4th Down...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by bogey21, Oct 15, 2009.

1. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

4th Down...

O.1 - Going on 4th Down: We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

A. Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    B. If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    C. If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

Just wondering if we could add some flexibility to this. I have had 2 users, on in season 2 and 1 in season 3 that did not go by these but it was totally in the flow of the game so I had no issues with it. Just wonder if we could work it into the rules so its clear cut.

30 seconds to go in the Half, tie score 4th and 3 or 4 on the 37/38 yard line. With our kicking more realistic, and the weather effecting kicks more(rain in Oregon) he went for it. Also I stopped the NC game, down 17? on the 40ish going in to ask JR if I could go for it. He was cool with it and it was in the flow of the game. Maybe between the 35-50 you can go if its 4th and 2 or 3 and less? I'm cool if we keep it the same but just want to know if we want to set this in stone.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I agree Bogey. I think it is a case-by-case basis. We all have headsets, and it really doesn't mess the game up that much to pause it and clarify with your opponent if it is okay to go for it. Chances are, being the kind of players that we are on this site, that going for it makes perfect sense in the situation. Clarifying is always the safe bet, and I do it often.

I also get stuffed on 4th down often, so it ends up not mattering much! :D;)

3. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I say as long as it with the conditions of the game and it's ok with both users.

4. Flo308

Flo308 "Ocean Front Property"

I agree with this also Bogey.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I could spend an hour typing up all the scenarios. There is also the scenario where you are out of FG range but won't gain too much field position by punting.

I think I trust everyone here to use proper judgment when we are playing our games.

6. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i usually punt... strange as it sounds, but if someone pauses to ask me, i will always tell them to go for it.... if you are playing against me, just pause on 4th down, you dont even have to type.... and i will recognize your are going for it.... no big deal here, as long as its realistic i am cool with it....

7. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I feel the same way.

As long as no one is going for it on 4th down and inches at their 40 yard line, or 4th and 5 from my 45 yard line, I don't have a problem with it......unless they get it, and then they are cheezing bastards and Im gonna bitch and moan, and throw my controller, and call you every name in the book and then come on here and say "good game, it was fun" but in the back of my mind Im plotting your death.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

the rules are there to set the expectation of what should happen... there will be situations that arise where it's logical not to follow the letter of the law. As long as it's reasonably SIM coaching decision, i don't think most are going to have a problem.

it's when people start stretching that discretion that we have to refer back to enforcing the rule more strictly.... as long as everybody is cool with how the situation played out, there shouldn't be a problem.

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I'm not in this league but I'm glad to read this. Let me ask you guys opinion on a scenario:

Let's say Team A is up 7-6 with 1:30 to go in the first half and has 4th and 3 from Team B's 38. It's out of field goal range because of Team A's weak ass kicker but they didn't want to punt because Team A will net about 18 yards of field position more than likely. Team A's Defense has been playing great too so he's not too worried about the field position with the clock running down. Team B also has 1 timeout.

Go for it or no?

For the record Team A went for it and got it with about 25 yards to spare.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Castor, I think that is pretty much some of the scenarios we are talking about. A lot of college coaches would have made that same decision.

11. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i cant really knock your decision.. in between the 30 and 40 yard line is considered the gray area for me.... i know my kicker is terrible outside of about 45 yards and punting might be the best option but sometimes you realize you are in a dogfight and might need to keep the ball, so going for it in a realistic situation (4th and 3 from your opponent's 38 yard line is realistic , as a 55 yard field goal is out of hte question in most cases)