3-4 defense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by tbishop82, Jan 12, 2012.

1. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

It's my first time running the 3-4 defense and I actually like it. Problem is that the good CPU teams are running and throwing all over me. I gave up almost 700 yards of offense to Aubie. I went conservative on the big hits and ball strip and they still broke tackles. Auburn used a lot of 3 receiver sets so I spent most of the time in nickel (3-3-5 and regular 4 man front). Usually a 2 deep zone with man underneath or a straight 2 or 3 deep zone. They were balanced running and throwing out of this set. Which do you guys use more against the 3 WR sets? 3-3-5 or 4-2-5?

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

tbishop82

I am assuming you are using Georgia, what year are you in?

I mean 3 WR you could still be in base 3-4 :eek: lean towards a 3-3-5 though

3. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

True, although I never do stay in base (guess I automatically go to nickel out of habit). This is season 5 of dynasty, but year 1 for me.

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

yea, it just depends on down and yardage if you would stay in that base.. How well do you trust your LBs to man cover that one slot and HBs, and you can always zone blitz out of the base

5. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

okay thanks, I think I've had a lot of success defensively against average teams, but when I play good ones I'm giving up a ton of big plays.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

I run and stay in 4-3 until they go to 4 wide then I drop into nickel. The key to stopping the CPU is pressure. If you can count to 4 after the snap and not get the QB they will find someone. So man up and blitz them a lot, and alternate that with cover 2 zone. Basically you need to come after them hard and often. You will get beat over the top sometimes but they will complete less passes and as a side effect you will completely shutdown their run game with your blitzes.

Another thing you can do is turn pass defense to aggressive, this will get you some take aways.

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

If your on the road against teams like Auburn normally they are going to start the game on fire and will probably get up on you. Just stay with your game plan run the ball and try to control the clock, at some point the CPU is going to let up and give you a chance to get back in the game just execute your game plan and be patient. If you start throwing the ball all over the field so will they and you cant win a shoot out against the CPU with these sliders.

8. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

I've tried the three man fronts, and I just don't like them. Of course, I play Tressel Ball, so I like to keep everything in front and make the O run as many plays as possible to beat me. I play a bunch of two deep, mostly man, and I just eat the slants and crossing routes. If I get pressure with my front 4 (and I usually do) I can play whichever safety has fewer responsibilities and try to cause some trouble in the passing lanes.

Against better or explosive teams, I set the strip and big hit options to conservative - make sure guys wrap up. Blitz sparingly and never go cover 0. I rarely send more that a fifth guy, unless I really expect the run - and even then I call a zone and audible at the line. Just habit, I guess.

I prefer the four man fronts. Spread the line, and you don't need to blitz much. But that's just me, though. I must admit I'm kind of jealous of all the options the 3-4 presents, all the different angles you can attack from, but at this point, my style has kind of become my style.

Protect the ball on O, make'em run ten plays+ to score, and you'll never get blown out. That's how I roll :)

9. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

Dude, I know what you mean I always use 4-3 as base, but figured I could adjust to 3-4. Auburn was unbelievable. Beat me deep several times and nailed the short stuff.

Thanks bdub thats what Aubie did. Came out and lit me up then I was playing a scoring battle.

10. I have actually been using the 3-4 front for a few years ever since Bill Parcells brought to the Dallas Cowboys. Was using it on Madden then have continued to use it as Notre Dame in my other OD. I do like the different attacking options the 3-4 offers and its easy to go from 3, 4, and 5+ rushers. I very rarely will bring a DB blitz but that doesn't mean I wont do it. I would prefer bring one of my LB's who are more suited to rushing the passer. I think alot of people's aversion to using the 3-4 is that you leave the two guards open to get on the 2nd level to your LB's but your shifts and stunts can quickly negate that.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

One thing I know for sure is the 3-4 is a pain in the ass to run the triple option against.

12. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Yes it is. The different attacking options can really throw off your reads.

As much as I have wanted to go 3-4, I think I'm just too accustomed to having four D-linemen. I think I just see the flow of the plays better because I've been doing it for so long.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

See, this is why I like to run the Multiple Defense approach... Gives me both options depending on the skill sets of what I've got from year to year...