4-3 Question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, I'm giving away a bit here, but I think it's necessary given the situation:

Typically, I run a 4-3. Most of the time, I keep to safeties back, but when I blitz, I usually only bring one extra guy. I almost never do the cover 0 thing.

Which brings me to my problem. In the past, the 4-3 had a number of ways to bring a LB, any LB, man up with one safety, and keep the other safety back. This was my standard blitz package. Now, I can't seem to find those plays in my book. I think they might be gone. There was a MLB blitz out of the 4-3 under, an LOLB blitz out of the Normal set, and a ROLB blitz also out of the Normal set. All of these plays simply sent the extra guy - no fancy shifts or dropping DEs. Now, with those plays apparently not available, I don't really have a defensive system I like. All three of those were audible fallback plays for me, and my defense isn't really my defense without them.

Would anyone shoot me if I went 4-2-5? I see a few of us already are, so I don't think it's out of bounds like it has been in the past.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch you needto give up your 4-3 ways and come over to the 3-4 side

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I thought about the 3-4, but I don't have the hefty DT in the middle, and I'm thin at linebacker. How's it holding up against the run this year?

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

If you get creative with the fronts fine.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Maybe I will go that route. I'm not saying 4-2-5 is a junk D or anything, but we runs the power in the Big Ten. I'm gonna need a beefier D. Maybe a 3-4 with a 4-4 added in, for when I have to deal with the MSU two TE stuff.

6. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

That week 5 matchup will be here before we know it. Expect to see a lot of those 2 TE formations from MSU.

I, too, noticed that a lot of plays went missing from the 4-3. They added a lot of plays - many of which I like - but they took away a lot too. I really don't understand how you can add custom playbooks and then strip out most of the plays from the formation. Instead of having a lot of plays to pick from, all of the plays are already in the book. Notable ommisions:

Cover 2 Man Press
    Cover 1 Man Press
    Cover 1 Man Sam Blitz
    Cover 1 Man QB Spy

And ... this one kills me ... has anyone noticed what happens if you change a defender to Spy in the pre-play adjustments? They spy the HB every time. If you have a mobile QB, you can't (or, at least, I can't) get the defender to Spy the QB.