4th Down Rule - Discussion / Poll

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by RRAHx2, Aug 20, 2013.

?

Which 4th down rules do you want?

1. New

21.7%
  2. Old

78.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

READ BELOW AND VOTE!

• NEW RULE: The rule now states you can go for it ANYTIME you are inside your opponent's 45 yd line, or if it is 4th & 3 or less regardless of field position
    • OLD RULE: 4th downs can be attempted when inside your opponent's 45 yd line on 4th & 3 or less
    New Rule's reasoning:
    Firstly, I was only able to accept this rule knowing we have no new sim players in this league. Every single person in here knows what is realistic and what isn't. We all have a good amount of football knowledge and can weigh the pros and cons of a 4th down attempt accurately.

Secondly, I am trying to make this league as less-restrictive as I can. As I said we are all smart adults, and know how to play. The more rules there are, the more restrictive the game play. I want coaches to be able to play as freely as possibly, and not be limited by rules. Some coaches are more agressive and go for it on 4th, some are more cautious and tend to play conservative. We all have been in a situation where football knowledge has been in conflict with league rules. I am trying to limit those situations. I trust we all know the difference between strategy and abusing AI. I was very restrictive with the rules last cycle, so I am trying to back off a bit now that we all are on the same page. Owners, should know that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. For example there is no rule saying you can't score 75 points in a game. however, we all know that if you do you will get a PM from me shortly. Similarly, I don't think we will see anyone going for a 4th down from their own 9 yd line, but if you do let me know and we can address it.

I could just move back the restriction to the 35 yd line, and be done with it. But again, I am tryin to play this as liberal as possible.

Lastly, I am not worried about an overpowered running game, because sliders will fix that. We had similar complaints in year 1 & 2 last cycle, but with a few slider adjustments, running the ball became very tough.

Old Rule's Reasoning:
    I think this 4th down rule needs restrictions. I can understand 4th down inside your opponents 45yd line but 4th and 3 or less regardless of field position is a bit much to me. This game always caters to offense. And from the new redic running engine and if the demo is any indication hell if you have a decent OL and RB I can see punters never coming on the field with this rule in effect lol. Sure we are seeing more 4th down attempts in NFL these days but most would certainly not attempt early in a game on their own end and the NFL can actually play defense something EA and this game series has notoriously struggled with. Something to keep in mind.

I agree with the others who want to see a bit of a tighter restriction the 4th downs. quite honestly there's nothing more un-sim than going for a 4th down inside your own 40 yardline if it's more than a couple of inches to get the 1st down, especially through the first 3 quarters.

oneshot24 - NE
    GDip - DEN
    Hitmhrd72 - JAX
    whatspeakyou - CHI
    nellycuz - PIT
    Snake Eyez - CIN
    Anthrax78 - DET
    The Rulah - Was
    SmashMouthFB33 - STL
    mmorgan184 - CLE
    AwaLL - MIA
    Coachmedicis - BUF
    Crowe - SF
    BrewBomber - GB
    Chief9 - NYJ
    nicknick68 - NYG
    UofCWildcat - DAL
    Automatik - AZ
    Wiznerd420 - MIN
    Elemnt - CAR
    BE5T NAME EVER - TB
    lere2001 - PHI
    priestmvp - KC
    jay2149 - ATL
    GritzBlitz - NO
    Craig Brown - IND
    NateDawg - SD
    SFRANGER6969 - SEA
    Brandon S. - HOU
    Aspect1 - OAK
    RRAHx2 - BAL
    Cole Springer - TEN

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. RRAHx2

ALL discussions about this rule have been moved here.

3. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I would implement a past own 45 yard rule since it would make sense to go for it then but if you are on your own 30 yard line and it's 4th and inches you usually never see teams go for it since it's automatic points for the other team if not converted. Midfield 4th and shorts are ok and seen quite often.

• Like Like x 3
  4. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

I also second a rule that would allow you to go for it on 4th down when past your own 45 yard line. That is a realistic spot where teams may think about going for it.

5. RRAHx2

(n) So current results are 1 to 7 against my new rule. LOL:dead:

6. priestmvp

priestmvp FOOTBALL!!!!

lol sorry buddy. I would go with majority because I feel we have a good group of guys but just went with gut on this.

7. RRAHx2

Come on! somebody gimme a sympathy vote...

8. SFRANGER6969

SFRANGER6969 Walk On

Yeah sorry man I just dont want to see a team go for it on 4th and 1 in the first qtr and they are inside their own 25yd line. I'm not saying it would happen with the guys in this league but clearly it would be allowed based on the rules and I dont feel like playing that way in a league.

Like a few above mentioned if you changed it to your own 45yd line I would support that but I dont see nfl teams going for it on 4th down if they are backed up any further than that. At least not that much of the time

9. RRAHx2

10. AwaLL

AwaLL Walk On

I feel like theres 0 reason to use new rule lol, just opens it up to possible non realistic play imo

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I like this a lot better. I don't mind someone going for it if they're around midfield and it's fourth and 2 or less. That's more realistic.

12. RRAHx2

OK with a very close final result of 5 to 18, we will keep the old 4th down rules. Poll closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.