2028 AP Press Room

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Brogowicz, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Alabama

Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 3.40.12 PM.png

Coach JFunk34 - thanks for taking the time to speak with us today. Alabama struggled at the end of the season last year with a loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl and a tough loss to MSU in the Rose Bowl. How did those losses affect the team and their preparation for this season (S18)?

You've got some big games ahead hosting Florida and travelling to Cincinnati. You managed a big win over Florida last year. Can you make it two in a row?

After the Florida game, you face a very talented Cincy team on the road. These two teams play a very different style of play. Are you concerned about playing back-to-back games against the powerhouses?

You've got quite a stable of talented running backs on your squad. Are you going to be able to keep all that talent happy in that crowded backfield?

Lastly, what the fuck were you wearing at practice the other day?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Wyoming

Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 3.54.01 PM.png

Coach David - thanks for taking our call. Your team looked great at times last season, but you came up short against Florida and had a disapointing finish against Stanford. Derrick Johnson is back for his 5th year (and 4th year as the starter) and a shot at another Heisman trophy, but didn't get off to a great start this year. What should we expect from Johnson the remainder of the season?

After a great start against UVA, the Cowboys struggled against two teams from Ohio - OSU and Ohio. Looking down your schedule, are there any other games you're worried about?

Tell us a little about the young talent on your team - specifically the young receievers that will be fueling this air-raid attack for the next few seasons. You've been loaded with great receivers for many seasons, but we're not sure who is going to be catching all those passes in the seasons ahead.

Speaking of all those passes, who is going to be the next great quarterback in this system?

It looks like you're starting to assemble a core of young, talented defenders - something that seemed to be lacking for this team in the early years of your tenure. What is the current focus of your recruiting efforts? Restocking the passing game or continuing to build out the defense?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Ohio State

Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 4.08.03 PM.png

Coach runthepound - we're happy to have you here with us. After a rocky off-season, we weren't sure if you'd be coaching the Buckeyes this season. It appeared as though you'd be contending for another national title last season, but you were derailed by the Spartans in Indianapolis. What's it going to take to get the Green monkey off your back?

Your recruiting success seems to have followed you Columbus where you've been putting together one great class after another. Where is this team in your program-building process? Are they approaching the depth and talent that you showcased in Colorado?

You have a problem that most coaches would die for - having to decide between two amazing quarterbacks. Which guy (Leslie or Jordan) are you going to feature?

We were surprised to see true-freshman QB Pittman on the field this season. What do you see in this youngster over the JR and SR studs we asked about above?

Everyone knows that Kirby Barber is the media sweetheart this year, but you've got a great back there in Steve Carter. How do you think your guy stacks up against Barber at MSU, Bennett at OU and Myrick in Florida?

Some would say that you made it through the most difficult part of your schedule already. Is this team going to be undefeated when they get to the B10 title game? And what about after that game?

• Like Like x 1
  4. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

• Like Like x 5
  5. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Stanford

Screen Shot 2012-04-06 at 4.43.18 PM.png

Coach jca312 - thanks for visiting with us. As one of the longest tenured coaches in the Crop, we'd like to pick your brain about the level of competition in the league. We all know that building a winning program is no 40-hour a week job and we're always amazed to see the coaches and ADs working through the morning and night to support their football programs. How does this Crop stack up against past seasons?

Your program seems to have a bit of a rivalry with that school in Wyoming and their opinionated and vocal coach. How big was that bowl game victory for you personally after some of the pre-game jabs you heard through the media?

You had marquis wins over Florida and Wyoming last season that seemed to send a message about the strength of your program. This season, however, has been a rough stretch. Can this team still recover and get to the Pac 12 title game?

Let's talk about Vernon Carter. He's taken a lot of snaps for Stanford these past fours years. Where is his future place in Stanford football lore? Will he be considered the best ever at Stanford? Or just the best athletic QB at Stanford?

7. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Virginia

Screen Shot 2012-04-06 at 4.42.20 PM.png

Coach egofailure - thanks for taking our call. You had a great season last year - getting to the national championship game where you came up short against the force that is Oklahoma. Things just didn't seem to go your way in what can only be described as a frustrating experience. What did your team take away from those experiences?

Following your championship attempt, everyone in the ACC and state of Virginia had the Cavaliers pegged for another championship run, but your team has stumbled a bit this season. What would you say has led to your early struggles? And can this team still contend for a title this season?

There's no question that this is your most talent group of football players that you've put on the field for Virginia - probably the best this school has ever seen. What are the strengths of this team? And where is this team failing to stack up?

We've seen some great recruiting classes for the Hoo's these past few years. When does this team's talent level peak?

Lastly, we know you've got your sights set on your first real premier back in that speedy recruit out of Texas. When can we expect to see him on the field and how will that change your game plan?

Good luck righting the ship this season and congratulations on your unprecedented success at Virginia.

8. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

No problem, thanks for having me.

Last year we had a special group of men here at Virginia. The loss to Oklahoma was a tough way to end such a spectacular season, but in that game, we proved that we belonged. We were one or two plays away from walking off the field as the best team in the country. When I first took the job here at UVA, I would have been laughed off the podium had I told our fans we'd have that chance. Now the whole state believes in us.

Prior to my arrival, we hadn't won an ACC championship in 30 years. Now we're contending for national championships. We learned that hard work pays off. As a result, the entire UVA program is hungrier than ever.

We realize that playing in the ACC has its disadvantages. If all things are even, the nod for a championship bid will almost always go to an SEC, Big Ten, or PAC-12 school. For that reason, I've made it a point to have one of the most difficult OOC schedules in the country every year. How many other teams would open up on the road vs. Wyoming, a pre-season Top-10 team? We do it to shut up all the doubters and naysayers.

That said, sometimes the plan backfires. We went into this season with a new starting quarterback, halfback, and fullback. Many programs like to set themselves up with one or two easier match ups to work out the early-season kinks, especially with a new group of players at key positions. We don't have that luxury. I felt that in our game vs. the Cowboys, by the time we found our rhythm offensively, we ran out of time.

But since then, we've won 5-straight, we're ranked #6 in the nation, and we host the #1 Sooners in Week 11. If we handle our business against NC State and Miami, we'll head into that game in a position to assert ourselves as true contenders. When your fate is in your own hands, what more can you ask for?

I really liked our team with Robertson leading the offense (he didn't have the starting role at QB until Week 2), but he'll be out with a shoulder injury for at least another month. With Blake Smith filling in, we're a bit less versatile offensively, but we're more potent through the air. He's going to have to have a helluva stretch if we're going to stay in the NC conversation. I'm excited for him and the opportunity he's been presented.

You know, while it's true that you can't win in this game without talent, talent alone doesn't get the job done. On paper, we might have more "talent" than the previous year, but last season's team had vastly superior chemistry. We also had, arguably, the best quarterback in UVA history running the show. The importance of that can't be understated. Veteran leadership at key positions wins championships.

This year's team, though, like last year's, is extremely tough. We're balanced. Deep. Hardworking. There's not a single guy in our locker room who's afraid to knock you in the teeth. I love that.

Still, I think we're missing the guy from this year's team. Robertson has that potential, but is only a freshman; and at halfback, Silva and Kirby are bangers who lack homerun speed. Our receiving core, as a whole, is formidable, but we don't have a guy that absolutely requires safety help. We have a few guys on the roster now who I think one day will, but that's not the case right now.

We've had some tremendous classes the last few years, which has helped us compete on the field with the elite programs, but I think we're a long way from peaking. Programs such as Oklahoma, Alabama, and Texas are on a whole 'nother level, and they're at that level due to long periods of sustained success. Right now, we're nothing more than a blip on the radar. If we were to fall flat on our faces for the next couple of seasons, the entire country would forget that we even exist.

But I won't let that happen. I won't be satisfied until UVA is a fixture in the college football world. As we inch closer to reaching that status with every top-ten finish, we won't just be able to bring in top talent ... we'll be able to choose among the top talent.

Right now, we work around the talent we bring in, developing a system that will best utilize their abilities. The plan, in time, is to be in position to bring in the players we need to run the exact system we've envisioned from day one.

David Allen's a special player ... a game-changer ... a kid with the potential to be "the guy". As I stated earlier, he's the exact type of player we need here at Virginia.

We've talked to David about red-shirting his freshman year in order to get stronger and adjusted to the college lifestyle. He's a smart, humble kid and appears to be on board with that plan.

If Allen chooses Virginia, it won't necessarily change anything we do offensively, but rather make everything we do that much more effective. In our system, the half back is utilized considerably, especially in the passing game. Right now, we have well-executed off-tackle runs and screen plays going for 6-10 yards. David has the potential to turn these plays into touchdowns.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Stanford
    [​IMG]

"As one of the longest tenured coaches in the Crop, we'd like to pick your brain about the level of competition in the league. We all know that building a winning program is no 40-hour a week job and we're always amazed to see the coaches and ADs working through the morning and night to support their football programs. How does this Crop stack up against past seasons?"

It's been a lot of fun to be a part of this league for so many years. It seems with every passing season, the competition gets better, the coaches get more committed, and the league becomes a tighter knit group. It's fun to be a part of the Cream of the Crop fraternity. I think a spot in the league is something to be proud of because it comes with hard work.

"Your program seems to have a bit of a rivalry with that school in Wyoming and their opinionated and vocal coach. How big was that bowl game victory for you personally after some of the pre-game jabs you heard through the media?"

Coach Schad and I have a long standing rivalry. He's beaten me a few times in big games and on heartbreaking plays, but we've won our fair share as well. He and I have very different coaching philosophies. He likes to talk in the press and make outlandish claims. I prefer to let my team do the talking on the field. I always know when a team coached by him comes up on our schedule our guys better be ready to go. You're going to be put under pressure offensively and defensively for the whole game. If you let down, you'll be punished. Any time you can get a win against one of his teams it's big, same as any rivalry game. Records and rankings don't matter.

"You had marquis wins over Florida and Wyoming last season that seemed to send a message about the strength of your program. This season, however, has been a rough stretch. Can this team still recover and get to the Pac 12 title game?"

I think our guys may have gotten caught looking too far ahead and assumed that they were going to win games by just showing up. The San Jose State loss may have been the turning point of our season. Since then, I feel like our guys on defense have really buckled down and focused on the fundamentals. Our offense has done a decent job this year of putting points on the board, we've struggled to stop our opponent in 2 of our 3 losses. We're on our way to turning that around and hopefully getting another crack at Oklahoma in the Pac 12 Championship Game.

"Let's talk about Vernon Carter. He's taken a lot of snaps for Stanford these past four years. Where is his future place in Stanford Football lore? Will he be considered the best ever at Stanford? Or just the best athletic QB at Stanford?"

Vernon is a great quarterback and a great athlete. I feel it's a bit unfair to him and what he has accomplished here because of the guy we had when we were recruiting him. Bryan Lewis is in the Hall of Fame, but I think Vernon is just as good. Vernon probably even runs the ball better, but we were just doing things differently when Bryan was here. I think an outsider will look at the numbers and say Lewis was better, but I think they are probably on the same level. In fact, Vernon might even be a better runner than Bryan. His numbers won't matchup, but he has had to overcome some injuries and Bryan was lucky enough to avoid getting hurt the whole time he was here. I think that those of us in the program know that Vernon is a great football player, a great leader, and a great quarterback. He'll always have a special place for me in Stanford Football history. We've been lucky to get the kind of kids we've gotten to lead our team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Cincinnati

Screen Shot 2012-04-08 at 7.47.42 PM.png

Coach tuco418 - you've quietly been running a powerhouse program in the Big East and, more recently, the Big 12 while managing to stay out of the headlines and media focus. How does a 6-star team maintain such a low profile?

You seemed to have your best year a season or two ago when you had to step away for personal reasons. Do you think that team might have won the title if you were able to see it through?

How does this year's team stack up against some of the powerful teams you've put on the field in the past?

Alonzo Harrison is, like the rest of your team, quietly one of the best in the nation. How is it that Harrison is getting no love from the Heisman voters? And how does Harrison compare with the likes of Barber, Bennett and Carter?

We've noted that you prefer a mobile quarterback in your spread system. Chris Gilmore seems like he's been in Cincy forever, but you've got a great one in Lenny Sullivan on the bench behind him. Will Gilmore remain the starter this year? Or will Sullivan step in and steal the spotlight?

You lost to MSU after out-playing them most of the game and then lost a really close one to Alabama. You've got Wyoming (likely twice) at the end of the year. How do you like your chances against the Cowboys this season?

11. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Florida

Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 10.22.17 PM.png

Coach Mr2Bits - thanks for taking our call. We have a lot of questions for you, but everyone here is dying to get your take on what happened this week against Vandy. Did you get caught looking past the team that now holds the keys to the East's spot in the SEC CCG?

You finally managed to win your first title a few seasons ago - congrats for that, by the way - but your team has struggled a bit since then. You lost two games early last season and the recent loss to Vandy likely puts you out of the race this season. What is happening in Gainsville?

Everyone knows that Florida is a big draw for recruits. That's apparent with permanent place UF has carved out in the top 3 of the recruiting rankings. But even with all that talent coming through, your offense seems to be a step (or two) behind some of the amazingly talented squads we've seen there in the past. Are we misreading that? And/or when does this offense become elite again?

On defense, you boast one of the best defensive lines in the history of college football. Would you say they are playing up to their level of talent?

Behind that front four is a handful of good or great linebackers, corners and safeties. I think everyone knows that the first team is full of studs, but maybe you can tell us a little bit about the young talent you have developing behind those guys?

Lastly, we're all very excited for your week 14 trip to Norman. It doesn't get much bigger than OU/UF. It would take some help, but there's a chance that a win in that game could put UF back into the title conversation. How does your team stack up against the mighty OU machine?

12. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Oklahoma

Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 10.39.05 PM.png

Coach BRUCE80 - you're a hard man to get ahold of. Are you just too busy sitting up in your castle, counting all of those rings? No seriously - what do you do with all of those? You'd look like an asshole walking around with 7 rings on your hands. "Hey look at me! I've won more titles than I can count - and my team is terrible!"

All jokes aside, what you've managed to accomplish this past decade at OU is nothing short of amazing. We know you're the consummate sand-bagger that never has a very good team, but still manages to have a significantly better team than everyone else. What is the secret to your success?

You're rolling through another challenging schedule with relative ease, but you've still got at least one really big game left on the schedule when you host Florida in week 14. Tell us a little about your rivalry with the nation's other powerhouse.

This is your second year in the Pac-12. Your arrival seems to have changed the landscape of the conference. How do you compare the talent in the Pac-12 to the conference you left behind?

Lastly coach, you've got quite a collection of talented athletes all over that roster. One particular guy that is turning heads is RS-SO TE Steve Hodges. We know that OU loves a good TE and this one seems to be on par with some of the great TEs (Youdlain anyone?) that have come up through this program. How do you think he compares? And how do the recent NCAA restrictions on TE routes stand to impact his career numbers?

13. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

This league looks amazing :)

I love all the content, I hope I can be apart of it someday :D

• Like Like x 5
  14. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Your team looked great at times last season, but you came up short against Florida and had a disapointing finish against Stanford. Derrick Johnson is back for his 5th year (and 4th year as the starter) and a shot at another Heisman trophy, but didn't get off to a great start this year. What should we expect from Johnson the remainder of the season?

It's been an up and down year for him and alot of that attributes to the fact that we are just not quite as explosive on offense as we were the previous two seasons. We have lost some of our most prolific receivers and it definitely has hurt us this season.

After a great start against UVA, the Cowboys struggled against two teams from Ohio - OSU and Ohio. Looking down your schedule, are there any other games you're worried about?

Cincinnati. We beat them twice last year but the odds are against us this season to do it again. Coach Tuco and his boys will be wanting to extract revenge.

Tell us a little about the young talent on your team - specifically the young receievers that will be fueling this air-raid attack for the next few seasons. You've been loaded with great receivers for many seasons, but we're not sure who is going to be catching all those passes in the seasons ahead.

ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 10 09.09.gif

Kelly is our best overall receiver and Dixon is the burner but tends to lose focus at times. Rose is an explosive slot and does a great job working the the perimeter and Hopkins might have the best hands and route running on the team. He is going to be great in this offense, already has contributed a bunch this season at #4.

We are quite young elsewhere and it has shown all season at times. In general next season between QB and WR we could have very little experience.

Speaking of all those passes, who is going to be the next great quarterback in this system?

ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 10 09.07.gif

One of these two young players signed this week after the Kansas State game.

It looks like you're starting to assemble a core of young, talented defenders - something that seemed to be lacking for this team in the early years of your tenure. What is the current focus of your recruiting efforts? Restocking the passing game or continuing to build out the defense?

We are HEAVILY attacking our offensive sets in recruiting to reload alot of talented players we have lost the past two seasons.

On defense we only have 1 Senior and will return 10 of 11 starters. We should have one of the best defenses in the country next season which will be huge with a young offensive team next year.

• Like Like x 3
  15. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

I see 5 people "liked" my above post that I made this morning :D

Now... One of you needs to LEAVE so I can join this Dynasty as my Toledo Rockets!!!

16. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

haha GSUtiger

You know I gotta make my Boys (UT Grad) a National Power :D

18. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]

19. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

We "LIKED" the fact you recognize how awesome we are. Not because we like you. (y)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

:(

• Like Like x 3
  21. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Cheer up mate :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

• Like Like x 2
  23. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  24. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Cincinnati

View attachment 8996

Coach tuco418 - you've quietly been running a powerhouse program in the Big East and, more recently, the Big 12 while managing to stay out of the headlines and media focus. How does a 6-star team maintain such a low profile?

Mostly because we have not come through in the big games since coming to the Big XII. When we have gotten to the championship game, we have been throttled by both Oklahoma and Wyoming.

You seemed to have your best year a season or two ago when you had to step away for personal reasons. Do you think that team might have won the title if you were able to see it through?

That was tough to walk away from the team, we were 11-0 heading into the Big XII championship game. We had a quality quarterback who did not make mistakes and was probably our best shot to win the conference. Beating Oklahoma would have been tough, but we had our best personnel to do so.

How does this year's team stack up against some of the powerful teams you've put on the field in the past?

The team is very talented at almost every position with the exception of two- offensive line and quarterback. We have had quarterback issues each of the last season, be it from injuries or inexperience. The problems on the offensive line have plagued the program since I arrived at Cincinnati. We have not been able to recruit elite offensive lineman and it really has affected our ability to run the ball in big games. I think the play of our offensive line has prevented us from achieving bigger goals.

Alonzo Harrison is, like the rest of your team, quietly one of the best in the nation. How is it that Harrison is getting no love from the Heisman voters? And how does Harrison compare with the likes of Barber, Bennett and Carter?

He is a very good back and is having a great season (1100 yards) but should be better with a better performance from the offensive line.
    We've noted that you prefer a mobile quarterback in your spread system. Chris Gilmore seems like he's been in Cincy forever, but you've got a great one in Lenny Sullivan on the bench behind him. Will Gilmore remain the starter this year? Or will Sullivan step in and steal the spotlight?

Gillmore is currently out with an injury and Lenny Sullivan has done a sufficient job. Sullivan should be the starter for the remainder of the NCAA 12 play.

You lost to MSU after out-playing them most of the game and then lost a really close one to Alabama. You've got Wyoming (likely twice) at the end of the year. How do you like your chances against the Cowboys this season?

No one defends the spread better than Coach David and tonight in the 27-13 loss, his defense held us to probably all time lows in total yardage. We really need to re-think our gameplan for the Big XII championship.

• Like Like x 2