360 vs. PS3 (Question)

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by JHeb, Apr 3, 2010.

1. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

360 vs. PS3 (Question)

My 360 came down with RROD last night...3 of the 4 lights turned red. Not sure what to do. If I can't fix it, I'm thinking of buying a PS3.

At this point, is there much difference in the two?? Take into consideration that the only games I buy each year are the NCAA College Football game and Madden.

Thoughts?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I started this same thread a while back for similar reasons.

Xbox live $7 a month
    PS3 online free

Gameplay: same

Controller: personal preference

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah the biggest thing to me is that PS3 has free online gaming. If you want a true explanation go to a PS3 forum and say "Xbox Is Better", lol I'm sure you'll get every great detail about a PS3.

But us PS3 owners can catch the YLOD, I am one of the unlucky bastards to have been infected.

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

add bluray player to PS3 and they also have netflix now too

5. dbackfan98

dbackfan98 Walk On

:word:

i have both, play ps3 mostly do to the show

as for controller preference i saw something on a forum about a cross xcm that lets you use the xbox 360 controller on a ps3.

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

It's sounding like the PS3 is the early leader...I used to be a PS guy, had the PS1 and PS2 then moved to the 360. I like the bigger controller for the 360 but from what I've seen of the PS3, it seems like it has much more to offer than the 360. I especially like the blue ray player part of it and free online gaming. Plus, I know you can use the internet through it on your TV. Can't do that with the 360.

7. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

yea, I was a big PS guy but the PS3 was a tad bit pricey at the time compared to the cheapest 360...

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I had YLOD on my first PS3. Sent it for repairs but was completely broken by UPS. Result = free, brand new PS3 Slim :)

I agree with PS3 as choice. Price of systems are similar and PS3 doesn't charge for online gameplay. The system also has Blu-Ray player and upscales regular DVDs to 1080i.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'm all but convinced the way to go now is the PS3 over another 360...I can't seem to figure out any arguement for the 360 actually.

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

Better graphics on the 360..... Ps3 talks abot better graphics but most of there games come in as only 720 where as 360 come in at 1080. More players online for the 360. Don't need a disc for netfix. Don't have to wait 20 min to dl and 10 to install to play games.

Ps3 is just a suped up blueray player. I have both and the only ps3 games I get are ps3 exclusives.

11. GoGators

Not sure about the graphics, but I agree with everything else. I have both systems too and primarily use the PS3 for exclusives, or storyline games (assassins creed etc). I like the xbox360 controller better since I don't want arthritis when I get older haha. I think the PS3 is the better system overall with online capabilities and bluray, but I think xbox is the better gaming system for now. The $8/month sucks though.

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Xbox live is less than $3 a month. I haven't paid more than $40 for a year subscription (and it's usually a 13-month)

Personally, I feel like the online gaming interface for XBOX live is much better and well thought out. Again, that's just my opinion, which is why I don't mind paying the money.

13. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

The reason i say better graphics is because even though Sony say it has a better better processor for better graphics their games always come in 720, while all the games i checkout for the 360 come in at 1080.

Even the show is 1080 i belive, but the 1st screen say to get better visuals to switch to 720...

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I guess I'm more worried about another XBox now that this one crapped out on me...Anyone know if one or the other has had more issues with failures?

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216691.html

A good article. They have a graph of failures over time. Although the xbox is still high, it has drastically decreased since Q3 2008.

The fact remains that the xbox is still more likely to fail, but as several PS3 guys here can attest to, you are not immune from crashes.

17. GoGators

Yeah, my PS3 shuts off at random due to the over-heating issue. It's in an open space and well ventilated but it doesn't matter.

18. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Based on what I've read all over about RROD, I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones. I had one of the 1st gen 360s and had absolutely no problems with it (other than the disc drive sounding like a jet engine which was solved when we could finally install the games to our HDDs). I replaced it about a year ago (I think I had the old one for 3 years) so that I could get HDMI (the 1st gen ones didn't have HDMI). If I didn't want HMDI, I'm sure that my old 360 would still be going strong. I traded it in to gamestop for some money for my new one. I've had my new one for over a year with no issues.

The only consoles I've owned were genesys -> PS (1) -> 360 and, by far, I like the feel of the 360 controller the best. For me, that alone will likely prevent me from ever owning another playstation.

19. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah when I first got my PS3 I accidentally left it on for about four straight days. After being used to 360 (db) I didnt even realize the thing was running.
    Besides that I would rather pay for XBOX Live than get the PSN for free, its just easier to use. Also the PS3 controller annoys the crap out of me.

20. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

You guys know we have huge gay XBox style controllers for the PS3 right?

21. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah but I spent that money replacing the generic RCA cords you get with the PS3. I think they used the same ones on the regular Play Station.

22. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Yes they did. That is one thing that amazed me about the XBOX, that they provided an HDMI. The only other guys that do that are Directv. I can't think of anything I have sold in the A/V world that has ever had an HDMI included.

Mike

23. Milbut

Milbut Walk On

To OP:

Considering you said you are only buying Madden and NCAA I would say make the decision based on what your gut says feels right. I was a PS guy from the beginning, PS1, PS2, then when the XBOX 360 dropped I switched. After all this time my original 360 is still running strong, but I've regretted the decision every year. Being comfortable with the controller is a big part of it. I still to this day do not feel AS comfortable with the 360 controller as I do with the PS one. I finally bought a PS3 this year when The Show came out and I will be returning to using the PS as my main gaming system.

Wanted to point out for a bunch of guys who talked about graphics, if the game doesn't specifically say, "optimized for 1080p" it my not actually be 1080. Take The Show this year as example. It is 1080 compatible, however it takes a 540 signal and up converts it, it isn't a true 1080p signal. Hence the reason The Show recommends 720 this year. Apparently The Show did support 1080p last year, however from all I've read they weren't able to render everything fast enough to keep using that format.

24. justin

justin Walk On

I would like to state that the graphics on the PS3 are better. even though i have a ps3 i am not biased.
    most people dont know that 1080i and 720 p are just about the exact same.
    because p (progressive) is better than i (interlaced). Plus the 360 doesnt go to 1080 p while the ps3 will.
    i enjoy both, but the better gaming and overall console is the ps3.
    but for some reason i kind of like the 360. just hopefully it doesnt break.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads: