2026 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by BigSmooth33, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]

1. Recap last years team? Did you over-achieve or under-achieve?
    2. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?
    3. How do you think these changes should affect you this year?
    4. Whose a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year?
    5. Predict the finish for the teams in your division?

6. If you had 1 pick to start your franchise with at this point in the Dugout who would it be? Contract/Age taken into consideration *Can't be on your team
    7. Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and tell me why they will win?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

Bad News Bears.

2. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?
    Bringing in Three Fingers and Pablo Sandoval on equally ridiculous contracts. Angels have seen their budget decrease dramatically over the last 3 seasons, and now are desperate to win. SP Bill McIlvride will also start the year on the big league ball club.

Can't get much worse. Depending on the progress of some of my prospects (who I hope will be called up near the deadline), I'm HOPING this is a .500 ball club, give or take 5-10 wins/losses.

4. Whose a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year?
    Break out? Not sure. McIlvride I suppose - the former #2 overall pick has looked very solid working his way up the system. I also could be seeing SS Chris Walls, SP Burt Campbell, and SP Larry Langely at some point this season. All have outstanding potential.

1. Houston
    2. Oakland
    3. Los Angeles (Whatevs)
    4. Texas
    5. Seattle

6. If you had 1 pick to start your franchise with at this point in the Dugout who would it be? Contract/Age taken into consideration *Can't be on your team
    David Taylor - a player I was one loss away from having for myself :(

soxandgators with the repeat because he's a better tanker than I am

• Like Like x 2
  3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

upload_2013-12-14_21-38-23.png

I honestly feel like my squad completely overachieved. From 2024's roster overhaul and dropping more big names in 2025, I was extremely happy with the squad's performance. Lopez, Bland, and Gonzales all performed way better than expectations, and the young gloves provided the top defense in the NL last year.
    upload_2013-12-14_21-41-18.png
    RF Leon Rodriguez was signed late in Free Agency from the Chicago White Sox. Signed to a one year deal, the front office felt he will replace Wesley Washington in the outfield from an offensive standpoint.
    upload_2013-12-14_21-42-46.png
    C Ron Burke will be given full opportunity to lead behind the plate full time now that fan favorite Kevan Smith has moved on to the Nippon League. Burke has been smashing the baseball in the minors the past few seasons waiting for his opportunity in the bigs.

It'll be interesting, but I think we at minimum will remain competitive and barring major injury, will compete for the Wild Card again. May need to make a move for another starting pitcher or move up one of the young arms from Nashville.
    Ron Burke is our main candidate. He hit 7 HR's in spring training this year, one off the spring training lead.

Pittsburgh
    St. Louis
    Milwaukee
    Chicago
    Cincinnati

Spooks... The guy's ratings and performance have been fully ridiculous.

I'm going to go with Atlanta. I refuse to pick an AL squad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Definitely underachieved. Injury bug hit bad. Hirano came back late in the year and stepped right in as a stud after Tommy John, but missing every big bat at one point in the year but Ikeda and Sadakuno Yamasaki and having Yasunari Kodo have a major injury hurt bad.
    I didn't lose much. Curt Agan and Maikel Cleto were allowed to walk for free agency, which opened the door for us to add Nathan Eovaldi as our 5th starter and Rafael Figueora to fill in the giant hole at catcher. Former first round pick Hideyori Kamihara has been given the starting shortstop job that Agan held. Ryu Maeda (catcher) and Kozue Tanaka (relief) were brought in through trade to help out and the bullpen was retooled with more mediocre arms. Couldn't bring anybody in because my owner is an asshat who won't give me money.
    I'm a bit worried about the bullpen, but the rotation is extremely strong. I'm not sure if Kamihara is ready to take over, but he's getting a shot at the job. Catcher is a definite improvement with Figueora taking over, and the outfield is still strong. Ikeda is the best power hitting lefty in Japan and Yamasaki is a beast at DH.
    I'm hoping Kamihara breaks out, but he's the only real breakout candidate I have. The only other guy who could have a breakout year is Yoriyoshi Yoshioka, who has had 2 back to back fantastic seasons but could turn into a top 5 pitcher this season. Akinari Nakai is very close to being ready for at least a bullpen assignment, and if Kamihara can't get it going, I have 3 other youngsters who I can give a shot to.
    I honest have to put myself first. I'm just not impressed with the rest of the division at all.
    Yokohama
    Tokyo
    Chunichi (They have the talent, but the GM is clueless)
    Hanshin (Is this finally the year they break through with all those high end picks?)
    Hiroshima (Could be a playoff team)
    Yomiuri
    Kishu (Are the settings off for the CPU to control these guys? It's a MESS)
    Naruhiko "Rascal" Nakagawa. Dude is a total beast, durable, and has a good contract. Only pitcher I would rather have is Handsome Jack, but he's expensive.
    Fukuoka wins it. That team is STACKED. Wick really busted out the checkbook this year (must be nice).

• Like Like x 2
  5. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

I think we under-achieved. I really liked my opening day roster last season and thought we had a legitimate shot to win the division. The pitching staff really struggled though and our offense couldn't perform enough to close the gap from their shortcomings. This caused a change in roster focus midway through last season as we traded away some of our higher priced pitching talent so we could turn that money toward improving the offense.

There were tons of changes dating back to the start of last season. We have a new C, 1B, 2B, 3B, and CF and have called up 3 young SPs. In just the offseason, we were big time spenders acquiring 2 of the top offseason FAs in CF Wesley Washington and 3B Conrad Tomshaw. We also signed C Miguel Gonzalez who will come in and be a nice bat for us.

Well, it depends on how well this focus on offense works. I could see us anywhere from winning the division to being one of the worst teams in the NL, lol. I'm hopeful that our offense will be too much for any team to overcome in Coors. If we can average 6-7 runs a game, then I think we'll be a playoff team easily.

No real prospects, but I'm hoping 1B Graviel Cea can make a big impact this year. Throughout the minors, he tended to have a so-so first stint at each level and then followed it up with a solid campaign at that same level the next season. He got his first MLB playing time last season and was so-so. If he can step his production, he would be able to play a big role for us this season.

1. Rockies
    2. Padres
    3. Giants
    4. Dodgers
    5. Diamondbacks

CF Alejandro Paez. Not only is he a machine offensively, he's probably the best defender in baseball.

Nobody was hotter in the 2nd half of last season and into the playoffs than the White Sox. It would be foolish to pick anyone else at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  6. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

[​IMG]

Last year's team over-achieved. The Giants finished 88-74 and won the division for the third time in the last four years. The team was buoyed by outstanding fielding and pitching all season, while runs were created by aggressive base running.

There were quite a few changes in the bay area this season. 3B Robel Garcia was picked up midseason last year and ended up being productive, however, he was not as productive as his $10 mln salary request. He was allowed to test the free agency waters. Also, star pitcher Danny Hultzen was moved to Houston before spring training. Hultzen won 69 games in 4 1/2 seasons for the Giants, including the 2022 Cy Young. He was always solid and rarely missed starts. His presence will be missed. In return for Hultzen, SF received major league ready CF Elijah Reyes. Reyes will hit in the leadoff spot for the club. The organization also brought back long time former Giant Ricky Oropresa. Oropresa tested the free agency waters in 2025, but was not picked up by any club. He had a good spring, but we'll see if it translates into production in the 2026 season.

The changes will probably be slightly negative in the near term, but should free up cap space next season and allow for another run in 2 seasons. Management decided they couldn't win the world series with the current players and needed to move Hultzen to retool the lineup.

The Giants are hoping for big things from CF Elijah Reyes. He will be expected to get on base and run. SP Liam Best will start the season as the fifth starter in his first full big league season. 2B Andy Hornby was picked up in a trade with the Brewers last season and will start this season.

1. San Diego
    2. San Francisco
    3. Colorado
    4. Arizona
    5. Los Angeles

White Sox - Team is still loaded.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

How'd he do in spring training?

8. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Didn't do much. Hit .175 with a .300 OBP.

9. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

[​IMG]

The Seibu Lions achieved their preseason goal of winning the Nippon Championship, so we definitely achieved what we set out to do. The team caught fire after the All-Star break, particularly the pitching staff, and stormed from 6 games back in the division and outlasted the Hokkaido Ham Fighters in game 163 to take the crown. We got 101 games the year before and were bounced out of the first round of the playoff in embarrassing fashion - last year we won 99 games and sealed the deal.

Seibu lost two of their better players from their championship run in the offseason in SP Yu Darvish and 1B Hyosuke Morimoto. They both were seeking huge contract extensions and Seibu decided to use the money to sign other role players and increase depth. Both were signed by other Nippon squads despite some speculation that they could be MLB-bound, thus giving Seibu 4 extra draft picks due to those guys being Type A free agents. Seibu will have 6 draft picks in the first two rounds, thus beginning a bit of a youth movement for the team as they look forward to retooling for the future with the pressure of winning a championship lifted off the organization.

The Seibu lineup takes a huge hit with the departure of Morimoto to the rival Fukuoku, no question. But the rest of their high-powered lineup remains in tact outside of him, so I anticipate the team continuing to put up huge numbers on offense despite struggling a bit in the spring. We went out and brought in some stellar pitches to fill the void of Darvish, but the bullpen could struggle this year as we called up two of our better prospects who developed in the minors the last two years in Naizen "Hot-Rod" Ozawa and Ogai Fujihara. We're willing to take some lumps with those guys - it's time for them perform after we let go of a few of the older relievers as we continue to emphasize more youth.

The guys I expect to explode on offense this year have already performed really well for me in the past - I'm really looking forward to seeing how those prospects I called up do in the pen as they begin their career in the majors.

My division is stacked this year - there's 4 or 5 teams who can realistically win the title. Last year, 4 teams won 90 games or more, so I expect the Pacific league to feast on the weak Central league and post huge win totals. I think we will win between 90-95 games this year - a lot of it depends on how well the pen holds up this year and if we can continue to hit like we have the last two seasons.

I gotta go with the SP, "Rascal." Absolute beast with literally no flaws in his repertoire. Building around a top-notch pitcher is a must for any franchise looking to succeed.

I don't think anyone from the Central division stands a chance. The champ is definitely going to come from the Pacific - I predict we make the playoffs for the second consecutive and repeat as Nippon champs winning a tough 6 game series versus the Yokohama BayStars.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

[​IMG]

We went 80-82 after having an awful season before hand. Even though we did not reach .500 we still under-achieved. Injuries have always been the straw that breaks the camel's back for us so hopefully the new acquisitions will help.

O
    ur biggest losses were OF Carlos Gonzalez to Free Agency and C Chet Anderson to a trade. Gonzalez was wanting more than what his production was so we let test out the market. It was really hard letting Chet go but we were able to a solid Infielder and a young pitcher.

The new guys are C Carlos Durango, UTL Dave Smith, OF Rob Johnston, INF Jonas Bader, and SP Ken Jones. Luckily the vacant Catcher position did not stay open for long. With having only offering Durango one time he decided to sign with the Dodgers. What he brings is another gap to gap hitter with some power. UTL Dave Smith is a very versatile player who can play anywhere on the field. Just like Durango he has some great gap power and with his speed and ability to run the bases he should be able turn those doubles into triples. Again with another vacancy LA was able to occupy it with OF Rob Johnston. Johnston plays great defense and his hitting ability is a little better than Gonzalez so we were able to upgrade with not shelling out a lot of cash. Bader is another guy that can play multiple positions in the infield and will be helpful if injuries start piling up.

We brought in some quality guys so hopefully the chemistry gets there right away and we cruise to our first above .500 season.

Breakout candidate: I got to go with SP Mike Parker. He has fallen into some unfortunate situations when he is on the mound but I believe he will get the runs he needs to have a great season.

Prospects: SP Richard Caine. This was a highly debated call up in the organization so he will be watched closely.

1. San Fransico Giants
    2. San Diego Padres
    3. Arizona Diamondbacks
    4. LA Dodgers
    5. Colorado Rockies

3B Juan Pamblanco, he would be a nice fit across the diamond from 1B Guibert Cavallaro. soxandgators :rolleyes:

Gotta go with who is on top right, The Chicago Whitesox​

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Cincinnati-Reds-Mr-Red.jpg

Pretty much expected, sucked.

We signed 2 new pitchers for out starting rotation and they should be an upgrade from what we had last year. We also signed a new 2B to start and 3B Longaria, we are trying to improve defense around the infield.

We will hits tons of homeruns, hoping better defense and pitching will let us improve over last year and get closer to .500 ball

Arrington will have a huge season after a monster rookie year. We are hoping P Zalfia Williams can be called up this year and have an impact.

Cubs
    Pirates
    Cardinals
    Reds
    Brewers

SP David Taylor

YANKEES. and SWALLOWS. Just because.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

[​IMG]

Under-achieved. Was 2 games behind a WC spot heading into September and went 8-20 in the final month #collapse

2. Tell us a little about what changes happened in the off season for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?

Off-loaded ~$30 million+ in contracts to free up funds heading into the future. SP Sale was shipped to New York for OF Santos (AA) and CL Diaz (A). This saved the organization $12 million/year. Negotiations had gone sour and he would no longer discuss a contract extension in Detroit. We were thankful to find him a new home and get something, instead of nothing, in return.

Also shipped SP Faulkner to division rival Chicago for SP Aguilar (SA). This move saved Detroit $17 million/year.

Two new pitchers in the rotation are SP Alvarez (rule V from TB) and SP Mercelino (FA). The hope is these two guys can hold down the bottom end of the rotation until SP John O'finn and his 6, 55+ rating pitches are ready for ML.

We have a new starting outfielder in Joe Hart. Hart will platoon with OF Don Parsons, who are both good defensively, to hold down the outfield in case of the injury bug.

Last we signed a more defensive 1B with great hitting skills in 1B Ron Phillips, who played in STL last year. This move allows us to move Grinaldo to DH.

We shall see. The outfielders both struggled last year with inconsistent play and the pitching dynamic is a toss up. Expect Phillips to be an upgrade defensively at 1B.

It's going to be between the major hitters on this team (Serna, Schloss, Grinaldo, O & Hanson). We have not had two guys have stand out years together, but if that can happen we will secure a wild card comfortably this year.

White Sox
    Tigers
    Twins
    Indians
    Royals

RF Rafael Cruz (TB)

Houston. Picking up Hultzen will have a huge impact

• Like Like x 1