4-3 Over vs Under

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by ChaoticUT, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Can one of you x's and o's guys explain the difference in these 2 formations to me. They seem like the same thing just flipped? Seems like I could call 4-3 under, hit r2 and get 4-3 over... or vice versa? Am I way off? When would you use each?

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

You're essentially right...
    http://football.about.com/cs/a/over43defense.htm

The main thing that I've seen in real life, is coaches will use the under/over formation depending on their personnel... For example, Michigan might run some of it this fall with Cam Gordon as the rush LB. I believe the Ravens used to use it too, utilizing Terrell Suggs as the "down" LB.

3. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

You can think of it that way Chaotic , but what it really does is tell your interior line: NT and DT whether to shift their gap assignments strong side of weak side. These formations also give the offensive line more work to do interms of who picks up who, and what gaps are being rushed. The formation sometimes switches where your #1 interior DT goes, should he play on the right side or the left side? These two formations really help when you start to pick up things on the offensive play selection: OH! this guy always runs towards the strong side, etc. IT can also help when you know who is weakest and who is strongest on the offensive line or if you want to take away a double team for a talented DE.

To make things really simple Over = Run, Under= Pass. In Over you're going to put your d-line over the strong side of the offensive line and Under your D-line is aligned on the weak-side, not allowing double teams on a pass rush.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    There are also considerations for gap fitting against heavy-set running teams and option teams.

Essentially you can prevent double teams on your NT by sliding him into the 3 technique in the OVER package. However, this leaves the backside G free to chip your weak DT (in a 1 technique) and get to your linebackers (will with a TE, Mike without) in backside A-gap dives/options.

The under package has your NT play a 1 technique and your weakside DE plays a 3 technique. If you have a big NT, this can allow him to pick up double teams to allow your Mike/Sam LBs some room in the run game (gap fitting) or the passing game (blitz schemes). This is why a lot of the 4-3 blitz packages have the LBs cross a gap (or sometimes two) before they enter the pocket. It doesn't really translate to the game very well, but this is where having a very veteran/intelligent G/C combo can make or break your protection and running schemes.

5. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

In the game, it also moves the Strong Safety to the side away from the down linebacker... so that's something to consider as well.

6. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Thanks for all the input guys, got some really good information flowing.

I just wanna make sure Im on the right page, for the sake of the game, their essentially the same thing? minus minor personnel (FS/SS switching and Will/Sam either on the line or backed up)

If I suspect run I should shift d-line to the strength, if I suspect pass shift dline to weak side?

7. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Yes and No LOL, we haven't even touched blitz packages & offensive line shift tendencies....

Suggestion, come out with your game plan "I am going to go over on run and under on pass" "I am going to roll strong side and blitz weak side' etc etc. Then start watching your opponent and make your adjustments or throw something in their to throw the offense off its gameplan.

When I play the game I try and get mental snap shots of everything the offense is doing: line, rb, qb, wr, etc. I try to find patterns and attack the patterns.