#5 UCLA @ #3 Purdue

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

#5 UCLA @ #3 Purdue

This game pitted two very competitive teams that like to play it close to the vest. Purdue, because they can't afford turnovers, and UCLA, because they no longer have a senior QB with a golden arm.

Sophomore quarterback Michael Roberts (93 spd!) was difficult to contain, but made two key mistakes on the day that cost the Bruins this game.

On the first UCLA drive, Roberts made an ill-advised pitch on an option play, and cornerback Michael Adams literally made the best play I've ever seen a CB make defending the option. Adams dove for the pitch, knocking it away. Free safety Chad Dean - seemingly always in the right place at the right time - scooped up the ball. He then outmaneuvered the Bruin offense down the field and scored, putting the Boilermakers up 7-0.

"Fuck," said Coach Fosh.

Succinct quotes aside, this play gave Purdue a huge momentum boost early in the game. Even though UCLA came right back and scored on a nice 29-yard run by speedster Emmanuel Nicholas (who did the "leaking oil" animation and then proceeded to seemingly run faster while doing so), Purdue still seemed to have the momentum.

Both teams played fairly well on defense in this game, making key stops and forcing punts - a combined 5 punts on the day, which is well above average for a Tradition user v. user game.

In the second quarter, the Purdue offense started to take advantage of the momentum swing created earlier. Jonathan Campbell, a sophomore running back, emerged in this game as a go-to guy for the Purdue offense. He was the benefactor of incredible blocking by the Purdue offensive line, who matched up well against the Bruins' 3-3-5 defense. Campbell's line: 34 carries, 177 yards, and a touchdown. Considering his long gain of the day was a 14-yarder, it's easy to see how consistent he was.

After a long drive, Campbell scored on a 1-yard run to put the Boilers up 14-7. Three punts later, Purdue made their biggest play of the game on offense when QB Anthony Robinson found speedster Brian Williams on the seam. Williams caught the ball, made one defender miss and went 63 yards for a 21-7 lead with 2:45 remaining in the first half.

[​IMG]
    Brian Williams scores on a long touchdown play

UCLA used most of the remaining time on the clock to work their way down the field. They weren't panicking, as Coach Fosh never does, and they had a plan. They kicked a field goal to get within easier striking distance at halftime, 21-10.

The third quarter was pretty much a defensive slugfest. Roberts made his second key mistake in the quarter, as cornerback Josh Morris tackled Roberts and forced the ball free. Defensive tackle David Rogers pounced on the ball, quelling a great scoring chance. The only scoring in the quarter was a field goal that put the Boilers up 24-10.

In the fourth quarter UCLA opened it up a little more, bringing their dangerous 3rd and 4th receivers on the field more often. Still, Purdue made a few key defensive plays here and there to keep the damage to a minimum. After a 6-yard touchdown run by Nicholas, Purdue marched right back down the field and scored on a 6-yard touchdown pass to Darren Swanson to effectively put the game out of reach at 31-17, with just four minutes remaining.

[​IMG]
    J Watson (yes, his full name is J) gets Purdue's only sack of the game

The solid performance by Purdue puts them at 3-0 after the first phase of their schedule. They have a bye next week before facing Illinois on the road and #12 Notre Dame at home.

UCLA doesn't get a break, as they host #10 Texas (Kingerock) next week and don't have a bye week until week 9.

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I see that I was wrong on when the second fumble occurred. I could see you were gonna be getting all the stats so I wanted to get the game saved for us.... So i guessed on that and I think I was wrong.

Your version of the play is 100X better looking, nice work.