between a B and B+

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  24. Brandon S.

Yeah i check for leadership ability, i'd imagine that has to have some effects. But Ludlow's arsenal threw me off. A fastball changeup curve guy is pretty common, and he doesn't even throw it fast. 91-93 and probably wont get much higher, while Walker relies on movement with superior control. Figured that'd last longer in the ML and with his 94-96 mph sinker, thats got to be deadly.

25. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

I look at work ethic and greed. Primarily because I'm Oakland.