2019 Week 7

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by hornfaninbama, May 13, 2014.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Trojans Escape Utes
    USC Wins 45-43

Los Angeles, CA- The #8 USC Trojans upset the #4 Utah Utes Saturday, despite a furious rally. For two and a half quarters everything went against Utah. They played sloppy, and in the end the sloppiness from the first half doomed them.

USC got off to a blistering start taking a 17-0 lead with 6:56 left in the second. Utah's offense finally put something together on their next drive going 70 yards in 3 plays and :30 to put a TD on the board. USC responded with their own TD, and a 24-7 lead. Utah drove the ball downfield before an interception by Matt Harris turned the ball over. Except USC's defensive back casually flipped the ball out of the back of the endzone. Utah fans were pumped, 2 points and the ball would go a long way towards helping get their team back in the ball game. Except the referees ruled that Burrell was attempting to go to one knee as he flipped the ball and allowed USC to keep posession and start their drive from the 20. USC scored again to take a 31-7 lead into halftime.

A completely different Utah squad took the field in the second half, the defense scored on a strip sack by DE Joe Harris who rumbled in from 72 yards out. and a 31-14 deficit. The defense allowed USC to storm down the field however and a 38-14 lead. Utah knew from then on out they would have to be aggressive to try and make a comeback. So when Matt Harris scored from 12 yards out Utah went for and made a 2 point conversion, and a38-22 deficit.

Utah scored the next TD on a 11 yard pass from Harris to Rivera, and the Ute's promptly gave up a 65 yard score by Brian McMillan. A play where 3 defenders dove under his legs and decided not to grab one of them. Utah stormed downfield quickly and scored on a 12 yard pass from Harris to Jamie Barclay, and again had to go for 2, but they were unable to convert and still trailed by 9. The defense forced their first stop of the day, and Utah scored again to narrow the gap to 2 and a 45-43 deficit. USC recovered the onside kick and kneeled out the clock.

After the game Utah players and coaches were incensed that the blown call was the difference, "At minimum that's a 2 point swing, but when you figure they went right down and scored another TD that's a 9 point swing. We shouldn't have been in the position where the referees could decide the game, but at the same time you expect them to get the call right. As bad as our offense was playing then, let's assume we gave up a turnover and 6. The game goes to overtime at 45 all. If we score, it's 52-45 and we're not having this discussion."

2. hornfaninbama

Good game SunofGod5 Hindsight being what it is I should have paused it and had you run out the back of the end zone to get it right.

3. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

Bizarre. Looks like that play really cost you.

4. hornfaninbama

No. I dug my own hole. Sun beat me, but coming up 2 points short on the comeback with that play in my memory really stung. Essentially cost me what might have been an undefeated season and potential Pac 12 title.

5. xassassin4lifex

xassassin4lifex Walk On

Had a 4 th quarter comeback vs Tulane and after kneeling the ball and the game was over, my game froze. This is the second time the game froze on me and it's really frustrating. I'll just take a sim on this.