2020 Round 1 Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by NeuroticTruth, Apr 19, 2013.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

SP Bob 'Breezy' Little

To say that the Cubs have been on a bumpy ride the last few years would be an understatement. After falling into financial woes last season causing Shaun Mason to start trading away some high dollar stars, coupled with the regression of some young pitching prospects, it seems that the Cubs focus has shifted to rebuilding their staff as they look to the future.

SP Bob Little has the potential to help fill that need nicely. Little has vast arsenal of pitches (5 in total), all of which but one have good A potentials, which should play well with his A+ control. He's definitely a guy that can eat up some innings and his GB % should help his chances in Wrigley. My problem with this pick is the number of other stud SPs still available. While Little is definitely one of the better pitchers in the draft, there are 2 or 3 who are just flat better overall. Again though, monetary demands I'm sure paid a factor in this pick.

Draft Grade: B

[​IMG]

SP Carter 'Grumpy' Hamilton

After making some of the most boneheaded trades in Dugout history this past offseason, the Padres farm system is depleted to say the least. At this point, with the Padres clearly focusing on winning now, a developed prospect that can be ready in a hurry is a must.

SP Carter Hamilton can be that guy for the Padres. Hamilton is one of the more developed SPs in the draft and he's only 21. He put up some great numbers in college and his A+ pitching attributes should translate well. The one weakness here for Hamilton is his stamina. In 20 starts in college Hamilton only pitched 130 innings, raising some red flags around the league. Looking back on the pick, I'm still not sure that this pick makes 100% sense for the Padres long term. They already have some good young arms in their system, so it seems that a position player would have played better system wise for them.

Draft Grade: B+

[​IMG]

SP Guillermo 'Bazooka' Madrid

Like the Cubs, the Indians are in desperate need of a true ace in their rotation. JFace907 has built the Indians up with some decent bats, but their starting pitching is really holding this team back right now. Age and poor performance are really slowing this team down in a division that otherwise would be winnable for the Indians

SP Guillermo Madridshould give them the stability they're looking for. Madrid is arguably the best pitcher in this draft and in many peoples eyes should have been a shoe in for the #1 overall pick. Luckily for the Indians, he fell right into their laps. While his A+ potentials in almost every major attribute put him at the top of peoples lists, its his current development that catapults him past the competition. While Madrid is already 23, its definitely plausible that he becomes in immediate ace for the Indians in just a season or two of time.

Draft Grade: A+

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

You were way too nice to Shaun :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

NeuroticTruth how did you manage to question yourself in your own review? Got to have confidence man.

4. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I actually agree with his analysis though. I thought for sure one of those speedy gap hitters would go to him at 2.

5. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I would of went Grumpy #1

6. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I know but I wasnt in the mode to tempt the ban hammer today.

Personally, I feel like I went with BPA, but like I said I already have a good stock of young pitchers. Not 100% sure if a hitter wouldnt have been a better pick for me. I've kinda ignored hitting for a while.

7. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

1B Guibert Cavallaro

After failing the sign their first round draft picks for two consecutive years, sawemoff finds himself with three much needed firsts this year as he attempts to rebuild his farm system. With his #4 overall pick, he selected 1B Guibert Cavallaro. Personally, I just dont get this pick. While Cavallaro has some promise, as he should be a good avg / OBP guy with his A contact and eye ratings; his personality traits really scare me. Cavallaro isnt an awful pick, but at #4 I feel like there were much better players still on the board

Draft Grade: B-

[​IMG]

CF Alejandro 'Mosquito' Páez

The #5 pick in the draft fell to soxandgators and the White Sox. With it they selected CF Alejandro 'Mosquito' Páez. Let me start by saying this, its pretty clear to everyone that Paez's potentials make him one of the best prospects in years. That being said, I dont like this pick at all for the White Sox. Alejandro is still very young and very far away from meeting those potentials, not to mention his $10 mil dollar slot demand. While the White Sox did pick up Romero last year, he too is still young and far off from being ML ready. The White Sox have some great hitters that are going into the primes of the careers. I think its time for them to quit ignoring pitching and get some ML arms that can match their offense.

[​IMG]

SP Tyson 'Beetle' Bland

For the first time in years, Timpegoose and the Braves had secured themselves a top 10 draft pick. With Teheran getting up their in age, it was clear their focus was to find a future replacement for him. With the #6 overall pick they may have down that with SP Tyson Bland. Bland could have easily gone #1 overall with his A+ pitcher ratings in virtually every attribute, along with 3 pitches of A+ quality. The one thing holding him back, clearly, is his personality traits. That being said, he is already fairly developed, so its not a huge risk here. Personally, I love this pick for the Braves, not just for the organization but for the value of the pick at #6.

• Like Like x 4
  8. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

SP Miguel 'Racetrack' Bello

sawemoff and the Dodgers were up again at #7 with plenty of talent still on the board. This time they chose to go with SP Miguel Bello. Bello is a hell of a pitcher with the highest potential control in the draft. He has 4 well developed pitches with 3 being A to A+ potential. On top of that he's 22 and should be ready in just a few seasons to make an impact in a rotation that needs it. The biggest concern here is his stamina. Rated at 3, big questions loom as to whether Bello will be able to live up to his SP billing. If not, its an awful high pick for a future MR.

Draft Grade: C+

[​IMG]

SS Paul 'Prunes' Dyer

The Marlins pick at #8 really intrigues me. SS Paul Dyer is one of the most versatile players in the draft and has one of the better bats at the top as well. JohnnyClutch clearly has eyes for this guy at 3B with the immersion of Domingo Lopez, and there is nothing wrong with that. Dyer speed and A++ range should play nicely at 3B. If there is any question mark in this pick its his work ethic and possibly his arm. Regardless, I love this pick and it definitely sets Miami up to have one of the best infields in the majors once Dyer is ML ready.

Draft Grade: A

[​IMG]

P Júlio 'Peppers' Ortega

The Oakland A's were up at #9 and clearly looking to try and fill a gap in their farm system. With no real MR prospects, Confucius Rex turned to Juilo Ortega. Julio Ortega has A++ stuff along with A movement and control. His fastball and splitter are both rated at A+ as well. There were talks out of the Athletics organization of moving him to the starting rotation, but if he doesnt develop another pitch, I dont see that happening. Ortega at #9 to me, is a great pick, especially because hes a leftie. I'll think he'll do just fine in the bullpen, even with his 10 stamina, and should be coveted as leftie relievers are few and far between.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PAgamer07

I think a lot of Saw's concerns are being able to sign all these picks. That played a lot in his decision making process.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PAgamer07

Also... what is the deal with Josh hoarding middle infielders???

11. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I'm sure it did too, and I really really like his #15 pick, but more on that later. ;)

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    That's the wonderful thing about this game...none of us know how the future is going to look for ANY of these guys. Everyone can think I'm a moron if they want, but I would think by now those of you who actually know me realize that when you think I'm flat out wrong...it's because I know something you don't.

*shrug* Maybe I'm a moron.:)

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    That dude is a Tommy Johns waiting to happen, there has to be a reason his innings were so low.

14. PAgamer07

Youre exactly right. I was working on a 1st round busts feature actually and got side tracked. There have been a lot :)

15. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    It clearly has nothing to do with his stamina..

16. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

This

17. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I traded away 3 of them this off-season.

18. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

SS Don 'Skoonj' McMillan

HAL9100 clearly didnt think the 3, 4, 5 combination of Luis Perez, Tyler Massey, and Ed Washington was good enough (yeah right), as he selected SS Don McMillan with the #10 overall pick. McMillan to me is a straight BPA pick. He's a kid with some great personality traits and if his A++ contact, gap, and power potentials get fullfilled hes easily on tract to be one of the best hitting short stops in the league. Couple his hitting with his ability to play at 2B, 3B, or SS without missing a beat and he's very deserving of this #10 spot. I personally might have gone after a SP with this pick, based on team needs, but in the end you cant argue with the choice.

[​IMG]

3B José 'Jittery Joe' Juárez

The Texas Rangers are clearly a team in transition. Since DrunkenSoldier took over the team, he's been slowly dropping payroll and trying to rebuild. With the #11 pick, he clearly was just going after talent and BPA. With 3B Jose Juarez, he got just that. Jose is a beast and someone who was high on a lot of different teams board. His A++ potentials in contact, gap, and power are drool worthy. He's also proven he's got a cannon for an arm at third, but there has been some fielding questions as he's been prone to make an error or two in high school. The one downside to this pick may be his age. At 19, Juarez is still a little raw and potentially risky to bust out. Luckily his work ethic and intelligence are questioned by no one.

Draft Grade: A-

[​IMG]

SP Sang-hyun 'Buzzard' Wang

Judging by the rumors floating around the league early in the season of KnightNoles trying to secure a young stud SP via trades, its clear that the selection of SP Sang-hyun Wang was in an attempt to find an arm to eventually replace the aging Stephen Strasburg. Sang-hyan should eventually fill those holes, and if he does fullfill his pitching rating potentials (A+ stuff / movement / control) he should be a stud. His stamina is a bit of a concern at 6, so he may put a little strain on the bullpen during his starts. My other concern with this pick is his age. For a team that is clearly looking for a young sure fire arm, I may have gone with more of a sure thing. At only 17, there is some question as to whether Wang will live up to his billing, as he's still got a long way to go.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

20. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Thanks. I'll try to finish it up tonight / tomorrow afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  21. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    lol. I didnt get home until ~10 PM last night. Had some family come into town.

23. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

SP Dave 'Enigma' Holland

Fmode11 and the Detroit Tigers are proving this season that they're legitimate contenders for the AL Central crown. While their bats have been red hot as of late, their pitching is what is truly holding them back. Picking up a young developed pitcher with plenty of promise clearly was a focus for the team in the draft, and that they did. SP Dave Holland was a great addition for them, in both the short term and the long term. With four A rated pitches to go along with his A rated control, movement, and stuff; Holland should be ready to dominate the mound in only a few short years. If the Tigers are able to find a stop gap until he's ready, this pick might end up being huge for them.

[​IMG]

2B Jeffrey Davidson

The Mariners are one of the premier teams in the AL, consistently competiting year after year, lead mostly by their dominating pitching and solid defense. I'm sure Dylema was frothing at the mouth when 2B Jeffrey Davidson fell to him at #14. Davidson has the potentials to be one of the best hitting 2B in the league and will fill in perfectly for the aging Brad Miller. At 18 he is a bit raw, but the Mariners are clearly hoping that while he ages his defense will also improves.

Draft Grade: A

[​IMG]

CF José Hernández

After going with financial safe picks with their first two picks, sawemoff and the Dodgers finally stepped out and made a splash at #15. After securing some rotation and corner infield help, the Dodgers selected CF Jose Hernandez. Hernandez has great speed on the base paths that will also translate well in the NL West. While he's slated as a CF, his defense probably makes him more of a RF. Be as it may, he's still a guy who can play every position in the OF. Personally, I'm shocked Hernandez fell this far based on his potentials (which are rated as one of the highest for a batter overall in the draft). Much of that may be focused on his poor work ethic and low intelligence, but at 15 I think the Dodgers did a great job here grabbing a guy at a position that was in high demand for them.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Spot on here NT. Although there were a few positional players I wanted to pick here, I felt having a Supplemental pick from Baltimore for Verlander that this type of pitcher would not still be around at the end of the first round - but rather a fielder would be. As mentioned, the Tigers starting pitching is the achilles heel this year (again) and we need to get that sorted out because the offense is once again clicking regardless of who we plug into the line-up. The Tigers currently have 3 pitchers in AAA right now that are poised to become 4-5* pitchers with only there control left to develop.

25. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

I was surprised he wasn't the first CF to go but I was glad he fell to me because it gives me an OF that can hit which is much needed here in LA. Can't wait to see Hernandez/Ramano play in the outfield together :)