2nd Annual KnightNoles GM Award

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by sonn, Jun 2, 2013.

1. sonn

sonn Walk On

First of all; Thanks to the popularity of inaugural KnightNoles GM Award ryalaman and I are pleased to announce that Universal Pictures, the makers of Jurassic Park, have agreed to become our official sponsors. The Jurassic Park trilogy is available everywhere on DVD and Blu-Ray and stay continued for news about the 4th film in the series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. Chicago White Sox soxandgators
    [​IMG]

Well, we really could make this a career achievement award by talking about everything else that he’s done, but we’ll start out with the White Sox starting rotation. The Rule V draft is a time to laugh at teams that leave good players unprotected (and especially Timpegoose for somehow always missing that export) and to pick up decent bench/bullpen pieces for the upcoming year. Unless you’re the White Sox that is. They made the perfectly reasonable selection of Josh Fuller at 1… then proceeded to take 4 more SP that they would try to craft a starting rotation out of. I’m not sure I’ll ever quite understand why. The White Sox have plenty of money and plenty of trade chips. There wasn’t a need to create the worst pitching staff ever assembled. By the time the White Sox realized how dumb their idea was, all that was left was castoffs hanging out on the waiver wire so they decided to craft a rotation out of 4 waiver pickups and Fuller. If the White Sox rotation isn’t the worst in baseball this year, then someone else must legitimately be trying to win this award next time around.

He also made the Juan Jose Orozco trade with Toronto. Orozco for Miguel Gonzalez straight up would have been a bad trade. And fortunately for the White Sox, that wasn’t the trade that was finalized. There were PTBNL in the deal that some people have been speculating on. League sources have confirmed to me that the PTBNL going back to Chicago is the Jays 1st round draft choice this year. This strikes me as odd considering how opposed to these types of trades the White Sox GM seemed to be when discussing them in skype. So, this isn’t really as much of a bad move as it is a hypocrisy call out that I get to do here because fuck you, I run this feature.
    ryalaman

2. Detroit Tigers Fmode11
    [​IMG]

Another career achievement award (sort of). The Tigers were one of the best teams in baseball with a strong farm system when Fmode took over. Now? They’re an also-ran in a division that is basically a glorified AA level division. He blasted this team back into the stone ages… you know, that time when dinosaurs and people roamed the Earth together in perfect harmony.

A lot of the decline of the Tigers can be blamed on bad managing. A prime example of that comes from last year’s Tigers squad. Deven Marrero is a SS. Much of his value comes from his glove. He has very little experience at other positions. Rob Ames is a 2B. He is very good at this position, and he can play 2B fine despite his Jeter-esque noodle arm. So, obviously, it took the Tigers 2 months last year to figure out that Ames at SS and Marrero at 2B was a bad idea. For a team that finished just 4 games out of the playoffs, this gross mismanagement may have very well cost them a playoff spot.

The Tigers also signed CF Mason Williams to a 5/$40M deal after his awe inspiring 0.9 WAR 2019 season for the Yankees. He has predictably been horrible in Detroit, and the Tigers cannot find anyone willing to take on 8M a season for a fringy 4th OF. I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that he won’t end up finding a suitor to take that deal off of him.
    The Tigers also come from that cesspool of sadness and poverty known as Detroit so they should just be on this list for that reason alone. Amirite BigSmooth33 ? Thankfully, Obama was around to bail out the auto industry before all the NPB teams in this league completely bankrupted Detroit.
    [​IMG]
    ryalaman

3. Tampa Bay Rays PepperNY
    [​IMG]
    Since winning the World Series in 2018 the Rays have just been trending downwards thanks to head scratching personnel decisions and an MIA manager. After making the playoffs seemingly every year the Rays have spent the last 2 seasons in the basement of the AL East. Pepper took the losing hard and started hitting the bottle. It's the only reasonable explanation for all those missed exports and why catcher Chet Anderson spent the whole season in the big leagues while being a negative WAR player. Everything came to head this past offseason and our venerable commissoner was forced to boot his former Redshirts mate shortly before the season. Thus the second reign of Pepper ended ingloriously; on the bright side he'll have plenty of time to see Jurassic Park 4 next summer. Taking his spot was Sharkman37 who was last seen leaving The Dugout after having a bitch fit following some innocent comments from the respected Colemanchu. Shark has already created some controversy with his requesting a draft pick in a trade for RF John Adler leading some to speculate that a rule will be implemented as soon as next season to stop trades like these from happening in the future.
    sonn

4. San Diego Padres NeuroticTruth
    [​IMG]
    Honestly I could just put Wayne Barnes and that could be enough for NeuroticTruth to make this list. The player he received for one of the best hitting prospects the dugout has ever seen, SP Jake Odorizzi lasted just 7 starts as a member of the Padres before he was shipped to the Brewers for a bunch of spare parts. Moving with Odorizzi was 3B Dan Davis aka the other big offseason accquisition for the Padres. So for those keeping score all the that the Padres have to show for Barnes (who helped the Orioles repeat as World Series Champions) was John Stilson who actually was even worse then Odorizzi ( -0.5 WAR vs 0.3 WAR). Making things even worse is that Odorizzi has turned things around so far this season. Hopefully things turnaround in San Diego soon as the Padres seem to have a permanent home in the NL West basement finishing last 5 of the last 6 years. But if they don't at least I'll have plenty to write about for next season.
    sonn

5. Chicago Cubs Shaun Mason
    [​IMG]
    Few teams where as pitful as the Chicago Cubs were last season finishing 19.5 games out of first place with a 68-94 record. That marked the 3rd consectutive year and the 6th time in the last 8 years the Cubs had finished in the Central cellar. Shaun had a chance to take a franchise cornerstone with the number #1 pick but instead chose to reach on Bob 'Breezy' Little who while looks like he'll become a good #2 or #3 but at #1 it's not a reach you can make especially with Carter Hamilton taken at #2. Another head scratching move was the decision to let Lucas Lang leave in free agency, Lang was one of the few bright spots in a dreadful season putting up a 3.66 FIP and 5.1 WAR. The next few season's look to be tough for the fans of the Cubs as the team will have to go through a lengthy rebuild.
    sonn

Honorable mention:
    Cleveland Indians @JFace907- The king of killing prospects and outfielders. Next on the dead prospects/outfielders list is Guillermo Madrid. There’s already a nice grave right next to Shin Soo Choo after he died of his broken skull. The #WINdians are dead in under a month. Back to the #TeepeeTankJob.

Los Angeles Angels krtgolfing - I know you’ve (somehow) made the playoffs the last 2 years and all. And I know you have a huge budget out there. But dear god, those contracts you gave out. I don’t see a scenario where they don’t come back to bite you in the very near future.

Washington Nationals KnightNoles - The Nats blew a 3-0 lead in the NLCS and let Miami win the pennant. At least KnightNoles didn’t force a rule change to prevent him from being booted from the league this year.

All of the NPB- No one cares about you. No one will ever care about you. Everything you do is ultimately meaningless. ‘Murica, fuck yeah.
    ryalaman

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 17
  2. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

What sonn also forgot to say: All of you people on the list are turrible and should feel bad.

• Like Like x 3
  3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Damnit, I slipped to 4th? WTF... :(

Btw, Odorizzi lasted 9 starts with the Padres, GET IT RIGHT.

4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Rule 1: Never let facts get in the way of perfectly good opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Phew, still just honorable mention. I know my day is soon coming where i make the top 5

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

Wished this game was played on the sticks sometimes...

7. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

Oh, my mistake. Regardless though, that Barnes trade should keep me on this list for eternity tbqh.

8. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Knew it was just a matter of time!!

9. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I can't wait until Fmode sees a picture of Obama beneath his summary. Good stuff.

10. sonn

sonn Walk On

It will.

Every time Barnes gets a hit for the O's I'll look to the heavens and curse you.

11. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

I'm still waiting on a thank you from ryalaman for helping him win back-to-back championships.

12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

All Japanese cars suck ass.

13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

Perfect.. just melted my heart.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

That would not of changed anything.

16. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

17. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Oh yeah??? I will stick with my Honda Civic.. American made cars are pieces of shit... Have zero reliability.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

A lot of Hondas are assembled in the US now tbqh.

19. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Yup I know... But they have higher quality and standards than american cars, or at least it seems.. I had a 09 ford mustang for a year and it was always breaking on me.. Went to a 07 honda civic and have had just regular maintenance!! Love American classics which will be my thing once I have money!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Yep...and a few of us on this site work for that company.

• Like Like x 1
  21. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

And I will be sending my resume to the Honda factory in Greensboro close to graduation!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Bravo guys, bravo

[​IMG]

23. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

love it. Been back a week, made one trade , and made the list.

24. sonn

sonn Walk On

Rays made the list because of your predecessor.

25. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Great job again guys. Shocked that Masler was nowhere on this list though.

• Like Like x 2