2k13 Demo Impressions

Discussion in 'NBA 2K' started by CalebMackie, Sep 29, 2012.

1. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

What do you think about this years game? For starters I can't make any real assumptions just yet seeing how I haven't played on a difficulty harder than pro (I assume at least). Things I've noticed right off the bat though is that it is much more obvious when I am using an elite player which I find very improved. Some of my biggest qualms with 2k12 had to do with the bench players looking like all stars way, way too often so seeing the gap between a great player and a good player was nice. Driving the lane is going to be a lot easier this year which I think is good and bad; hopefully it does not become the main thing everyone attempts to do seeing how I could practically do anything with LeBron James if it involved me attacking the basket. I noticed that wide opens shots were much easier to make even with worse players which is definitely nice seeing how a NBA professional that can shoot to a degree shoot almost always make a shot uncontested. The last thing I noticed was how smooth dribbling with the stick felt which may not be a great thing; my reasoning here is that if it becomes too easy to cross people over it will become something that will be a hinderence to a sim community. I mean that's the way I feel at least, don't get me wrong, being able to do realistic crossovers is nice and feels good when pulled off but being a basketball player, it feels a little arcade-y at times when I can just criss cross all over the court without anybody poking the ball out.

Just my two cents - Tell me what you think

• Like Like x 1
  2. sschevyridah

sschevyridah Walk On

I played the demo only twice. (Not a fan of either of those teams. Looked and played very fluid. The demo was actually a build from 3 months ago from what Ronnie 2k said. Just waiting on 12: 01 am 10/2/12

The return of actually being able to play onball defense really stood out to me in the demo. Well atleast the user I was playing. Really llocked in on D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CalebMackie

The only gripes I currently have would be the lack of being able to change my camera view (for obvious reasons) and the look of the players but seeing how you said that stuff about the 3 months go I can see how they'll be polished better so that is no longer a concern.

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I think its going to take me some time to get the new controls down, not sure what 2k things they are gaining by making such a huge overhaul to the control scheme. I think the camera thing is probably demo only, 2K has always had a ton of camera angles so to only have 1 would be a shock to me. The game play felt pretty good , not thrilled about how easy it is to steal the ball :( I am sure anything online with guys you dont know will be a cheese fest in that regard.

Overall I am pleased with the gameplay , some other things not so much but overall I am eager for this thing to drop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I think they did it to give the ball handler an advantage. Too many times bigs could keep up with smalls and it was due to a lack of creativity with the basketball. I've never been a fan of having the same stick doing your "skill moves" the same one as player movement like it was. As far as camera angles, that and calling plays has always been stripped from demos. Kind of lame, but i can see why they do it. The game looks real fluid and i'm loving the contact that you see on the court, i think we may see guys like Wade, James, and Dirk live at the free throw line due to this. Something refreshing seeing as fouls were hard to come by unless you put it on simulation sliders.

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Good call on the fouls JJ I did not think about that , I have high hopes for this game. If the online is as decent or better than prior efforts I will be ok, wishing that the server issues in past are better but 2K has let me down in the past

7. CalebMackie

I agree that the fixing of contact in this game will add for much more fouls which is great, I was on OKC playing somebody online and Harden came in and he actually felt useful in this game. I remember trying to use him in 2k12 and since contact was so scripted and fouls were so hard to come by, a player like James Harden was practically useless. Now with the dribbling and the contact issues they fixed, he has become extremely useful in their game. I really love the addition of signature abilities because it truly does make players play like themselves; shooters are shooters, defenders are defenders, and elite players play like elite players. It is wonderful to see how much the signature skills are playing out even within the 5 minute quarters I get to play. I think if Madden can do these types of signature skills like this it would make the game feel incredible as well, it's a great idea and from the way 2k has executed on this idea it really makes the game feel highly realistic in terms of how these players are on the court. ​

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Madden had it and they made it so fucking arcadey, the game was unplayable. Hell there was even a new Rocket Catch glitch based off of the acrobat catch trait. But i agree, it appears 2K has implemented it PERFECTLY

• Like Like x 1
  9. CalebMackie

Haha oh yea I do remember that... Yea I think I just have to accept 2k is better at executing shit like that

10. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I've got this downloaded. Hope to dabble in the demo today after class.

11. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

You won't regret it. Only two complaints i have is that its only 1 quarter and i don't care for either playable team.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I need to download this so I'll make the mistake of buying it.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Blasphemy. 2K is the only sports title I play release date to release date, as far as offline play goes.

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I don't play offline.

• Like Like x 2