2020 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 12, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It's that time of year ladies. Time to hear all about your awesome offseason moves, your expectation for this season and a quick snapshot around the league. So take some time and answer some questions from the local media.

1. What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?
    2. What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?
    3. As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    4. What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?
    5. We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.

2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

1. What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?
    Everything on the roster except Markus Mason and our farm system is still a weakness.

Joey Bats is making a comeback. Book it.

3. As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    Overrated has got to be Wins for a pitcher. This coming from a GM who has seen absolute gems pitched just to see the offense not do shit. And vice versa. Underrated has got to be Holds. Its basically a save, but a lot of middle relievers are put in spots that are much more dicey than a closer who often enters the game with bases empty.

-In Seed Order-
    1. Orioles
    2. Astros
    3. Royals
    4. Tigers
    5. Blue Jays

5. We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.

Pitcher – Smiling Stan Jon Bryant. Yeah I know he’s technically already in the organization but I’m pretty much banking the entire Indians future on this arm. Don’t let me down Smiley.

Hitter – Dave Moore. Man to think this guy made his big splash against me as an injury replacement in the ALDS. For that, I have a hatred so big that its an obsession with the guy. So F U ryalaman

3. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

My biggest weakness is my starting pitching. I went out and spent a bunch of money on Cueto and Verlander (and gave up the picks associated with them too) to try to shore that up. Then Cueto tore his labrum in ST and Verlander died in his start against the Tigers, so now I'm looking at 50M on the DL that I managed to squeeze 1.5 starts out of on the season. Solid stuff. Ogawa may come up soon to fix some of the pitching problems and we expect him to be a star. We just didn't want it to be so soon.

Idk, there aren't many "under the radar" types on my club. If I had to say, I'd guess I'd go with Chris Patterson who will get the first crack at replacing Cueto/Verlander in the rotation.

Overrated stat is saves. Pitching wins are dumb, and the fact that there are people who think they are meaningful makes me cry... but the save rule impacts more games. Managers get dumb and let their "closer" pitch in situations that they have better matchups because "ZOMG HE'S THE 9TH INNING GUY".

Underrated is CS. People don't realize how bad getting caught trying to swipe a bag is for their run expectancy and what the breakeven point should be on SB/CS to even make it worth their while to try to take a base.

Orioles, Astros, Twins, Blue Jays, Mariners

Pitcher: Augusto Martinez. A 24 year old ace to anchor the rotation for a decade or so? Uh, yes please.

Hitter: Huck Donahue is the obvious answer for me, so I'll say Woody Scarlett just to mix things up.

4. PAgamer07

What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?

We really like our team this year, but infield defense looks to be a bit of a problem. We hope to shore that up as the season moves along. We have some good gloves in the minors, just not the best hitters. We tried to go with the platoon approach at SS, and right now... its not working.

What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?

OF Jud Adams. He plays excellent defense, has excellent speed and has excellent numbers versus RHP. I like his gap hitting ability as well in my park. I really think this guy is going to have an excellent season.

As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?

The most overrated stat has to be RBI. Of all the stats for a hitter, this has to be the one they have the least control over and has no bearing at all on how good of a hitter you are. So many things can go right (or wrong) for a player to get (or not get) and RBI. Totally useless stat IMO.

The most underrated? There are so many... but I have to go with K:BB. In my opinon this is the best barometer of how good a pitcher's stuff is and his control of his pitches. Defense is taken completely out of the equation with this stat.

What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?

1. Milwaukee
    2. Arizona
    3. Miami
    4. Pittsburgh
    5. Cincinatti

We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.

For a pitcher it has to be Julio Teheran. Although he is nearly 30 years old, he has been one of the best pitchers in the league his entire career and should continue to dominate into his mid-late 30's.

Hitter has to be Dave Moore. From 2012-2020, he is #10 in HR already. And he has only been in the league since 2015. Just an amazing hitter.

5. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Starting rotation and not a chance.
    1. What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?
    Allain without question. None of you have even heard of him and he will finish this season top 5 in MVP voting
    1. As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    The HR is the most overrated. And Walks are the most underrated
    1. What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?
    Bmore/Houston/Seattle/Minnesota/Yankees
    1. We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.
    Yelich without question and Teheran

6. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I've heard about him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?
    • I guess I'll go with no true ace, I feel like I have 2 or 3 #2 starters. Shouldn't be a problem during the season but it would be nice to have a shutdown ace in the playoffs. Maybe Osman will turn out to be that guy down the road.
    • Ovando missed 2.5 months last year and I expect him to be a comeback player. Feel like he's always been solid and is looking to take it to the next level this year.
    As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    • Why would I want other owners to know this? I'll say fielding percentange and K/BB
    • Astros, O's, Twins, M's, Yankees
    We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.
    • Pitcher: Augusto (MIN) Hitter: Abbott (BOS)

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Offense. We are terrible at creating runs. I think the trade for McPherson and Vignal should be a huge help with that though. I thought our bullpen was much improved, but so far it's looking like I was wrong.

Catcher Alex Torres. He's been lost in the shuffle in the transition between McCann and Estrada, but did well in backup duty to both of them. Now that Estrada is gone he get's his chance to shine.

Pitcher wins is by far the most overrated. I can't think of another stat that depends on other people as much as that one. Case in point, Nat's SP Nicholas Struck threw 8.2 innings of 1 hit ball, got a no decision and his team lost. On the other end of the spectrum, Orioles pitcher Jorge Lopes gave up 5 earned runs in 5.1 innings and got the win. The most underrated stat for me is Quality Starts. There's something to be said for having a pitcher who can go deep into games and keep the bullpen fresh, especially if they aren't allowing runs in the process.

Miami
    Cincy
    San Francisco
    Arizona
    Atlanta

Hitter: Lynwood Abbott. The kid is an absolute stud, and only 24. He strikes out quite a bit, but that doesn't matter if he's still getting on base nearly 40% of the time and hitting 25+ home runs.
    Pitcher: Julio Teheran. I know it's a homer pick, and guys are starting to catch up to him. But, he's been the best pitcher in the Dugout for probably 7 of our 10 seasons.

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Don't you know the new wave is the differential over batters faced?

10. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

I've got quite a few, but probably offensive production from my infielder spots, namely 3B. I'm hoping Broaca develops quickly this year in AAA and will be ready for the bigs next year.

I have a few, namely OF Valdemar Mehlinger, C Rafael Figueroa, and SP Wes "O.B." Norris

Overrated: Pitcher wins, just so many things outside their control for this to be a meaningful stat.
    Underrated: Probably K/BB

O's, 'Stros, M's, Jays, and Twins

Batter- Dave Moore
    Pitcher - Teheran

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  11. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

San Francisco's starting pitching is weak this year overall. The rotation is weak, and the bad news is there is also not very much depth. #4 starter BJ Salsbury went down for 8 weeks in the first sim and journeyman minor leaguer Clayton Blackburn will take his spot in the rotation.

The Giants have quite a few new players breaking into the bigs this year. LF/RF Jason Smith is the best candidate. Smith was called up late last year, playing in the final 42 games of the season. He hit .275 with a .344 OBP. Smith is a plus fielder with burner speed. SS Dennis Latour is a 21 year old former 15th round draft pick, who has blossomed into a high ceiling player. Latour is a high contact / high OBP guy with strong fielding ratings. Former first round pick, SP Sang-your Park moves into the #5 slot in the rotation. Park isn't particularly overpowering, but does a good job keeping the ball in the park and not giving away walks.

I don't believe any statistics are overrated. They all paint a picture of how a batter / pitcher plays the game. I certainly don't believe wins or RBI are overrated. I've played with hitters who stunk with the bases empty, but would put up huge numbers with runners on base. I've also played with pitchers who had the ability to win one run games. Would you avoid a guy who wins 14-17 games every year, even if his ERA is around 4.10 because he gives up 5 or 6 runs in a start a couple times per year? I'll take those guys on my staff all day.

Underrated - BB/9. It's difficult to overcome a pitcher who issues free passes.

Miami
    Cincinnati
    Arizona
    Milwaukee
    San Francisco

Hitter - Yelich MIA
    Pitcher - Teheran ATL

12. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

• My bullpen. After bringing in some people it has improved just a smidgen but they will make or break me all season.
    • SP Mike Range. He has been good in the pen for us and I think he is ready to take on #4 spot in our rotation.
    • Diamonback
    • Phillies
    • Pirates
    • Reds
    • Miami
    • Hitter- Brodie Green
    • Pitcher- Michael Wacha

13. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

• I'm worried about pitching as always. I feel like we have some competent depth though some I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.
    • I think Brandon Martin could pull it all together this year.
    • Wins is most overrated. Most underrated I don't know. Maybe BABIP. I feel like that gets ignored even though it explains a lot.
    • Houston, Baltimore, Minnesota, Seattle, Tampa Bay
    5. We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team
    • Hitting: Ramón Odormo.
    • Pitching: Berde Lauritzen

14. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

• I think my bullpen might struggle but i have plenty of depth in my AAA to bring up some guys and swap them out. Losing Zimmerman hurt, he ate up a lot of innings and my bullpen consisted of 3 main guys, Beli Arguelles and Zimmerman. Now i need someone else to step up, hoping Kanekoa Texiera steps up.
    1. What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?
    • Aaron Altherr. Dude was a replacement last year and batted over .300. Got put into the starting role in September because Paco Luna was hurt and he was player of the month, batting over .400 ! He earned a starters role this year.
    1. As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    • WAR i feel is the most overrated statistic, and OBP is the most underrated. No individual player is guarenteed to increase your win totals, its a team game.
    1. What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?
    • Orioles, Astros, Twins, Seattle, Royals :D
    1. We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.
    • Roberto Lopez from Philly and Lynn Abbott from Boston

15. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

I was really hoping to address some of my pitching woes this offseason but wasn't able to come to terms with my prime targets. I was able to add some spot fillers and give them a shot this year with little risk though. I'd like to think we can overcome that weakness, but I doubt we will.

I don't know if he's truly under the radar, but I think 1B Ed Washington is poised to have a great year. In the #5 spot in the lineup, he'll get plenty of opportunities batting behind Perez and Massey for RBIs and his power should be big in Coors.

For someone truly under the radar, 2B Devin McGuire looks like he should breakout this year. He didn't have a great year batting wise last year, but he was very good at drawing walks and getting on base. He progressed in the offseason and his offense looks much improved. That combined with his gold glove caliber defense sets him up for a good year.

Wins is the most overrated stat, but since that's already been covered....I'll go with BABIP. To me, BABIP is a general measure of team defense but for some reason it's tied to the pitcher. I suppose a pitcher with a higher GB% should have a better BABIP, but aside from luck, the BABIP should be about the same for every pitcher on a team over the course of a full season. It tells me very little about the pitcher and is also a worthless stat in comparison to pitchers on other teams.

The most underrated is Ks for batters. Ks for pitchers is a big stat but I generally find it to be an afterthought to most people for batters. A strikeout is the only truly worthless at bat. The player needs to be getting the ball in play. Force the defense to make a play or move a runner around the bases. There's many ways to be productive with the bat without getting on base but that can't happen with a strikeout.

Arizona, Milwaukee, Washington, San Francisco, Cincinnati

Definitely LF Dave Moore. A 5 tool player that's only 27 years old. For the pitcher, I would go with SP Julio Teheran. The guy is a stud.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  16. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Massey/Perez are one of the best 1-2 punches that don't get much talk around here. Will be interesting to see how Massey comes back from injury.

17. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

The 3B and CF positions are still up for grabs. Brought in some guys but nobody has stepped up yet. SP could be better as well.

Austin Brice could be big if he stays healthy for an entire season and plays to his potential.

Raj's World Series Championship is the most overrated. The most underrated is OPS.

Miami, Arizona, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Atlanta

Pitcher: Teheran
    Batter: Yelich

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

• What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?
    Where DON'T I have weakness? My starting pitching sucks...my bullpen sucks...my defense sucks...my team can't hit. I might lose 100 games.
    • What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?
    I can't even tell you who is on my team anymore.:)Honestly thought, I think Pir 'Headhunter' Hassani is poised to have a good year.
    • As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    Overrated...pitching W's. You can pitch well and not win. Most underrated? BABIP.
    • What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?
    Arizona, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Miami, Milwaukee, or as I call it: Not the Cubs, Someone other than the Cubs, Who are these guys, The team that gets sold off every 3 years and Beer Town.
    • We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.
    Dave Moore and Teheran

19. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    - I felt like I had two question marks coming into this season. Number one is obviously my offense. Only 2 players in my lineup right now where in my starting lineup last season, so obviously there has been some huge turnover. So far we're doing better then expected. With Jones injury though that may change. I'm still trying to figure things out lineup wise, but I think once I get that done we'll do just fine. That "weakness" I think we can over come. Second would be my bullpen. My bullpen was the strength of the team last year, but this year with the loss of Miley and Axford, things are looking shaky. Jaramillo I thought would fill in nicely but hes been very very up and down to start the season. With my SP continuing to go deep in games, if Jaramillo can settle in and start pitching well I think we'll be fine.

- I really think Boss Moanaroa is primed to have a stellar season. This is first real shot at any legitimate starting time in the ML level, but the guy has thrived when given the chance every other time he's gotten the nod at first. He's had a solid start to the season so far, so I expect big things from him. Also, Ramiro Rodriguez. He hit a ton of triples for Miami last year, but I think in Petco he's going to thrive. Through 17 games he's already has 7 extra base hits (3 doubles, 4 triples). He's another one star wonder I have my eye on.

- Overrated: Wins for a pitcher. Underrated: Complete games. CG's are probably the one thing I value you the most out of my starting pitchers and I think are often the most overlooked.

- Braves, Reds, Giants, Nationals, Diamondbacks.

Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.
    - Hitter: Miguel Cardenas / Pitcher: Berde Lauritzen

20. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

Fringe to 4th OF. Outside of Harper, will we get the capable All Star in Strickland or will it be the oft-injured Strickland? Will Soto play well enough and swing it it at a decent clip. Along with that will we have plenty of lineup protection? We might be able to overcome it with a solid trade and if 1B Bena swings it well to protect Strickland and Harper.

Still waiting on Catcher Ed Falrey to breakout and hit above .250.
    Mike Hunt playing some situational innings and ABs and will soon take over a starting role this year or in 2021 and beyond.

Of course everyone will say W/L for pitchers, but everyone loves those guys that can win 15-20 games.
    OBP and K's. Need people to get on whether that is on one pitch or good ABs, OBP provides the chances for teams to win. If you K a lot, there isn't any production and it makes the team suffer.

Brewers, Diamondbacks, Giants, Phillies, Reds

Julio Teheran
    Dave Moore

21. PAgamer07

22. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Better late than never...

[*]What weaknesses does your team still have as we enter this season and do you think you will be able to overcome them?
    End of the rotation has needed improvement or production and my slow start has shown that... Really need to keep a flow through my minor league system, as a few of my main guys aren't getting any younger.
    [*]What under the radar player on your team will be a breakout star this year?
    I'm pretty excited about rule 5 guy, Leon Martinez, courtesy of Shaun Mason. He figures to be my set up man if continues to show promise... That 101 mph heater late in the game should be tough.
    [*]As a GM... what do you feel is the most overrated statistic in baseball? The most underrated?
    Overrated to me are ERA, W/L's, and a little bit in WAR. Since the Trout/Cabrera debate for MVP irl, I think too many people use this as an end all be all argument for who's better. IMO, you should only compare WAR within position groups. Underrated is probably BABIP, with WHIP close behind... Offensively, I'm an OPS + guy...
    [*]What are the 5 playoff teams in your league?
    Arizona, San Francisco, Miami, Cincinnati (puke), and the love able Brewers :)))
    [*]We asked this a few years ago, so let's take a look now. Give me one pitcher and one hitter that you would love to have on your team.

I'd love to have this version of Nick Ramirez... Brock Holt would be nice... But honestly I'm real happy with Jason Parrish...
    Pitching is without a doubt Teheran.

23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I got fucked by work, didn't get to protect anyone.=(