4th Down question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kan, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Kan

Kan Walk On

4th Down question

Reading the write up on the Oak/Den game brought up a question I've had in the past. What are the rules for going for it on 4th downs in a tie game?

Oak had a 4th and 2 with under 2 minutes to go on Denver's 40. That seems like a pretty acceptable time to go for it. However, the way the rules are written, it's not allowed:

03.01 - Going on 4th Down
    We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

* Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to go for it on 4th down.
    * If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

Thoughts?

2. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

agree with the rules.

and your interpretation of writeup.

3. bigmandy54

bigmandy54 mac54

Yes but it was a 4 and 2 and the rule said 1yard or less. I think this was the right call.

4. Kan

Kan Walk On

My point is that the rules don't really talk about a tie game. I think in a tie game, an NFL coach would go for it in that situation.

5. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Yeah I think should be modified because in a tied game I will be going for it.

6. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

WHAT? kick the FG, that is if janochoski, or how every you spell it, is till on the raiders roster. ive kick 70 yarders with no wind before with him.

As for the rule, i agree you should be able because most coaches in the NFL would, BUT ive never been losing or tied in the 4th this season or and thinking about it i dont think ive been behind in the 2nd or third either.

Kinda hard to be in that situation when you are the league leader in points scored and points allowed!

7. Kan

Kan Walk On

I'm glad you took the time to brag.

Allow me to be the first to say: No one gives a shit.

8. Kan

Kan Walk On

I honestly don't give a fuck about your stats.

How about instead talk about the question at hand without bragging.

9. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

BTW - I dare any of you guys to find a game where a team went for it on 4th and 2 from the 40 during a tie game. Wouldn't happen.

Rules need to be read and understood by all.

And we also need to clarify the challenge rule. I thought we didn't allow coaches challenges because they often lead to disconnects? Whats the deal here?

10. gt86

gt86 Walk On

THere is nothing in the rulebook stating you can't challenge plays and I have never heard of or had it cause a game to disconnect. YOu can challenge whenever you want. It's never cause a disconnect for me and I have never heard anyone stat it has caused a disconnect in this league.

11. coachgaddy

GT, there is a new bug out there that if you challenge a play it may cause a disconnect. There has been a high percentage of that in other leagues I guess it has not found it way here now. But an FYI to all owners.

12. Kan

Kan Walk On

How is this: With 64 seconds left in overtime against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis took a big gamble: He sent in his punting unit. But after lobbying by his conservative players, Lewis made the safer call, leaving the offense in to go for it on 4th and 11.

Not even 4th and 2, but 4th and 11 and with under 2 minutes left in a tie game.

I didn't even bother with Belichick.

Edit: It was on the Cleveland 41. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20091...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

13. gt86

gt86 Walk On

It's not a new bug it was a bug that was known when the game first released but as for as I know it dind't affect league games just pickup games. I guess Mega has been lucky that we haven't had this happen yet since there is usually a challenge in allot of my games. Just like in the game played today vs the Colts there was 3 1 by me and 2 by the Colts and no disconnects. But it doesn't matter you can't expect people to not challenge a play that could cost them a game or drive . For example in my game today Witten fumbled on a drive where i was driving to score and the Colts recovered. To me it didn't look like a fumble I challenge it and I got the call changed and went on to score and that imo lead to me securing the game.

14. scarface

scarface Walk On

WOW ... I will challenge if I think I should challenge a play I could care less if it disconnects.

This is just another example of how EA fucked the system or people are to bitchy and "claim" bugs when they lose challenges.

15. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I'll tell what really pisses me off though is and I'm not saying it was Tank or Gaddy but someone told one of our newer owners that we had a rule against challenges and especially when your leading when we don't. That kind of crap needs to stop your not on the Rc or the commish so however did this needs to quit making up rules and stating it's a Mega rule.

16. stealth

stealth Walk On

I have never had any problems with disconnects on challenge but I have a bug everytime I see the freakin fight for the challenge crap. What happens is it makes me puke every time

17. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Nice work on the find Sherlock :)

I think it is an extreme rarity and I wouldn't like seeing guys go for it on 4th and 2.

I got DC'd from a game earlier today on a challenge, and I could have sworn I saw a thread saying no more challenges. May have been from another league.

And it is laughable to think it would be people bitchy "claiming" bugs over lost challenges. I have not challenged a play this year (with exception of one early in greenbay that soldier and i discussed beforehand) because of games being dropped over it.

The real kicker is that there are people who this hasn't effected - and that I know guys will challenge plays on the wrong ends of blowouts just to possible get the DC - with no chance of either guy continuing.

Just some FYI.

18. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

GT86 - i told bigmandy and hendrikx when they joined not to challenge any plays because it does cause disconnects and I thought I read a thread on here saying no challenges. Might have been from another forum/league.

They are buddies of mine and I was giving both a rundown on league rules. Thought the challenge rule was in there - and if it is not it should be IMO - it happens to me on about 50% of challenges I am involved in.

19. scarface

scarface Walk On

Where can it be confirmed that replays causes disconnects? I have seen my share of replays and not once DC'd

20. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

21. coachgaddy

Nah wasn't me although OMFL has that rule in place. i wish I had a few challenges with disconnect then my record may be better. (y)

22. Kan

Kan Walk On

So I win, right?

23. PoloMD

PoloMD Walk On

In my league games so far (last season and current season) i have made around 10 challenges and i just had one disconnection (Last week game against Mags). I believe challenging a play it may have a minimal risk of disconnection. So far we don't have a rule against play challenge and i think we shouldn't.

Speaking of the 4th and 2 in the opponent 40 yard line, you have a better chance going for it on 4th down than trying to make a FG. i would go for it or punt.
    I know rules say something, but, if you don't want guys going for it on 4th down, then stop em, i bet they will quit trying to do so.

24. bigmandy54

bigmandy54 mac54

So why do we have rules if everyone wants to go for it on 4 and 2. If cant go for the kick then punt put them on the 10yard line and stop them with your def. But I like this rule cause if not everyone would be going for it on every 4 down they get a chance and from reading this post Kan would love to go for it on 4 and 11 just like Marv did with Cinn.

25. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Rules are good the way they are IMO.