2043 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Gravity, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

The Dugout
    1. How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year?

2. How do you feel about the offseason? Any key losses from last season? What additions did you make?

3. Any prospects coming up this season? Who do you feel will break through this season and make an impact?

4. Predict your division standings at EOS? And WS matchup/winner?

5. Who had the best offseason (trades and FA requirements considered)?

6. Who do you think will have a breakout year this season (not from your own team)?

7. What is your philosophy when it comes to team building and does your current team fit that philosophy?

8. Predict the Cy Young / MVP winners.

2. Lou

Lou Walk On

1. How do you feel about last season's team? Did you over or under achieve? Any players who had breakout season or underperformed for the year?

I think we were right on target. Won division, took the eventual World Series Champ to game 5 in best of 5 and was up 2-1 earlier in series.
    I really felt that Ken Anderson underperformed after taking over as the closer. Hopefully, he lives up to his potential moving forward.

2. How do you feel about the offseason? Any key losses from last season? What additions did you make?
    It was a decent offseason. We missed out on a few guy we really wanted in FA, but I think the trades for Crimp and Meek were just what our team needed, along with the addition of the 3 new RP.

3. Any prospects coming up this season? Who do you feel will break through this season and make an impact?
    Kurt Sullivan will likely stay in the majors this season. I fully expect Donald Morton to play well this year, and hope that Meeks can ball out also.

1. Colorado
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Arizona
    4. San Diego
    5. San Francisco

WS will be Cubs vs Twins with the Cubs repeating.....:yuck: painful to say that!

The Twins, that pesky CPU signed all the big money deals and really gave the team great depth.

6. Who do you think will have a breakout year this season (not from your own team)?

Hitter - Bill Saunders Hou
    Pitcher - Mark "wild thing" Vaughn from Cleveland...LOL

7. What is your philosophy when it comes to team building and does your current team fit that philosophy?

score often, play good D and pitch very well....
    My team is getting there, but I still need 1-2 more pieces.

CY Young
    AL- J. Mitchell NYY
    NL- R. Glider Pitt

MVP
    AL - Jesus Rodriguez KC
    NL- Sal Baca NYM

3. guayo10

guayo10 Walk On

I was out drinking Mojitos in Pinar del Rio. Didn't see one minute of MLB.

At the time I was still stuck wandering. Here's a gift for all that have yet to go
    [​IMG]

CF Joe Spivey, he'll probably stick around rotating in the OF and some SS

Might also see the youngster Clarence LaFlamme up (SP) in September. Or earlier.

1.Tigers
    2.Indians
    3.Royals
    4.White Sox
    5.Twins

Yankees v Mets. Mets win. I keed, Bronx Bombers FTW (but I'm really just throwing darts at a cow here, have no clue. Could look up and do research but eh).

Thought it was voting season, I was absent.

[​IMG]

Pancho Arreola (Mets). CHAPIN POWER (also my dude lets talk a deal)
    [​IMG]

No Americains. Ha. I keed. Although my top 3 players are from Lithuania, Chile & Puerto Rico (CHILE & LITHUANIA?!??!). On a serious note, build from within. Even with money I'd rather build this team internally. Might make a move here or there due to excess of one position.

MVP = Joe Spivey
    CY Young = Babe Ruth's Legs (NYY)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

We went 80-82 last year. Our main highlight of the season was an 18 game win streak that put us over .500 late in the year. We returned to form however and finished slightly below .500. I look at last year as a positive because it really showed me where the holes in my team were, namely defense and contact hitters. Gregory Taylor had what I would consider a breakout year, as did Mark Johnston.

I think we had the best offseason of any team. We gave up Dan Glenn, who was a solid power hitter but a poor fit for our park. We completely turned around this team and look like we could be a real threat in the division this year. We added Pancho Arreola, who looks to be one of the best young talents in the league. He will be leading off for us and also provides some solid defense. We also added, albeit on accident, Big Country Saikawa. Despite not meaning to offer him a deal, we did and he will be joining our team. Despite being 35 he is still a major threat at the top of the lineup. After a great first sim he looks poised for a solid year. Beyond those two major additions we also added some solid defenders who can play multiple positions, namely Keith Moody and Kevin Pierson, the latter of which will be getting the start in the 9th spot of my lineup.

We have virtually no specs to speak of, but Robert Kisner is going to be my 5th starter. Hopefully he doesn't get shelled too bad.
    Mets
    Nats
    Phillies
    Marlins
    Braves

Pittsburgh over Yankees in 6 games
    I think I did, granted I know every move I made. I can't say the same for other teams. I think the biggest event to happen is the rating increase from the Pirate's 1B. He basically just added an allstar overnight and it cost him nothing.

Pirate's 1B Alex Long

Being that I was stuck in the hitters wasteland that was PETCO for the first part of my OOTP career I developed a teambuilding style based around one thing, scoring runs. I had a mix of power hitters and contact guys, it didnt matter to me. All I wanted was a team who could get on base. I like my team's to walk a lot, I feel like if your team walks enough it is just a matter of time before the flood gates open on the other team. I have also increasingly been more focused on defense than I have in the past.

AL: Mitchell/Eldridge
    NL: Longo/Pi

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:

Regular season, we definitely underachieved. Had a Pythagorean record of -12, meaning we were one of the most underperforming teams I've ever seen. Stat wise, we were great, finishing in the top 2 in runs scored and allowed in the NL, but we had to win 2 out of the last 3 games vs Pitt just to make the playoffs.

Playoff wise, obviously we did what we were built to do. We finally ended that damn curse, and Steve Bartman (although he's probably dead by 2042) is off the hook.

We revamped our bullpen this offseason, adding closer Carlos Chavez and setup man Kiyoshi Saito. We're hoping Saito's arm holds up for this year (and possibly next). Chavez is one of the most talented closers in the league and should finally be that impact stopper that we haven't had since Longo closed. We also added Dan Hayes to be our backup catcher, a position our depth has historically been pathetic at.

We traded away a bit of our depth due to having an overload of pitchers and outfielders. Fernando Gonzalez was sent to KC for a young SP spec, Ricardo Rodriguez was sent to the Mets for a prospect we really like in Tyler Jordan, and the perennial overperformer Bill Davenport was sent to Arizona for SP prospect Dean Sanchez, who our scouts have been hyping up recently. Gonzalez and Rodriguez were players who had to be moved due to no space, and Davenport was going to become a FA this offseason, so he was moved so Cliff Hanna could start in the rotation after an excellent spring.

Jacob Millar gets a rotation spot after doing very well in spot start duty last season (and because he's out of option years). Cliff Hanna also earned a starting gig after beasting spring training. OF Richard Collins will start the year in AAA to get at bats but will be up any time an outfielder is injured, which happens all the time on this team.

Armando Calderon will start the year in AAA to learn to play 1B a bit better, but will be the first guy called up if an infielder is injured. Dave Donahue will be in AA working on learning 3B, but could also see time if an injury occurs. Kevin Dreisewerd will be in AAA as well, but could possibly see time if we have a run of injuries on SPs.

Pirates
    Cubs
    Reds
    Brewers
    Cardinals

Pirates over Rangers in 6.

I'll probably have to go with the Mets. Finally realizing that defense matters, they shipped off a guy in Glenn who is a bad fit for their park for a stud leadoff hitter in Arreola (who I missed buying in INT FA by 100k...) They also got a really good SP in Ricardo Rodriguez.

It's Tim Wigan time.

I've stuck to my guns when it comes to team building. I like to build from within. Never been a fan of selling the future to win now, and I've been able to avoid doing that. I want a balanced team, but I do prefer AVG/OBP to power. Pitching wise, I haven't been able to do exactly what I want, which is get a bunch of ground ball pitchers, but I'm hoping that can change in the future.

NL Cy: Harrell
    NL MVP: Salvador Lopez

AL Cy: Manuel
    AL MVP: Sosuke Tanaka

6. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:

It was a confusing year. We were one of the best teams in the league for 4 months, and then the train ran off the tracks and suddenly became one of the worst in the league. Still made the playoffs and nearly pulled off a wildcard win, but it wasn't meant to be. SP Bret Bailey especially went from having an All Star year to a guy that can't hit the strike zone.

This has been one of my most active offseasons. We traded away some young but expendable players and prospects in order to get some older but still really talented players in SS Jon Wright and SP Ryan Cook. We signed a lot of FAs to compete as role players but there weren't any FAs that we felt deserved to have the truck of cash backed up to their house.

CF Barney Schmitz did well in minimal time last year and was slated to replace Sam Andrews in CF. Of course he then got a big injury in Spring Training, so we'll see how that pans out.

1. Nationals
    2. Phillies
    3. Mets
    4. Marlins
    5. Braves

Cubs over Angels

The Pirates because they didn't trade Gilder.

DET LF Jaime Cervantes

Score runs and don't allow runs. That usually comes from playing elite defense and having players that put the ball in play and put pressure on the other team's defense.

NL CY: Longo
    NL MVP: Longo for the repeat

AL CY: Manuel
    AL MVP: Hit Man

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Lost game 7 in the World Series but we certainly over-achieved. In a year where Mike didn't kill off half my rotation we pitched just good enough to get ourselves over the hump and make a run in playoffs. Unfortunately the bats cooled off in October and we had to scrap our way back into the World Series. Outside of two late inning home runs, and Solis going on short rest (my mistake), we could have won it all. Was happy to see Gomez and Cervantes (both home grown talents) blossom under pressure. Those two will hold down the corner OF spots for years to come in Detroit. They are also both eligible for ROTY this season.

Only event of mention was signing Lance O'Farrell from KC to back-up platoon the infield. He posted a solid 3 WAR last season and we are hopeful he can contribute when called upon this year. Also signed Guy Richard to also help in the INF but not much is expected

SP Julio Sanchez. He got 4 starts at the end of last year, winning all 4 and posting a 2.15 era. Also SP Carlos Serrano. Will provide relief help and will be our 6th starter when needed until Foster O'Neal makes his show appearance.

Tigers
    Twins
    Indians
    Sox
    Royals

Tigers over Nats

Lots of trade activity with a rather poor FA class. Not certain who had the best but I know for certain it was NOT the cpu and the Twins

Indians SP Mark Vaughn

We over-hauled our team development strategy around 6-7 years ago and I believe we are beginning to see the pay off now. Back to back division crowns and ALCS appearances. Last year winning the AL pennant.

AL - Manuel / Eldridge
    NL - Harrell / Krobot

• Like Like x 2
  8. rschwep

rschwep Always Rebuilding

Featured Threads:

Well, I was terrible once again, largely due to the youth movement, so I expected as much. David Green was our massive breakout star of the year and it's nice that the farm system is churning out some five-stars. Pretty much everyone else underperformed though.

Didn't really lose anyone of note -- decided to let 1B Ned Garcia go due to his money ask and his inability to get on base. Made a few cheap acquisitions that we hope can plug some holes, namely Jose Gonzalez (to help against lefties). Also acquired two young Rule 5 pitchers, one via trade, in Andre Nelson and Jimmy Young that we hope can turn into reliable starters down the line.

No impact prospects of mine are starting the year in the bigs at the moment. Anxious to see the development. We've taken the farm system from 29th when I arrived to 6th now so it's been good progress.

NL West could be wide open. I'll say, in order: COL, SF, ARI, LAD, SD. I'm still one-two years away.

Surely I did because the last of my bad contracts is now off the books. $36.5 million payroll!

Probably Armando Calderon since I traded him to roggie.

My philosophy is heavy on sabermetrics and heavy on youth. Right when I arrived I knew I had to blow up the ship and I knew it would take years. We're finally starting to see the type of team I envisioned with all of my dead weight off of the books. Everyone left on this team is on a deal that I gave them, which is great. I only have four players above the age of 30 in the entire organization. We're going to develop together and see what happens.

NL Cy: Harrell
    AL Cy: Manuel

NL MVP: Lopez
    AL MVP: Zhulidov