2027 NL MVP Front Runners

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by NeuroticTruth, Feb 14, 2014.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    With just two short months left in the 2027 season, I figured what better time than now to breakdown how things are shaping up in terms of the NL MVP Race:

1B Rivers - Title.png
    1B Rivers - Att.png

Its hard not to like Tim Rivers chances of capturing his second MVP trophy. Its been 4 long years since Rivers first claimed an MVP and with his team leading the NL Central he's easily a prime candidate for another. Hitting cleanup for the Cubbies behind RF Machado has proven to be a potent combination. Rivers is leading the NL in two of three Triple Crown categories (RBIs and HRs) and with only 6 series remaining against teams over .500 (San Diego / New York (Mets) / St. Louis / Atlanta) over the final two months, shows no signs of slowing down.

C Garcia - Title.png
    C Garcia - Att.png

The upstart Mets are leading the NL East and have the 3rd best record in all of baseball, thanks in large part to Garcia. Garcia is asked to do it all for the Mets and does so day in and day out. Garcia's consistency is a large factor in why the Mets have the 5th best offense in the NL, hitting .335 / .420 / .515 on the season so far (and absolutely crushing righties at .354 / .438 / .575 and an OPS+ of 173). If Garcia can stay healthy the Mets should have no problem holding off the Braves and capturing their first NL East crown since 2023.

LF Johnston - Title.png
    LF Johnston - Att.png

Johnston's Dodgers have the best record in the NL and the #1 offense. On a team that has endured its fair share of injuries, Johnston has been the glue that has held things together. With former MVP winner Guibert Cavallaro struggling this year, Johnston has carried the load for the Dodgers. While Johnston doesnt have run away numbers like some of the other candidates, his consistency among the storm makes him a name you cant forget come voting time in my book.

RF Williams - Title.png
    RF Williams Att.png

The trend continues here as another team staple player makes his way on the list. Williams has been huge for the Giants in 2027 as they've proven that small ball isnt dead in The Dugout. The Giants are 6th in the NL in runs, 4th in OBP, and 1st in SB all the while proving that you can still win playing small (despite the addition of the DH). Williams is a large part of that with this team high .313 AVG and .371 OBP. He's also 2nd on the team in RBI's while stealing 37 bases as the Giants continue to push for that wild card spot.

3B Ocampo - Title.png
    3B Ocampo - Att.png

Ocampo cracks the top 5, despite whispers of his imminent downfall early this year. After two quiet years in 2025 and 2026, Ocampo has come back with a vengeance. Along side Jerome Smith, Ocampo is a very large part of why the Padres arent sliding into oblivion this deep into the season. Leading the NL in WAR (among hitters), Ocampo finds himself 3rd in the NL in XBH and TB and 5th in Isolated Power as he trails only Tim Rivers in OPS. If it werent for the Padres struggles this season, Ocampo could easily be considered a favorite for the MVP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable Mention: 1B Larry Arrington (CIN), RF Tetsuo Yamada (ARI), 3B Manuel Lasalvia (ATL), RF Valentin Lopez (MIA).

• Like Like x 8
  2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Tim Rivers has been unbelievable this season. I've heard that he was a slow starter, but he shed that notion this season.

In a recent interview, he thanked ownership for hiring an unknown and making him feel like he has to make up for the new manager's crappy decision making.

• Like Like x 1
  3. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Tough to believe bringing in the DH would change things so quickly. Those are numbers we didn't come close to in previous years in the NL

4. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Lasalvia has been a rock for me as always, but he seems to be suffering from the same power shortage that hit the rest of my team. He's only on pace for 14 HR after hitting 20+ last year.

5. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Whatever little chance Ocampo had just went out the window. Down for 3 weeks after tonights sim. :(

6. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Untitled.png
    Dave Smith.png

I definitely would throw this guy into the mix :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
  8. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Pretty weak argument against him being in top five

9. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    That's not my argument for him not being top 5, I was just pointing it out. IMO he's not even the best offensive player in his team this year, hence why Johnston is in the top 5 instead.

10. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Ocampo would be my favorite but with the injury I'm saying Garcia pulls it out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I've been plagued with injuries in the field this year. What little chance I had to finish at or above .500 went out the window last sim.

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    For my sake, I'm hoping Garcia can stay healthy. He's been a cornerstone of our various levels of success over the past three seasons. His time to shine would be now.

13. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Since we have some managers who aren't following along very closely, I just uncovered this gem..... Arrington with current high game score (tied with Truman Walker) this season of 105

upload_2014-2-18_14-13-45.png

upload_2014-2-18_14-15-12.png

upload_2014-2-18_14-16-8.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Yep, he's the first player in Dugout history with a 4 HR game.

15. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

MVP. Thanks Mas