5 Lessons a Online Franchise Greenie MUST LEARN Quickly !

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CoachWest, Sep 25, 2010.

1. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

5 Lessons a Online Franchise Greenie MUST LEARN Quickly !

Hello my OMFL Brothers! Upon coming back into the Online Franchise version of Madden I am reminded of the lessons that I learned from yester years that I wanted to share (In addition I needed to review them myself) so that we can keep you all engaged and with us for a long time. Below are the top 5 I have come up with, there maybe more that I am reminded of down the line ,but, few are more important than these when you first start out :)

1) Drop the Halo! -

One of the hardest lessons for me when I first started was accepting that I may not be perfectly str8. Of course the reason for this is beforehand I would play with my local friends and online. Compared to them I looked like the Pope but, once you come into this community you will find very quickly that more than likely your gaming is very limited and more experienced folks can legitimatley, KICK YOUR ARSE!
    Solution: Best thing for you to do is learn from everyone here. I have to admit, once I started using mutiple formations, plays, strategy's I really did become the player I thought I was. So Drop the Halo and start playing some ball, if you think you had the upperhand with your local friends before..., wait until you unleash the the FURY you learn here.

2) Before you say yes to a Team offer.... Check the Roster! -

Ok so you have been invited to an Elite League and your told the Vikings are open right! Heck ya dude Favre, Perterson,Harvin, Berrian, Allen... I'm In! Congrats my friend you have just been the victim of a ravaged team :). Anyone who has played for more than a year or two knows that the teams are made available internally first, which means what is left over is well... what nobody else wanted. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down the offer of a team in a good league, but to feel that you have been taken advantaged of during an entire season does very little to help comfort you while..... well.... your getting your getting your ARSE KICKED!! (See Above)
    Solution: Know what you are getting into, but don't hesitate to accept the offer. Obviously, we are here for more than just winning so take advantage of the other things we have to offer. Community, Mentorship, Common Values, listen once you allow the losses to move you to improve instead of ruin your day... You will really start understanding what this is all about. In addition, you won't be stuck with this team forever. At the very least when the new game comes out, you'll have a reset on life and be able to ruin them the way you see fit :) .

3) Your wife WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND! -

This is not as big a problem is used to be back when the ladies weren't into gaming and before there was a Facebook. Back in the day are wives saw us chatting on ICQ with a CPU in our lap, laughing out load, or in deep intense trade negotiations. So from their prospective we are getting mad at a pretend owner of the Falcons, who refuses to consider trading Vick ( Hey Vick was HUGE in 2005) for a 1st and 2nd rounder... To us, this will make or break our team next season! Once we had a league organizer who's wife was so pissed about the lack of attention that in the heat of an argument took a hammer and put it through the CPU screen (Rest in Peace Cy). Thankfully, nowadays the lady folk have been exposed to online interaction (Facebook and Such) so they understand a little more. However, I would say my wife accepts it more than she understands it and for now, that is enough.
    Solution: You need to schedule and take control of your time. One of the number one reasons that people fail going into business is they don't understand Time Management. The same should be said for our Madden "Businesses". You need to schedule your games, your interaction time, your league activity , and remember that your family doesn't have you at home when your looking at the screen. You also need to alert your wife if the offseason is coming up. I will tell you back when there were no trade limits (By the way if you were wondering why there are, you will see a picture of Nate and Myself on the top of the wall. We had more people passing through than a Brothel in Texas) You could spend literally DAYS AT A TIME getting things done. Though it isn't as bad now, make sure to let them know, and plan something in exchange before and/or after to even things out.

4) Everyone is an AL Davis fan! -

I have been waiting for this one the whole time because I can imagine the grief I am receiving by just saying this out loud, but TAKE YOUR MEDICINE. Ok guys Al Davis gets grief for what... Always looking at the Biggest, Baddest, Speediest guys off the bus... I have a guy on my roster who is rated a 51 at reciever that I am paying 4 million .... Why because it was a Free Agent with over 90 speed :).
    Solution: Guys it is inevitable, this is simulation football meaning that we can make the stupid guys look like stars if given the opportunity to do so. So HOLD ON TIGHT to your speed, strength, and power. If you get an offer, make sure to shop it around for a bit. Physical attributes are like ELECTRONIC GOLD in them there hills :).

5) We are all Brothers.. for good and for bad -

Finally, this is the most important lesson I can give you. Guys I have seen grown, mature, christian men flame a guy because he ran a playaction on 3 and 9. Should he have done it, probably not, but trust me the end result in no way justifies the action. Me and my brother get together very rarely these days. Our schedules and limited common interests don't allow for many opportunities for us to get together. However, Madden has always been away for us to meet on common ground. We talk trash, we get mad, we push each other. However, at the end of the game, we still feel closer to each other than we do at any other time.
    Solution: Guys... your going to win some, your going to lose some. Your going to play good games that you feel were st8 as an arrow, and some that feel like you are eating in France (REAL Stinky Cheese There). Enjoy the ride folks, Have Fun, Get Better, and most of all NEVER forget to say "GG".

Well guys, that about covers it. From 10 or so years of gaming those were the most important lessons I learned. Sooner or later our time will pass and you "Greenies" will be the trunks the other branchs grow from. Until then.. Make sure that you come back to the root everyonce in awhile, we will make sure your ready to carry the load.

GOD BLESS

Coach West

2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Heh, I like.

Welcome aboard Westy. You sound like good peeps.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Good stuff, man. Gonna be fun to have you around!

4. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Nice man glad to have you on board

5. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Nice read - really puts things in perspective...

6. VishaL

VishaL OMFL Eagles / PMFL Seahawks

FYI Throw out that 1st rounder, you can get Vick for a 2nd rounder now :)
    nice read!