4th and 2, your ball...

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by BigSmooth33, Feb 24, 2012.

?

4th and 2, fake punt... Was that...

Poll closed Mar 9, 2012.
  1. Ballsy, wouldn't do it personally, but it's a coach's call

44.4%
  2. Retarded, wouldn't do it personally, but it's a coach's call

7.4%
  3. Retarded, wouldn't do it and its full on cheetos

22.2%
  4. A great call, would do it personally in that situation

25.9%
  1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

1:30 to play from your own 46...

Up 1, opponent has 1 timeout left... Has been hitting the guys in the seams and posts over the middle for big slices of yards... So you've got a chance for the first down and to seal the game. You run a fake punt get first down and seal game...

Curious about all of your input.

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Its tough either way. Personally i wouldnt but i play it safe. If someone has been hitting that all day and with Ncaa and the clock don't run on 1st downs i could see why you would do that since a fg wins the game and 1:25 after punt lets say and 1 time out for him its really easy to get into fg range for a chance to win

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Where's other?! I'd go for that shit! <-- Probably not a popular TSO choice. I don't care, I'd hold ma dick in celebration as I send the GG message ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Meant to edit the poll to say go for it, but forgot and can't edit now...

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Hey! why you always short selling this wonderful community!!??

:(

6. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Added it for you my friend :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I think we've both been on this forum long enough to know that 90% of the guys on TSO would have a shit storm if that happened to them in a game. Stop tryin' to turn this into a 'Jerzey Hates Us' thing -- its really not that.

8. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Iron Mickey

You got me! Hate Crime!

10. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

I was under the impression that we are always supposed to punt on our side of the 50, no matter what. I can see the logic in thinking this is a good play call - I'm not really disputing that. But I am curious about where the idea of that "rule" came from. What that ever TSO policy, or am I imagining things?

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Punt the ball and play D. Especially at that point in the game and from that spot on the field. If he has been doing the same thing for yardage (especially going over the middle) I would be sitting right there lurking, waiting for them to throw it at me a couple more times.

12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Another caveat that should be clarified, you've got all your timeouts

13. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Is this NCAA? Because if you're doing the fake punt to the up-back that is straight cheese. I don't know anything about madden. If I have all 3 timeouts, I line up with 4 receivers and a HB and choose a pass or a run at the line. If it looks bad, call a timeout and line up in the I-formation or punt.

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

NCAA

15. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

So....... most leagues have rules that would classify this as cheese, it is usually something along the lines of 4th and 1 past your 50 or 4th and whatever in long FG range if your kicker sucks or 4th and whatever when losing late...... Plus, fake punt run to the upback (if that was the call) is defenitely straight cheese, especially if the play was breaking a league rule - meaning the guy wouldn't have called a defense or fake punt protection play assuming you would follow the rules.

Now, for me, I would want to go for it - with a straight up play call and permission from my opponent. If i were in the other seat, I would instantly grant permission, you are basically both saying one play, not a gimme, if he converts it is over, if he fails the other guy needs 10-20 yards depending on his kicker to set himself up for the win.

IMO the punt or FG fakes are gruyere, if you want to go for it call a play

16. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

I have never heard of this. Is the play some kind of automatic gain or something? Also, it's perhaps worth noting that there is no rock-solid league rule about this kind of thing, so nothing was violated, nor was a violation intended. Whatever the opinions about the call, it was a straight call from a straight player who intended no wrong. That much is certain.

17. Wyrmreaver

That play call would be a violation of the "standard" TSO 4th down rule IIRC, but some leagues are more lax.

The run to the upback is essentially an automatic 4-8 yard gain if your opponent is in a punt return play call, at least it has been in the last few versions..... I don't ever call it

18. Wyrmreaver

Plus I am an ND guy, so, since he has a "michigan man" as his avatar.... we hates him!

19. Iron Mickey

20. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Yeah it is a cheesy play, and although it's not written really anywhere on this site, if you've ever used it, you know it's cheese and works too well. It shouldn't be used in dynasty games.

21. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Something working in NCAA? WTF are you smokin'?! lol

Nah, I was reading in one of the Xbox leagues about someone being successful. I'll speak for my league and my league only -- nobody ever fakes punt enough to even know its that successful. Now when you guys say its successful, are you in a regular punt return formation or a PR safe return?

And... are you Jason Kapono?

22. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

from playing ranked games, yeah it works. Against really cheesy opponents, you'll see that run on 1st down or in goal line formations which is a reason why I haven't played a ranked game for a few months. It works against just about anything, punt block can slow it down, but stopping it for a no gain is almost impossible. If I'm going to fake a punt, I'll do a fake pass (probably only done it once or twice) or one of those fake rooskie plays (I've never tried that.)

And...no

• Like Like x 1
  23. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

i did the same thing almost just about a month ago to ice the game, but I did it from even deeper in my own territory...cold blooded! (gus johnson voice)

and I don't know about it being cheesy...I've seen that shit work, and I've seen it not work. I've ran maybe 3 fake punts in my entire life so.....?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  24. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I heart Gus Johnson

25. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Yeah against me. Dirty Cheeser.

Haha, nope I was fine with it. Would have made the exact same call.

26. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Had I missed it you woulda won. Now that being said if we weren't both desperate to get outta that game to play 2k I probably wouldn't have done it.