3-4 in '11

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by GSUtiger, Aug 11, 2010.

1. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

3-4 in '11

I've always been a base 4-3 guy in football (real life/vid games) but i'm thinking of trying it out in NCAA 11. What are some tips you guys could give me as far as how good it works in '11? Is there a big difference playing the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 (besides extra speed on the field)?

2. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

more room for error too. If you play LB in a 4-3 ussually the LB has to make the tackle where in the 3-4 your buddies will cover your asss

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

this year more than years past the 3-4 can be a bit tricky. two big reasons for this ...

1 - Improved running game with more emphasis on following blocks and setting up plays - versus last year when guys just pitched and optioned all day long.

2 - Increased importance of players ratings and also their body size.

So, if you throw out a 3-4 defense with players not suited for the 3-4, you run the risk of getting pounded with the inside and fringe running game (dives, blasts, counters, power-o, etc.)

So here's some tips/thoughts ...

- You need big, strong defensive lineman. You're not going to get away with some 245 pound speed rushing ends and an undersized nose tackle. you really need a NT who's 300 pounds plus and to big DEs in the 270s to 280s or better.

- Less of an emphasis on the DL guys making plays, and instead their job is to really occupy the offense to let the speed and athletic LBs make plays. So instead of having a DE who can speed rush from the outside, you want a DE who can cut inside occupy the line and open up holes for the LB behind him.

- Same for attacking the running game. The DL's job is more to harass the OL and take up space to let the LBs make the plays.

- Ideally looking for a great group of LBs. if you're replacing an 80 overall DT with an 80 overall MLB that's probably not a good trade. But if you can get a talented LB on the field its worth it.

- The MLBs might need to be a bit bigger and stronger than normal, since they'll be dealing with more offensive lineman getting to the second level and taking them on. So if you can get a good MLB who can throw off the block of a center, it'll help your running game.

- LBs overall need to be more versatile and the guys on the edges really need to also be effective pass rushers. Without that you might not be generating much in the way of pressure on the QB.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

good stuff Bly

5. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

great points. Your MLBs don't have to super fast. If you can get a guy with high 70s speed with good accel and good block shedding they will fit great.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Good stuff Bly.

I'm thinking about moving to it but until I get that DT to do it with I'm staying 4-3. My question is though, it seems zone coverages are much less effective in `10 than they were in `11. With that in mind, you tend to run a lot more zone blitz schemes out of the 3-4 and while the blitzes are awesome, if the zone coverage behind them is shit then it's not going to work.

Any thoughts?

7. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

you mean zone is less effective this year? thats 1 weakness i noticed from 11 that 10 didnt have. zone blitz isnt as effective, but tuner set 2 has tweaked zone coverage so i need to go test it

8. Gozer2312

Gozer2312 Banned

If you choose your defense and make it Multiple D you can use both the 3-4 and 4-3 so you can experiment with both.

9. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

When blitzing, Zone D works best, I have found that man coverage when blitzing gets you burned big time, especially if you don't have a safety over the top.

10. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

you think so? in 10 zone blitzing was awesome and deadly...this year pre tuner zone was bad vs cpu or user

11. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

yeah if you blitz in man you have very little margin for error. If the blitz gets picked up or you don't get to the QB you're in trouble.