4-3 vs 3-4

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Danthraxxx, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

What defensive scheme do you run with your team ?

What do you feel like its strengths are ? What are the weaknesses you have noticed ?

What type of player do you need next season to be better ?

Looking to get some input from our league members , maybe share some thoughts so we can all play some better defense and stop seeing 42-35 games.

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Before getting the Packers last year in TLY, I was always a bend but don't break 4-3 guy. A lot of zone, not very much blitzing....trying to let my opponent make a mistake. When I started playing as the Packers, I ran the 3-4 and loved it. A lot of different ways to bring pressure, usually in ways that you can disguise. Not sure if my opponents feel that way, but that's the goal... ;)

The strength and weakness of the 3-4, IMO, is the same thing. If the front 3 can shed blocks and clog the run, the defense is really tough to play against. But if the big guys can't get off blocks, its gonna be a long day.

I need another big play inside linebacker and a nose tackle to replace Ryan Pickett, who is getting old.

• Like Like x 1
  3. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Team: 49ers
    Scheme: 3-4 base
    Strengths: Run stopping
    Weakness: pass rushing

Next season, I need my Safeties to improve in pass coverage and a NT to control the middle of the line

• Like Like x 1
  4. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Team: Redskins
    Scheme: 3-4 base
    Strengths: Front 7
    Weaknesses: Secondary

I definitely need to improve the corner position next season. I could use a true 3-4 mountain of a man nose guard and afford to move Coefield to more of a DE in this scheme. I generally always play defense pretty well, my weakness has always been putting points on the board. To be honest my D generally keeps me in the game, it's my offense that lets me down. Although there are a few games where i've been completely blown out, and it's generally the guys who are passing all over my ass.

My outside linebackers (Orakpo and Kerrigan) have been working on their pass coverage all season and it is starting to pay off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Moon I am working on turning my younger OLB on my bench into coverage guys personally , I figure if I move to 3-4 I will have to just sub them in on pass packages.

I felt like I played some solid defense against Shaun Mason before we de-sync for the first time all year.

But then again it is Weeden & the Browns.

6. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Attacking 43

Strengths are gap and edge control. Seems to require a good user LB or S more so than the 34 though.

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I need some of that Gravity or antcap24 MLB user skill , or a MLB who is not slow as dirt.

8. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

4-3

Changed my philosophy on D and it seems to be helping.

Forcing a lot of incompletions and minimizing the run game.

Cant "stop" either in this game, but I don't feel helpless anymore.

9. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Team: Cardinals
    Scheme: 3-4 Zone Blitz
    Strengths: Outside Contain, Run Defense, Roster Options
    Weaknesses: Middle Third (will explain), Pass Rush

I love running this scheme. It's not as viable in the game as it is real life but you can really fuck with people with this. The biggest thing to any 3-4 defense is the OLBs. If those guys are great, you can really be effective. Last cycle, Hali and Houston made running outside literally impossible for people. No TE could block them 1 on 1 and then everybody else cleaned up. And if you're forcing everything back inside, run defense gets way easier. Plus, specifically for the Zone Blitz, not many people in TMFL run it. There are some attributes that transcend scheme (fast LBs, block-shedding DL) but I can grab corners that have great zone coverage as opposed to man. And because of how you can change things up, you can bring pressure from different areas, as well as run blitz. Plus a lot of guys get confused when they see a zone blitz and will throw immediately when they see the LBs coming, that gives you a good opportunity for turnovers.

The bad part of this defense is the pass rush unless you get those aforementioned OLBs. That's probably my biggest weakness. You're going at people with 5 pass rushers versus 6 cover guys. There are going to be holes in the coverage and if their OL can block your 3 DL and two LBs for any amount of time, any good TMFL user is going to fuck you up.

And those holes are usually in the middle third. Basically this is the space between the Deep 3rd zones and the three underneath, hook zones. You can counter this with good usering of an ILB or Safety, but those holes still exist.

Overall, still love this scheme and I can't imagine running a 4-3.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I Peench

If you had Tuck and JPP, I'm sure you could imagine it.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I get tons of pressure with the 3-4, but that's me.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Looks like I need to start running a 3-4

13. Baron

Mingo + Kruger + Sheard > My scrubs.

Speaking of... Sheard on the market?

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Depends on the return.

15. Baron

I'll get in touch with you when I'm off work.

16. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I would like to run a 3-4 I just don't know if I have the personal at the moment to make the switch. I am no where near as good with the MLB as I was last year. I could generally count on my LB's forcing turnovers in last years league. I still attempt to run a Cover 2 defense though, I really am not so much dependent on the cover 2 as much as I am zone coverage in general. With my team I have a number of big hitters and in theory they should knock the ball out when they hit people in the tight areas (They did last cycle) but so far I suck at this game so what do I know?

17. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I prefer the 3-4 Zone Blitz but i dont have the roster for it. At least for the next 2 seasons ill be sticking with the 4-3. I have bigger needs to fill in the upcoming draft.

18. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Team: Panthers
    Scheme: Attacking 4-3
    Strengths: Front 7, pass rush
    Weaknesses: Secondary

I've been a 4-3 guy for a long time, and the Panthers are set up perfect for it. Strangely enough, I seem to be playing my best defense of the season right now with 3 of my starting defensive linemen down with injuries. It's hard to ascertain how much is me getting better versus the sliders and passes just sailing for people. I try to show a lot of different looks and confuse people, using mostly zone and zone blitzes. It seems to be working. My two starting corners are ancient vets I picked up from FA, gonna be huge holes there for me to fill next season. They've been dominating. I also have a very old starting safety (32), but he may have a few years left in the tank.

19. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Team: Dallas Cowboys
    Scheme: Attacking 3-4
    Strengths: Pass Rush
    Weakness: Safeties, DT

I hate how the Cowboys switched to a 43 because I am hurting on what I can do with Spencer and Ware (no depth). Plus I cannot change their position to OLB and progress them the way I want, oh well. My Safeties are good in run support but cannot cover Baron, who runs a 6.8 40. The DTs I have are old the younger ones do not fit in my scheme. I love playing zone and like to send pressure through zone blitzes while heavily relying on my pass rushers to pressure on the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baron

5.1 40 time senior year of High School, I'll have you know!

• Like Like x 2
  21. I Peench

Laser or hand?

Keller ran a 4.4 hand time, I ran better. Bottom line? Hand times don't mean dick.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Baron

[​IMG]

23. I Peench

[​IMG]

24. Baron

[​IMG]

25. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Not sure if I am figuring out how to play with 4-3 this cycle or if I just played two teams with crapy QB's (Weeden & Rivers) but I am starting to get some better results.

Geno Atkins going off has certainly helped.