2034 Media Thread

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by ty5oke, Sep 1, 2014.

1. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

The Dugout
    This one is mandatory. Will strike those who don't reply by end of first month in regular season.

1. How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year?

2. How do you feel about the offseason? Any key losses from last season? What additions did you make?

3. Any prospects coming up this season? Who do you feel will break out this season and make an impact?

4. This will be fun.. Who's the most over-rated player in the league? Take into consideration reputation, stats, salary or whatever you like.

5. Predict your division standings at EOS? And WS matchup/winner?

6. How do you feel about the new rule to disallow arby buy outs?

• Like Like x 5
  2. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    1. How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year?
    • Last season's team was a disaster, I dont even wanna talk about it. We clearly under achieved, mostly due to injuries. Pitching was a disaster and underperformed in a large way. Clark and Aviles both had good rookie campaigns and Solano had a great year out the DH spot. Scotty Clay was on pace to have an all time great season before his injury.
    2. How do you feel about the offseason? Any key losses from last season? What additions did you make?
    • Losing Taylor and Sanders to injuries really hurts. We didnt really lose important to FA but we did sign Nagata who should be a huge addition to our lineup. We also added Cloherty and Vazquez to our rotation as well as some quality young players in the bullpen that should help improve our biggest weakness last year.
    3. Any prospects coming up this season? Who do you feel will break out this season and make an impact?
    • CF Terry Everett is getting his first chance to fully start the season and hopefully he can continue how he finished the season last year.
    4. This will be fun.. Who's the most over-rated player in the league? Take into consideration reputation, stats, salary or whatever you like.
    • I dont know about over rated, but Salvador Nunes is definitely overpaid. I signed him to a huge contract a few seasons ago and outside of his rookie year he has been pretty terrible.
    1. Baltimore
    2. New York
    3. Boston
    4. Tampa
    5. Toronto
    • World Series: Phillies / Angels - Angels win.

• Obviously I like it. I think it will help the league vastly when players actually get paid what they're worth in a few years. I feel like it will increase trading and also help bolster the pretty terrible FA classes we've had lately, as everyone wont be able to afford all their young studs anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    1. How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year? We hit our regular season goal of having the best record in the NL. But we choked in the playoffs bad.

We had a really good season out of Edmundo Colon. Been waiting on him to finally have that great season and he did. But he showed more regression in the offseason. Moses Patrianakos also had an outstanding rookie season for us out of the bullpen, and he will get a shot at the rotation in ST. John Monchak, our 3B, also had a breakout season, finishing 2nd in the NL in batting average.

Luis Pena, the closer, did not have his best season. We're hoping he can bounce back, but he will be on a short leash with Sandy Young ready to grab that closer role.

We lost a couple of outfielders, but they were anything but key losses. Both finished the season in AAA. We do thank Alec Owens for his years of service to the Cubs as a premier player.

We brought in Shinsui Yamaguchi, a standout in Nippon, to platoon with Colon at catcher. We also signed SP Lawrence Lever, but that was a signing looking towards the future and we do not expect him to be with the ML team this season. He has some more development to do and we already have extra starting arms trying to earn a rotation spot. Harvey Harris, another SP, was signed as a depth pitcher due to his dominance against us last year in Pittsburgh. Moon Soo Kim was also brought on to be our 4th outfielder. He can play all 3 OF spots extremely well. Harris and Kim are both on one year deals.

The biggest prospect coming up this year is Freddy Sims. He will play some 1B to help Joe Quate stay in the DH role, where he excelled from last year in winning his first MVP. Sims is a big time power hitter who struggled last September in his first ML action.
    Pitcher Juan Mendez will also have his first full season in the ML. We expect him to be a #2 or #3 in the future but he needs to work on developing his control and will start the season in the bullpen.
    We also expect reliever George Ladd to make the ML team at some point this season. He has a shot to make it out of ST but could spend time in AAA honing his craft. We have tabbed Ladd as our closer of the future and would like to see him get some setup work this season and prepare him to take over next season after Pena's contract expires.
    Sylvester Leonard will get a shot at making the team, but will probably start the season in AAA so he can continue to work as a starter.
    Charles Martin, another 1B, could see time in the ML this season but is expected to spend the entire year at AAA developing.

This one is easy. Scotty Clay. GIDP machine. His manager has a total man crush on him. Never seen a guy ground into more double plays than Clay.

Money wise, it's a toss up between Guibert Cavallaro and Wesley Washington. Both guys are on the back end of major deals and are no longer earning that cash. Michael Reed is also making an argument for most overpaid.

1. Cubs
    2. PIttsburgh
    3. St. Louis
    4. Cincinnati
    5. Milwaukee

WS: Anaheim over Cubs.

Not a fan of it. I totally understand the rule, since I was one of the guys who abused it, but I feel like there was a way to regulate it without going to the extreme. It's becoming more and more common in baseball for teams to buy out arby years, which players like for security purposes. I would have liked to see a rule put in place that would involve no year being lower than their projected arbitration. I'm not sure how hard that would be to police, since arby estimates changed after a contract was signed, but it seems better than just banning them outright.

I definitely agree that it could make FA classes better, although I doubt it would change a ton. I see it increasing trades more than improving FA classes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

• I felt we continued getting better as we posted our highest winning percentage since 2030. We also saw a small increase in fan interest with our attendance topping the past couple of seasons. Overall our young team is getting better in a lot of areas and we hope to see it continue.
    • Our season was a very inconsistent one. At on point we would over achieve and in the next sim under achieve. The up and down made it frustrating but promising at the same time. We really need to clean up the one run ball games as it literally was our achilles heel last year.
    • Wayne Erickson aka the next Patt Cobb improved tremendously. Even though he was reduced from starter to reliever he emerged as one of the most reliable guys out of my pen. Posting his first winning season since he was 24, Walt Garrett came out firing on all cylinders. He injury really was a setback from having an even better year but hopefully the lineup gives him more run support. Aziz Gaither and Henry Miller both anchored the lineup and produced a lot of runs and RBIs and they will do the same in 2034.
    • The guys who shit the bed no longer play for the Dodgers and the ones that a here are now backups.
    • I feel we went out and got a lot of needs to bolster our pen. Starter wise we missed out on a lot of pitchers due to money issues but we have contacted other organizations to bring one on. We did acquire another middle infielder that can also play 3B and LF in Sergio Trevino. Did we over pay him, one can argue that but only time will tell. Overall we had a so-so offseason adding 6 WAR to the team.
    • The loses we had did not hurt us whatsoever.
    • We had quite a few specs get called up in September that may get the nod depending on their ST play. OF Roberto Martinez, 1B Richard Belcher, and OF Fernando Gonzalez are the guys in mind. Would any of them make a real impact? Probably not but out of the three Belcher could surprise some people.
    • My first thought was Scott Clay because every time he did something NT would reply, "suck it (enter anyone's name that didn't like clay)." Then I remembered another player named Nick Noble that NT did the same thing with. So there, Nick Noble is one of the most over-rated players in the league :p
    1. Giants
    2. Diamondbacks
    3. Rockies
    4. Dodgers
    5. Padres
    WS Matchup: Giants vs Angels; Winner: Giants
    • I like it as it would improve these horrible free agent classes we have had.

• Like Like x 1
  5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

The Giants definitely overachieved last season. The team won 95 games and won the division for the third straight season. There are a bunch of old guys on the roster, but they keep performing. Any season could be the one where they finally collapse.

The team is basically the same. Management resigned SP Mike Davis to a 3 year deal towards the end of last season. Davis was acquired from the Indians in 2028 and has won 95 games in 6 seasons in a Giants uniform. LF Jason Smith was let go, after 15 good seasons with the major league team. Smith played great defense and formed a potent 1-2 punch with RF Harry Williams for most of his career. After this season, there will probably be quite a bit of roster turnover.

MR Paco Rangel and C Mark Allen are probably the only 2 players that will be new to the roster. Allen is a catcher that was acquired in the rule 5 draft. His development will be key, as Schloss is getting old and can no longer field the position. Rangel should be a solid RH bullpen option.

RF Wesley Washington PHI - $22 mln for a 91 OPS+ player last season. However, I believe he was part of a package deal salary dump from Colorado with other players who may have helped Philly win the WS.

I haven't had much time to look at teams in the past couple months. I'll take the Angels vs the Cubs with the Cubs breaking the curse.

NL West: 1. SF 2 Ari 3 Col 4 LAD 5 SD

I don't see the need for it. If people want to buy the years out and risk the player getting injured, that is their problem.

• Like Like x 2
  6. abolishthefed

Haha, Clay is getting smashed so far.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Last year was terrible given how I thought we would be a WC team at the very least. Our pitching sucked and we had some key hitters under perform. Marcos Gonzalez had a very solid year, as did Julio Martinez. Marcos became the first player in about five years to hit over 20 HR's in PETCO, so it was nice to see that was capable of being done again.

We have made several additions to our lineup. We added 3B Kendrick Akula as well as several platoon OF's. With the callups we made this year we were seriously lacking in the hitting department against lefties. Hopefully the additions we made will give us some depth there. And of course the key losses, Matt Ferguson died. Fuck everybody. We also traded Bill Buschhorn for next to nothing.

SS Dave Fei had an explosion of progression, so he is going to get a chance to play. Vincent Hampton will be playing CF and hitting at the top of the lineup against righties. Millard Delaney will be in one of the corner OF spots exclusively against righties. Norberto Gonzalez is going to be our fifth starter. Raymond Schmitt may be called up for good depending on how he performs in ST.

Scotty Clay, I hope he breaks his hip.

Giants
    Padres
    DBacks
    Rockies
    Dodgers

WS-White Sox over Cubs 4-2

Fair....Stern...but Fair

8. Lou

Lou Walk On

I was pleasantly surprised with how the team responded to my direction, as they were in last place in the MLB when I took over. Finishing 3rd in the division, especially after such a horrendous start, is uplifting, but I was very disappointed in their play over the final month of the season. It looks like they mailed it in. Offensively, Angel Vega and Stuart Brown were the key to our resurgence in the division. Vega was snubbed for the All Star game, but he did lead the league in HR. The trade for Cesar Perez also helped with the infield offensive power. Realistically, we are possibly a few pitchers away from contending for the division. Offensively, we were in the top 5 in most categories.

I feel I should have made a bigger splash in the offseason. There were 2 pitchers we were targeting, but I offered contracts, then realized after one that the CPU had given an option year. Since I could not be sure if that it only happened on the 1 player or everyone I had given contracts to that sim, I had to withdraw 4 player offers. Pitching was our Achilles Heel last year, so we tried to address that, but I still feel that we SHOULD have ended up with at least one of the top FA SP.
    As far as additions, we are EXTREMELY excited about the addition of Denny “Hulk” Meyer in the Rule 5 draft. There were a bunch of pitchers that we added as well. It’s too early to tell, but I have a strong suspicion that this year’s rotation and pen will outperform last year’s. (But that wouldn’t be hard, as we were dead last in all pitching statistics in the NL.) We have 4-5 pitchers in the minors that will be part of the future of the Rockies, so that’s very exciting!

Meyer is a prospect, but will spend the entire season on the MLB roster, as he was a rule 5 player. Mike Anderson is another elite pitching prospect that could see MLB time before the year is over. Anderson and Meyer are projected to be the #1 and #2 for the Rockies for years to come! Logan Skaa, Bob Allen, Howard Kemp and ___ also will have opportunities to make the MLB roster this season, especially if any of the current MLB’ers falter during the season.

I haven’t been in the league long enough to scout everyone enough to say anyone is over-rated, except for maybe some of my players…. Tim Clark was HIGHLY overrated considering he was posting a +6 ERA for my team last year, which is why he was not offered an extension.

1. Giants
    2. Diamondbacks
    3. Rockies
    4. Dodgers
    5. Padres

WS – Phillies vs Angels

I’m not really excited about it. I appreciate that the move was made to help bolster free agency and create more player movement, but if it’s allowed in real life, I think it should be replicated in the league. I’m new, so I’m don’t have clout in this, but if some GM are more savvy than others, that’s really where you get your elite teams vs your perennial cellar dwellers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

Overall, I was happy with how we performed last year. The Rangers were coming off a 65-win year the season before, and we upped our win total to 81 to finish .500. I thought 2B Jose Chavez was huge last year - he didn't have a ton of RBIs but posted a respectable 2.9 WAR for a guy making 1.5 million and was 36 years old. He got on base a lot which helped superstar SS Will Davis post the number he had. For the first time since I became GM in 2027, I was happy with how the pitching staff performed throughout the course of the season. Julio Reed and Bobby Maddox, who were acquired in a trade when I shipped Andy Tofts to the Mets during the dismal 2032 season, really added much needed depth to our staff. Jose Gomez, who we got in the Rule 5 draft from the Giants, also had a better than expected year and was a reliable lefty starter.

Didn't really make any moves during the offseason because of my financial situation, but we added a solid bullpen arm in Tony Cali and traded for Baltimore's OF Tekeuchi who we like a lot. Lost Tim Rivers to the Astros, which sucks, but we had to let him go as we continue to bring in the youth movement. Star SP spec Max "Sweetness" Larsen also progressed enough during the offseason to warrant a starter's role after performing ok in the bullpen last September, so he immediately becomes the ace of the staff with Reed right behind him.

Like I mentioned, all of the eyes in the organization will be on Larsen. But Vicente Maldonaldo in AAA could also see the ML before the season is over. He looks like a poor man's Will Davis. Once he gets a little better at second base the Rangers won't hesitate to make the call up. I'm also looking for some of my power bats to step up and hit a few more home runs than they did last year. My ballpark certainly isn't going to hurt them in doing so.

Might be biased, but I'm going with the "Sha" Buschhorn. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he was a former Ranger, I swear. I do think a strictly DH with good, but not great, ratings doesn't deserve 21 mil a year. Considering the production (or lack thereof) during his year in a Ranger uniform, I think he may have duped Dru into giving him that deal after finally performing last season.

1. Angels
    2. A's
    3. Rangers
    4. Mariners
    5. Astros

Anaheim makes it back to the WS after beating the White Sox in the ALCS, Cubs destroy a bad NL. Anaheim wins in 5.

I certainly used it to my advantage before. Real no way to keep players from taking contracts that make them look stupid, so as much as I liked buying guys out, it's probably the right way to go.

10. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

Massively underachieved. I don't even know where to begin with how disappointing this team was.

I believe we return every player from the WS championship except for 1 SP. Even the entire benches and bullpen return. SP Dickso was great last year but we think he benefited from our great defense and isn't as good as his stats suggested. We brought in a couple pitchers to compete for that open SP spot. With Sabine getting injured in the WS, he's going to miss the start of the season so we brought in LF Harry Williams to fill the hole. Then we brought in SS Jimmy Lege in the Rule 5 and think he's capable of taking the starting SS spot with Michael Reed's disappointing regression and Diego Castro having played out of position for it for the last few months of the season.

Lege is the only real prospect. I'm hopeful that he'll win the SS spot.

Ricardo Rivera for sure.

1. Phillies
    2. Mets
    3. Braves
    4. Marlins
    5. Nationals

WS - Cubs vs White Sox - White Sox Win

Not a fan and it should've been implemented differently if it was such an issue. Players drop off and get injured so there's always risk with contracts even if you feel like people are locking up players too cheaply. There's been plenty of players that I've bought out of their arbitration years thinking it was a deal only for it to turn into a contract I wish wasn't paying them. So much so that I had pretty much stopped doing it. OOTP is still a game and sometimes you need to just need to let the game be. You can't fix everything.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year?
    I felt my team over achieved. My top two rookies ended up being stars in Art Nielsen and Rodrick Simms we will see if they can keep it up or if it was a freak year.

I really hated my offseason. I got more money but I could not sign anyone till the end. I greatly will miss Serigo Trevino his defense took our team to the next level. My biggest and really only add was Takejiro Kato he will help us shorten games to 6 inning which we all know is important.

None really all the studs are in the MLB.

Any cube imo they are all over rated because they never win when it counts :D Roggie

1.Cubs
    2. Bucs
    3. Cards
    4. Brew crew
    5. Reds

WS Phillies Angles Angles win

I'm not a huge fan of it players can not be as good as you first think so I think it is a risk reward see Paco and Bob Hines for me. I know there is a flaws in the game so I'll live with it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Could you not afford Trevino? He was a big pickup for me.

13. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

I could he just didnt want to sign at least i get comp

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Obviously I'm pleased with how the season went. After I took over I was able to swing 3 deals that shored up 3B (Manuel Lasalvia), gave me another usable IF swing player (Gabe Charles) and a high end bat (Bill Buschhorn). Lasalvia and Buschhorn especially helped push us to the postseason. The young SP staff really came together, and exceeded expectations.

The offseason went well. We extended Sha, and while it was likely an overpay, if he'd hit FA I think he'd have gotten pretty close to that amount anyway. The biggest move though was swapping 4 players to get Jeff Morris and Jim Brewer from the Reds.

Well, I wasn't expecting any, but the CPU added SP Stu Gray to the ST roster and he can't go back to AAA as planned so he will be in the bullpen this year and I'll pray he doesn't cost us too many games. I just don't think he's quite ready.

I suppose I'll go with Nunes just based on payroll relative to recent results.

Minnesota
    Detroit (I like the addition of Ron Johnston)
    Chicago
    Kansas City
    Cleveland

Fine by me.

15. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The Brewers certainly exceeded expectations for last season, and despite a sub-.500 record it's hard to be disappointed. Going into the season predictions had the Brewers as dead last in all of baseball, and going into the last sim we were only 6 games out of a wildcard spot. Richard Brady had a great rookie season in CF, and was disappointing he didn't gain more traction in the ROTY race but showed signs of a positive future. Tom Smith was the season's big underperformer, with a giant contract and barely keeping the batting average over .200 he was released without hesitation this past offseason.

The Brewers will feel like they covered some of their needs in the offseason. The hole at 2B left by Tom Smith's disappointing season and departure will be filled by Ivan Longoria, who plays fantastic defense and should provide steady offense. Larry Lewis provides a big upgrade defensively at first base, and will allow the aging Larry Arrington to move full time into a designated hitter role. Juan Silva replaces Cesar Vazquez at the back of the rotation. The fans were disappointed in Vazquez leaving, but hopefully will forget him soon if Silva can get off to a hot start. And finally, catcher Mike Madden was picked up in the Rule 5 draft as the heir apparent to Ron Burke. Madden will spend the season as the backup catcher, but provides a better defensive option and has the potential to grow into a pretty good hitter as well.

No prospects from the minor league system will be starting the season in the major leagues, but the aforementioned Ivan Longoria will be playing his first professional season in Major League Baseball. The Brewers are hanging a lot of hopes on him to break out early and drive the offense.

I haven't been here long enough to know a lot of the guys without some research, but I've got to go with the Yankee's SP Salvador Nunes. The biggest contract in baseball this season went 15-37 over the past two years with an ERA rising to 5.38 last year.

1. Cubs
    2. Pirates
    3. Brewers
    4. Cardinals
    5. Reds

World Series: Angels def Cubs

Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the game to understand why it was enforced. I know its an option in real life so I don't know why it would need to be disallowed here, unless there were ways to abuse it.

16. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

When you make the World Series it was a good year. As for the team I controlled last year, I was extremely pleased that the Marlins made the playoffs but was slightly concerned that it took a massive trade to jump-start the team. In a pretty bad NL East, I expected to contend for the division without having to blow up the minor league system. Bob Johnson and Santiago Hernandez, acquired last off-season from Pittsburgh and Colorado respectively, were massive upgrades in the pitching staff and the acquisition of Antonio Vargas brought in a steady closer for the next 5 years. I was disappointed in Oliver Medina, who led the NL in home runs allowed and has yet been able to put a good season together, especially for the money he makes.Steve Bird put up a third straight .290+, 25+ hr, 105+ season and should be a staple in the middle of that lineup for the next 4-5 years. 2B/CF Ivan Garcia had a nice season, raising his average by 40 points.

I thought the offseason went well. We blew up the bullpen and brought in two more viable closers in Edmunt Hunt from Kansas City and Takashi Satio from Orix of the Nippon League. These two in addition to Brahme Gargeya will form a closer by committee for the first portion of the season. LHP Jose Reyes was also acquired from Texas to provide depth in the middle innings. We only made one acquisition on the offensive side, bringing in Steve Lewis from Arizona to be a tablesetter for the power in the middle of the lineup. We've also shuffled around the infield (Martinez to 2B, Herrera to 1B, Stephens to 3B) and by moving Dave Harris to DH will hopefully improve on defense.

Catcher Andrew Lawrence, 2B/SS Vilhrem Roth, OF's Ismael Gomes and Dale Ellis all made the opening day roster and will be given ample opportunity to perform this season. Lawrence, Gomes and Ellis will be in the lineup against left handed pitchers. MR Ramiro Rodriguez, C Preston Irwin and 1B Jose Gonzalez are a little further away, and might see time at the major league level when the rosters expand in September.

Ricardo Rivera

1. Orioles
    2. Rays
    3. Yankees
    4. Red Sox
    5. Blue Jays

WS: Angels over Cubs.

Also expecting the Marlins to win the NL East. If healthy, that team is set up for a run this season. moshingpenguin

I'm fine with it. I've bought out players in the past but will happily go along with anything that makes the free agent classes in the offseason better.

17. moshingpenguin

moshingpenguin Walk On

Took over the Tokyo Swallows about 1/3 of the way thru the season, had them jump a few paces and eventually win the Championship! I'd be lying if I said it was only because of me, definitely some luck in there, but felt good nonetheless.

Haven't really had the splash/upgrades I was looking for. Most pieces are set for this team, definitely have a chance at a run but need an upgrade at 3b and CF still.

Unfortunately the farm system is tied for last right now, just a few guys who could be stopgaps for an injury, no long term solutions in the farm.

Honestly don't know enough yet to make a great answer on this one.

Phillies look strong, but I think the Marlins should have another WC run this year! The Giants look like my current favorites for the WS.

Could be interesting, I've always liked the risk/reward with buying out arb years but also like the bidding process for FA too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

We tailed off during the late part of the season. I was hoping to be able to make a push for that final wild card spot but we eneded up not even finishing .500.

The offseason went ok, no big losses or big additions really. Although Thompson and Miner could turn out to be nice additions to the rotation.
    There's a chance of Dave Austen getting called up later in the year. He had a couple months on the big league roster last year but played pretty poorly and probably won't be called up until September unless there is an injury.
    I'd have to say Nunes, he had a really good first year with the Yanks but since then I don't think he's been living up to that $241M contract.
    Angels, Mariners, Rangers, A's, Astros...Cubs over Angels
    I understand why the rule is needed and I think it will be good in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

We sucked. They all sucked so bad.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping Music Man makes it up in the fall.

Roggie

Cubs
    Cards
    Pirates
    Brewers
    Reds

WS - Mets vs White Sox - Sox win again.

Indifferent?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

A rash of injuries and the lack of offense closed the door on any chances we had coming up to the mid-way point last year. Our pitching staff was one of the top 3 in the AL for the 4-5th straight year. With SP Danney Carey's death/contract behind us we now have a few newcomers to the rotation.

Kyung-Un Yi has finally tailed off in production. We attempted to fill the gap by committee but were unsuccessful. We re-signed Yi for cheap to use him in a back-up role this year to young OF.

We signed 1B Ron Johnston to a decent contract for his production. He hit more HR than anyone on the Detroit roster last year so we are hoping he can fill that role successfully. We gave up a comp pick for him so we are all in on him, this year especially. Also brought in SS Francisco Lopez from St. Louis to play as our INF back-up. We were not confident in any of the youth movement coming up yet.

LF John O'neill - Came up from the last sim last year but we get the starting nod in LF this year. He grew an ugly mustache in the off-season and hope he can be a boost in production over Yi. If not, Yi will be back in LF as he has been for a number of years in Detroit.

SS Andy "Magician" Dukes - Making the leap from AA ball where he posted solid numbers we love his progression. With great defensive skills as SS and above average batting skills we are hoping he can make the leap to MLB and contribute.

SP Greg Anderson - Former top #25 overall prospect and EL Outstanding Pitcher of the Year last year, will start the season in the 4th SP slot. With 10 more control still to develop we felt that he would give us the best chance coming into this season.

SP Nunes (NYY)

Twins
    Sox
    Tigers
    Indians
    Royals

Really like it. Having been in the league now for 17 seasons, the FA classes have become a dumpster fire of over-priced has-beens. I commend mgmt for trying to wrangle in the rule benders, but with the ability to close out the game and attempt to re-offer contracts to players who tell their owner to F off no good players were ever able to escape arbitration and hit the open market.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  21. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

We clearly under-achieved in my mind. Ended with a -8 pyth record diff I believe and struggled with injuries all season. At one point 1/3 of my opening day 25 man roster was sitting on the DL. OF Pat Johnson struggled in his rookie season, almost all pitching struggled. Thought rookie SP Nate Scott had himself a decent first season to build upon.
    Fairly quiet offseason for me as I was counting on players coming back from injury. SP Tim Clark was the highest FA I brought in with 7M per for 2 years. He's a lefty, high K and BB guy with decent movement. Hoping he can keep the ball in the park. Made a small trade with the Cubs bringing back SP Bryan Holmes for some rotation depth and picked up a lefty mid-level prospect. Late trade in ST, saw me pick up 2 OF who are more for depth than stars and a flyer on a young SP while saying goodbye to Kent Cooper who mashes RHP.
    Most likely will see Conner and Vessey make the team at some point but don't expect much from them. Would like to see 'Music' improve and make it to the MLB at some point.
    3B Gonzalo Herrera - No way that guy should be a 5* player.
    Angels/Rangers/A's/M's/Astros
    Cubs over Yankees

Wish it didn't have to come to this but it was being abused too much. There are plenty of posts on OOTP forum that mention the flaw in the game and house rules are used in many league because of this. When players are signing long-term deals for less than their arby estimate there is something fundamentally flawed.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Yankees? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  23. abolishthefed

Must be expecting a huge year out of Scotty Clay, despite all the hate.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hartwell6

Hartwell6 Walk On

Will this be mandatory for NBA managers as well?

• Like Like x 1
  25. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    You and David get a pass being new, but you can due it if you want.

• Like Like x 1