4th down possible change i think would be okay

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Branden, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Branden

Branden Walk On

4th down possible change i think would be okay

Coachgaddy posted in a thread tht he would like to go for it on 4th down with the lead. I can understand what hes sayin cus his receiver dropped a pass and it was frustrating and he felt he could keep his drive alive. I think the rule should be changed to where if you have the lead in the fourth and you are passed the opponents 40 yard line(field goal range) you should be able to go for it? i mean its just an opinion but can we talk about this because there are some teams tht have a FG range from about 30-35 and not 40 but would chance it neways going for it on fourth down because if you miss it from that far you end up in the same boat as if failing on a FG. See what im sayin. And in real life you can bet the patriots which he was playin with would go for it! So lets talk about this

2. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

I think there has to be a clearly defined rule. And if its going to be 4th and 1 or less than thats what it is. We would have to up it to a higher yardage number then. Whats stopping me from going for it on 4th and 10 from the 20 b.c I want a TD not a FG. There has to be a cut off and this situation is not extremely rare but not all that common. Most teams punt.

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I am fine with leaving it alone. He has the lead and had the ball and failed the get the 1st. It's called coffin punt and if he can't do that then he needs a better punter. The reason i want a 4th down rule is because I don't want people to have kickers and punters who are useless.

I am opened to tweaking it a little but I am fine with how it is.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Could we possibly consider a slight rule modification and add up to 2 yards can be gone for on 4th down? Sorry I can't get more specific, but I don't honestly remember the rule. :(

But could possibly say from the 50 to the 40, if it's 4th and 2, can go for it. From the 40 and closer, it has to be 4th and 1. If it ain't 4th and 1, it's punt time if you're on the 40 or closer.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I agree with Bobby..Between the 50 and 40 you can go for it if its 4th and 2/3 or less

6. natedawg212000

Ok. I could handle that. So what would rule rule state specifically?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

A) If you are past your own 40 yard line but not yet to your opponent's 40 yard line, you can go for it on 4th down if the yardage is 3 yards or less ONLY.
    B) If on your opponent's 40 yard line or closer, the yardage must be 1 yard or less to go for it on 4th down.
    C) If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    D) If you are losing in the second half you can go for it whenever you like.

Rules changed/edited from original rules (below) are colored different. Just wanted to make it easier to spot the changes. Think I got them all.

A) Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to go for it on 4th down.
    B) If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    C) If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter you can go for it whenever you like.

8. natedawg212000

sounds good, i'll post them up

9. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

These two rules basically are the same...

Bobby did you mean for rule D) If you are behind in the 4th qtr you can go for it whenver you like??

10. natedawg212000

rule A is the major change I think

11. natedawg212000

behind in the 2nd half (3rd or 4th) you can go for it.

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Actually, I did mean in the second half. But I didn't read rule C before typing rule D. So yeah, D can stay at 4th quarter. But I think we could eliminate a bit and say if you are down in the 2nd half by any amount you can go for it.

Sorry about the confusion. I apparently don't read well. lol

13. Branden

Branden Walk On

im a fan i really like this change

14. natedawg212000

So are we good for me to post this up?

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I am ready for this one.

16. natedawg212000

i am posting this up tonight if no arguments.