2026 Nippon Draft Grades

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by HarkTheSound, Jan 3, 2014.

1. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

The first three rounds of the NPB League have concluded, and considering the talent level remaining (err, lack thereof), analysts can begin to dissect the decisions of front offices around the league. Draft position, value, and player grade will be the key sticking points in these grades. Disagree with them? Want to defend a player you chose? Make sure to let me know. I'm only grading user teams from the Central League and only rounds 1-3. Roggie will grade the Pacific division.

Yokohama BayStars Roggie

The picks:

Round 1 Pick 8
    [​IMG]

Round 2 Pick 30
    [​IMG]

Round 3 Pick 47
    [​IMG]

The BayStars have an affinity for drafting pitchers in the first round, and that trend continued this season as they selected Daikawa with their first pick. He is already almost ready to contribute - the lefty looks to have a bright future in a Yokohama rotation that is perennially really good. Daikawa should be a very good front of the rotation pitcher, especially since he is a lefty. Only thing I'd scrutinize about this pick is that I would have chosen Ietsuna Miyazaki (who will be discussed later) - other than than, this guy is gonna win his fair share of games.

Yokohama nailed their second round pick, selecting a future DH or platoon bat in Nakagawa. He's got good contact along with above average power - his potential is definitely greater than what some scouts think. I forsee 20-25 home runs a year out of him along with hitting a solid .260 or .270 batting average

"Alchemist" is a great selection in the third round. He's solid but unspectacular. The thing I like most about this pick is the value. Some GMs mistakenly passed on him for some only pitchers that I don't think will turn out as good as Matsuura.

Grade: A-

Hansin Tigers redwings8831

The picks:

Round 1 Pick 9
    [​IMG]

Round 2 Pick 32
    [​IMG]

Round 3 Pick 49
    [​IMG]

Hansin's GM made one of the most puzzling first round selections of the draft. Sure, Kanno is no doubt going to be an outstanding fielder and will probably win fielding awards every season. But for a first-rounder, Kanno is not a great batter and will probably bat below .250 for his career. With who was on the board at the time and where Kanno was drafted, I simply do not like this pick.

Hansin looked to bring in a power bat with their second pick, choosing Uchida, a second baseman who offers a lot of power and slightly above average defense. This felt like a bit of a reach as well - there were some other players I would have taken hit with better contact potential. Second baseman were hard to come by in this draft so so maybe that is why the selection was made. Still, Uchida felt like more of a third round pick, not a second.

Hansin's third-round pick, Oda, was probably their best selection in terms of value. He should develop four solid pitches and average control to go along with ok stuff and movement. For where they got him, I like this pick.

Grade: D+

Chunichi Dragons fuzzyl0gic

The picks:

Round 1 Pick 9
    [​IMG]

Round 2 Pick 31
    [​IMG]

Round 3 Pick 49
    [​IMG]

Although the GM was barely involved in draft activities, the Dragons' management turned in some pretty solid picks. Suzuki is going to be a good, if not great, outfielder with solid baserunning abilities and ok fielding to go along with a stellar bat. Nothing flashy about this pick but Chunichi got who they wanted.

Memoto was their second round selection - though he will probably be a solid player, I am not in love with this pick. His pitching ability is right around average, but his slider is enough to keep most opposing batters off their game. I think he should have been a third round selection. He is still developing though so maybe the potential is there for improvement.

Chunichi selected Ogawa with their third round pick and I really like where they got him. His pitching ability is actually slightly better than Memoto and he has three pretty good pitches to work with. I think he'll be a nice middle reliever in AA for a few years before contributing to a major league pen in the future.

Grade: B-

Hiroshima Carp pitt4life21

The picks:

Round 1 Pick 11
    [​IMG]

Round 2 Pick 33
    [​IMG]

Round 3 Pick 50
    [​IMG]

I think Hiroshima absolutely nailed their first round pick in Miyazaki. I had him among the elite prospects in the entire draft and to get him at 11 is a steal. He's got above average pitching tools with 5 good to great pitches. Great choice.

Miyashita was a good, but not great, selection in the second round. He has 4 good pitches to go along with slightly above average pitching tools. This was a later pick in the second round so what I like most about this choice is the value.

I am doubting Hiroshima's third round choice, if not for the simple fact that Suzuki is demanding $160,000k bonus demand. I don't think that money is worth his talent level at the moment. I think if he developed one more pitch he'd be pretty good, but that demand does not correspond with his skillset.

Grade: A-

Tokyo Swallows OMlawdog

The picks:

Round 1 Pick 14
    [​IMG]

Round 2 Pick 38
    [​IMG]

Round 3 Pick 54
    [​IMG]

Tokyo had a solid draft, but I think they could have done better, Lawdog was clearly going for power with his selection, but he left two other outfielders on the board who I thought were better. Yasuda is more of a project than some of the other outfielders drafted in the first round so if he develops and surpasses his contact potential, this could turn out to be a really good pick. But with what was left on the board, I somewhat question this value.

Araki is another pick that I question somewhat. Not because I don't think he can play - he actually has great contact potential and looks to be a good gap power hitter. But I think he has somewhat of a limited ceiling. He's almost 22 so you know what he's gonna be. Still, he's a solid choice here.

Tokyo's best pick of the draft was the selection of Morita. He's got good pitching ability and has three above average pitches and he could potentially develop a fourth. He's not even 19 yet either, so the potential is there for some definite improvement to his game. Plus, he works really hard at his craft, so I see this kid becoming a good contributor to a major league pen one day.

Grade: B-

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Orix Buffaloes: First Round (1): [​IMG]

Second Round (1): [​IMG]

Third Round (1): [​IMG]

Orix got the best player in the draft with the first overall pick in Miyamoto. The best contact bat in the draft by far with plus power potential, along with high end defense and the ability to play everywhere but first, catcher, and pitcher, all at least at above average levels. Ito is the best catcher in the draft. Not always able to get bat on the ball, but has TREMENDOUS power along with solid defense. Think Dan Uggla but good defensively at his position. Fujihara has a ton of stuff and 6 good to great pitches, but very little movement and no idea where the ball is going. A boom or bust candidate, which does keep them from a perfect grade, but barely.

Grade: A- (Danthraxxx)

Fukuoka Hawks: First Round (7): [​IMG]

Third Round (3): [​IMG]

For a team severely lacking in starting pitching prospects, this draft makes zero sense. Aoki has a chance to be a dominant relief pitcher, but Fukuoka already has one of them in Harada. Also, a top ten pick on a relief pitcher? Huh? Then in the third round, a mediocre bullpen arm in Kiyomizu is drafted when there are still a few decent starter prospects on the board. Fukuoka only has one good starting pitcher in their entire system and have a horrible rotation right now in the majors, so this draft makes absolutely no sense to me. The only reason this isn't an F is due to Aoki being dominant.

Grade: D- (Wick36)

Tohoku Golden Eagles: First Round (13): [​IMG]

Supplemental Round (3): [​IMG]

Round 2 (12): [​IMG]

Round 2 (13): [​IMG]

Round 3 (12): [​IMG]

Oyahashi is a starter that I really like. A lefty who is above average in everything with 3 very good pitches. I had him as a top 10 prospect in this draft. Takata has a shot at being a good #2 pitcher in the future, with fantastic movement and 3 above average pitches and a changeup that's just good enough to be thrown once or twice a game to confuse a batter. Okabe is a decent lefty bat at first with some good pop and solid contact. Oka could be a very good long reliever or 4th starter in the future, as long as he hits his ceiling. Kouda is a very under-appreciated prospect. Has a chance to be a good 3rd outfielder or outstanding platoon bat vs righties.

Grade: A- (JohnnyClutch)

Hokkiado Ham Fighters: First Round (15): [​IMG]

Round 2 (16): [​IMG]

Round 3 (15): [​IMG]

I do like the Sato pick even with Tadanobu Suzuki was still on the board. I had Suzuki a little higher, but Sato was still a top 10 guy in this draft, so good value. He has great power to the gap and over the fences and can avoid striking out. Great defensively as well with good legs. Kouyama was a reach in the second. Good pitchers were still available. Projects as a decent bullpen arm, but nothing more. Nakamura doesn't do much for me at all. Sure, he has a lot of speed, but there's nothing to his batting game that sticks out as better than average. Speedy outfielders with mediocre bats are pretty common, and I would have rather seen them go after one of the decent pitchers remaining.

Grade: C (krtgolfing)

Seibu Lions: First Round (16): [​IMG]

Supplemental Round (5): [​IMG]

Supplemental Round (6): [​IMG]

Round 2 (3): [​IMG]

Round 2 (4): [​IMG]

Round 2 (17): [​IMG]

Round 3 (16): [​IMG]

Seibu had a TON of early round picks in this draft, and capitalized on their picks. Suzuki is a guy who I had 6th on my board. Getting him at 16, especially with their pathetic outfield prospects, is huge. Takeuchi isn't a great value where he was picked, but he has the potential to be a solid #3 in Nippon. Matsumoto is a guy I like more than Takeuchi. A little more of a risk, being a younger guy, but his movement is already fantastic and should just get better. A lack of a 3rd great pitch hurts, but his fastball is good enough to let him be a possible starter. Otani isn't anything special, but he gets the job done. Can play every position but catcher defensively, and is a decent contact bat with solid pop. Kichida is a guy that I like more than Takeuchi. Has 3 plus pitches to go with solid stuff and good control. Not the most movement, but should be enough to get by as at least a bullpen arm. Yamamoto is a solid pick late in the second. Good power to go with decent contact. Projects as a solid platoon at first or DH against righties. Kiyomizu is someone that I love at this value. 2 plus pitches and one very good one to go with solid stuff and movement and acceptable control. Has #4 starter potential, which in this draft, is great value here.

Grade: B+ (HarkTheSound)

Yamato Samurai Reds: Second Round (14): [​IMG]

Round 3 (13): [​IMG]

The lack of a first round pick, along with no extra picks through compensation or failures to sign guys, hurts this draft. Kichida projects as a decent bullpen arm, but there were better options on the board. He was a reach. Tamura is a pretty blah prospect here as well. There wasn't a ton left on the table, but to get a lefty bat with average contact and solid power at a position where players like him are all over makes this pick feel somewhat wasted.

Grade: D+ (electrickeeper)

Thoughts? Complaints? Thank yous? Let's hear them. Want to hear some reasoning from the guys who I gave awful grades to for why they picked how they did.

(Note: Not doing CPU teams. NeuroticTruth gets an A+ for dealing with this pain in the ass draft and not wanting to murder us. Also only doing the first three rounds due to the amount of guys having their 4th rounder and on autoed.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    The choice between Daikawa and Miyazaki was pretty difficult. I took Daikawa because he's a ground ball pitcher. My middle infield is so good defensively that I would rather have the ground ball pitcher (who also throws a very hard cutter, which I love) than a guy who will give up a few more fly balls. But Miyazaki at 11 is probably the best pick in the draft. Neither guy had any business going as low as they did.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Carp with the steal of the draft in Miyazaki. Seeing him fall I was hoping he would drop two more spots to 13.

I think I got a lot of draft picks to build a great future with in pitching. Really needed to some offense, since that's where we are the worst, but didn't see that great of value in hitters in the early rounds. With our ballpark being great to lefties I am hoping Okabe can be a great DH for us.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Hopefully I will be more aware next draft :(

I feel like my team went from hot garbage to overly warm garbage with these picks , so that is nice.

Good stuff Roggie

• Like Like x 1
  6. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

• Like Like x 1