4th Down Rules/Gameplay

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Dec 11, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

4th Down Rules/Gameplay

Hey guys, we had a situation come up in our game last night that we needed to pause and discuss. We got it worked out, but it made me wonder how this was being handled in other user vs user games.

How are you guys handling the 4th down rules? Are you following them to a T or are you making exceptions to them?

Let's discuss.

2. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

I have been following them so far I haven't had any issues I like punting and playing defense. I don't know about this dynasty but in my other one i don't think people are because one guy had 16 fourth down attempts.

3. GoGators

16 is way too many.

4. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Yea. That goes back to sim gameplay. I would say between 5 and 10 in a season would be reasonable. But, like you said, it should just depend on the situation! If you need it take it

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Firstly, I don't know how many 4th down attempts that I have, but I seriously doubt if it's too many.

Secondly, I just reread the rules and I don't follow them to a T. The 1 I don't is the "in your opponent's territory and it's 4th and 1 or less" rule. I keep it sim, and punting the ball on your opponents 35 on 4th and 3 is not sim at all. I go for it when a real team would go for it (IE. 4th and fairly short when you're outside of FG range, but will likely only gain ~20 yards by a punt, depending on the score of course).

I haven't had any complaints about 4th down either about or from any of my opponents in 2 years and I know that we've both broken the rule above before.

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

That was the situation last night. It was 4th and 5 on my opponents 37. If I had a kicker worth a damn I would gladly of kicked a 54yd FG, but he is garbage. It was a manageable 4th down and I am not going to punt for the reasons jello stated. Also if my Defense was stopping the opponent then maybe I would consider taking a delay and trying to pin my opponent, but when your opponents offense drives on you at will it doesn't really matter where they get the ball.

I think it is a judgement call, obviously if it was 4th and long from that range I wouldn't consider going for it, but a manageable 4th down I will go for it everytime in the same situation until I have a kicker that can kick 50yds+.

Because if we are going to keep saying "sim style"....we can go on and on about situations in "real" life where a teams goes for it. Everything is situational. I think as long as we don't abuse our game play it shouldn't be an issue.

By the way I did attempt the 54yd FG last night and it fell 5-10yds short.

7. jello1717

Yeah. In that situation, not only would I have had no issue with you going for it against me, I would've expected it.

8. GoGators

To clarify this issue that Hokie and I encountered, it was early in the 2nd quarter and the score was either 10-0 or 10-7. It was a close game and by no means a shootout. In the end, it was a meaningless issue because we got disconnected anyways.

The issue I have with it then if you can go for it on 4th and 5 because of a bad kicker, can you go for it on 4th and 7? If you can go for it on 4th and 7, then what about 4th and 8 or 9? Now all of a sudden, you can't argue against someone going for it on 4th and 10 if they're in between the 35 and 40 yard lines because by this logic, you'll only net 20 yards on the punt.

I'm not trying to create an issue, I just want to know how you guys as a league would like this handled or are handling it.

I personally in a situation where it's more than 2 or 3 yards on 4th down past the 50 and out of FG range would take the delay of game penalty and punt trying to pin my opponent deep.

However, I don't want my philosophy to rule the league, that's why I'm seeking your guys' input.

9. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I agree completely. But like they said. If its short then i would consider going for it. Or something along those lines. Its all about momentum

10. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I have no problem with another team doing a going for it as long as they are across the 50 and are either tied or behind. Gutsy calls or playing safe are what coaching football is about.....

11. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

We are all sim players and if you don't understand what that is by now you are in the wrong place. We shouldn't have to play with a set of printed rules beside us. I think if we just play with good judgement, but leave some room within reasonfor a coach to make a game changing decisions everything will be okay.

I think we are one of the stronger leagues on this site and it looks to stand that way with our strong leadership and everyone else chipping in. I think we have a great set of base rules, but with game play sometimes things are situational and should be treated that way.

In our 3 seasons of our core owners, to my knowledge, I haven't heard of anyone abusing any of the gameplay rules. I enjoy the discussions and I think it is good to eliminate any doubt, but I think we are doing just fine as a league.

12. jello1717

I agree with this for the most part. There was, however, a week during season 2 where 2 games had to be replayed because of complaints from the players, so it has happened before. That being said, I agree that this is a very good league and very sim.

Here is a post by Maggie talking about a disagreement or two.

And here is the thread about the 2 protested games

13. GoGators

I agree we do have a solid group of sim style players, or at least as we know of so far. Obviously it's difficult to come up with clear cut rules for every situation in the game and there are a lot of gray areas.

My biggest concern as commish is simply to make sure we all play by the same set of rules.

I guess the best way to handle this maybe that we should abide by the current rules. If you think you need to go for a 4th down that is outside of the rules but still within reason, you may. However, if your opponent thinks otherwise they may pause the game and discuss it with you. If the person attempting to go for the 4th down can't provide a reasonable explanation for going for it, they will need to take a delay penalty and kick it.

Is this reasonable?

I don't want people complaining to me that they lost due to someone going for a 4th down they shouldn't have, because after the game it's too difficult to correct the situation. I wouldn't expect people to replay a whole game due to one play. So please, if a situation comes up during the game, communicate it with your opponent immediately.

14. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

sounds good - i havent seen any bunk 4th down attempts yet but you never know i suppose