#22 Tennessee Runs Through Athens to the Victory

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by joshwitt, Jul 31, 2011.

1. joshwitt

joshwitt Walk On

May 30, 2011
    AP (Athens, GA) The Tennessee Volunteers ran through Athens this afternoon in route to a 37-34 victory over the struggling Bulldogs. Tennessee entered the game 3-2 on the season and in 5th place in the SEC East. The Bulldogs entered 1-3 on the year.

The Tennessee offense set the tone for the game on the opening drive, going 12 plays for 82 yards capped off by a Tauren Poole touchdown up the gut. The Vols continued to control the game for most of the first half, with a 20-10 lead late in the 2nd quarter. A much-questioned 4th down attempt by Coach Josh Witt blew up in his face and led to a Bulldog score before the half. "I don't know what I was thinking." commented Witt, "It was on our own 37. I should've punted. If we punt, our D could have held. It was just a really, really, bad call. I mean, Les Miles would probably even say it was a bad call."

The Vols were able to overcome the bad call in the second half and hold on after a late touchdown pass by Aaron Murray and a failed on-side kick attempt.

Tauren Poole lead the Vols offense, running the ball 26 times for 153 yards and 2 scores. Rajion Neal carried 15 times for 72 yards, and Tyler Bray was serviceable, throwing 13-21 for 158 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception.

"I was really happy with the way we controlled the line of scrimmage today" said Witt, "Tyler threw the ball well enough and Tauren really ran hard. Cameron Clear also caught some big time passes for us that extended some drives."

The Vols are hoping to crack the Top 20, and will face LSU at home before a bye week.