5 Star Recruiting Rule

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jan 27, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Just looking at some stuff and I think we definitely need to consider a 5 star cap or something for next season.

Currently, there's only 4 schools that are a 6 star prestige (Wisc, ASU, UGA, & Stan) all of which are Users. The CPU doesn't have any 6 star schools and there doesn't look to be any that will make the jump next season. The only ones close are Maryland, Nevada, & TCU from the looks of it. Also, there's 2 or 3 user teams that could possibly jump to 6 stars next season (MSU, UofM, Arkansas).

With the way things look right now, the CPU will continue a downward spiral. It's already evident this season as Users have signed 21 of the 26 five stars available with ASU and Wisconsin bringing in 6 and 5 respectively. In the past 4 was always the cap and while I didn't think anyone would pass that this year with the improved recruiting, obviously I was wrong.

Clearly with the offseason this weekend something would need to be decided on pretty quickly so we can go into next season with an idea of what the plan is.

JCspartan2

What's your thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I think 4 is fair. 5 is the best I've pulled in this year, and that's a lot. 6 is damn good and jello1717 beat out some users for those guys.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

While that's nice in theory, it's not gonna be CPU teams that sign those extra :5stars: guys. It's gonna be the :4stars: and :5stars: users that dakota7 and I beat out for our :5stars: kids that get our table scraps. Guys like HB Will Burks will now go to users like UofCWildcat instead since he wouldn't have to compete with me.

All I see that doing is handicapping those users that have built their team up and giving guys who weren't good enough to do it free :5stars: because those of us that were good enough to build up our program can't go after them. I think it'd be bullshit if UofCWildcat can remain as a :5stars: program, yet bring in the same caliber recruiting class as mine after I've busted my ass to build them up to where they are. If he wants to bring in the kind of recruits that I am, I say let his ass beat me on the field first, not just thrown him free recruits because I'm not allowed to sign them.

4. jello1717

And while I've pulled in one hell of a class this year with 6 :5stars: kids, on my current roster, I have a grand total of 5 :5stars: kids (2 JRs, 1 SO, 2 FR), so it's not like I've been pulling in mind blowing classes like this before.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

4 would make a nice cap, I prefer 3 myself. Makes it more fun to battle people over recruits and allows the CPU to sign some decent players, giving us more of a challenge week to week. And if you really want to get technical about it, 2 Offense and 2 Defense.

6. jello1717

1. I think that a cap of 3 would do the opposite of creating recruiting battles,but would instead cause us to go after the other guys that no one else is pursuing.
    2. 2/2 wouldn't work because defensive :5stars: are very rare. Out of 26 :5stars: in this class, there are only 4 defensive guys so a 2/2 would essentially limit most of us to 2 :5stars:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Hey, the Huskies are pursuing those 'other guys' !

8. jello1717

It's like I said, this kind of a cap only hurts guys like me and only helps guys like GoGators and edge7771 and UofCWildcat and you (okay, maybe not you :cool: ).

If we did put in a cap (and it's awfully deep into the OD to do this) then I'd want a lower cap for the lower prestige teams. A :5stars: school should have a lower cap than a 6* school.

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

This part is true in a sense. Still doubtful some of these schools sign top recruits even with a cap. Not bashing them, just saying by the way the game has gone so far.

10. jello1717

I'm going from experience. I don't know about you, but when I was a 5* school I wasn't pulling in the great classes ( never mor than 2 :5stars: ) so they might not hit the cap, but then I wasn't recruiting against schools with a cap either. I know for a fact that UofCWildcat would have 3 :5stars: kids in this class (Burks) instead of 2 if I were capped at 4. So, if I'm capped at 4, then I'd definitely want him capped lower.

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

Overall, most :5stars: players are overrated because most :4stars: are better then them. I have even found :2stars: that are better in the long run.

12. jello1717

From my experience, it's the position rank that you need to look at. A :4stars: FS#1 will be much better than the :5stars: WR#12. If we did have a limit, it would produce some good competition for those rare non-WR/HB/ATH :5stars: kids, that's for sure, but there's already great competition for them now.

13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

A big part of the talent gap between us and the CPU is the fact the CPU doesn't sway players back but we do. I'd start by not allowing us to sway anyone back.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Masler

Masler Moderator

So just skip Players Leaving?

Or do you mean if the CPU has a good lead on any recruit we leave it alone.

15. jello1717

I do this in my offline.
    Just skipping players leaving.

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

That would definitely create less of a talent gap.

17. dakota7

I'm not opposed to recruiting restrictions either, but I agree with jello1717 that a hard cap isn't the answer. And if you look at the recruits, the SPARQ ratings has skewed the distribution of players and their rankings. I don't think there's been a 5 star offensive lineman yet. What about a weighted system that would limit 5 star AND 4 star?

Each season, each team is assigned points based on their team prestige. A 6 star team gets 12 points, a 5 star team gets 10 points, a 4 star gets 8 points...you see the pattern.

For every 4 star player you sign, it costs you 1 point. For every 5 star you sign, it costs you 2 points.

3 star and below players are free.

Thoughts?

18. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think the major difference would come in keeping us from swaying players leaving. I know when I lost three players to transfer after year two or three that I was counting on to play as Juniors or Seniors it took me a year or two recover on the field. I had to scramble in the offseason to find replacements which was not easy(damn near impossible).

I would also be in favor of limiting redshirts. Say any skill position recruit ranked in the top 5 of their position cannot be redshirted. Lets face it how many of these guys redshirt in real life? Saban is a great coach but would he ever been able to convince Julio Jones to take a redshirt?

• Like Like x 1
  19. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Like this x1000!!!

I'm all for implementing this idea. No swaying.

The comment about redshirting and Saban/Julio Jones is spot on as well. The problem is how to make it applicable but resemble real life. The guys that Wisconsin has been signing at least half of those guys would not take a redshirt. Additionally, if they did, a decent chunk of them would leave after their RS SO seasons. Instead though most of them are staying till JR and SR. That's the hole in the logic.

On the other side of the coin though, the three star guys me and Washington are recruiting would are no where near the same caliber and like most smaller programs need to redshirt a high % of their players.

The best thing I can think of would be the no-talk back rule. I haven't had a person try to leave early yet and I'd imagine the Wisconsin's of the world have had plenty that have been swayed. So maybe the no-talk back rule will straighten this out. Let's give it a try for a season.

20. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I don't know the answer right off but I cannot remember dakota7 having many players leaving that were eligible to be swayed or trying to leave period. But I think Someone referenced that with his dynasty he has built he should have guys leaving in droves like the real life powerhouses do.

21. dakota7

I've lost.....about 5 or 6 I think. One guy didn't want to come back, the rest weren't eligible to be swayed. And I let one guy go to MSU.

22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Sp wait. Are we voting on a rule then for redshirt? Top 5 of their position don't get redshirted?

23. jello1717

I don't think so. Someone theorized (probably correctly) that not allowing swaying would help the no-redshirting problem that some of you (not me!) have since they'll have guys leaving early which means FR will be in the 2 deep more often.

24. jello1717

25. Masler

Masler Moderator

I don't think we should really. Just because a 5 star is interested in you doesn't mean you HAVE to go after them though. There are two :5stars: WR interested in me from CA but I am not going to after them because I have enough WR to keep me happy for the next season or so, plus their abilities don't impress me for 5 star prospects.

Bottom line: Be real about it. None of us are Urban Meyer....except maybe you Jello.