2029 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by JFace907, Apr 4, 2014.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Let's get this ish goin!

Team Questions:

Recap last years team? Did you over-achieve or under-achieve?

Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?

How do you think these changes should affect you this year?

Whose a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year?

League Questions:

With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2028?

Predict the finish for the teams in your division?

Best Hitter and Pitcher in the division?

With the recent shakeup on the managerial front, who catches lightning in a bottle under new leadership?

Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and why?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Team Questions:

Regular season, we over-achieved. The goal was to win the division, which we did. But I did not expect us to have the best record in the NL. Playoffs, we obviously under-achieved. Heading in after getting the best record then losing in the divisional round is a letdown. Hoped to at least make the NLCS and give it a run.

Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys?

The Cubs didn't have a lot of changes this offseason. A couple of young guys joined the team last season and will be getting their first full season in the majors. Orlando Ortega has been the top pitching prospect in Chicago since I was given the job and impressed in the last two months of last season. He will open the season as the #3 starter and we expect him to progress a bit more as the season goes. Edmundo Colon progressed quickly through the minors after coming over as an international FA in the offseason. While he didn't reach our projections, he is still a good defensive catcher who should mash against right-handed pitching. Henry Parker impressed in September last year and will lead off vs lefties and will bat 5th vs righties.

While we didn't go after any big name free agents this year, we did bring in a couple of guys who we expect to contribute for us and bounce back following subpar years last season. Dae-Yun Park gives us some ability at 2nd (and provides depth, which is already being tested early in the season with Eduardo Rice being injured in ST), and Michael Patterson has to do better than the rotation we had at 3rd last season of Jamie Zapata and Rafael Rodriguez (which netted a -WAR for us).

The pitching staff remains unchanged from the end of last season.

Our major weakness last season was third base. Patterson should at least be average for us there. Henry Parker fills in a much needed spot in the outfield as a high contact, low strikeout batter. Ortega being in the rotation for a full seaosn gives us what could be the best rotation in the NL, if not the entire MLB (and Tony Rivera moves to the bullpen, who had a great season last year starting and can move back into the rotation should Ortega or Brian Hamm struggle).

Who is a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year?

I'm hoping Edmundo Colon can break out and play well vs righties. He has to handle more of the load early in the year with John Brown being injured, but hopefully he can hit .250 with a lot of power.

League Questions:

With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2028?

I could see Milwaukee making it as a Wild Card this year.

Chicago Cubs
    Milwaukee Brewers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

Best pitcher is Alexander Maehle. Can't pick against the reigning Cy Young winner (I feel like I'm repeating myself on this one).

Adrian Warren breaks out for St. Louis and challenges for NL MVP this season.

With the recent shakeup on the managerial front, who catches lightning in a bottle under new leadership?

Pittsburgh with pitt4life21 running the team has a shot at making a run for a wild card. He turned that Miami team around when he took over and has a better team in Pittsburgh.

White Sox over Cubs in the L-Train series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Team Questions:

-We made it to the World Series so over-achieved. We had some devastating injuries throughout the year and even in the NLCS but fought all the way until the smacking given by soxandgators.

-The Dodgers stayed the same and resigned INF Mario Perez. We tried going after some pitchers but failed to sign any.

-Perez did a decent job as our utility guy and produced a 1 WAR so we are hoping for the same production.

Whose a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year?
    - SP Jake Matthews has been under the radar the past few years here and has done a good job. With him sliding in the #2 spot we know we are giving him a tough task but have faith in him to do well.

League Questions:

-I agree with Roggie. Milwaukee would be my guess

-San Fran
    -Diamondbacks
    -Dodgers
    -San Diego
    -Rockies

-SP Jon Riley
    -1B Scot Clay

- Masler will redeem himself!

-Chicago Whitesox are just too good.

4. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Team Questions:

We honestly felt like anything could have happened to this team last year. We liked our rotation coming into the year and had hopes that Matt Johnson and Ron Parsons would soon be joining the group. Sadly, neither have progressed to big league level pitchers and there are murmurs in the scouting department that they never will. Johnson is 27 and Parsons is 25 and neither can consistently locate the strike zone. In that sense we as an organization under-achieved. The lineup also had its bumps in the road as Frisky Reyes just couldn’t stay on the field. After years of having constant pop in the lineup in the form of a healthy Adrian Price, Jose Costa, Stanley Bena, etc it was a real bummer to not have the true pop in the lineup. We brought back Derek Deitrich to be that guy and he gave us close to 30 dingers, but it wasn’t enough to strike fear in any opposing pitcher. I guess you’d say we under-achieved, but at the same time, our expectations weren’t very high.

We booked a direct flight to the Island of Misfit Toys and took anything that could function even with its flaws. We almost completely remade our bullpen after having such an awful pen last year. Other than that its just been minor moves here and there.

We’re hoping our starting pitchers don’t have the manager for giving them the hook because they don’t trust the pen. Hopefully we’ve put some able bodies out there that can seal the deal on W’s.

A guy can still hope that his prospects are late bloomers, can’t he? Johnson and Parsons are likely on their last chance before we just let some other org deal with them in the way of a trade or Rule 5.

League Questions:

Seems like the AL East is now the division that gives us a new playoff team every season. Props to the BoSox for getting in there and making a nice run. I think this year we could see the O’s get back to pushing teams around.

White Sox
    Twins
    Tigers
    Indians
    Royals

Campbell and Spooks. Nothing ever changes in the Central.

I think the return of Mr. Clutch to the US of A spells doom for the National League Central.

White Sox. I’m going to write an email to Green Day for them to re-release their hit single, but this time titled "Wake Me Up When October Ends"

• Like Like x 5
  5. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    san_diego_padres.png
    Team Questions:

They weren't my team, but I think they underachieved. There were a couple flaws in their personnel and that greatly affected their performance. After fixing that, the Padres surged in the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully that can continue with this year's team.

We traded away 1B Jerome Smith and SP Carter Hamilton to the Yankees. We picked up RF Luis Perez from the trade with the Yankees. We went out and signed 1B Raul Gonzalez who had been in San Francisco the last 5 years. Other than that, we picked up 5 players from the Rule 5 draft, but already sent 1 back.

I think we're improved. Smith was a DH that struck out over 200 times last year. You can't really afford that with Petco. Hamilton was a great pitcher for the Padres for a lot of years, but once he started to regress, we didn't think he was worth the contract extension he was given. Gonzalez should easily replace the loss of Smith and put up good numbers in Petco last year. We don't think Perez has been used properly in New York the last few years. He's not what he used to be, but we think it should be a solid addition. From the rule 5, we added 2 lefty MRs since we didn't have any and then 2 role position players.

I'm not sure anyone is setup to breakout this year. Lots of guys getting close to ready for the call up, but not this year.

League Questions:

I guess I'll go with the Reds, but I'm not sure.

1. Diamondbacks
    2. Giants
    3. Padres
    4. Dodgers
    5. Rockies

Pitcher: SP Rob Carig
    Hitter: 1B Scotty Clay

:sneaky:

New York Metropolitans(it's got to happen for the NL eventually).

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

:finger:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Haha. Not picking on you. Picking on prior management for giving you shit to work with.

8. JohnnyClutch

Haha, yeah we will see how long it takes to turn this mess of a franchise around. Hopefully I'll be fighting for the top spot soon.

9. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

Team Questions

Recap last years team? Did you over-achieve or under-achieve? I would've thought this club could build off the 2027 momentum and notch another playoff birth. Though we fell one play-in game shy of the wildcard, it's difficult to say we underachieved. I'd say we had by and large the season we expected to have.

Tell us a little about what changes happened in the offseason for your team? Who is gone and who are some of the new guys? The most notable addition was Sieken Hayagawa, who comes over from the Nippon league where he was one of the more dominant closers. He will look to shore up a struggling bullpen that lost several games last season. Additionally, the Angels brought in 1B Ron Johnston and CF/DH Lewis Brown, both of whom can help a team that has historically struggled against left handed pitching.

CL Sieken Hayagawa
    preseason3cl.JPG

1B Ron Johnston AKA Jonah Hill
    preseason4 johnston.JPG

How do you think these changes should affect you this year? Arguably the two most glaring weaknesses last season were the bullpen and our inability to hit left handed pitching. On paper, we've addressed those issues to a large extent. How it plays out? Who knows.

Whose a breakout candidate for your team? Any impact prospects coming in this year? It seems like every year is a potential breakout year for CF Chester Dobson, though at this point my expectations have been tempered. I am really hoping 2nd year SS Chris Walls can take the next step and assert himself as one of the better shortstops in the league. Additionally, highly touted prospect John 'Pug' Preston will be joining the rotation, and Angel fans can't wait to see what he has in store for them.

SS Chris Walls
    preseason2walls.JPG

SP John "Pug" Preston
    preseason1.JPG

League Questions:

With new playoff teams making it every year, who do you feel will be a surprise team in your league and make a playoff appearance who did not make it in 2028? Cincinnati and JohnnyClutch

1. Houston
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Seattle
    4. Texas
    5. Oakland

SP Larry Langley (LAA)
    langley.JPG

CF Leo Kingwell (HOU)
    kingwell.JPG

With the recent shakeup on the managerial front, who catches lightning in a bottle under new leadership? Again, I think the NL Central is ripe for the taking, and JohnnyClutch and the Reds will seize that opportunity from the get-go.

Pick your World Series (or NPBL Cup) Winner and why? Tampa Bay

• Like Like x 3
  10. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Everybody hating on the returning GMs in the Central. :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. JohnnyClutch

Team Questions:

I believe the team underachieved last season on the field and with ownership.

The team hired a new GM in Joshua Adams. Adams when then given a budget of $20mil less than the previous GM had last season. The first thing was to cut salary. We traded Brown and Arrington who were a combined like 1.9 WAR to Los Angeles for a catcher and CF prospect. This freed up almost $30mil in money for the team. We used this money to increase the teams developmental budget and to bring in several veterans on one year deals to basically show they can still play and get an extension.

I believe the additions will help us win some more games this season. Matt Adams was extended and we added several pieces (Michael Venafro, Jonathan GallA3, Anthony Zynch, Maurice Wells, and Jorge Lopez) to create a great pitching staff while signing CF Terrance Gore and 3B Dominique Faure to be stop gaps until better players can be found.

We called up SS Mike Sloan and 3B Joseph Charles to be starters. Not big impact prospects but they should be good ballplayers.

League Questions:

My former team, the Miami Marlins.

Chicago Cubs
    Cincinnati Reds
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Milwaukee Brewers

CF Greg Jordan
    SP Alexander Maehle

Whales Vagina

Houston Astros, because why not.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Masler

Masler Moderator

Team Questions:

Old team, old news. In terms of overall, under-achieved. In terms of talent...right about where I thought.

Well, went from Philly to NPL to Milwaukee in about two or three sims. I wasn't majorly familiar with the Brewers prior to becoming the owner but they did acquire SP Takahashi, who is pitching his ass off right now.

I can see myself at least earning a WC spot.

Again, being on a new team I'm not really sure I can properly judge these questions.

League Questions:

Boston looks solid right now.

1. Cubs
    2. Brewers
    3. Pirates
    4. Reds.
    5. Cardinals

Best Hitter - David Kendrick (DH, STL) is off to a great start. Finished with solid numbers last season. On pace to eclipse those.
    Best Pitcher - Kazuki Takahashi

No comment ;)

Someone from the AL. Probably Chicago or Tampa. Why? Because that's just the way things work around here. :grumpy:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

Yokohama Baystars

Took over Yokohama this past offseason and I believe they were more middle of the road as they finished 3rd in the division last season.

The only real change this offseason was that I took over the club.

Hopefully we can make the playoffs this season and see if we can't win a championship.

The breakout candidates for us has got to be 1B Shigekazu Ikeda and CF Kunihiko Kamida. As far as impact prospects I would have to say SP Sekien Imai and SS Angel Gonzalez should have a decent impact this season.

League Questions:

I think the Hanshin Tigers will be the surprise team to make the playoffs this season.

Chunichi Dragons win the division, Hiroshima Carp 2nd, Yokohama Baystars 3rd, Yomiuri Giants 4th, Hanshin Tigers 5th, Kishu Rangers 6th, Tokyo Swallows 7th.

I believe Masler will have success in Milwaukee.

World Series Winner: soxandgators White Sox

Very dominate last season as they won the World Series and I look for a repeat performance.

NPBL Cup Winner: Hokkaido Ham Fighters

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

Last year's team was definitely the best hitting team the Mets have probably ever seen historically. C Jose Garcia earned his second straight MVP award by terrorizing opposing pitching for the entire year. Injuries were a huge factor last year as at one point in the season 4/5 opening day starters were on the DL for an extended period of time. Lots of call-ups of young arms were made and those guys proved they could at least keep games close. However, the lack of good starting pitching and a deteriorated bullpen are not necessarily a good formula for the playoffs.

The Mets return their entire roster from last year but add SP Kakuei Kichida from Japan and MR Chris Smith to the bullpen (6th SP). The moves were made in anticipation of addressing the Mets' most glaring weakness, however, the likes of SP Mark Hendrickson and SP Ruben Cruz will need a solid year to make a difference.

We should be a more complete team provided that the bats keep going.

LF Bob Allen is one of the most talented players in the ML, but hasn't really lived up to expectations. He should have a big year now that he is healthy. OF Homer Hunter is almost ML ready and should be up in the bigs this year in what may be one of the most anticipated prospects in Mets history.

League Questions:

It's really anyone's guess. I think the Angels have a real chance of putting something together now that their talent is spilling in from their farm system.

1. Braves
    2. Mets
    3. Washington
    4. Philly
    5. Marlins

It would probably be silly to count out C Jose Garcia coming off back-to-back MVP seasons, but 2B Comacho from Atlanta and OF Wagner from Washington are both crushing the ball right now.

I think the Brewers are the closest to a complete team.

Whitesox? Because dynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Team Questions:

Can The A's young pitching develop enough to make this team competitive? Can the offense start living up to it's ratings.

Probably about right. We had some high priced talent that we couldn't afford that we needed to move. We were able to land a few solid prospects, Whitfield, Fox, Morgan, Buckely and shipped out Gabriel and Ju who were making a combined 30 million.

The rotation revolves around Jose Gonzalez and Santiago Hernandez. Both are young guys with great potential but need a little season to make a real jump. We didn't jump into the FA market since we didn't really have the money to make big moves and wanted to save money for our young guys like Van Den Burg and Romero both of whom have great looking futures with the A's.

I think we should be a decent club. We have jumped out to a 18-18 record despite injuries to Van den Burg, Ralston, Montgomery and Romero. Hopefully by the end of May this team will be healthy for a solid summer run.

I think Pedro Romero has a a chance to have a big season if he can stay healthy. He was crushing the ball before his injury and if he can get back to 100% I think he has a big year.

League Questions:

I like the Astos chances this year

Houston
    Seattle
    Los Angles
    Oakland
    Texas

Cole from LAA

Im going with my man Van den Burg. He has 11 Homers in 16 games and is on pace for a monster season.

Im not sure, I think the Reds can make some noise.

White Sox - they are the champs until someone beats them.

16. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Team Questions:

Slight over-achieve. The team didn't play up to their level but we still seemed to put together a solid record in winning the West. Losing our #1 starter for the season mid-way really cost us any shot at going deep into the playoffs, and we bowed out to the Red Sox in the first round.

We basically have the same team again this year. Letting a go a few BP arms and replacing them with younger in-house options, the only other move was signing SS Devan Marrero to take over at 3B vs LHP. Holman has taken over for A.Johnson vs RHP at 3B.

I'm really hoping that the younger guys can perform better this year, I need guys like Reyes\Cooper to step up and become the impact bats this year. The BP arms added from in-house should K more guys for me, but may sacrifice command in doing so.

OF Domingo Reyes - I feel like he's ready to break out, he has incredible ratings vs RHP but has yet to put it together. No prospects in the line coming this year, SP Jose Tejada may be the one who has a shot, but he needs to improve his control first.

League Questions:

Yankees offense has always been really good, with a new manager leading them I can see them making the playoffs.

Hou/LAA/SEA/OAK/TEX

Pitcher - Langley (LAA), he's a lefty and good
    Hitter - 1B Thomas (SEA), he's a stud that is flying under the radar
    Player - OF Kingwell (HOU), Does it on the defensive and offensive sides, if only he could stay healthy

redwings8831 took over Miami mid-season last year and did some good things with them. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn in a division winning season.

White Sox, same reason as the past 4 seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

Thanks for the encouragement but it was pitt4life21 who turned them around at the end of last season.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

FYI guys I'll post next year just trying to figure out what I got this year.

19. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Forgot about that... I'll keep my answer and say you keep that momentum going.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

Team Questions:

Probably a little bit of an under-achievement, losing our ace early in the season clearly didn't help.

Very few changes to the team this year, only losing a reliever or two. The only real addition to the team is rookie 1B Thurman Bell

If we can stay healthy the lack of changes should mean atleast a .500 season with a chance to contend for the west.

1B Thurman Bell is off to a hot start in his first full year in the big leagues. Hopefully he can keep this going and add some much needed offense to my line up.

League Questions:

I think my team will surprise a lot of people if we can stay healthy and make the playoffs.

SEA/HOU/LAA/OAK/TEX

Pitcher - Tofts (TEX), He's one of those guys who is solid across the board and if he has a better defense behind him would consistently get 15 win seasons.
    Hitter - OF Johnston (LAA) A special talent at the plate, already has over 60 HR's in less than two years worth of AB's and has an average of over .300 in that time as well.
    Player - OF Kingwell (HOU), Has amazing range in center and can hit for both power and average.

I would say probably the Reds or Brewers have a chance to turn some heads.

I like Tampa Bay this year, a good mix of top hitting and pitching talent.

• Like Like x 2
  21. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:

Boston made the playoffs last year.

22. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

[​IMG]
    Team Questions:

Well, the first half of the season, my Twins underachieved horribly. However, after the trade deadline, they rattled off something like 26 wins in August and put the team into the Wild Card race. In reality, the team was somewhere in between; they should never have been as bad as they were in July, but not an elite team like they portrayed at season's end.

Basically, we kept the team together from the season's end. The acquisitions were made pre-deadline (Boyer was the main one, obviously). Other youngsters like C William Dodson and SS Hye Yeon Pak were introduced last season as well.

The departure of MR Michael Allison leaves a void as the Twins don't have a left handed middle reliever, but he will be replaced by a number of quality right-handed arms. In the rotation, Damien Varin is still with the team but he came to spring training out of shape and will have to work his way back to the bigs. Phenom SP Jose Torres replaces him as the 5th starter.

I expect the team to be a little more consistent than last year and still finish around the 90 win mark, which should be good for a Wild Card berth. My offense should be stout, led by CF Lou Thomas, RF Jon Alexander and 2B Darryl Barnett. The rotation features two legitimate studs in Eric Boyer and Abraham Pearson as well as a former All Star in Berde Lauritzen. And the bullpen has Roger Hairs and a number of solid arms setting him up.

Breakout: Eric Boyer has very similar attributes to Alexander Maehle (Chicago Cubs) but injury derailed his rookie season. I think he will be great this year once he settles in.

Prospects: Expect to see Len "Kitten" Coleman at some point this year, if only as a September callup.

League Questions:

Well, they won 90 last year so they don't exactly count as a "surprise", but the Angels missed the playoffs, so I guess they could count on this list. The M's and the 'Stros are solid teams, but the Halos have a sick amount of talent, so if they can get their bullpen figured out, they should make the playoffs.

White Sox (ugh)
    Twins
    Indians
    Tigers
    Royals

Spooks and Campbell

Dru50 inherits a nice Rays team. Just sayin'...

Well, I'd love to say I can win, but until I match up better with Romero, Walker and Reyna, smart $$ goes with the White Sox.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

We underachieved horribly to begin the year after we had high hopes for the team at the start of the season. The Krause trade to Noles signified a rebuilding stage for the team, as players like Jose Costa, Carlos Saldana, Byron Buxton, Chris Hawkins, and Chris Anderson failed to live up to lofty preseason expectations. Talent-wise, this was a 85-90 win team. Turned out be a horrid 69 win season.

Didn't make too many changes in the offseason because we know we aren't going to be able to compete this year. On paper, this offense should be pretty good but it just hasn't come to fruition since owner Nolan Ryan passed away almost two years ago. We signed Victor "Demo" Canales after he had a couple of solid campaigns with the Indians, but, like the rest of the team, he has underachieved mightily thus far.

Our pitching staff is going to post the worst ERA in the AL. Book it. Tofts doesn't quite perform to his ratings and Chris Anderson has been a disappointment based on his potential his entire career as well. The rest of the staff is below average.

Stud spec Will Davis isn't going to get the call up until August or September unless there's a serious injury as he continues to develop. We really like our young outfielders Thom Abrams and Vern Gates - expect them to carry the middle of the lineup this year since Costa is cashing in his extension on male strippers and Saldana swings at every pitch blindfolded.

I like the Marlins and Orioles to return to the postseason this year.

Astros
    Angels
    Mariners
    A's
    Rangers

Langley and Johnston

The NL Central is kind of weak, so maybe the Reds could make a run. The Marlins also have a could shot this year, as I mentioned before.

I think the Astros will finally dethrone the White Sox in the AL this year and take home the Series.

• Like Like x 2