2021 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, May 27, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It's time to start talking about your team for this season. I know we had a huge lull, and still have a few kinks to work out as we get used to OOTP '14, but now we need to keep the content flowing.

So... take a few minutes and answer these important questions from the media:

1. Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about?
    2. What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?
    3. What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?
    4. Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
    5. Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards :)

2. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Outlook from Beantown
    [​IMG]
    1. Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about?
      1. Signing - 2nd Baseman Jason Kipnis
      2. Departure Perez - Starting Pitcher
    2. What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?
      1. ryalaman signing - Gio Gonzalez
    3. What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNolesGM of the Year award?
      1. Howard Strickland - Dude is making some money
    4. Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
      1. Bruce McKeachen - The kid looks like a stud time till tell
    5. Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL.
      • AL East - Orioles
      • AL West - Angels
      • AL Central - Indians
      • NL East - Illadelphia
      • NL West - Dodgers
      • NL Central - Cubs Baby
    I need to understand the game a little better to really get into this but I want to make an effort

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

4. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

1. No big losses, but i have a very good core of players that ive had for almost 2 seasons now, and im adding to the quality of starting pitching this season. Huston Street is a big addition at Closer so i now have a real closer and can use my previous guy has a great set up to eat another 100 innings out of the pen. We added Tyler Anderson who is a decent LHP to round out the starting rotation. At #5 we have Ruben Vigueras who is coming up from the minors. He out performs his peripherals and earned a shot at the #5. Im very excited to see the new rotation in play.

2. Minnesota did a very good job of reloading after losing Augusto even though i hate to admit it. They got 2 or 3 very good SP to complete that rotation. I know the guy from houston and i think the other was from Miami. Both were very good SPs who's names i can't remember.

3. I dont know. I hate to dog on Masler but him trading one of the best up and coming SPs for a catcher who is ending his prime when his team should be rebuilding had him very high on my list, but he made up for it i guess with a few FA signings and trading for Cade patton. he basically gave up a 1st round pick for Patton but that will round out his OF to compliment the huge overpay for Gore this offseason. I guess he wanted to win now and not rebuild. He was stuck in an awkward situation where you either sell the prospects for vets to win now or sell your vets for prospects and tank it and he chose to win now. Im the same way, can't blame him. We all have questionable moves.

4. My favorite player is Aaron Altherr. The guy has awful peripherals and has been the best batter on my team for the past 2 seasons. Had he not gotten hurt last year, i think KC would have been in the playoffs. However, i think the face of the team is Scotty Clay. Hes just an amazing batter.

AL East - Baltimore
    AL Central - Kansas City ;)
    AL West - LA

NL East - Nats
    NL Central - Pittsburgh
    NL West - Diamondbacks

I have no idea who is even in the NBL.

• Like Like x 2
  5. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

1. The biggest loss would have to be B.J. Upton. However, the angels feel like with their minor leagues and their off season acquisitions they feel they did not lose to much. Did not have any major free agent signing or trades, just some minor signings to fill out the roster!

2. It would have to be the signing of Gio Gonzalez to ryalaman. He is a beast of a pitcher and would be a welcome addition to any baseball team. Easily can repeat!!

3. Whoever pays Justin Upton that 17 miillion salary!!

4. Easily its Huck Donahue! Brings the fans to the ballpark. Reiging MVP of the league and had by far the most victories over replacement in the AL. Without him on the Angels they would be the whipping boys of the AL West.

NL East- Washington Nationals
    NL Central- Milwauke Brewers
    NL West- San Francisco Giants

AL East- Baltimore Orioles
    AL Central- Minnesota Twins
    AL West- Los Angeles Angels

• Like Like x 2
  6. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about?

Losing Carlos Perez will be a bit of a blow to the rotation, but we've always had a way of finding good replacements for any starting pitchers we lose. Our "big" addition was a solid prospect in Will Wall, who will likely be big league ready about a year from now.

What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?

Colemanchu trading for Liberty is going to make that rotation one of the top in baseball. I'm not sure there's a better 1+2 punch than him and Matt Moore.

What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?

On the same note as that last one, I think Masler could have done better for Liberty and Mendoza. krtgolfing had a couple of questionable extensions as well, we'll have to wait and see on those.

Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?

I think everybody knows the answer to this question. SP Julio Teheran has been one of, if not the best, player in the Dugout so far and is without a doubt the face of this franchise and my favorite player.

Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards :)

AL West: Los Angeles Angels (Huck finally single handedly hits them to a division crown)
    AL Central: Minnesota Twins
    AL East: Baltimore Orioles

NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks
    NL Central: Cincinnati Reds
    NL East: Miami Marlins

• Like Like x 3
  7. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about?

Most of the core from last season returns, off a 93 win campaign. The options on Matt Kemp, Tim Lincecum, and Madison Bumgarner were not executed; leaving a ton of room for some offseason signings. The Giants were looking for pitching in free agency, but crazy contracts were being thrown out. Bumgarner was brought back to the team for $7 million less than he was asking for before free agency and Justin Verlander was signed.There is a 1-2 year lull in the quality of the Giants' minor league pitching staff, as Aguirre, Flores, and O'Lonergan need a little more time to develop.

The Giants' minor league system has turned out some great talent in recent years. SS Dennis Latour, LF Jason Smith, CF Kent Bollinger, RF Zach Rigbye and both backup outfielders are all products of the minor league system. Rigbye really blossomed last season in AAA ball - hitting 34 HR in only 398 ABs. He has a SLG of .446 as a September callup last season. The team defense should be much improved. They will need to be on top of their game, as the pitching staff is pretty weak this season. MR John Axford was signed to a cheap contract to provide some depth in the bullpen.

What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?
    Have to agree with Timpegoose. Colemanchu's pickup of Liberty Perez was huge and strengthens a unit that may have potentially been a bit soft for the Dbacks.

What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?
    Boston and Philadelphia spent some money in free agency. It will be interesting to see how these high risk / reward moves work out for them.

Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
    I don't currently have a favorite player. I just look at the players as commodities and try to get as much out of them for the money as possible.

Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL.

AL West: Seattle Mariners

NL Central: Cincinnati Reds
    NL East: Miami Marlins

• Like Like x 2
  8. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

-I didn't lose anyone that I really cared about but bringing MR/SP Mendoza was huge for my bullpen. Him and CL Johnston will be a great one-two punch at the end of games. Mendoza can also come in and be an emergency spot starter as well. SS Tom Dow and C Kenzo Shimizu were valued pick ups as well.

-Like mentioned above the Phillies-Dback trade really improved Cole's pitching rotation.

3. What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?
    -Read answer to question #2 haha

4.Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
    -1B Matthew Bass: He is the face of the LA Dodgers and probaby will be for awhile but I would like to mention two others as well. 2B Martin Mitchell and 3B Theodore May have not even made their MLB debuts yet but they will be fun to watch when they do!

5.Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards
    -NL East: Miami Marlins
    -NL Central: Pittsburgh Pirates
    -NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks
    -AL East: Baltimore Orioles
    -AL Central: Minnesoda Twins
    -AL West: LA Angels

• Like Like x 2
  9. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Too many people picking the Angels.. STOP IT!!! Like coming from out of the dark!

10. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

The only real loss from our 2020 team is Gio Gonzalez. We decided to void his contract because the value wasn't there and felt we could put that money elsewhere to better help the team. And that we did. We completely revamped our bullpen in an effort to hold onto games at the end and just bring down the amount of runs allowed in general. There's reserved optimism about this. We should definitely be improved this season, but it's probably not enough to really contend for anything.

Definitely Arizona trading for Liberty. They gave up a pretty good player to get him, but with their minor league depth, this is a move that should keep the rest of us in the NL West cellar for quite a few more years.

Not that this makes him a contender for that since he's coming off of 2 WS championships, but I think the contract the Orioles gave Gio is a big mistake. Gio may have struggled in Coors(like most everyone), but he's going to another hitters park so I wouldn't expect him to do any better in Camden Yards. On top of that, Gio is 35 and has been regressing. Giving him $25.5 mil this season and $82 mil over 4 years is just going to be a waste of a lot of money.

Money talks and we put our money behind RF Luis Perez last season. 5 tool player with 3 great seasons and is only 27 years old. He's already 1 of very few players in Dugout history to hit for 35+ HRs in at least 3 seasons. Only Conrad Tomshaw, Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Bautista, Junior Guerra, and now Luis Perez and Nomar Mazara have done that in 3 consecutive seasons. He should be the face of our franchise for a long time barring a catastrophe.

Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL.

AL West: Houston Astros

NL Central: Milwaukee Brewers
    NL East: Washington Nationals

• Like Like x 3
  11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

That's what you get for picking them yourself :)

12. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Wish I could turn out that kind of talent, big fan of Rigbye and Latour.

13. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Got to have confidence in the team..

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I want some of what you are smoking.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brandon S.

I laughed very hard reading this but then i realized bawvu is new.

16. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    Haha hey I at least made an effort to do it. I don't understand everything well enough and I was too lazy to do any real research :) i picked based on size of animals and well I'm from Baltimore lol

17. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Hahaha, that's honest.

18. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Lol, hey I appreciate the effort anyway. And I'm screwed with that logic, that Phillie Phanatic thing is one big SOB.

19. Brandon S.

I respect you for trying. But, you picked all of the teams that suck are rebuilding to win their division.

20. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    So picking by animal size bad choice for next year? :)

21. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I think you should pick teams with Native American based nicknames, and then cool birds. Size isn't everything ya know!

22. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

[​IMG]

I only lost 3 or 4 1 stars or below so no big deal. I will be losing my star second basemen Atsumori Samurakami next year though because he wants $21 million over 3 years and I don't have that kind of cash. :( I am excited about the trade between the Fukuoka Hawks(me) and Tohoku Golden Eagles(I Peench) where I sent SP Koryusai Okamoto and received SP Gavin Floyd and C Miguel Cruz. I really like Cruz and think he will be a star in a few years.

It was technically spring training. The move between the Hawks(me) and the Golden Eagles(I Peench) where I Peench received SP Koryusai Okamoto, I really think Peench needed another good SP to even have a shot at a decent season and that trade helped him out alot. (Only big move I know of in the NBL)

Pretty sure that award is MLB only... Who wants an award with the name KnightNoles in it anyway? :p

Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team?
    If not... who is?
    Atsumori 'Lurch' Samurakami is the favorite and yes I would say he is the face of this team until next year when he will be a free agent.

Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards :)
    Pacific League: Hokkaido Ham Fighters
    Central League: Yokohama BayStars

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  23. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

ASDRUBAL IS FINALLY GONE!!! Happy dance in Cleveland! Using the money that opened up in the budget, we were able to plug some holes in the lineup and try our best to do the same with the pitching staff. We addressed our weakness in the power department by signing Prince Fielder and Ceasar Rosa and brought the arms of Jarrod Parker and Brian Shaw in via free agency while acquiring Alex Brooks via Rule 5. It required from intense negotiations, but each free agent brought in was only signed to a 1 year deal allowing us to maintain maximum flexibility down the road.

2.What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?
    The Twins ability to immediately hit the trade market and find a very adequate injury replacement for Augusto was huge. I hate complimenting a division rival, but I love the aggressiveness in the pursuit of a replacement.

3.What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?
    Oh let me count the ways. The Phillies inability to keep one of the best power hitters (Nomar Mazara) in the league and doing it by choice was a pure head-scratcher. Then the cherry on top of the KnightTrolls GM of the Year award sundae, Liberty gets traded for a catcher (Tolentino) who is 5 years older than Liberty and plays a position that taxes the body heavily and no DH to save his legs. Patty T is also in the last year of a reasonably cheap deal, I highly doubt he’s taking anything less than 8 figures in this next contract seeing as it is the last deal he can really dictate how much he makes. As mentioned earlier, the Phils already let one guy walk due to contract demands, so by this time next year the Phils could be out 3 great players (Mazara, Liberty, Tolentino).

4.Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
    The obvious answer here is Markus Mason, but I’ve always had a soft spot for home grown Cody Allen. He’s been with the organization the longest since the trade of Asdrubal Cabrera. We love his heart and feistiness. Not to mention he wears his heart on his sleeve and always has his teammates back inciting a few brawls after seeing his teammates hit with pitches. He is definitely not the face of the team, but he is certainly a member of the Tribe for life.

5.Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards

AL:
    East – O’s
    Central – Twins
    West – Houston (Angels look good, but the ‘Stros have just made it work for too long to start doubting them now)

NL:
    East – Marlins
    Central – Pirates
    West – DBacks (and it won’t even be close)

NBL:
    Pacific – Ham Fighters (Upgrade from bologna)
    Central - BayStars

• Like Like x 3
  24. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about? There have been limited moves seeing as this is the inaugural season of the NBL. SP Steven Kent was acquired off of FA, and despite having 1.5 eyebrows, he seems poised to bring much needed stability to a rotation otherwise in flux.

What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially? The deal between Bulldog and myself is the only one I know of. I think the deal was mutually beneficial - he continues to build an incredible bullpen with the addition of Gavin Floyd, while getting a great young prospect with the flexibility to play a number of positions. Between this move and his acquisition of some key relievers, his bullpen has to be considered one of the best in the NBL.

What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award? Not enough moves in the NBL to find a Noles yet. If we're talking MLB, I agree wtih many that the Phillies have made some questionable decisions.

Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is? SS Tsuruki "Graveyard" Hirai is the unquestioned leader of this ball club, and is possibly the best player in the entire NBL. He has elite contact, speed, and defense. His only shortcoming is his lack of homerun power, but the Eagles are building a team around small ball, so no harm no foul there.

Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL. Screw the wildcards
    East – O’s
    Central – Twins
    West – Los Angeles

NL:
    East – Miami
    Central – Pittsburgh
    West – Arizona

NBL:
    Pacific – Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles (Yup, projected to finish last in the entire NBL...but I believe in this team!)
    Central - Hanshin Tigers

• Like Like x 3
  25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

• Any big losses or additions to your team you are either disappointed or excited about?
    Only substantial losses were Phillip Wunderlich and Alexi Ogando to free agency. Will miss Ogando's presence in the pen the most. Resigned Justin Upton for a fraction of his demand on a short contract too. Overall the entire team returns, but added Guillaume Pierre to hold down the corner infield spots. Pretty excited about Pierre, as he has hit the ground running so far in Spring Training.​
    • What offseason moves do you think may have really improved another team in the league substantially?
    Colemanchu and his acquisition of Perez to add to his already stout starting rotation.​
    • What offseason moves or signings do you feel moves a contender to the top of the KnightNoles GM of the Year award?
    NeuroticTruth will be paying for the Wayne Barnes trade forever... I don't know when he'll relinquish the reigns of this title. :p
    • Who is the favorite player on your team and would you say they are the face of your team? If not... who is?
    I love Jason Parrish. He's an all around super star. I am happier than hell to have Jorge Rivera close up shop at the end of games too. But from game to game, I think I really root most for Kevan Smith. He's been a gold glover behind the plate, averages 30+ HR's every year... He's a rock.​
    • Pick the division winners across MLB and the NBL.
    AL:
    East – O’s
    Central – Twins
    West – Angels

NL:
    East – Nationals
    Central – Brewers (time to show 2019 was for real)
    West – DBags

NBL:
    Pacific – Fukuoka Hawks
    Central - BayStars - will always pick them too... Went to a game once... It's really weird there.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 3