2029 First Round Draft Recap

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Roggie, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    1. Oakland Athletics: SP Joseph Keller

[​IMG]

Easily the top prospect in the draft, and maybe the best since David Taylor. Was the #1 pick in last year's draft, but was unable to come to terms with Miami. Another season in Wichita seems to have motivated Keller, who impressed scouts so much that his grades actually improved. A ton of stuff, masterful control, and good movement with 3 great to outstanding pitches has Keller looking like a lock to be a top 3 pitcher in the MLB. He's also one of the most developed prospects that we have ever seen. The AL West will hate seeing him multiple times every season.

2. Philadelphia Phillies: SP Jim Brewer

[​IMG]

A poor man's Joseph Keller. 3 very good to great pitches with a lot of stuff and outstanding control. Brewer's pitches have a tendency to hang occasionally, but that happens with every mortal pitcher. Our scouting reports have him as a tick below Keller in all 3 aspects of the game, which is not a knock on Brewer at all. If he reaches his potential, Brewer will be a #1 on almost any staff in the league.

3. Kansas City Royals: SP Buck Davis

[​IMG]

A lefty with 3 plus pitches, two being a splitter and sinker, Davis is a great prospect who forces a lot of ground balls. He is a smaller pitcher, but the trend has been towards shorter pitchers in recent years. Has more developing to do than the 2 guys ahead of him, though.

4. Cincinnati Reds: SP Denny Meyer

[​IMG]

The first high schooler drafted, Meyer has insane movement on his pitches. His sinker runs in on lefties and makes him dominant vs both hands. Hulk's pitches have so much drop to them that the vast majority of batters are going to get on top of the ball and hit grounders. Meyer also has plus control and stuff to go with his crazy movement, making him the complete package.

5. San Diego Padres SP Wilbur Williamson

[​IMG]

Claw is the second most developed prospect in the draft. A smart player who will outwork most, if not all, players, Williamson looks to be on the fast track to the majors. He projects to be a guy with plus stuff and control with above average movement and have 3 good to plus pitches.

6. Texas Rangers SP Doug Coull

[​IMG]

Coull projects as a well-balanced pitcher, with plus stuff, movement, and control. He is also a guy who is pretty well developed already and should be on the Rangers' staff within 2 seasons. Another 3 plus pitch pitcher with a great work ethic and intelligence, Coull could be the ace of the Rangers' staff at some point in his career.

7. Toronto Blue Jays CF Colby Saunders

[​IMG]

Saunders is the first batter off the board and has the look of a stud right-handed bat. An above average contact guy with plus power, Saunders is also a decent defender who can play everywhere in the outfield and either corner infield spot. Saunders also has plus speed. The main weakness this kid has is that he tends to strike out a lot.

8. Colorado Rockies C Spike Dixon

[​IMG]

Dixon is a high contact, high power bat with a pretty good eye who is a mediocre catcher. Dixon is also one of the slowest players around, drawing historical comparisons to Sean Casey. If he doesn't get better behind the plate, though, Dixon could end up moving to first base.

9. Seattle Mariners SP Rafael Nieves

[​IMG]

Pecks is a pitcher who projects to have fantastic control, but has a long way to go to hit his potential. He already shows good movement on his pitches with a little room to grow, and has solid stuff for someone of his age. He should grow into a frontline starter, but he does have some work to do to reach it. Pecks projects to have 2 plus pitches and 2 above average ones. At age 19, he has room to add a few more MPH to his fastball and could throw 98-100 by the time he reaches the majors.

10. Washington Nationals SS George Pagan

[​IMG]

Pagan is already an above average defender who can play three infield positions and has a rocket for an arm. He projects to have a high contact bat with good power to the gaps and already has a very good eye, which should continue to improve. Pagan can fly around the basepaths as well, and projects as either a leadoff hitter against lefties or a lower order bat who will get on base.

11. Cleveland Indians SP Donald Jefferson

[​IMG]

Jefferson is another elite pitching prospect with 2 plus pitches with a 3rd above average pitch. Jefferson has a ton of stuff with above average movement and control who dominated high school opponents last season. He's a few years away from playing for the big club, though.

12. Pittsburgh Pirates SP Paco Jimenez

[​IMG]

Suitcase dropped a bit farther than I expected him to, probably do to him being considered a fragile arm. 3 plus pitches with a lot of stuff, plus control, and above average movement, along with a 4th pitch that he doesn't seem to have a feel for but can throw a few times a game to keep the hitter off balance. If he stays healthy, he should be a top arm for Pittsburgh.

13. Milwaukee Brewers SS Roscoe Gilroy

[​IMG]

Gilroy is a solid defender at short, although he may be better suited at 2nd. High contact potential with an uncanny ability to avoid being struck out. Decent speed as well. Not much power at all and only a mediocre eye.

14. Miami Marlins SP Bob Muller

[​IMG]

Another guy who looks like he could anchor a rotation, Muller has a ton of stuff. His control and movement are above average, but he isn't very well developed for a 21 year old and he's also not very smart. He does have a wicked slider that left-handed batters struggle with.

15. Miami Marlins SP Reginald Pontiu

[​IMG]

Miami grabs another starting pitcher with their 2nd pick in the first round. Pontiu is another player who will need a few years to develop, but looks to be a little bit more all around than Muller. He only has one plus pitch, but also has 3 above average pitches. Pontiu does have a high GB% due to plus movement.

16. New York Yankees SP Joseph Mitchell

[​IMG]

How the hell did this guy last until 16? He has a chance to be better than Alexander Maehle, the NL's reigning Cy Young winner, and went behind some pitchers who are easily a tier below him. The Yankees get a STEAL at 16 with a top 5 talent. His stuff is on par with Keller's. He has 3 plus to outstanding pitches along with a show me slider. Not the greatest control in the world, but with the stuff and movement he has, he doesn't need to be pinpoint accurate.

17. Baltimore Orioles CF Ed Sabine

[​IMG]

With the lack of batting depth in this draft, Baltimore, an organization loaded in young pitching, went with the best bat available (in their opinion) in Sabine. Sabine has good contact ability and can drive the ball into the gap and over the fence at times. Good defensive player who can play all 3 outfield positions with great speed. Not going to be the highest on base guy with an average eye and strikes out more than most guys able to make contact like he can.

18. Arizona Diamondbacks SP Ed Denton

[​IMG]

Denton has great stuff and can throw 6 pitches with decent control, but doesn't get much movement on his pitches. There were a couple of pitchers left on the board who I liked more than him. He is lazy, though, which means he won't get burnt out from working too hard.

19. San Francisco Giants 1B Bill Hudson

[​IMG]

I have no idea. Decent contact bat with decent gap power and some power, but nothing special for a first baseman. Can't run and can't play defense. Guys like this are available pretty cheap in FA every year. No idea why he went in the first round.

20. Tampa Bay Rays CL Juan Su

[​IMG]

He throws pure cheddar. He's been clocked at over 101 MPH on his fastball. He's only 21. And he also throws a splitter that looks like his fastball until about 15 feet from the plate, where it drops down. If his arm holds up, Su should be a top closer in the league.

21. Los Angeles Angels SS Keith Moody

[​IMG]

In a class with batting depth being so shallow, I'm shocked Moody lasted this long. A high contact bat who can avoid striking out and draw a walk, Moody should be a high OBP guy every season. Not much gap power or home run power, so he looks like he'll be a singles hitter. Fantastic defensively minus his arm, which probably warrants a move to 2nd base.

22. St Louis Cardinals SP Juan Leon

[​IMG]

Leon just goes to show how deep starting pitching is in this draft. Another guy with plus stuff and above average movement and control, Leon looks like a future #2 for most clubs. He has one of the best forkballs that we have seen in years, and backs that up with an above average fastball and cutter.

23. Detroit Tigers SP Bruce Holland

[​IMG]

Another starting pitcher goes at 23. Holland is another plus stuff guy with above average movement and control. He has 5 pitches he can throw, all being above average or better. Nothing really sticks out about this guy, good or bad. Should have a solid career.

24. Atlanta Braves SP Jim Wagner

[​IMG]

Not really sure why Wagner lasted this long. Would have taken him over the past 3 pitchers chosen. Wagner has plus control and movement along with fantastic control. Throws 3 plus pitches with a show me changeup. Only weakness is that he doesn't have great stamina, but there have been pitchers who are in similar conditioning as him to make it as starters. Does have a bit of a way to go in developing, being only 18.

25. Houston Astros SS Michael Poe

[​IMG]

One of my favorite bats in the draft, and the only 2 way player who is a stud batting and pitching. Above average contact with plus pop and no major holes in his offensive game, Poe is also above average defensively, although he may be lacking in range to play shortstop, which could cause a move to 2nd or 3rd. If he winds up pitching, look for a guy with above average stuff and movement to go with his plus control and 3 very good pitches.

26. Minnesota Twins CL Kevin Myers

[​IMG]

Another quality closer in this draft, Myers doesn't have the cheese that Su has, but has a little bit more control. Pretty well developed for a 21 year old as well, Myers could contribute out of the pen soon. Myers has a lively fastball and a slider that can make batters look foolish.

27. Chicago Cubs CL George Ladd

[​IMG]

A very similar closer to Kevin Myers, Ladd has a bit more movement on his pitches but a little less control. Ladd throws an outstanding curveball to go with his fastball. Any of the 3 closers drafted at this point could learn a 3rd pitch at some point in their careers and possibly convert to starter, as all of them started in college.

28. New York Mets SP Steve Mills

[​IMG]

The knuckleball is making a return. That's 2 straight years a knuckleballer goes in round 1. Mills is the rare lefty knuckleballer, but he can throw a little bit of heat with his pitches topping out around 84. Mills can also catch a batter off guard with a changeup and a curveball and has fantastic control of his pitches.

29. Boston Red Sox SP Sylvester Leonard

[​IMG]

The depth of the draft is starting to die off a bit. Leonard has plus stuff with good control and above average movement. He has 3 plus pitches to work with, and at 23 years old, is somewhat developed already.

30. Los Angeles Dodgers CF Michael Miles

[​IMG]

Miles may be the most drafted player in MLB history, having been drafted 4 times previously and failing to sign each time. The 5th time may be the charm for him. But, he is not even close to being worthy of a first round pick. Below average contact kills much of the hope for this guy. He has pop in his bat and avoids striking out, but he just struggles making contact (not sure how you can suck at making contact but avoid strikeouts well). He does have plus speed and is above average defensively. The only way this pick makes sense to me is if the Dodgers need a 4th outfielder to be ready very quickly.

31. Chicago White Sox CF Nathaniel Hill

[​IMG]

Hill isn't anything special, but he's a good bat in this draft. Average contact, but has plus power and speed. He's going to strike out a good bit. Not great defensively, but won't kill his team in the outfield. Only 17 though, so he has plenty of time to prove scouts wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 14
  2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Keller is just filthy. He could contribute in the bigs this year probably. I can't imagine him not at least being on the ST roster for OMlawdog next year

3. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

All you brothers need to get ready for Hulkamania to run wild over this league in the future. Yeah brother.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I've stared at rookies enough today. Expect screenshots to come soon.

5. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Great work. I'm still shocked / elated Mitchell fell to me at 16. Even when I'm not in the lottery I manage to snag a top 5 talent.

6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I really can't figure that one out. Did 55 control really scare everybody away? Or were they afraid of the high price tag? I just don't get it at all either. I dunno which is more shocking: Maehle throwing a perfect game and not dying due to no stamina or Maehle 2.0 somehow falling to 16.

7. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Roggie - The computer drafted that shit 1B for me. I have no idea why that player was the one drafted.

8. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, you and Saw got screwed by auto picks. But I still get to rip em. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Screenshots are up. Apologies for the random color change halfway through. The white background was murdering my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Great write-up Roggie. I don't often wish ill things on people, but i kind of wish Mitchell dies on NT and is reborn on the cheap ala Beetle Bland. He just goes to Cleveland instead of Milwaukee in this scenario :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

• Like Like x 1
  12. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1