2023 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Aug 19, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

The Dugout

Spring Training is upon us, and Opening Day is tomorrow. Anticipation is high across the league, as ANYONE realistically has a shot to win in both the MLB and the NPBL. Local writers are anxious to hear about your team. So please take some time to answer some questions about your team, and the league itself.

If you remember last year, The Orioles once again won the World Series. Giving them an unprecedented 3 Championships. The defending champion New York Yankees were beaten in the Wild Card round as Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw had quite possibly his worst game of the season.

Both Kansas City and Detroit were subsequently brushed aside by our AL Juggernauts (Houston and Baltimore) to force what should have been an epic ALCS. Unfortunately, there was no suspense as Baltimore crushed Houston.

In the National League, The Pirates would get a walk-off win over the Diamondbacks in the Wild Card round and would shock the world by beating the heavily favored Brewers. The Phillies were no match for the Giants which set up an improbably Giants vs Pirates NLCS. The Pirates would continue their magical season and capture their first NL Pennant since 1979.

They nearly pulled an upset of epic proportions in the World Series. Down 3 games to zero, they would fight back and force a dramatic Game 7. Unfortunately it was not to be as the Orioles would pull this one out and hoist the trophy for the 3rd time in 4 years.

In the Nippon Professional Baseball Leauge, The Orix Buffaloes (Baltimore Far East) ran away with the Pacific League. In the Central Leauge, it took 163 games for the Yokohoma Bay Stars to squeak out a win over the Chuinichi Dragons.

The NPBL Cup was no contest. Injuries and a far better Buffaloes team made the Championship and easy one as Orix captured their first NPBL Cup.

And now...

On to the questions:

1. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?

2. How do you think these changes should affect you this year?

3. With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2022?

4. Predict the finish for the teams in your division?

5. How competitive do you think your division is?

6. Best Hitter and Pitcher in the division?

7. What do you feel is the toughest and easiest division in the league?

8. Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and tell me why they will win?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Hey I out-hit the O's in the series, but "Crushed" by them over-rated HR hitters.

On to the questions:

1. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?
    We lost a ton this offseason, close to 12 WAR. Longoria's GG defense + .390 OBP and 20 HR's were let go because of his contract demands. Armando Flores (1st pick in my GM career) was let go after having a great season, his injury proneness, contract demands and the fact we had some youngsters coming through made the decision necessary. Some very nice complementary pieces (Juan Torres, Brad Miller) were also allowed to walk. Only 1 pickup in the market, 1B Stanley Bena to replace Torres. Hope his power and pull tendency will play in my park.

I don't expect to win 100 game again, but Romo should be able to give a boost to the lineup and Gilberto Gonzalez looks to take Armando Flores' spot. I should still be a favorite in the West but the distance will close some.

3. With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2022?

I think the A's will get that playoff spot this year, they have a solid lineup and good pitching.

Houston/Oakland/Seattle/Texas/LA

Seattle/LA are probably 2 of the worst teams in the league right now. Overall, I think the A's are the only team that can challenge my reign.

Best Hitter - Pablo Sandoval (gets better with age)
    Best Pitcher - Roberto Gabriel (OAK) or Osman Gutierrez (HOU)

Toughest - NL Central
    Easiest - AL West

Brew Crew - They have had some good regular season runs and are due to cash in finally and Odorizzi will win the Cy Young.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. PAgamer07

4. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

In Kansas City we lost 2B Kolten Wong. He was a great fielder and a good bat but we werent going to pay him 17mil to stay. With him gone, Tom Harris moves from 1st to 2nd and Clay goes from DH to 1B. We will have a new DH soon enough but for now Gunnar Coleman will be the DH. Terry Ashe takes over CF and Nathaniel Lewis moves to LF. RF is up for grabs in Spring training. Only addition to the Starting staff is Kukuk. He'll be the ace. Our former ace Tyler Anderson will move to the #3 while the Reverend locks down the 2nd spot.

I think our offense will be improved with the addition of a lefty gap hitter in Ashe and another big HR hitter at DH. We lost HR production from Clay last year and no one besides Ocampo knew how to take it deep.

3. With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it before?

Oakland might have a shot at it since Houston lost a few guys but i doubt it. Houston will most likely still win their division, Baltimore will win theirs, who knows who will win the AL Central but i bet 2 teams from AL Central make playoffs again.

4. Predict the finish for the team in your division?

Royals - 94-68
    DET - 91-71
    MIN - 84 - 78
    CLE - 75 - 87
    CHI - 74 - 88

I think the AL Central is the most competitive division in ML right now. The NL Central might be a very close 2nd. Whether or not that is because we are so good or so bad is irrelevant.

Kukuk and Clay / Ocampo / Harris of course.

I feel like AL East is the toughest in terms of best teams, but competition-wise i feel like AL Central is toughest hands down. Baltimore and NYY are both top 5 teams and Toronto isnt an easy win either. Easiest division goes to AL West

Kansas City, and we beat Milwaukee in 6 because Parrish gets injured and Odorizzi tanks for his former team.

In all seriousness Baltimore wins again because they are too stacked at every position to not win it all. No one can really compete with them right now.

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Los Angeles Angels

(Didn't get this tag btw)

We made two big moves this offseason - we lost our franchise player 2B Huck Donahue, 1B Antonio Moreno, and SP Fabio Martinez. The moves didn't come as a surprise to anyone, as the owner has made it clear he's in full rebuild mode. The Angels got a slew of excellent prospects in return, but the only ones that look likely to contribute right away are 1B Jose Costa and LF Jason Murdock.

Makes a bad team worse. I wasn't going anywhere, so the moves were made to give me a chance in a few years.

San Diego? Not sure. Boom or bust for him I think, but the potential is there.

1. Houston 2. Seattle 3. Oakland 4. Texas 5. Los Angeles

Probably the least competitive.

Pablo Sandoval (HOU) and Roberto Gabriel (OAK)

Toughest: NL Central
    Easiest: AL West

Yankees - very impressed with their staff and overall depth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PAgamer07

7. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Yup

8. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I've been out of action for most of the offseason and people don't seem to want what I am selling, so the team hasn't had any noticeable changes.

Haven't had any changes yet but I'm hoping to unload talent for prospects by the all star break.

Of course, the 4 team playoff will make the field much larger. The second spot in the Pacific seems to be pretty wide open.

Orix, Seibu, Fukoaka, Tohoku, Chiba, Hakkaido, Yamato

I think that we are the lesser of the two divisions overall, but it's not that different.

Kurota is the best pitcher, Harada is the best hitter.

The Central is a little bit stronger than the Pacific.

Orix because of pitching.

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Status quo for the most part. We lost some minor pieces (platoon DH Victor Bautista is probably most notable) and added some small pieces like Albert Pujols and Dustin Lawley. The biggest offseason acquisition for Baltimore was Clayton Connor. His bad year in his walk season obviously hurt his value, but we still think he can be a very productive hitter.

Hopefully, they won't. My team was the best in baseball last year, and the minor upgrades I've made shouldn't do much to affect what we've already built. The main concerns for Baltimore are the 3-5 spots in the rotation. Motonishi and Montemayor are coming up on the end of their careers, and neither is really as good as they once were. League average production from them would be more than ok. The #5 spot will be decided in spring training in a battle between Jeff Peale and Julio Pacheco. Pacheco has a slight leg up based on his production last year, but Peale is the guy with the higher long term value and the guy we'd like to win the job.

Toronto. They certainly had an eventful offseason, and I think Shimada is a guy who can be an all-star this year.

NYY/Baltimore/Toronto/Tampa/Boston

It's the toughest in baseball. NYY and Baltimore are the 2 best teams in all of baseball and Toronto is certainly a playoff contender. No other division can claim such strength at the top.

Best Hitter- Doesn't it have to be reigning AL MVP Dave Harris
    Best Pitcher- And this one sort of has to be the reigning AL Cy Young winner in Clayton Kershaw

Toughest- AL East
    Easiest- AL Central. The west at least has one good team. The central has maybe half of one.

NYY gets their 2nd with what is (in my opinion) the best pitching staff in all of baseball and an offense that is somewhere in the top 5.

10. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I always pick Toronto for this but I have no faith left in sonn .

• Like Like x 3
  11. PAgamer07

Maybe leave the dugout user group and join back up? Other than that, I have no idea. Perhaps Shaun Mason has a suggestion?

12. sonn

sonn Walk On

That just means you're the jinx.

13. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

Well damn.

14. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

We really only made 2 changes this offseason. We wanted to improve our starting pitching but weren't all that impressed with the free agents available and especially not at their cost. After missing out on Trever Bauer, we decided to change our approach. We started looking to move LF Rob Johnston, LF Tyler Massey, and CF Alfred Ricaba in exchange for a good SP. What made this possible was targeting CF Nomar Mazara in Free Agency. Johnston and Ricaba were our starting CFs all of last season and signing Mazara would make them expendable. Feeling confident about being able to sign Mazara, we made the move and traded those 3 players along with a SP for 27 year old SP Jonathon Torres from the Padres. Then we did sign Mazara to finish off the plan.

There weren't many changes but I think it's going to make a big difference for us. While Johnston had a very good season last year, Mazara's deep threat in Coors should be very dangerous and losing 3 good OFs shouldn't hurt too much with our OF depth. The addition of Torres is huge since we've struggled to add quality SPs to our team over the years. The SP staff has been horrible ever since I took over, but this is by far the best SP staff I've had now with Torres and the return of Ramon Ramos from injury.

I'd love to say the Rockies, but I do think the A's are the best choice here. They were very close last year and the Astros are starting to fall off some.

1. Giants
    2. Dodgers
    3. Rockies
    4. Diamondbacks
    5. Padres

I think the NL West will be the most competitive division this year. Now that the D-Backs have fallen off some and the rest of us have all improved, I really think the NL West is up for grabs and any of the 5 teams could take the crown.

Hitter - Don McMillan
    Pitcher - Danny Hultzen

Toughest - NL Central
    Easiest - AL West

Baltimore Orioles. If anything, they're improved from last year and should be the clear favorites to get their 4th championship in 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Didn't change much. My big acquisition last year, Cade Mack, pretty much ate up what remaining money I had left. I did add a mediocre Japanese closer in Muneyaki Ishida who should provide some stability to the back end of the bullpen.

Having Mack for a full season should really help my rotation. With Mack, Sanchez, a steadily progressing Sidotti and Matt Long, I think I could have one of the better rotations in the National League.

If Colorado can get any pitching (big if), the Rockies could potentially surprise. That lineup has the potential to match the power of last year's Orioles.

1. Brewers
    2. Pirates
    3. Cardinals
    4. Reds
    5. Cubs

Very competitive. With the Cubs improving, there really isn't a terrible team in the division. Add the best team in the National League in the Brewers and last season's NL Champion Pittsburgh Pirates, I think you have the best division in baseball.

Best Hitter - Jason Parrish
    Best Pitcher - Jed Bradley

Toughest- NL Central
    Easiest- AL West

Brewers. It is time.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PAgamer07

A very, very uneventful offseason. We are at our max in terms of payroll, so we could not add much via free agency. We tried to work a couple of trades, but really couldn't make the team much better.

We lost one of our best relievers the last two years in MR/SP Kris Medlen. Medlen was a castoff from the Braves and pitched absolutely fantastic for us. When someone would go down in the rotation, he was there to step up. He pitched well in any situation, and was one of my best relievers from the #1 BP the last two years. We also lost LOOGY MR Enny Romero.

We added a dominant LOOGY in MR Manobu Kudo who will be much, much better than Romero was. We really like his splits vs LHB and feel he will be a key guy in late inning pressure situations.

We always seem to figure out our bullpen by July and hit our stride. We have a lot of guys to work with. I wish we could have added another bat here or there, but being handcuffed financially, we can't. I think we will be able to grab another wild card spot, but we just don't have the horses to compete with the Brewer$$$

The Mets. Drifterbub's team fell apart down the stretch, but outside of Matt Harvey, didn't really lose much. They had a busy offseason, and although didn't add any big names, you have to like their chances.

Brewer$$$/Pittsburg/Cinci/Chicago/St. Louis

It used to be one of the toughest in baseball. But Cincinnati and St. Louis are both trending downward from the good 'ole days. I think the Cubs are on the rise, and the high rolling Brewers are overpaid and overperforming. I'd certainly rank it in the top half, but it's not as tough as it was to start the league or the last 3 years.

Best Hitter- Tim Rivers. This dude is a beast
    Best Pitcher- Probably Ivan Martinez. When healthy and he is "on" there isn't a better pitcher in the division

Toughest would have to be the AL East. Having to face Baltimore and the Yankees 21 times per year have to be tough. A shame the rest of the teams in that division suck, but those two are the class of the division.

Easiest would be the AL Central. Outside of a fluke 2021 and 2012 season, this division has been a laughing stock. Cleveland is in perpetual #teepeetankjob mode. The White Sox rebuild every year. Detroit walks with Dinosaurs. The Royals have been a surprise and seem to have a good manager. The Twins used to be good, but are now feeling the effects of being in a small market.

Baltimore. Until they consistently start losing or start having some bad luck, there isn't a better team on paper. I really wish one of the National League teams could compete, but they can't. Milwaukee is close, but something always happens to them in the Playoffs and they fall apart.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Make sure you're still joined to the user group.

18. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

SWEET CHIBA

1. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys? We tried to trim the budget and aim to have a profitable year. Most of our key players return. We are going to lean on some rookies this year so it'll probably be an up-and-down kind of season. FA agency wasn't kind and we couldn't convince anyone worthy to come on over to the sweet Chiba way.

2. How do you think these changes should affect you this year? I expect to play .500 ball is what I expect by seasons end. We could put together a run like last year and surprise once again.

3. With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2022? I think Chiba could surprise. We are never high on anyone's list, yet the team plays good ball.

4. Predict the finish for the teams in your division? Orix, Chiba, Seibu, Tohoku, Fukuoka, Yamato, Hokkaido

5. How competitive do you think your division is? We have won the first two Trophies, so the Pacific League in my mind rates higher than the under achieving Central

6. Best Hitter and Pitcher in the division? Best hitter is Burns from Orix and the the Best SP is Li'l Abner from Chiba. He is a young phenom leading the league in K's his first two seasons in the league. Think Japanese version of the Ryan Express.

7. What do you feel is the toughest and easiest division in the league? Pacific for the Win
    8. Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and tell me why they will win? Orix- Rob Burns and company do it again.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

Absolutely nothing changed.

Well things should more or less be the same. Everyone got a little older is all.

Maybe me, but I'm not too confident.

Houston/Oakland/Texas/Seattle/Los Angeles

Ours isn't too sharp. Houston is still dominant and I'm hanging on behind him. But Seattle and Texas are edging closer. LA is looking at the long-run right now. The really long-run.

Roberto Gabriel is my boy. This will probably be my last season with him so I'm hoping it's a good one.

Pablo Sandoval is the guy I want on my team.

AL East seems like a nightmare. AL Central and West are competing for poorness.

AL has got to lose eventually so I'll say the Brewers.

• Like Like x 2
  20. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

[​IMG]

The Giants decided to let 2B Steve Lombardozzi venture into free agency. His defensive skills deteriorated and he lacked speed. If his defense didn't decline, it would have been nice to keep him for his OBP. C Buster Posey, 2B Odubel Herrera, and 3B Robel Garcia are all on the downside of their career and declined slightly in the offseason. The Giants bullpen was toward the middle of the NL last season and management decided to use their $40 mln cushion to help bolster the pen. That led to the signing of Nippon League star Sadakuno 'Commy' Eida. With a nickname like 'Commy', San Fran was a perfect fit. Last season, the Giants only had one left handed starter in the rotation, Danny Hultzen. This season, Mike 'Sliding Billy' Smith was signed to a 3 year deal to throw 90-100 pitches per game. He has a wrecked injury history, so keeping his innings down will be extremely important.

It's do or die this season for the Giants. Many of the team's stars are on the decline and the farm system was sold to try to make a run at a title. San Diego and Colorado seem to be trending upwards in the division as SF and Arizona get old and need to retool.

I'll agree with PAgamer07 and give Drifterbub the nod. He was close last year and may break through this year.

SF - Ari - COL- SD - LAN

The league has basically been dominated by SF and Arizona since The Dugout was started in the 2012 season. LA won the division and the only NL WS title in 2013 with an absentee owner and a filthy staff that included Kershaw and Billingsley. It appears things are changing and the other teams may start catching up, unless they get stuck in bad financial situations. The league will be one of the most competitive if SF and Arizona can rebuild quickly.

Pitcher - SF Giants Danny Hultzen (19-8 2.43 ERA last season and Cy Young winner)
    Hitter - LF Juan Chavez (Averages 34 HR 103 RBI and 154 OPS+ in his career over 162 games and is a great fielder). Honorable mention to Tomshaw (ARI) and McMillan (COL).

Toughest up top is the AL East. Most even teams in terms of talent and budgets is probably the AL Central. Easiest would be the AL West or NL East.

Baltimore, until it's proven that they are on the decline.

• Like Like x 2
  21. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

In the offseason we could not retain SP Cole Nelson. After negotiating we could not come to terms so he tested the FA waters and got paid by the Boston Redsox. Another loss was 3.2 WAR 1B Matthew Bass in a trade with Tampa Bay. With Guibert Cavallaro MLB ready and plays better defense the organization felt good about trading Bass. What they acquired was C Elijah Schmitz and thank goodness we did because Chet Anderson went down in Spring Training. The DOdgers did pick up 6.8 WAR in the offseason by signing backup 1B Juan Torres, OF John Givens, and MR Gabriel Encinas. Coach Saw was able to work a deal with San Diego and got middle infielder Dae-Yun Park. We are excited to put a better hitting team on the field, I just hope our pitching stays healthy.

Well our bats should improve vastly, my worry is our pitching staff. The pitching staff stayed about the same and if one our guys goes down we could be in trouble. The best part is that Mike 'Froggy' Parker showed the coaching staff enough to put him in the #4 spot.

Colorado in the NL and Oakland in the AL. The Rockies have a great and powerful lineup, and with Coors Field being a home run hitters dream they should put up some big numbers. The only concern is how will the pitching staff produce. Right now they have five left handed starters ready to go and show they all belong in the rotation. Out of the two Oakland probably has the better shot at the playoffs. They are a lot more balanced and have a tremendous pitching staff.

Giants/Rockies/Dodgers/Dbacks/Padres

With the falling off of Arizona it is anyone's ball game now. I agree with Hal that we might have one of the most competitive division in the league!

Best Hitter: Don McMillan
    Best Pitcher: Roberto Perez

Toughest: AL East
    Easiest: AL West with the Central being a close 2nd

World Series Winner: Baltimore Orioles, lets see if anyone can dethrone them this year.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

[​IMG]

23. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

[​IMG]

1. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys? The last bad contract has finally been taken off the books from previous management, Kyle Blanks, now I feel we can move forward. We also parted ways with 3B Luis Jimenez, on the addition side we added 3b Corey Seager and SP Alberto Sanchez.

2. How do you think these changes should affect you this year? Im sure having a more productive third baseman will definitely help and adding starting pitching is always a good thing.

3. With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2022? I think the Oakland has a good chance to make the playoffs with a solid pitching staff they just need some more offense.

4. Predict the finish for the teams in your division? Oakland-Houston-Texas-LosAngeles-Seattle

5. How competitive do you think your division is? Not very, dont think any of the bottom teams are ready to challenge yet
    6. Best Hitter and Pitcher in the division? Pitcher-Oaklands Roberto "SPUNK" Gabriel just needs some more run support to get the wins he deserves. batter- Some how the old Panda is still delivering Pablo Sandoval

7. What do you feel is the toughest and easiest division in the league? Ithink the central division in the NL and AL are both the toughest in there respective leagues while the NL Central is probable the toughest overall

8. Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and tell me why they will win? I think the Pittsburgh Pirates make it back to the World Series and pitching overcomes hitting and the NL pull out a World Series for the 1st time in 9 seasons

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  24. PAgamer07

Hahaha. Thanks for the vote of confidence. If not for two big injuries in Milwaukee, I would have been beaten by them. Also, it took a walk-off HR to beat the Diamondbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1