4th Down Rule

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BadaBing319, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Hey guys, big topic of discussion in the blast group tonight about the 4th down rule. Dunlap swears it has been changed (LOL), but anyways I do think there are flaws in it. Here's how it is currently written:

I have multiple issues with this rule - think we should consider a complete rewrite for season 2. I will take a crack at it and post something over the weekend.

However, there is one thing in there that we may want to clarify before the playoffs start. It's the second rule about inside your opponents 40 yard line. Personally, I think there is that no-mans land between the 35 and the 40 yard line where it should be the coaches choice of what to do. Especially if you are playing in a game with heavy winds, I think a winning team should be able to go for it in this example: 4th and 2 at your opponents 38 yard line with a 16 MPH wind in your face. Shouldn't the team be able to go for it in that situation? 55 yard field goal probably out of the question with the wind. Probably don't want to punt from your opponent's 38.

I say we do one of two things:

1) Extend the first rule to read "past your own 40 yard line but not yet to your opponent's 35 yard line..." That helps the grey area I refer to above. <NOTE> I personally don't like where it starts (own 40), but I can perhaps address that with my proposed rewrite.

2) Add a rule between 1 and 2 that reads: "Between your opponents 35 and 39 yard line, it is a complete coaches choice on 4th down. You can choose to punt, go for it or kick a field goal, regardless of down and distance."

Teams go for 4th and 6 or 7 all the time in this situation. I don't think that's unrealistic at all in the no-mans territory.

Again, I can work on a rewrite and propose something for next season. However, I think we should consider fixing the issue above before the playoffs start...

Thoughts?

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

I kinda agree with what you said but the situation u were talking about he was up 14 in the 4th quarter. If you are down yes but if you are up 14 no team would go for it up 14 in the 4th quarter. They would either pooch punt or kick field goal. Even Peyton Manning don't go for it in that situation. I think the score should dictate it for sure. But being up 2 tds and wanting to go for it is just alittle off IMO.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Who was wanting to go for it UP 14 points?

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

And the 4th down rule has not been changed since we instituted it in year 1. No complaints in almost 4 years of OMFL play.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Yea Dunlap is full of it. This is the exact rule we added WAYYYY back.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I do think it needs to be tweaked BUT we must be careful and not make it too wordy where owners wont easily remember it.

Bada, I will let you post your idea and I will go from there.

As far as the playoffs this year, leave as is because just as Winuvas said I can remember one isuse where this rule has been a point of argument.

6. NDCOLTS1979

Stang was up 14 points and wanting to go for it because of 15 mph wind in his face. My feelings is if you let a team up 14 go for its going to create some bad blood. Especially when its 4th quarter. Kick it at low angle and hope it goes in or punt it away no Team in the NFL would ever go for it in this situation

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The wind is in your face, 4th quarter, UP 14 points...punt it high, let the wind catch it, pin your opponent deep, and play defense.

That is just being assinine in my opinion, and should NOT be tolerated. No NFL coach worth his salt would embarass his opponent in that fashion, and we won't allow it.

Mustang just trying to be a prick because it was Gaddy (I think, whoever the opponent is does not matter) and he is out of the playoff race and wanted to punish someone.

Last game I played him he was quick snapping the ball before I could adjust defense because, he said, "I thought rule was snap before 20 seconds on play clock."

Seems to me, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, is that people are TRYING to cheese wherever possible since AM is a cheating biatch. Maybe it's just me....

Yesterday's game with Miklos to me was what we want in OMFL. And not just because I won....good, solid defense, reading and reacting to what a team puts out there and audibling properly, and running the ball to grind clock. I had the ball for almost 20 minutes of the 32, we both played solid defense with some big plays mixed in, and overall, a fun game for BOTH teams.

8. BadaBing319

OK, I'll write something up keeping your suggestion in mind...

9. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i personally dont want to change it. its not as easy in real life as it is in the game to pick up first downs and i feel its a major cheese issue. i really don't want to change this, but if you will show me exactly the changes i can look at it. plus i am not the only one voting, i actually dont vote at all unless its a tie.

10. NDCOLTS1979

Yeah this will just cause wars and more frustration. People will take and complain. I know in the blast chat i straight up told stang that he couldnt do it. I mean being up 14 in the 4th. I wouldnt even consider it. I would take a penalty give myself 5 yards and pooch it out of bounds. Kicking is so easy really so no reason he wouldnt be inside the 20 if not 10

11. BadaBing319

Well, the change I have in mind cuts out some unrealistic situations that we are currently allowing as well IMO. I'll come up with something, we can debate and see where we're at.

12. BadaBing319

OK, finally had a chance to get around to this. Here's my proposal for a new fourth down rule:

Thoughts? I know two concerns were to keep it simple and "cheese-free." I think this accomplishes both of those goals and makes it a little more like what you'd see on Sunday.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

4th Downs- You are allowed to "go for it" on 4th downs in the following situations:
    A) Anytime when trailing in the 4th quarter
    B) Anytime when losing by 21 or more points
    C) Anytime inside your opponent's 5-yard line
    D) 4th and 1 or inches in your opponent's territory
    E) 4th and 3 or less when you have the ball between midfield and your opponents 40 yard line
    F) When you have the ball between your opponents 35 and 39 yard line - REGARDLESS of down & distance

In all other 4th down situations, you must either punt or kick a field goal.

I like getting rid of the rule that allowed teams to go for it in their own territory that we had before.

I like this setup Bada.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I can live with it.

15. BadaBing319

What would you change? Now's the time to speak up...

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, personally, I like it, but I feel it's too wordy. If people had trouble remembering the rule before, we just complicated it.

Not saying it's a bad complication. Just stating facts. It's more complicated Bada's way than it is now. And you know how people love us complicating rules.

17. BadaBing319

It may have more words, but it's not more complicated. It basically says you can go for it A, B, C, etc. and you cannot go for it any other time. I could care less what a few guys say about us having too many rules. Not having a fourth down rule would be asinine - we are just changing the existing one to close a couple loop holes and be more realistic.

18. natedawg212000

again, I dont have a vote but i dont like it. i think that we will have a TON of increased 4th downs and that won't be fun nor fair. if you guys want it then go for it, but if it gets out of hand ill shoot it down. ill always go back that it is always a million times easier to get a 1st in a game than it is in real life.

19. BadaBing319

I guess I don't understand - I think there are now LESS opportunities to go for it than there were before. Let's compare:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Old Rule New Rule Notes
    From 40 - 40, OK to go on 4th & 3 or less From midfield - 40, OK to go on 4th & 3 or less Eliminated 10 yards of the field in own territory that going for it was allowed
    From opponent's 40 and in, OK to go on 4th & 1 or less From 35 - 5, OK to go on 4th & 1 Changed rules from 39-35 yard line, 5 to 1 yard line
    Behind 2 TDs or more in first half, OK to go for it Behind 21 or more points, OK to go for it Must be down three TD instead of 2 to go for it anytime
    Losing in second half, OK to go for it Losing in fourth quarter, OK to go for it Eliminated the possibility of teams going for it in mid-third quarter down 1 point anywhere on the field
    No Rule OK to go for it from the 35 - 39 yard line of your opponent REGARDLESS of down & distance Allows for a coaches' decision in that no-mans land
    No Rule OK to go for it inside your opponent's 5-yard line This one I can see us adjusting to say 2 yard line or closer

20. BadaBing319

So, not sure how this works - does this get submitted to the rules committee for a vote? Is there any official process for doing that?

21. natedawg212000

ya a rules committee guy just submits for a vote. the thing that west did needs to be submitted also