2022 AL East

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by soxandgators, Jul 12, 2013.

1. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Lets keep it brief and too the point. Spend 30 minutes in your life and breakdown your team previews for us all. Here is a good outline to follow to keep it simple and to the point. Nippon join us and do a division thread also lots of us are interested in the league and don't know much about it.

1. Last seasons final thoughts and review

2. Roster loses

3. Roster additions

4. Offensive preview

5. Pitching preview

6. Rookie watch ( rookies who have a legit shot at a major league debut this year)

7. Final predictions for your division top to bottom (wins-loses) And playoff predictions for the dugout.

2. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

It doesn't get much better than a world series win. Things finally came together for us and we made a run from the wild card spot to the title. Now the question is, can we do it again? It won't be easy as all of the other contenders in the AL made improvements.

2. Roster loses

None.

3. Roster additions

-SS/2B Brock Holt - Holt somewhat of an "impulse" addition, we didn't want to give up the comp pick but he is a game changing talent, and it kept the O's from getting him. (y)
    -SP Javier Rios - We took a big chance giving a foreign player with no MLB experiece such a big contract. So far, so good. He helps solidify our rotation, bumping Whitenton and Norris down a spot to 4th and 5th in the rotation. This should be the best rotation we've ever had.
    -OF Zolio Almonte - Almonte is an on base machine that will help set the table for our big bats in the middle of the lineup.
    -OF David Brooks - Brooks was an unheralded pickup in the Rule 5 draft. He's been solid so far and he will be our utility OF when everyone is healthy.
    -C Abel Baker - Baker is our new backup catcher, replacing Joe Mauer. Hopefully he won't need to play too much.

4. Offensive preview

We should be pretty darned good this year with Curt James and Mehlinger setting the table for the big bats of Holt, Frenzel, Figueroa, and Broaca. The bottom half of the order leaves a little to be desired, but we should be improved offensively over last season.

5. Pitching preview

Our pitching staff is solid, probably the best we've ever had as mentioned above. Our bullpen is still a concern though as we struck out on all off the relief arms we went after. I thought we could count on Stroud as our closer but he has been inconsistent and we may need to look at picking up someone else either via trade or FA next offseason.

6. Rookie watch ( rookies who have a legit shot at a major league debut this year)

If all goes well and we can stay relatively healthy, we shouldn't have any rookies making their debut this season. Only two guys would be close, 3B Monty Fuller and P Frank Clark (although technically Clark made his debut last year in 5 games).

7. Final predictions for your division top to bottom (wins-loses) And playoff predictions for the dugout.

Orioles - 97-65
    Yankees - 90-72
    Red Sox - 81-81
    Blue Jays - 70-92
    Rays - 63-99

ALCS - O's vs Astros
    NLCS - Brewers vs Marlins
    World Series - Brewers in 6 over the O's

• Like Like x 1
  3. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

We had a good team and captured another division title, but losing in the ALDS stung a little bit. We had already printed up shirts with the Oriole Bird and Mr. Boh talking about the three-peat.

2. Roster loses
    SP Tyson Ross
    SP Johnny Cueto
    1B Nick Ramirez

3. Roster additions
    SP Kevin Gausman
    SP Jou Motonishi

We needed SP, so we went out and got 2 of the best guys on the market. Gausman was the best pitcher available in FA, and we were incredibly happy to get him signed to a fairly reasonable deal. Motonishi is a 41 year old NPB vet who will likely only be in Baltimore for 1 season, but going out and upgrading that spot for this season was something we felt we needed to do to keep up with the Yankees.

4. Offensive preview
    We hit ball. It go far. Maybe over fence. Probably over fence.

Assuming we're healthy (a big if), I think that this is the best offense in baseball. Wayne Barnes is an emerging superstar, Dave Moore is a 2 time MVP, Johnny Alexander is one of the best power hitters in the game, and Dave Harris is showing why the club traded Nick Ramirez to make space for him. The rest of the lineup is filled with guys who may "only" be 3-4 win players.

5. Pitching preview
    I think our rotation will be very good this year. Gausman is a known quantity at the top, and if not for Kershaw, he may own a few Cy Youngs. Motonishi, Ogawa, and Montemayor are 2-4 and while all have pitched well thus far and all are possible all-stars, each has some reasons to be concerned. Ogawa is prone to giving up the long ball, Monty has lost some velocity, and Motonishi may break his hip falling down the stairs or something. David Beare has the last rotation spot for now, but its a tenuous grasp. He hasn't pitched well in the rotation yet, and if he falters, we have a couple of young arms who are ready to take his place.

SP Jeff Peale
    SP Rodger Brooks

Both are solid options in case Beare is forced to make a move back to the bullpen.

Yankees 101-61
    Orioles 99-63
    Blue Jays 75-87
    Red Sox 73-89
    Rays 65-97

Yankees repeat by beating the Marlins in the WS.

4. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

1. Last seasons final thoughts and review: The year started out great with an 18-8 mark after April. May - July was downright miserable going 20+ games down under .500. Rebounded the last month and a half to only end up 8 games under in a tough AL East. I did take a kidney punch in the second to last sim when rotation stalwart Carson Kelly went down with Tommy John surgery right after I gave him an extension. Seeing him on a beach drinking vs working on rehabbing does not instill me with the confidence he will return good as new.

2. Roster loses - The only big loss was Iampos who I sent to San Diego to get Banda. Lost a bunch of 29 year old roster filler that isn't worth typing about.

3. Roster additions - Tyson Ross, John Stilson, and Madison Bumgartner in the rotation, and a revolving door of 'talent' in the bullpen and lineup, save the 1 yr resign on Derick Dietrich. I am churning guys to see who wants to play and who is washed up. It is a process... Oh, and the 17 guys I signed in the International FA market. Can someone say lottery tickets??? (scratch off variety)

4. Offensive preview - The offense is a work in progress. I am trying to understand where everyone's sweet spot is in the lineup and how to balance this with where people should be playing on defense. Log jammed in a couple areas and ight in few others.

5. Pitching preview - Putrid with a solid bullpen.. News at 11

6. Rookie watch ( rookies who have a legit shot at a major league debut this year) Outfielder Rafael Cruz is getting his AAA tuneup for a possible June promotion. It is also decided that Luis Pena needed some more AAA time to work on his control. Other then that, most of the other players are at least a year away.

Orioles - World Series
    Yankees - WC
    Blue Jays
    Red Sox
    and me....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1