4th and for the win...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by scarface, Mar 14, 2010.

1. scarface

scarface Walk On

4th and for the win...

I know this is the rule ............

We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

* Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    * If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like

But I have a if we have a chance to seal the deal by going for the first down on say 4th and 1 or so are we permitted to do it?

Rules say no but says we can be aggressive too....

2. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Yea I think we may need to review this rule with game situation in mind. If a team is winning under 2 mins in 4th qtr by 7 points or less, I think they should be permitted to go for it to possibly get the first down and run the clock out for the win. It should be up to the coach to decide his fate because if he makes it, he has a chance to get the win. If he doesnt get it, then it gives his opponent the opportunity to tie or win the game. It's a gamble but it's one were I think the GM should be allowe to choose.

3. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

There is no need to change this rule. The rules are fine.

If you don't like the rules you can quit the league.

4. Trashyman44

Trashyman44 THELOU CRUSHER

i disagree with this statement.

Just bc someones trying to make a league better doesn't mean they should quit.

Who wouldn't go for it?He could have sealed the game.

Most leagues the rule is 4th and 1 past the 50 and u can go for it but if u can seal the game,u should be allowed. Pats in real life would have,and this is supposed to be sim.

I think the rule should be re-examined IMO

5. scarface

scarface Walk On

LOL, fool I posted this so people can talk about within reason not telling people that if they dont like it quit.

thing is if you have a chance to win the game why cant you go for the win?

Why must you punt and allow your opponent a chance to win?

Again I am not saying 4th and 5 4th and 10 I am talking about 4th and short.

if you just are here to flame then maybe YOU should quit.

6. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Gaddy I apologize, I flew off the handle because I guess you misunderstood my post. I wanted to hear other owners opinion on this rule or propsal. I'm not complaining because I loss and I'm not upset. There's nothing wrong with asking for something to be reviewed. If the rule stands as is, I'm good with it. I just wanted to have some discussion and it wasnt meant to be taken to the RC to have action made on it. I think we can have discussions like adults here and talk things out.

7. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

hmmmmm. is this de ja vu or have i heard that before?:HoosierHoo:[

8. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Maybe this league is not for you if you don't like the rules. They are fine.

9. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Why all the anger??

Can't we all just get along :p

10. scarface

scarface Walk On

I agree the rules are fine BUT when you are saying this BS because your proposals about manually moving guys to nano blitz didnt go through doesnt mean that common sense tweaks should not be done...

Besides maybe the RC will see this and talk about it and your comments will be moot.

11. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

this is a "HOT" thread

12. Luis

Luis Walk On

I dont think it should be allowed. You can always gain a yard with a QB sneak, no matter if you put 3 DT in front of the center, the QB would get a yard.

13. scarface

scarface Walk On

so it should be allowed to let your opponent have a chance to win the game?

All I am saying is if you are winning in this situation you should be allowed to try and WIN the game not let your opponent have a chance.

That being said maybe an inch is easy to get BUT if you play better D on first 2nd and 3rd down you wont be in this situation and he CANT go for it.

14. gt86

gt86 Walk On

wil; you guys stop this crap, i'm so tired of reading all these flame threads every season about changing this rule or that rule. Everything is f ine how it is just shut the hell up and play your games and be happy with what you got. Seriously I'm so tired of this crap makes me want to to just say screw it and quit myself.

15. scarface

scarface Walk On

I am not trying to flame anyone I am just trying to post a realistic idea that could make the league better.

thing is it favors the losing team more than the winning team.

16. Mickey

Mickey Walk On

sounds to me that gaddy uses this rule to his advantage because in real football a coach would seal the deal a go for it and put the game away with a 3 point lead or a td lead... a person that sits and complains about a person going for it on 4th and one or inches needs to hang his head. i feel rule or no rule 3 points or 7 points isnt that much of a lead to just sit there and sqonder it away over a rule that really shouldnt be there for that sort of situation

17. Mickey

Mickey Walk On

sounds to me that gaddy uses this rule to his advantage because in real football a coach would seal the deal a go for it and put the game away with a 3 point lead or a td lead... a person that sits and complains about a person going for it on 4th and one or inches needs to hang his head. i feel rule or no rule 3 points or 7 points isnt that much of a lead to just sit there and sqonder it away over a rule that really shouldnt be there for that sort of situation

18. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

gaddy wasnt even involved in the game that brought this whole convo up.

scarface to your quote to luis "That being said maybe an inch is easy to get BUT if you play better D on first 2nd and 3rd down you wont be in this situation and he CANT go for it."

maybe if the offense past the chains on 2nd or 3rd down he wouldnt have to punt.

we are in year 3. keep the rules how they are.

19. scarface

scarface Walk On

all Im saying is I would hate to lose because I have to give my opponent a chance to win.

gaddy only said that because he posted what he did mocking my past posts.

which also is 3 seasons ago.

20. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Last season, i couldnt count on one hand how many times that rules was violated against me. I never complained because if your going to try a 4 and 2 on my side of the field, or 4-1 on your side. There is a chance i could stop you instead of a FG, or make a play and get a turnover on your side of the field. Even though with madden, my odds of stopping a sneak are very little, the implied odds of stopping you and scoring on a short field make it a chance that doesn't really bother me one way or another. Unless im getting cheesed out of punt after punt like EASO, then it gets annoying. Without rules, unnamed ppl would take advantage of situations and unfortunately, rules made because of the minority effect the majority.

The rule states that you can go for it on 4 and 1.... only if its past the 50. If your going for it up 7 late in the 4th Q on your side on the field, you must play like scar.

Fact of the matter is, Look what happened when Bellcick went for it on 4 and short agaist the colts in the regular season. They went for it and got stopped and We heard about it for weeks because no NFL coach would do that. Any sensible coach would put faith in their defense and try to win it that way.

NFL and Madden are totally different. In Madden, even though i know your going to sneak it with the QB to try and get the first, yet 9 times out of 10, i cant stop it. With suction blocks and the inability to move anyone presnap, it makes it almost impossible to stop. On the other hand, in the real life NFL, if the defense knew the offense was going to sneak, i would put money on the defense that they would stop it 95 percent of the time.

Keep the rules the way they are, force owners to punt late in the game if they are up, and make teams learn how to play defense.

21. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Learn to play defense, instead of trying any way possible to run out the clock. problem solved. If the other team didnt give you a chance to win, you forced a 4th down when the offense was trying to run out the clock, You call your last timeout, and then he sneaks it for the 1st down and then kneels it for the win. you would be first to scream bloody murder.

22. scarface

scarface Walk On

OX you can pinch your line and MLB's only things you cant do is bring the LB into the gap manually

23. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

i know this, BUT the only sneaking formation is goalline, and your lieing to yourself if your confidant in stopping a 4-1 QB sneak. even with everyone pinched down and lineman attacking the center you will give up the first down a vast bigger percentage than stopping it.

Now, in goalline defense, if i could move the 2 players off the LOS into the A gaps, then i could have a decent chance. but we cant and its terribly difficult stop without moving ppl manually presnap.

24. Kan

Kan Walk On

It's funny that scar is bringing up a rule for discussion because all he's done in the past is complain when other people do it.

25. Kan

Kan Walk On

Double True.

Keep the rule as is.